Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Fluctuation0161

https://dohanews.co/female-world-cup-fans-feel-safer-thanks-to-qatars-alcohol-ban/

I posted this in another thread - but more relevant here:

No catcalling or hassle, why female football fans feel safer in Qatar than at matches at home

Ellie Molloson, an 18-year-old Nottingham Forest fan and advocate for safer spaces for women in football, was "really nervous" about travelling to Qatar to cheer on England.

"I didn't think I was going to feel safe here. I was worried about if I show skin will I get arrested... and it's just not been the case at all," she told ITV News.

She adds: "I felt incredibly safe."

"I've not had any catcalling or any of the strange comments that you would perhaps get in England sometimes.

"They've just been incredibly hospitable."

Ms Molloson spearheaded the HerGameToo campaign to improve the culture on the terraces for women football supporters by fighting sexist abuse in sport.

She travelled to Qatar with her dad as her chaperone, but her experience at the tournament has been better than many of her afternoons on the terraces in England.

"I think the easiest way to describe it is it's much more subdued here. It's much calmer. I've not experienced any sort of hostility, I don't mean necessarily to me personally, I haven't even witnessed anything. And that's regardless of gender. I've just not even seen it.

"Sometimes you get football fans getting a bit angry. And there's been none of that at all."
Unlimited money for PR from Qatar.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I didn't think I'd need to state this, but neither the UN nor Interpol are any government at all. They don't have any police stations where anyone could go and report crimes not counted and the UN only highlights the most egregious of misconduct. They don't bother with some small ME state fiddling its domestic numbers or not.

Even amnesty international can only work with the information they are given or are capable of collecting. Which is why some folks go on masturbating rampages when they hear any sort of numbers about the US or western Europe or Scandinavia or Australia or etc. Because for open societies the numbers actually mean something.
There is no basis to these claims, if the reality were much worse or unreliable then the UN and interpol would not even have quoted any stats. There would also be plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise as well but any article you read about expats living there talk about how safe it is.

What's the point of this discussion? Low(er) crime (and of course religion) is probably the go to justification for every authoritarian government (measure) ever. It's not some shocking r elevation and I'm wondering if you think it cancels out other stuff.
Whatever the reason for lower crime is, it's the simple fact that crime is lower that is being discussed. Whether or not lower crime is a justification for having an authoritarian government should be another discussion (hint: it's not).

Unlimited money for PR from Qatar.
The delusion in this thread :lol: some people want fans to get hurt or have bad experiences just so it can fulfill their stereotypes of the country, and can't digest people actually enjoying themselves there.

Abizzz

There is no basis to these claims, if the reality were much worse or unreliable then the UN and interpol would not even have quoted any stats. There would also be plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise as well but any article you read about expats living there talk about how safe it is.
What claims? What are you going on about UN / Interpol?

Ludens the Red

https://dohanews.co/female-world-cup-fans-feel-safer-thanks-to-qatars-alcohol-ban/

I posted this in another thread - but more relevant here:

No catcalling or hassle, why female football fans feel safer in Qatar than at matches at home

Ellie Molloson, an 18-year-old Nottingham Forest fan and advocate for safer spaces for women in football, was "really nervous" about travelling to Qatar to cheer on England.

"I didn't think I was going to feel safe here. I was worried about if I show skin will I get arrested... and it's just not been the case at all," she told ITV News.

She adds: "I felt incredibly safe."

"I've not had any catcalling or any of the strange comments that you would perhaps get in England sometimes.

"They've just been incredibly hospitable."

Ms Molloson spearheaded the HerGameToo campaign to improve the culture on the terraces for women football supporters by fighting sexist abuse in sport.

She travelled to Qatar with her dad as her chaperone, but her experience at the tournament has been better than many of her afternoons on the terraces in England.

"I think the easiest way to describe it is it's much more subdued here. It's much calmer. I've not experienced any sort of hostility, I don't mean necessarily to me personally, I haven't even witnessed anything. And that's regardless of gender. I've just not even seen it.

"Sometimes you get football fans getting a bit angry. And there's been none of that at all."
It’s good she’s felt comfortable here but I don’t see this being anything to do with lack of alcohol or it being more hospitable.
the reason is it’s a completely different clientele of fans at this World Cup. The fans at this World Cup aren’t your standard football fans. The pricing of tickets and everything that came with going to Qatar means it simply wasn’t affordable for your everyday man. Fifa and uefa have been trying to make it this way for years.

Abizzz

That the figures they quote are not reliable.
Where did I claim that specifically?

I said it's easy to have great numbers when the one counting is an authoritarian government, and I stand by that. If you deduce from that they are in fact counting wrong, so be it. If you think they aren't, great.

Kopral Jono

Whatever the reason for lower crime is, it's the simple fact that crime is lower that is being discussed. Whether or not lower crime is a justification for having an authoritarian government should be another discussion (hint: it's not).

The delusion in this thread :lol: some people want fans to get hurt or have bad experiences just so it can fulfill their stereotypes of the country, and can't digest people actually enjoying themselves there.
Prior to the tournament's kick-off I was admittedly sceptical seeing those haphazard tent-like accommodation and all that, but I actually know someone who thought feck it and bought a last-minute ticket to Doha and his Instagram suggests he's having a whale of a time there! There really is no harm to always keep an open mind.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"whatever" is doing some heavy lifting in that post.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Prior to the tournament's kick-off I was admittedly sceptical seeing those haphazard tent-like accommodation and all that, but I actually know someone who thought feck it and bought a last-minute ticket to Doha and his Instagram suggests he's having a whale of a time there! There really is no harm to always keep an open mind.
Exactly, I was also thinking the accomodations would be a disaster after watching the videos before the tournament started, another Fyre festival. It seems the concerns in that regard were overblown, as has been for every world cup that isn't held in a western country, and the fan experience has been great.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Exactly, I was also thinking the accomodations would be a disaster after watching the videos before the tournament started, another Fyre festival. It seems the concerns in that regard were overblown, as has been for every world cup that isn't held in a western country, and the fan experience has been great.
It's absolutely true that all recent tournaments held outside Western Europe had pretournament controversy fueled by the usual clickbait media reporting (and this one has the most of any) but on every occasion the fan experience has generally been a positive one.

Only have to read the first pages of this thread to read all the doom scenarios people were predicting that never came to pass (Fyre Fest accomodation, fans getting arrested, no atmosphere, fake fans etc).

Once the tournament started it became quite clear that its well organised and the vast majority of fans are having a great time

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It’s good she’s felt comfortable here but I don’t see this being anything to do with lack of alcohol or it being more hospitable.
the reason is it’s a completely different clientele of fans at this World Cup. The fans at this World Cup aren’t your standard football fans. The pricing of tickets and everything that came with going to Qatar means it simply wasn’t affordable for your everyday man. Fifa and uefa have been trying to make it this way for years.
It’s not just at this World Cup though - it’s this way outside of big tournament football too.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Since when is any World Cup/Euro for the everyday fan? For Euro 2021 the cheapest tickets I could find in Munich were 350-400 euros. It's a money making event for FIFA/UEFA and they milk the fans for it.

Fluctuation0161

Your naive if you don't think this whole WC is a PR excercise for Qatar. They've paid enough money to buy it. They'll pay money to spin it with PR.

Fluctuation0161

Yep - Qatar paid all the men in Qatar to not sexually harass women. Or they paid this woman. Sounds logical.
For a writer to make a point about women feeling safer at this World Cup in Qatar because of the banned drinking, but not mention any of the below, shows a severe lack of perspective. She's either blinkered or attempting to be an influencer, or her organisation may "benefit" from postive Qatari PR.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/29/qatar-male-guardianship-severely-curtails-womens-rights

"Qatar’s discriminatory male guardianship system denies women the right to make many key decisions about their lives, Human Rights Watch said..."

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
For a writer to make a point about women feeling safer at this World Cup in Qatar because of the banned drinking, but not mention any of the below, shows a severe lack of perspective. She's either blinkered or attempting to be an influencer, or her organisation may "benefit" from postive Qatari PR.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/29/qatar-male-guardianship-severely-curtails-womens-rights

"Qatar’s discriminatory male guardianship system denies women the right to make many key decisions about their lives, Human Rights Watch said..."
Complete nonsense and whataboutery- it's an article about a female fan's experience at the World Cup and comparing it to going to football matches in other countries

What on earth does the article you posted have to do with foreign fans going to a football match in Qatar ?
Only those with a severe agenda would be posting such things in a discussion about fans and atmosphere at the World Cup

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Your naive if you don't think this whole WC is a PR excercise for Qatar. They've paid enough money to buy it. They'll pay money to spin it with PR.
If only I knew Qatar was paying all the fans there, I would've booked a ticket myself and gotten a check. I should ask my nephew if he got his because he landed today.

Ofcourse Qatar are paying for some people to come to the tournament and cover it, which would cloud their opinion. If there were issues as much as people want to think there are for fans, you would see a lot more reports especially from Western journalists.

Fahad Jawaid

Any of you at the World Cup?
I went there from 1st till 3rd December, watched two matches (Ghana Vs Uruguay and Serbia Vs Switzerland). They have organized it really well. There is alot of walking from parking to the stadium though

They have also allowed plenty of leeway for the fans, they have opened a bikini beach in Katara, normally they are quite conservative. But they are doing everything to ensure the world cup is a success.

Lastly from the moment i set foot in Qatar from airport to stadium all the volunteers and staff I came across are very helpful and supportive, which made the journey very easy.

For fans in Asia (I live in UAE), it was a great opportunity to watch world cup football. I believe football is for everybody and certainly world cups should be held in Asia and Africa aswell. However, with the controversy they created just before the tournament and critisicm against FIFA, I don't think there will be another world cup in Asia, Africa anytime soon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This much is obvious. In fairness, the Qataris were effective in mitigating the initial shitstorm of criticism by loosening up a bit to ensure there were minimal incidents going forward related to political speech or their totalitarian LGBTQ policy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For fans in Asia (I live in UAE), it was a great opportunity to watch world cup football. I believe football is for everybody and certainly world cups should be held in Asia and Africa aswell. However, with the controversy they created just before the tournament and critisicm against FIFA, I don't think there will be another world cup in Asia, Africa anytime soon.
This shouldn't come as a surprise given that there were recently World Cups held in Japan, Korea, and South Africa.

Spoony

The People's President

Yeah, been far more fans from Asia and Africa this WC. I've seen fans wave flags of nations that'll never play in a WC...but it's great to see them represent.

zing

Zingle balls
I went there from 1st till 3rd December, watched two matches (Ghana Vs Uruguay and Serbia Vs Switzerland). They have organized it really well. There is alot of walking from parking to the stadium though

They have also allowed plenty of leeway for the fans, they have opened a bikini beach in Katara, normally they are quite conservative. But they are doing everything to ensure the world cup is a success.

Lastly from the moment i set foot in Qatar from airport to stadium all the volunteers and staff I came across are very helpful and supportive, which made the journey very easy.

I agree with this. The actual level of fan activity seems a bit muted for a World Cup though..

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Asia should have to wait a while for another but Africa are due since it will be at least 20years since South Africa - been great to see the large numbers of Asian and African fans at this WC anyway

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Any of you at the World Cup?
Going for the Friday /Saturday games, hopefully the Qataris slip me a few notes on arrival.

Ludens the Red

Since when is any World Cup/Euro for the everyday fan? For Euro 2021 the cheapest tickets I could find in Munich were 350-400 euros. It's a money making event for FIFA/UEFA and they milk the fans for it.
Yeah that was what I meant by “fifa and uefa have been trying to make it this way” meaning it’s ongoing. If it’s Europe you can just about still get your “hardcore fans” going because of no travel . But now they’re sticking it in the likes of Russia, Qatar and Saudi Arabia in 2030 (which will happen) it becomes too much.

Fluctuation0161

Complete nonsense and whataboutery- it's an article about a female fan's experience at the World Cup and comparing it to going to football matches in other countries

What on earth does the article you posted have to do with foreign fans going to a football match in Qatar ?
Only those with a severe agenda would be posting such things in a discussion about fans and atmosphere at the World Cup
No agenda. I was responding the the original post saying "female fans felt safer in Qatar". They don't if they live there! It's a ridiculous comment given the context of poor women's rights in Qatar.

One woman had a good experience for a few match days in Qatar when she will leave in a week or two. That's great. But it doesn't mean Qatar is the champion for women! Quite the opposite is true.

NYAS

Morocco v Spain.
Fake crowd noise being played out of the speakers. And all the paid fans happen to be lip-syncing. Feck off Qatar, you won’t fool me.

romufc

Morocco v Spain.
Fake crowd noise being played out of the speakers. And all the paid fans happen to be lip-syncing. Feck off Qatar, you won’t fool me.
Slightly off topic.. They didn't fool some of the English players with the green paint either.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Probably not directly relevant for this thread but thought this was pretty wholesome. Football really brings people from all four corners together.

Foxbatt

No agenda. I was responding the the original post saying "female fans felt safer in Qatar". They don't if they live there! It's a ridiculous comment given the context of poor women's rights in Qatar.

One woman had a good experience for a few match days in Qatar when she will leave in a week or two. That's great. But it doesn't mean Qatar is the champion for women! Quite the opposite is true.
I know a number of foreign women who live in Doha and they are very happy about it. They said it's extremely safe and they don't get bothered by anyone.

Fahad Jawaid

Yeah, been far more fans from Asia and Africa this WC. I've seen fans wave flags of nations that'll never play in a WC...but it's great to see them represent.
Yeah as far as I could gather, support for Asian, African and South American teams were the most out there. European teams the least. However, a lot of Ronaldo fans in Portugal matches.

Fahad Jawaid

I agree with this. The actual level of fan activity seems a bit muted for a World Cup though..
But this is obvious as well right, since a lot of expats (Population) in Qatar are from India, Pakistan, plus the locals are charged up for their own matches, otherwise they are not bothered. So it becomes a little difficult for them to gel with people from other countries due to language and cultural differences.

Fahad Jawaid

Asia should have to wait a while for another but Africa are due since it will be at least 20years since South Africa - been great to see the large numbers of Asian and African fans at this WC anyway
True, hopefully Morocco & Egypt gets it, it will be a fun world cup.