Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Honestly, the crowds have been majority large and much better than group stages africa 2010. Look at the Canada, Tunisia, and Morocco games and they definitely traveled in massive numbers, and of course, Argentina/Mexico/Brazil/USA/Wales got the usual huge support. People really do have short memories or are just thinking of Euros crowds. World CUP is the biggest sporting event but Group Stage Crowds vary depending on location. For example, the Dutch start traveling in droves once knockouts start if the location is a bit far(africa 2010, this year).. They travel for EUROS during Group Stages because of easier logistics. Dutch Crowds didn't arrive in Africa until KO ROUNDS as well... This is the same with Spanish crowds.

It's interesting because, despite Spain's success, they don't have much local or global support so they heavily rely on their home crowds traveling. Argentina and Brazil got behemoth-level global support anywhere they go so their games will always be packed (native Argentinian/brazilians+all other nationalities rooting for them). I think a lot of posters here are from EUROPE so they don't quite realize how big the global support for even some countries like Morocco is compared to say Spain (despite the talent gap). Look at how many Morocco fans are there against Belgium today.. It's not all from Morocco, it's from support all over the World.

Italy is another country that relies heavily on traveling Italians so if you go back to their Group Stage games throughout the years at international tournaments, it's usually smaller crowds than say Germany or England group stage games.

South America Uraguary don't travel as much until KO stages compare to say Colombians who travel en mass even during Group Stages...(hence you see much smaller crowds for Uraguary games compare to Colombia)

None of this is a slight on Netherlands/Italy/Spain/Uraguary's football passion of course.. these countries just like most of the World' have football as their major sport and the nations are heavily invested in the national team's successes. Just they like to cheer on their countries more from the comforts of the bar or their home if the location is not ideal (2010/this year,at least initially until ko rounds)

Reactions: Rood

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
It literally says what happened in the article.
Actually, it doesn’t.

It provides no context. I’m confused as to why Belgian fans would trash their own cities/clash with the police due to losing a football match. Any Belgians on here who can explain what has led to this?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Actually, it doesn’t.

It provides no context. I’m confused as to why Belgian fans would trash their own cities/clash with the police due to losing a football match. Any Belgians on here who can explain what has led to this?
I think they were Belgians from Moroccan descent. Such riots happened in the Netherlands too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Actually, it doesn’t.

Doesn't look like you read the article.
The victory for the North African side was a big upset at the World Cup and was celebrated by fans with Moroccan immigrant roots in many Belgian and Dutch cities.

Lyng

Some quatari cnuts where trying to mock the germans protest by parading around posters of Özil.

MarylandMUFan

So only the privileged will get to see their team play in a worldcup.
WTF are you on about? If the US host it, people will be able to fly to the tournament to see the games, just like every other World Cup.

To add on, you think it's the poor of West Africa traveling to Qatar to the WC? Of course it's those who can afford game tickets, hotel costs, airplane flights (aka the privileged).

Giggsyking

WTF are you on about? If the US host it, people will be able to fly to the tournament to see the games, just like every other World Cup.

To add on, you think it's the poor of West Africa traveling to Qatar to the WC? Of course it's those who can afford game tickets, hotel costs, airplane flights (aka the privileged).
:lol:
Hope you are not kidding and you know it is almost impossible to obtain a visa to the USA for Africans. You make it sound so easy "Fly" like its a local travel.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not sure which thread to ask this in but what's the average global viewership per game? Must feel weird for many of these players who don't play for big clubs to be playing for tens of millions of viewers.

MarylandMUFan

:lol:
Hope you are not kidding and you know it is almost impossible to obtain a visa to the USA for Africans. You make it sound so easy "Fly" like its a local travel.
Actually, I was not aware of how difficult that is. I assumed (probably wrongly) that the USA would work with the various African countries to facilitate visa's for an event like this. I am disappointed that this wouldn't be the case.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Actually, I was not aware of how difficult that is. I assumed (probably wrongly) that the USA would work with the various African countries to facilitate visa's for an event like this. I am disappointed that this wouldn't be the case.
There was a discussion in this thread or another about whether Germany loosened their requirements for the world cup but it wasn't clear. I wouldn't be surprised if US didn't loosen anything though.

Mshafeek

So only the privileged will get to see their team play in a worldcup.
Not only Africans - Indians, Pakistanis, Bangaldeshis... south asians in general...basically a good part of the world population - this has been the most accessible WC ever for these people. If one thinks about it - it is quite in the interest of justice that the MENA region was awarded a WC. And it has turned out to be exactly what was expected - a grand celebration for people of this region. But the privileged ones are still harping on bout how this WC shouldn't have been held in qatar.

Kopral Jono

Fans of South American teams travel in large numbers all the time, but for all the talks of a World Cup boycott by the Europeans travelling European support (at least judging from live stadium pictures and tournament vlogs) has indeed been more than decent thus far. Only Belgium and Germany haven't brought good numbers from what I've seen.

juggernaut1986

Not only Africans - Indians, Pakistanis, Bangaldeshis... south asians in general...basically a good part of the world population - this has been the most accessible WC ever for these people. If one thinks about it - it is quite in the interest of justice that the MENA region was awarded a WC. And it has turned out to be exactly what was expected - a grand celebration for people of this region. But the privileged ones are still harping on bout how this WC shouldn't have been held in qatar.
Why is this World Cup more accessible than Russia? The distance is similar from South Asia. Russia scrapped all visa requirements for the World Cup.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why is this World Cup more accessible than Russia? The distance is similar from South Asia. Russia scrapped all visa requirements for the World Cup.
In the run up to Russia 2018 there was lots of controversy about racism - would black, MENA and Asian fans have felt welcome?

The majority population of Qatar is actually from the Indian Subcontinent

juggernaut1986

In the run up to Russia 2018 there was lots of controversy about racism - would black, MENA and Asian fans have felt welcome?

So it is accessible for people already living there. I am curious how is it more accessible for traveling fans. People raised the issue of visa in previous posts which was not a problem for Russia.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So it is accessible for people already living there. I am curious how is it more accessible for traveling fans. People raised the issue of visa in previous posts which was not a problem for Russia.
No that's not what I meant, I mean that there are strong links between those countries due to the huge migrant population so many many flights per day between say India and Doha plus much cheaper than flights to Russia so much more accessible

And you ignored the vital point about fans from Asia, Africa not feeling welcomed to Russia regardless of visa situation

Last edited:

Foxbatt

The biggest issue with Qatar was actually accomodations. The empty seats are already sold. So as FIFA is concerned they have made their money on the seats.
You don't need to even have a ticket for a match to go to Qatar. But it is going to be a requirement for USA and Canada. A lot of Europeans and north Americans don't understand the difficulty for Asians and people from the African countries to get a Visa to USA, Canada and EU.

Spoony

The People's President

Not a chance. I'm hoping the likes Morocco get to host a WC. They've tried so many times....

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not a chance. I'm hoping the likes Morocco get to host a WC. They've tried so many times....
Yep, I've been there, and the amount of football matches being played everywhere on makeshift pitches is amazing. Inspirational stuff.

But with only 4 billionaires despite owning a large chunk of Africa's total private wealth they can feck off.

Spoony

The People's President
Yep, I've been there, and the amount of football matches being played everywhere on makeshift pitches is amazing. Inspirational stuff.

But with only 4 billionaires despite owning a large chunk of Africa's total private wealth they can feck off
What's this, Mo?

MarylandMUFan

But with only 4 billionaires despite owning a large chunk of Africa's total private wealth they can feck off.
Could they do a Morocco/Portugal joint WC (or Morocco/Spain)? Less distance to travel than any WC in the United States let alone the Mexico/USA/Canada one. Could sell it by bridging the continents.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
2010 was their best chance, it was close with South Africa (14 votes to 10) - although it's now clear that WC bid was also full of corruption:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...won-2010-World-Cup-vote-not-South-Africa.html

the expansion now makes it difficult for any 1 African country to host - a joint North African World Cup would be great but Morocco and Algeria hate each other for a start so probably a nonstarter

There were talks for Morocco to join the 2030 Spain/Portugal bid, but Morocco and Spain have since fallen out diplomatically so thats looking unlikely at the moment

Spoony

The People's President
Don't mind me, I'm the Qatar Grinch.

Basically Morocco won't have enough bribe money.

I read somewhere that Morocco only had 4 billionaires but this list says they have only 2 (of Africa's 18 billionaires)
Yep. The countries with the
*cough*deepest pockets usually host the WC and Olympics. Next one one is in the US. Perhaps the most horrible nation of them all.

MarylandMUFan

Yep. The countries with the
*cough*deepest pockets usually host the WC and Olympics. Next one one is in the US. Perhaps the most horrible nation of them all.
Honestly, I thought any US hosted WC should be limited to a specific region to reduce travel. Like a Boston to DC WC where the longest travel time is a half day train ride. Instead, they doubled down and threw in Canada and Mexico. Might as well just have a WORLD CUP and have games all over the world.