Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Didn’t Celtic get fined because it’s fans were waving the Palestinian flag? So let’s be honest, the LGBT logo is more about the political statement and not the clothing. It happens to be a political statement the Qatari don’t want being advertised. Instead of fining people they simply asked them to remove it or denied them access to the stadium.

Wearing their clothing of choice ? Isn’t in parts of Europe where the face veil and a specific type of swimming outfit is banned?

In Qatar no outfit is banned. There is a minimum decency level. Just like in the U.K. you’d get arrested for walking around naked, Qatar also has a threshold. If you look at most of the female fans they are dressed just like they’d normally be dressed in the West. Jeans, t-shirt etc.
The standard should be one to accommodate the social norms of where a vast majority of participant nation fans are from, which means choosing a host nation that isn't going to deviate from that. Likewise, hosting it Europe should also mean not banning Muslim garb.

AlPistacho

The standard should be one to accommodate the social norms of where a vast majority of participant nation fans are from, which means choosing a host nation that isn't going to deviate from that. Likewise, hosting it Europe should also mean not banning Muslim garb.
In regards to homosexuality being banned, it’s ironic but in one of the next host countries of the 26 WC. 14 of its states have similar anti sodomy laws to Qatar. Legally they can no longer be enforced due to federal laws passed in the last 20 years, so it’s kind of similar to Qatar’s what goes on in private we won’t act against policy. I do wonder if in the next WC people will be making a political point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In regards to homosexuality being banned, it’s ironic but in one of the next host countries of the 26 WC. 14 of its states have similar anti sodomy laws to Qatar. Legally they can no longer be enforced due to federal laws passed in the last 20 years, so it’s kind of similar to Qatar’s what goes on in private we won’t act against policy. I do wonder if in the next WC people will be making a political point.
There are all kinds of draconian laws on the books in the US that are never enforced because social norms have moved on and politicians couldn't be arsed to get into fights about changing old, antiquated 19th century laws. Therefore they languish in obscurity. The prevailing social norm however is that its completely acceptable and there are gay members in Biden's cabinet, as well as the US Senate. Something one may not see in the likes of Qatar or its neighbors.

AlPistacho

There are all kinds of draconian laws on the books in the US that are never enforced because social norms have moved on and politicians couldn't be arsed to get into fights about changing old, antiquated 19th century laws. Therefore they languish in obscurity. The prevailing social norm however is that its completely acceptable and there are gay members in Biden's cabinet, as well as the US Senate. Something one may not see in the likes of Qatar or its neighbors.
I’ve never been so maybe my perception of the USA is as wildly off the mark as many people’s perception of Qatar is. But from my understanding, it varies by state. So a fan at the 2026 WC who wears the LGBT flag in say San Francisco or New York could have a hugely different experience to one who wears it in, say, Texas. I’m not talking about the legality here, I’m talking about the experience. But also as we see and hear laws and norms vary wildly from state to state.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I’ve never been so maybe my perception of the USA is as wildly off the mark as many people’s perception of Qatar is. But from my understanding, it varies by state. So a fan at the 2026 WC who wears the LGBT flag in say San Francisco or New York could have a hugely different experience to one who wears it in, say, Texas. I’m not talking about the legality here, I’m talking about the experience. But also as we see and hear laws and norms vary wildly from state to state.
You really don't know what you're talking about here. Apples to bicycles.

AlPistacho

You really don't know what you're talking about here. Apples to bicycles.
So what you’re saying is that the laws and social norms across the various US states are all uniform ? That’s good to know eg any weed smokers won’t have any issues regardless of whether they’re in California or Arkansas.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So what you’re saying is that the laws and social norms across the various US states are all uniform ? That’s good to know eg any weed smokers won’t have any issues regardless of whether they’re in California or Arkansas.
No, there’s not a theocratic-derived national law against homosexuality. That’s the difference, we don’t let our laws get subsumed by the fallacy of fundamentalist religion.

You’d also be extremely surprised at some of the states that have legalized pot.

Again, you just don’t know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Redfrog

Perhaps you were watching a different match. There were no more than 50-100 empty seats, not even close to being half empty as you called it.
It was empty all in the bottom middle. But yeah, it was full of fans, like we saw everywhere. Shame I didn’t see all of this real fans from India supporting their teams, France and Argentina in the stadium.
Great World Cup, the stadiums were packed, everyone was welcome. Let’s give the next one to Saudi Arabia or North Korea.
Ah, and thanks for counting the exact numbers of empty sits during the game.

Redfrog

How and why did Argentina fans greatly outnumber anyone else?
For opponents it was like playing in an away game - where the allocation for away fans had been slashed
Maybe they are dumb enough to spend the little they have to make it for the event ?

AlPistacho

No, there’s not a theocratic-derived national law against homosexuality. That’s the difference, we don’t let our laws get subsumed by the fallacy of fundamentalist religion.

You’d also be extremely surprised at some of the states that have legalized pot.

Again, you just don’t know what you are talking about.
I prefaced by saying I’ve never been so happy to be wrong. Although I am surprised that you disagree so strongly with my suggestion that laws & social norms vary across various US states. But like I said happy to be wrong. During the WC26 members of the LGBT community will be just as safe in San Francisco as they are in Texas, can only be a good thing.

Different discussion but a lot of your policies are actually driven by a “fallacy of fundamentalist religion” hence why the term “neo con” exists.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I prefaced by saying I’ve never been so happy to be wrong. Although I am surprised that you disagree so strongly with my suggestion that laws & social norms vary across various US states. But like I said happy to be wrong. During the WC26 members of the LGBT community will be just as safe in San Francisco as they are in Texas, can only be a good thing.
Again, there’s no idiotic, top down, fundie theocratic pressure in this country against homosexuality. We actually just passed national legislation strengthening LGBTQ rights vis à vis marriage. There’s obviously cultural differences regarding LGBTQ issues within the country, but, as the games will only be played in major cities, the cultural differences felt between venues will be minor.

AlPistacho

It was empty all in the bottom middle. But yeah, it was full of fans, like we saw everywhere. Shame I didn’t see all of this real fans from India supporting their teams, France and Argentina in the stadium.
Great World Cup, the stadiums were packed, everyone was welcome. Let’s give the next one to Saudi Arabia or North Korea.
Ah, and thanks for counting the exact numbers of empty sits during the game.
Those were the seats that were empty after half time for about 5-7 minutes. Then they got refilled as people returned.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I saw an interview where someone from Argentina said they gave up their entire life savings to make the trip to Qatar. That being said, I imagine most of the fans (like the Mexico fans) were wealthy professional from Argentina/Mexico that could well afford the trip.
You hear those stories every world cup where a fan sells up everything to go watch their team. It's not the norm though, but a story that will make headlines.

MarylandMUFan

I am curious to learn how tickets were distributed. I assume the nation in the games get an allotment of tickets that the fans of that country work through but what about the thousands of Argentina fans over in the France sections? I am fascinated by logistical crap like that (similar to the Dutch fans at an F1 race, I wonder how they get tickets for those blocks of seats).

Redfrog

May you live long and your grave is full of all the riches you have mustered.
No man, I just prefer spend my money for my kids and wife. A football game is great but is futile. If you are rich, why not, but to spend the extra money you have on it instead of say founding a learning trip for your kid… well, to me there is much more important. But what do I know, I am an humble teacher so I won’t spend my savings to watch an expensive trip for a game.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I am curious to learn how tickets were distributed. I assume the nation in the games get an allotment of tickets that the fans of that country work through but what about the thousands of Argentina fans over in the France sections? I am fascinated by logistical crap like that (similar to the Dutch fans at an F1 race, I wonder how they get tickets for those blocks of seats).
In France's case the fans simply didn't turn up and there were plenty of Argentina fans ready to snap up the tickets.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No man, I just prefer spend my money for my kids and wife. A football game is great but is futile. If you are rich, why not, but to spend the extra money you have on it instead of say founding a learning trip for your kid… well, to me there is much more important. But what do I know, I am an humble teacher so I won’t spend my savings to watch an expensive trip for a game.
My family is full of teachers. I assure you they mimic exactly what you've just said in your post. I'm not going to say what they really are when it comes to spending money out of respect. They're a special breed. :lol:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The majority of tickets are sold before the tournament starts, a portion available to anyone via FIFA and a portion given to each qualifying nation - some are held back and distributed to the nations that go further, it is up to each FA to decide how to distribute those tickets

Also a large percentage given to corporates and the 'FIFA family'

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But how? Do they go on a public sale or is there a tout/scalper market where the tickets were listed?
We bought ours well in advance through the website.

On the ground there were FIFA ticket offices scattered around Doha, I never had to go in one but there were always queues at them, I'm assuming they would have been exchanged/bought there.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The majority of tickets are sold before the tournament starts, a portion available to anyone via FIFA and a portion given to each qualifying nation - some are held back and distributed to the nations that go further, it is up to each FA to decide how to distribute those tickets

Also a large percentage given to corporates and the 'FIFA family'
Also if your team got knocked out you could return them, others would just sell them on the street for profit.

MarylandMUFan

We bought ours well in advance through the website.

On the ground there were FIFA ticket offices scattered around Doha, I never had to go in one but there were always queues at them, I'm assuming they would have been exchanged/bought there.
Ahhh, that makes sense. I guess there are people that travel hoping to get tickets but settle for the fan zone if they can't.

AlPistacho

If that’s what gives someone value and they value it more than the sum they had. Who’s anyone to judge?

For me I wouldn’t sell everything to go watch a match across the world, but I also acknowledge that I’m not in that situation and don’t know if I’d think the same if I was in that person’s shoes.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Ahhh, that makes sense. I guess there are people that travel hoping to get tickets but settle for the fan zone if they can't.
The rules were relaxed to allow people to travel without a ticket and a lot travelled taking the chance they would get one. If not they ended up in the fanzones like you have pointed out.

Also as Rood pointed out above each qualifying country would have had a quota, if that wasn't fulfilled I would assume the tickets would just go onto general sale.

Last edited:

mariner85

In France's case the fans simply didn't turn up and there were plenty of Argentina fans ready to snap up the tickets.
A good majority Asian ( Indian and Arabic ). France did not get much support from that fan base. Almost all of Qatar was behind Messi and Argentina.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
A good majority Asian ( Indian and Arabic ). France did not get much support from that fan base. Almost all of Qatar was behind Messi and Argentina.
This is also true.

Real Name

Yeah, but those are your life choices and others have theirs so it's a bit strange to call people who spend money to see their team dumb or call them dumb choices.

Foxbatt

Some moderators here can't accept any other views apart from theirs. Just like Qatar or any other dictatorial regimes. There is racism and probably islamaphobia here.
There is certainly a double standard here. If the WC can't be held in Qatar because of their human rights situation then most countries should not be able to hold it. Everyone should have their rights. The rights not to be killed while asleep in bed by a drone strike too.

Foxbatt

By the way I am going to get banned now most probably by one moderator. This moderator already banned me for a while. To all the guys who I have had debates and discussion have a great day.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
By the way I am going to get banned now most probably by one moderator. This moderator already banned me for a while. To all the guys who I have had debates and discussion have a great day.
Sorry buddy, as a Westerner it would be extremely hypocritical of me to critize the caf moderators.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Christ, another 'specious claim of racism / Islamophobia' drive by with absolutely nothing to back it up. Day must end in '-y.'

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Some moderators here can't accept any other views apart from theirs. Just like Qatar or any other dictatorial regimes. There is racism and probably islamaphobia here.
There is certainly a double standard here. If the WC can't be held in Qatar because of their human rights situation then most countries should not be able to hold it. Everyone should have their rights. The rights not to be killed while asleep in bed by a drone strike too.
The moderators in here have been very accommodating and allowed A LOT of slack regarding outright anti west xenophobia that began to emerge during the tournament in Qatar.

The atrocities that’ve taken place in the ME are horrifying, and I’ve not read one poster trying to justify them - but certain posters are clearly incapable of not linking that with criticism of the Qatar regime, despite the fact that to a logical mind, they are not connected - the only way they’re linked is that they both involve disgusting displays of power by corrupt, irredeemable regimes against innocent people.

And the same people that called out the atrocities in ME are calling out the atrocities by Qatar regime.

I experienced a lot of racism when I first went to school as a 5 year old (in 80s Britain) instead of learning 1 + 1, I was learning ni**er, black b**tard etc and how to uppercut properly to put someone down quickly. It was, looking back, insane by today’s standards. Does that mean that every time I read an article detailing horrendous knife crime carried out by a black teen I have to start going on about ‘but white people were racist to these kids parents’, or ‘but the EDL are thugs too’? No, because in my eyes, it’s not about race. It’s only about the actions of the individual.

You need to understand that people are not criticising Qatar because they’re Arabic, they’re criticising them because they find the behaviour of that regime disgusting. It’s something that’s been repeated over and over again in here but it’s as if you can’t hear it or can’t process the information.

Regarding Islamophobia, like any of the Abrahamic religions in the modern age - it’s open to criticism, and it will be critiqued, you need to accept that. And if Muslim countries are wanting to host global events that’ve been created by socially progressive nations, it will obviously shine focus upon areas of religious oppression and cruelty.

You and others have gone on and on endlessly about the US since the Qatar WC began, but if the US WC began and suddenly America started applying Mormon rules to the visiting tourists and censoring anything that provoked thought about what they were doing while insisting ‘it’s our culture’, the World would laugh at them and tell them they’ve gone mad.

It would be brutal. And no one would accuse those who were pointing out the madness of being Mormonphobic. We don’t treat religions like that in the West - ANY religions - they’re all fair game. We’re in a post- Religious age ffs!

People can be critical of elements of a religion without hating its adherents.

And people can be critical of oppressive ME regimes without being xenophobes.

Indeed, the criticism of Qatar’s regime is about having empathy for the innocent people they’re treating like shit - aren’t those very people mainly Muslim?

Try and see what’s being said here.

p.s Mods please don’t ban Foxblatt (for this at least).

Last edited: