QPR v Manchester United (Friendly) Saturday 24th July 2021 @ 3pm BST | 4-2 loss

Halftrack

Feels so assuring, that we have people guarding law and order at this place.

I am not familiar with any debunkings - may I ask you for some content out of interest? (Just to be sure, the myth is, that we often rely on moments of individual brilliance, right?)
The myth is that all players who leave us improve greatly because we're just such a mess and it's because Ole is a clueless idiot (and let's not talk about how these players weren't better under previous managers.) His given examples were Sanchez, Young, Darmian (all bang average squad players for Inter), Smalling (plays exactly the same for Roma as he did for us) and Lingard (went through a purple patch, no dissimilar from the Messi Lingard period, before fading badly.)

And you're not really one to be lecturing anyone on how to post.

Strelok

Because some folk are too dumb and don’t understand the concept of what pre-season is supposed to be about.
These matches are an opportunity for backups and youngsters to showcase what they can do in hope to fight for a regular place, or to find a bid. If they shine or show something in these matches they're more likely to get a chance in the season. Like the lad Elanga, he surely should and would get a chance.

I did hope the youngsters would show something, however it seems most of them are pretty far from ready for the PL. Not writing them off, just not ready yet.

Losing a friendly, no big deal. But let's be honest the performance of our backups, like Tuanzebe, Lingard, Pereira, Williams, Mata, Matic were pretty wank. Imo all of them should not be here except Williams. Let's hope Telles, Martial, VDB can show us something more positive than what they showed us last season.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Inform all our youngsters and players like Peireira, Lingard, Tuanzebe and James that pre season doesn’t matter.

Most of them have a limited time and a few pre season games to impress Ole and our management team. One good game or some impressive moments can be the difference between being sold, going out on a loan or being a squad player. I say this means everything to half of our squad. Otherwise they are in the wrong club.

Secondly. The result often reflect the quality of how we play, pre season or not. If we dominate and end up with 70%+ possession that’s one thing but to lose with 4-2 against a Championship team isn’t something to just shrug off your shoulders like it means nothing. United must have a higher standard then accepting mediocrity just because we play with youngsters and squad players.

Ole needs to clamp his foot down and be a little bit ruthless. Send a message to all our players that every game, every moment counts. Ole is a good man manager and now with his new contract in his pocket it’s time to show character. Sir Alex wasn’t directly afraid of shake things up. I hope Ole has the balls to do the same if necessary.
Have you considered that both you and people saying this result didn't matter may be correct, at the same time?

This result didn't matter for United, for all the reasons stated. It did matter for youngsters and backup players because they needed to prove themselves and many of them shitted their pants. Both statements make sense, at the same time. In the same sense, some players (Pellistri, Elanga) did shine, despite the loss.

roseguy64

Agreed the VDB 170k Telles 150k seem not true. Most sources say VDB 120k, Telles 80-100k.

Anyway do a google search on Williams weekly wage and you'd see. I also found an article:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brandon-williams-sees-wages-rocket-22467794

Last year Williams was reportedly on 40-43k a week so imo it's true that this year he's on ~60k.
That's what I mean. The rising to 60k is likely bonuses based on first-team appearances and accomplishments. He's hardly played since then

El Zoido

It’s just a friendly, this is the opportunity to try different players and see what works and what doesn’t. It doesn’t really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Fergie lost friendlies too, I remember us losing to Preston North End one year.

arthurka

The defeat is entirely on Mengi-Tuanzebe defence. They kept on making schoolboy mistakes.
What about Pereira and Matic? Williams and AWB they allowed everything to go into the box. You could name many others to be fair.

Strelok

That's what I mean. The rising to 60k is likely bonuses based on first-team appearances and accomplishments. He's hardly played since then
Agreed. Yeah that's true he hardly played last season.

CG1010

Inform all our youngsters and players like Peireira, Lingard, Tuanzebe and James that pre season doesn’t matter.

Most of them have a limited time and a few pre season games to impress Ole and our management team. One good game or some impressive moments can be the difference between being sold, going out on a loan or being a squad player. I say this means everything to half of our squad. Otherwise they are in the wrong club.

Secondly. The result often reflect the quality of how we play, pre season or not. If we dominate and end up with 70%+ possession that’s one thing but to lose with 4-2 against a Championship team isn’t something to just shrug off your shoulders like it means nothing. United must have a higher standard then accepting mediocrity just because we play with youngsters and squad players.

Ole needs to clamp his foot down and be a little bit ruthless. Send a message to all our players that every game, every moment counts. Ole is a good man manager and now with his new contract in his pocket it’s time to show character. Sir Alex wasn’t directly afraid of shake things up. I hope Ole has the balls to do the same if necessary.
:lol:

Red_toad

You have a source for this?
Yes why do you have one for in excess of 60k? He was on around 4K before he signed his new deal, his new deal is very much performance related, he’s not performed so his wages are vastly being over quoted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Missed the game. Any ratings for the players today? Anyone look decent?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That young lad Jesse Lingard got another goal, bright future ahead if he keeps working hard.
Jokes aside, did he look good? Saw the goal, was a nice team goal. Still hoping he's off and we get some money to add to our spending. Mostly interested to know how Tuanzebe did and Mejbri. I saw the last match, and Tuanzebe was OK but Mengi and AWB were really poor.

georgipep

You would think that some of our fringe players will use this opportunity to make a push into the first team. or perhaps we are truly over reliant on individual talent.

Our squad is not far of from City. City has a strong first 11 and so do we, but their bench and reserve isn’t much better than ours. I rather have the likes of Diallo, Pellestri, mejbri, Elanga, Tuanzebe, shoretire, garner, williams, laird, mengi, and levitt in our squad than what City has. I did not even account for the more experienced fringe player like Lingard, vdb, Henderson, Peirera and so on. So our squad is not worse than city on paper. But, obviously City are much better coached.
So, you are saying that the players you listed are preferable to Ake, Stones/Laporte (choose who is the backup and who is Diaz' partner), Zinchenko/Mendy (choose who is starter, who is bench), Cancelo/Walker (choose who is starter, who is bench), Bernardo/Foden/Mahrez/Torres (two of those are bench, you pick which two) and Fernandinho/Rodri/Gundogan (one of them is bench, tell me which one)?

I mean, there is trolling and then there is just taking a piss..

Red_toad

You forgot the net part.
Do they throw a net into the contract? Is that per season or a one off thing :lol:

He’s not on 60k a week, he’s earning about a million per season gross. His contract increases subject to performances, but like I said he’s been a bit dog shite, so out of the team and now pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Had he performed he’d be on around 40k as he’s very much on a bonus incentive contract.

MrBest

I find it weird people care about the result in pre-season, even more strange that emotions are there after the second game against a fresher team. We could get thumped 4-0 for all i care, these games are just about minutes, trialing tactics, hyping up the players, findings weaknesses and then fixing with solutions. For example, matic and andreas are clearly useless, elanga looks like he may be grabbing a few more minutes next season, or maybe he is ready for a loan to develop further.

Also, DVB, Martial, Maguire,Shaw, Lindeloff, Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Mctominay, rashford, sancho etc, all first team guys, are still on holiday. I'm no Ole fan, but jheez, give the guy a break, he is freshening up the squad at the moment.

I remember a few years back, Benteke scored a tonne of goals during pre-season ( i think it was him), then during the actual season that mattered, he scored 2 or 3. I remember under Gaal we won every game, played some good football, beat madrid and barca (who were not as fresh as us) and then played terrible football for that season. City played a few games last season in pre-season, i think they lost some too, but smashed out the league.

I wouldn't worry, I would only concern yourself with making sure Varane is here, a RB, and a DM.

Strelok

You only had to ask…

Wages
Do they throw a net into the contract? Is that per season or a one off thing :lol:

He’s not on 60k a week, he’s earning about a million per season gross. His contract increases subject to performances, but like I said he’s been a bit dog shite, so out of the team and now pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Had he performed he’d be on around 40k as he’s very much on a bonus incentive contract.
In your very own source:

In August 2020 the left-back signed a contract with Manchester United that nets him a whopping salary of 1.2 Million Euro (1.1 Million Pound) per year.

Red_toad

In your very own source:
Dave nets 350k a week, doesn’t mean it’s his take home pay!
Source doesn’t say net pay, it just says he nets 1.1 million per year, completely different. Uk generally talk about entire wages, not net pay, as he’d not be paying 50% tax regardless, or 66% of his 60k a week…

dalriada

Watched it from the away end at Loftus Road. Disappointing result for my first time back in a stadium for ages, but doesn't mean very much as the purpose is for players to get some minutes before the real games start. QPR are further into their preparations and it showed.

From my view at the ground, it looked very disjointed after the first few minutes, with a lot of careless passing, especially passing back around our own box. Some people criticising Matić, but I thought his calmness and experience was needed given the lack of first team experience behind him and I think his withdrawal at half time left us exposed.

We played too much down the left side through Williams and James, which wasn't working. Pellistri wasn't as effective as he was in the Derby game.

After we went 4-1 down, it was really just the youngsters passing the ball around to little effect, apart from Elanga's missed chances (he really can move).

Most of these players aren't going to be in the starting lineup for the EPL games, so I guess the worry would be if the ones we do need as cover continue like today.

Reminded me a bit of the notorious game against MK Dons in LVG's first season when a lot of little used players were thrown together and were hammered.

Strelok

Dave nets 350k a week, doesn’t mean it’s his take home pay!
Source doesn’t say net pay, it just says he nets 1.1 million per year, completely different. Uk generally talk about entire wages, not net pay, as he’d not be paying 50% tax regardless, or 66% of his 60k a week…
Ok then English is not my first language anyway.

redshaw

I find it weird people care about the result in pre-season, even more strange that emotions are there after the second game against a fresher team. We could get thumped 4-0 for all i care, these games are just about minutes, trialing tactics, hyping up the players, findings weaknesses and then fixing with solutions. For example, matic and andreas are clearly useless, elanga looks like he may be grabbing a few more minutes next season, or maybe he is ready for a loan to develop further.

Also, DVB, Martial, Maguire,Shaw, Lindeloff, Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Mctominay, rashford, sancho etc, all first team guys, are still on holiday. I'm no Ole fan, but jheez, give the guy a break, he is freshening up the squad at the moment.

I remember a few years back, Benteke scored a tonne of goals during pre-season ( i think it was him), then during the actual season that mattered, he scored 2 or 3. I remember under Gaal we won every game, played some good football, beat madrid and barca (who were not as fresh as us) and then played terrible football for that season. City played a few games last season in pre-season, i think they lost some too, but smashed out the league.

I wouldn't worry, I would only concern yourself with making sure Varane is here, a RB, and a DM.
The only thing that concerns me is no matter what game it is our second choice perform so poorly too often. Ole then can't play any of them in rotation. Usually you'd get players trying to break into the first team looking to do well in these situations and players with some ability should be able to impress as a team.

I don't think it's all down to coaching either, some of them go out on loan for a long time and the clubs are not interested in signing them up.

Mickson

Hang on. hang on, hang on.

Are you claiming that Moyes, West Ham’s manager, an ex-Man Utd manager who didn’t even last a full season, can tell the players exactly what to do and coach them to “be better”.

Because I for one didn’t see it in that season.

Outstanding reasoning for Ole Out.

Ole Out, Moyes In according to Mickson!
You just ramble a lot of shite I haven't said. Moyes had a clear idea for Lingard and built around that, Ole didn't. It's not rocket science and we can see clear proof of that.

Moyes is better than Ole and that's why Lingard is doing better? Is that what you are saying?

And Paulo Fonseca is better than Ole and that's why Smalling has done better?

Conte is obviously better but I still wouldn't want him.

Have you considered maybe there are alternate reasons why they are doing better? Here's a few.

1. Maybe they are actually not doing all that better, you're just not seeing them every game. Example Smalling at Roma.

2. Maybe their team plays on the counter, so has more space, and also the team/ and player faces less pressure. Example Lingard at W Ham.

3. Maybe the league is easier, example Darmian and Young. Sanchez hasn't even done that well.

I myself am not convinced about Ole's coaching credentials but disagree with your post quite a bit.
In these specific cases, yes, I think their manager had a clear idea of what to do with the player and how to use him. I don't think Ole had that with any of them. Ole has his style and is swim or sunk, he gives freedom to his players, challenges them to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Bruno can handle it. Sanchez didn't have it in him, or Lingard for that matter. All those players have done better in their respective teams, and you can't just laugh it off as a "lesser league" I think the majority does better when leaving United and that is something you have to look into why. So yes, my original post was that our players today are indeed better than QPR's and we will see proof of that when they eventually leave.

Andersons Dietician

Just watched the goals and my one question is where the hell was this composure during the Euros Landon Dykes. He couldn’t have bought a goal then.

KevinJoh

It looks like I did not watch the same game as the rest, as for me in the field this was better outing than against Derby. Of course, it is preseason, and only a few of those will get some minutes this year. Beside Greenwood, AWB, and probably Matic others won't be there, or will play only in Cups.
For me, the only disappointment is AWB who looks completely out of form. That is probably normal for this stage, but still it is a worry as we don't have a backup. Would be nice to get Trippier to have a cover for this position.
Axel, Matic, Lingard as experienced players in the first half have been OK. Not sure why people slating Axel as he did not do anything wrong from my point of view. He was solid, and just could not fix AWB errors on the right.
Mengi was out of position quite often. He really needs a loan, and hopefully will get one with Rooney where he will probably play and learn from mistakes. He has a lot to learn, as beside pace and strenght I did not see much from him in the last 2 years honestly. Probably Jagielka can be good mentor for him on weekly basis.
Williams - not sure about lad. He is not improving, but on the other hand he is there, around PL level, and probably with better CB on his side his mistakes would be fixed. Not a bad option, but I would like to send him on loan and make him earn minutes and get better. Even Championship loan would be OK for me, as he also needs to learn his trade playing every week. I guess if Trippier signs, we don't need him and can loan him out.
Elanga and Pellistri both very bright. Good players, just both need to play a lot of games. Elanga really good today, with a little bit of luck he could score a hattrick today, but he managed to get himself in position which is also great.
Garner is OK, he obviously can play against Championship side, so the question is still if he can play against PL sides with better players around. For me, it is better to have him than Pereira in the pairing with Matic against Brentford, and have Lingard in front, so we can see what he can do with non-kids around. But, I would not be afraid to play him against regular PL sides. It depends on who will we bring, but he should maybe stay with the team. In the second half when he was running a show from behind we have secured possession easily, even with kids around, he did not put a foot wrong in that period.
Others, good outing, nothing more. I would like to see more of Mejbri, but I guess he is not ready yet as he has started after others. He looks good on the ball against grown ups in both games, so 45 minutes against Brentford would be awesome to see what he can do.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Any gifs somewhere in the thread?
No threadmarks, so i'm guessing not?

One thing's for sure, all the Mengi hype died today.
He's been absolutely terrible in both games, like a boy amongst men. There's no way he's in any plans for this season and might have even done himself permanent damage here. I genuinely can't think of another player who has looked so far out of place in our team.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Anyone else think Charlie Austin is a decent buy for a back up striker? I don’t know if he’d rather be playing more in the championship.