Qatar World Cup to use semi-automated offside technology

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62001959

Fifa has confirmed semi-automated, state-of-the-art technology will be used at the World Cup in Qatar to speed up the time taken to reach offside decisions.

In addition to a sensor in the middle of the ball, which sends data 500 times a second to determine the exact kick-point, 12 dedicated multi-tracking cameras that are "100% synchronised" will be mounted on the roof of each stadium to track the ball and 29 points on each player, sending data 50 times per second to calculate their exact position on the pitch.

Any player in an offside position will trigger an alert in the video assistant referee booth that can be relayed to the on-pitch referee.

The system was trialled at last year's Arab Cup and Club World Cup, where it was estimated to have reduced the time taken to make offside VAR decisions from 70 to 25 seconds.

"We are very positive. It is ready," said Fifa's head of refereeing Pierluigi Collina.
Thoughts on this?

Big Andy

Bloke
Offsides will now be a matter of millimetres, and that's fecking bullshit.

diarm

I remember asking why they didn't do this last year. Seems a far more sensible idea than VAR.

EtH

Feck anything to do with Qatar and this World Cup.

Those are my thoughts.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Offsides should be head and feet only. No armpits and knees being offside

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It should in time be a far better system than VAR - which my major gripe with is stopping the spontaneous nature of goal celebrations.

But it might be shambolic for a while first.

diarm

I think it should be that if any part of the attacker is onside, he's onside.

I don't understand why in so many cases, the advantage is given to defenders over attackers.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Looks cool

What a shame. The person who draws a line during live television to proof the player was off/onside even though the line isn't even straight was my favorite.

rcoobc

I think it should be that if any part of the attacker is onside, he's onside.

I don't understand why in so many cases, the advantage is given to defenders over attackers.
I'm fine with this, but you still end up looking at airpits and knees

rcoobc

Imagine a player gets called off because he has a hard-on. The sensors would detect that instantly.

I can't sprint with an erection. Blood in all the wrong places.

R'hllor

Its not a surprise in evolution of technology around football and at the end of day, its tech that adapts to already established rules, not other way around.

Paul_Scholes18

They still need to make sure it really is offside by the rules. If they rule for offside when it is not it can be quite bad.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This will be an absolute unmitigated disaster. It will not last the tournament after overshadowing/ruining the group stages.

This after a positive reception after the first few days of the tournament.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This will be an absolute unmitigated disaster. It will not last the tournament after overshadowing/ruining the group stages.

You do realize it will have been tested for years and used in games already.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Knees? Shoulders? Chest?

I do see your point but it’s still including vague rules.

Personally, I still think that (while stupid), the offside rule that mentioned ‘daylight’ between two players had merit.

If we’re implementing this level of tech, simply using players feet and adding a 5-20cm tolerance would be great for the game. If I lean forward to play you offside and you lean towards goal but my feet are closer to my own goal… you beat me. That’s cool. There’s a skill element involved.

We are still obsessed with absolute perfection even if it’s detrimental to the spectacle. We are adding tech solutions to pre-tech rules. It’s silly in My opinion.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You do realize it will have been tested for years and used in games already.
I do. My previous company was heavy into companies developing this tech. I still think it’s just more shit in a shit sandwich.

Fair go if more people prefer it and celebrate it. I don’t. VAR has tinges of Brexit about it. Even it’s most ardent fans won’t accept that it’s made things less enjoyable.

Berbaclass

I do. My previous company was heavy into companies developing this tech. I still think it’s just more shit in a shit sandwich.

Fair go if more people prefer it and celebrate it. I don’t. VAR has tinges of Brexit about it. Even it’s most ardent fans won’t accept that it’s made things less enjoyable.
I don't think you could have picked a worse comparison :lol:

matsdf

Wonderful! Very much looking forward to this speeding up the game!

danamann

If you have to give one thing to FIFA, it is their excellent usage of new technology. I remember last World Cup, where VAR was just introduced, and everybody was convinced it was going to be a disaster as well. But on the contrary, everything went really smooth, better than any league had done so far. The issue is not VAR, the issue is the incredibly incompetent FA and their refs who still haven't figured out how to use it properly after 4 years.

Berbaclass

If you have to give one thing to FIFA, it is their excellent usage of new technology. I remember last World Cup, where VAR was just introduced, and everybody was convinced it was going to be a disaster as well. But on the contrary, everything went really smooth, better than any league had done so far. The issue is not VAR, the issue is the incredibly incompetent FA and their refs who still haven't figured out how to use it properly after 4 years.
Yes

UnrelatedPsuedo

I don't think you could have picked a worse comparison :lol:
The tinges
- Best thing ever
- Worst thing ever
- Disciples that see only good
- Opponents that have all manner of objections
- Creates narrower arguments
- Battle lines drawn that obliterate rational discussion
- ‘Put up and shut up’ final point of position
- Revisionism of what it was for in the first place

but ok. Labelling it as ‘the worst comparison possible’ kind of proves my point.

I’m not against tech in football. I welcome it. But I do object to a blinkered view of how we should use it. Technology should improve the spectacle, never dilute it. VAR hasn’t improved football for me.

All good if it’s improved it for you.

Berbaclass

The tinges
- Best thing ever
- Worst thing ever
- Disciples that see only good
- Opponents that have all manner of objections
- Creates narrower arguments
- Battle lines drawn that obliterate rational discussion
- ‘Put up and shut up’ final point of position
- Revisionism of what it was for in the first place

but ok. Labelling it as ‘the worst comparison possible’ kind of proves my point.

I’m not against tech in football. I welcome it. But I do object to a blinkered view of how we should use it. Technology should improve the spectacle, never dilute it. VAR hasn’t improved football for me.

All good if it’s improved it for you.
Respectfully disagree. I don't want to have a political discussion.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Agreed. If it works and speeds up the decision making process then I don't see why anyone would be against it.
Yeah pretty much, I still have qualms about var as I feel it kills the pace of the game and is sometimes inconsistent but this should just take split second and pretty consistent as well.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Offsides will now be a matter of millimetres, and that's fecking bullshit.
They already are, at least this will hopefully be faster and more accurate than the line drawing shenanigans.