Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Spoony

The People's President
2010 was their best chance, it was close with South Africa (14 votes to 10) - although it's now clear that WC bid was also full of corruption:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...won-2010-World-Cup-vote-not-South-Africa.html

the expansion now makes it difficult for any 1 African country to host - a joint North African World Cup would be great but Morocco and Algeria hate each other for a start so probably a nonstarter

There were talks for Morocco to join the 2030 Spain/Portugal bid, but Morocco and Spain have since fallen out diplomatically so thats looking unlikely at the moment
Germany won the bid in...erm...similar circumstances. From what I can recall South Africa were all set and surprisingly lost out in 06. As for Morocco I'm sure I read they'll bid with Tunisia for the 2030 WC.

Spoony

The People's President
Honestly, I thought any US hosted WC should be limited to a specific region to reduce travel. Like a Boston to DC WC where the longest travel time is a half day train ride. Instead, they doubled down and threw in Canada and Mexico. Might as well just have a WORLD CUP and have games all over the world.
That said it'll be great seeing the Azteca host WC games again. You've got some great cities to be fair, it's a shame folk aren't crazy about game.

Foxbatt

Germany won the bid in...erm...similar circumstances. From what I can recall South Africa were all set and surprisingly lost out in 06. As for Morocco I'm sure I read they'll bid with Tunisia for the 2030 WC.
If my memory serves me right the New Zealand delegate was sacked because New Zealand had promised to vote for South Africa and instructed their delegate to vote as such. But he went against the instructions and voted for Germany.

Spoony

The People's President
If my memory serves me right the New Zealand delegate was sacked because New Zealand had promised to vote for South Africa and instructed their delegate to vote as such. But he went against the instructions and voted for Germany.

Ahhh yes.

Loads of cash thrown around by Germany.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yep. The countries with the
*cough*deepest pockets usually host the WC and Olympics. Next one one is in the US. Perhaps the most horrible nation of them all.
Qatar cost (not in bribes) more than all the previous Olympics and World Cups combined to stage, according to Sportswriter David Winner on some and Off The Ball podcast here.

MarylandMUFan

That said it'll be great seeing the Azteca host WC games again. You've got some great cities to be fair, it's a shame folk aren't crazy about game.

Not sure where you get that. Bars were filled all over the country for the game yesterday. I mean, we have over 300 million people, there area enough football fans to sell out every game multiple times when we host:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Apart from Qatar, more tickets were sold in USA than any other country for this World Cup - might not be their biggest sport but there are clearly many football fans out there

MarylandMUFan

Apart from Qatar, more tickets were sold in USA than any other country for this World Cup - might not be their biggest sport but there are clearly many football fans out there
Really, we sell out 100,000 seat stadiums for pre-season friendlies when Manchester United come out here. And those tickets are not cheap ($50-$300 a ticket). Just google Manchester United + Michigan and it's remarkable (110,000).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Not sure where you get that. Bars were filled all over the country for the game yesterday. I mean, we have over 300 million people, there area enough football fans to sell out every game multiple times when we host:

Aye... Just by virtue of having a huge population, even if the percentages are low - there are still a lot more people playing soccer in the U.S then there will be playing it in the UK... and I imagine that will translate somewhat to watching too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Pretty obvious at this point the early Neterlands Senegal match was exception rather than norm regarding fans. Overwhelming majority of these group stage matches have had large to massive crowds.... Obviously the atmosphere of these crowds vary depending on the country but the attendance have destroyed SAFRICA 2010 group stage (eye test)

Cloud7

Pretty obvious at this point the early Neterlands Senegal match was exception rather than norm regarding fans. Overwhelming majority of these group stage matches have had large to massive crowds.... Obviously the atmosphere of these crowds vary depending on the country but the attendance have destroyed SAFRICA 2010 group stage (eye test)
2010 was the worst WC I watched in my lifetime, in pretty much every respect. Quality of football, excitement/upsets, atmosphere (those goddamn vuvuzelas)

Real Name

2010 was the worst WC I watched in my lifetime, in pretty much every respect. Quality of football, excitement/upsets, atmosphere (those goddamn vuvuzelas)
Exactly, awful world cup, truly awful. Vuvuzelas did my head in.

fck

Supports
Bayern
It's good that the next WC is in North America tbh.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
https://dohanews.co/female-world-cup-fans-feel-safer-thanks-to-qatars-alcohol-ban/

I posted this in another thread - but more relevant here:

No catcalling or hassle, why female football fans feel safer in Qatar than at matches at home

Ellie Molloson, an 18-year-old Nottingham Forest fan and advocate for safer spaces for women in football, was "really nervous" about travelling to Qatar to cheer on England.

"I didn't think I was going to feel safe here. I was worried about if I show skin will I get arrested... and it's just not been the case at all," she told ITV News.

She adds: "I felt incredibly safe."

"I've not had any catcalling or any of the strange comments that you would perhaps get in England sometimes.

"They've just been incredibly hospitable."

Ms Molloson spearheaded the HerGameToo campaign to improve the culture on the terraces for women football supporters by fighting sexist abuse in sport.

She travelled to Qatar with her dad as her chaperone, but her experience at the tournament has been better than many of her afternoons on the terraces in England.

"I think the easiest way to describe it is it's much more subdued here. It's much calmer. I've not experienced any sort of hostility, I don't mean necessarily to me personally, I haven't even witnessed anything. And that's regardless of gender. I've just not even seen it.

"Sometimes you get football fans getting a bit angry. And there's been none of that at all."

Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the UK’s football policing lead, believes the lack of trouble at the Qatar World Cup was in large part due to the comparative scarcity of alcohol.

He said the lack of arrests was a sign that ministers should resist calls to ease restrictions on drinking in UK football grounds.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Could they do a Morocco/Portugal joint WC (or Morocco/Spain)? Less distance to travel than any WC in the United States let alone the Mexico/USA/Canada one. Could sell it by bridging the continents.
I believe Morocco and Spain are working together on a joint bid for 2030. I feel I read that somewhere, but can't remember where.

NYAS

I believe Morocco and Spain are working together on a joint bid for 2030. I feel I read that somewhere, but can't remember where.
If I’m not mistaken the Spanish and Portuguese told Morocco to feck off and replaced them with Ukraine in their bid.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If I’m not mistaken the Spanish and Portuguese told Morocco to feck off and replaced them with Ukraine in their bid.
Was this recent? Cos diplomatic relations between Morocco and Spain were very tense until springtime, more or less, but have gotten better - I thought the project had been picked up again.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
https://dohanews.co/female-world-cup-fans-feel-safer-thanks-to-qatars-alcohol-ban/

No catcalling or hassle, why female football fans feel safer in Qatar than at matches at home

Ellie Molloson, an 18-year-old Nottingham Forest fan and advocate for safer spaces for women in football, was "really nervous" about travelling to Qatar to cheer on England.

"I didn't think I was going to feel safe here. I was worried about if I show skin will I get arrested... and it's just not been the case at all," she told ITV News.

"I've not had any catcalling or any of the strange comments that you would perhaps get in England sometimes.

Ms Molloson spearheaded the HerGameToo campaign to improve the culture on the terraces for women football supporters by fighting sexist abuse in sport.

She travelled to Qatar with her dad as her chaperone, but her experience at the tournament has been better than many of her afternoons on the terraces in England.

"I think the easiest way to describe it is it's much more subdued here. It's much calmer. I've not experienced any sort of hostility, I don't mean necessarily to me personally, I haven't even witnessed anything. And that's regardless of gender. I've just not even seen it.

"Sometimes you get football fans getting a bit angry. And there's been none of that at all."
Not suprised.

Everytime I've been to a football match it's the drunk who starts making a scene making it unpleasant for everyone else. I know people will say most can behave themselves but all it takes is one or two to ruin it for people around them.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which is a weird move and quite blantantly just looking for sympathy votes!
Might not age well either seeing as the vote is not until 2024

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Interesting to hear the female perspective but I'm not sure whether it is due to lack of alcohol. I think it's more that the type of fan who gets pissed and causes trouble would not be interested in going to Qatar

I experienced similar at Japan '02 where there was little to no trouble compared to other events I've been to

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Interesting to hear the female perspective but I'm not sure whether it is due to lack of alcohol. I think it's more that the type of fan who gets pissed and causes trouble would not be interested in going to Qatar

I experienced similar at Japan '02 where there was little to no trouble compared to other events I've been to
Somewhat disagree - you’re going to get those who want to cause disruption no matter where the football is. The difficulty in getting alcohol in the stadium will undoubtedly minimise that. I also think women feel a lot safer there is due to the culture of the place as well.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Somewhat disagree - you’re going to get those who want to cause disruption no matter where the football is. The difficulty in getting alcohol in the stadium will undoubtedly minimise that. I also think women feel a lot safer there is due to the culture of the place as well.
I agree with the last comment

But if you look at which recent tournaments had trouble then it's mostly in Europe basically, look at Japan 2002 or South Africa 2010 and there was little to no trouble and alcohol is freely available.

Alcohol in stadium really doesn't affect much - not many drink in the stadium even in England, maybe 1 beer at half time.
It's more about where groups congregate and drink pre or post match

I'm not saying it makes no difference but I don't believe it's the major factor because beer is available in Qatar anyway

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Can't wait till next world cup when all you Euros/African/Middle east/Asian people have to endure kickoffs and weird times. I've missed most games due to work.

Also, Mexico has hosted twice already. They shouldn't get any games.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Lots of "fans" dressed up in amazing country colours.
Always the ones that they pan to on camera.
Not plants at all.

I've found atmospheres shite

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Lots of "fans" dressed up in amazing country colours.
Always the ones that they pan to on camera.
Not plants at all.

I've found atmospheres shite
Well of course they focus on the ones who made an effort to dress up - why the feck would they focus on the boring ones in jeans and T-shirt?!

Are you suggesting all these fans are fake?
Utter nonsense

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Well of course they focus on the ones who made an effort to dress up - why the feck would they focus on the boring ones in jeans and T-shirt?!

Are you suggesting all these fans are fake?
Utter nonsense
Absolutely

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I honestly believe "culture appropiation" is just a made up problem invented in the US and literally no one outside there cares about it, an absolute non issue. It seems most cultures feel flattered when other people adopt some traditions (in a respectful manner obviously). What do you guys in UK think about it?