QPR v Manchester United (Friendly) Saturday 24th July 2021 @ 3pm BST | 4-2 loss

Barnslig

Exactly the attitude towards that idiot which has brought us to where we are today. I'm sick of people talking as if the club should let him dictate. There's always an excuse for Pogba, he's the most protected underperformer I've ever known in football.

Not that I'm saying this is the attitude the coaches take, like you make out. But the deflection from fans is just irritating.
Exactly. I'm sick and tired of the leniency Pogba seems afforded everywhere. It's never his fault, always someone else. I was so excited when he rejoined, and I've deluded myself into being very excited every year, cause surely this is the year we'll see the real Pogba, right? Turns out its all memes and dancing videos on Instagram.

Edit: And fashion contests with Matic.

Jezpeza

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of the leniency Pogba seems afforded everywhere. It's never his fault, always someone else. I was so excited when he rejoined, and I've deluded myself into being very excited every year, cause surely this is the year we'll see the real Pogba, right? Turns out its all memes and dancing videos on Instagram.

i’d love to see us sell pogba now tbh. Cba with the theatrics and his fat bellend agent anymore. Hes injury prone, constantly underperforms and seems to be an expert in giving away penalties. The odd good performance and the price tag are all distractions away from the fact he is totally second tier tbf. He isnt in the same boat as a scholes, lampard, gerrard, iniesta etc etc. Decent midfielder with an extra large gob. Sell him to psg and spend it on someone young and talented who wants to play for the shirt.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

As was I. I wanted him back here since he left, but I have come to understand what type of person he is more now that he's returned. Where I once thought he'd be eager to learn and shape his game to suit what we want, he instead thinks he's the finished product and a few flicks and tricks is enough. And that washes with some supporters! It's unbelievable. He could and should have been so much more. Imagine if he had the drive and dedication of Cristiano Ronaldo...he'd have been an absolute monster in midfield. Probably unplayable. And yet people accept what he serves up, it's laughable.

Flytan

Exactly the attitude towards that idiot which has brought us to where we are today. I'm sick of people talking as if the club should let him dictate. There's always an excuse for Pogba, he's the most protected underperformer I've ever known in football.

Not that I'm saying this is the attitude the coaches take, like you make out. But the deflection from fans is just irritating.
Uh I'm pretty indifferent to pogba and would actually rather sell him but of course he's going to get a longer vacation that a bit part player

Barnslig

i’d love to see us sell pogba now tbh. Cba with the theatrics and his fat bellend agent anymore. Hes injury prone, constantly underperforms and seems to be an expert in giving away penalties. The odd good performance and the price tag are all distractions away from the fact he is totally second tier tbf. He isnt in the same boat as a scholes, lampard, gerrard, iniesta etc etc. Decent midfielder with an extra large gob. Sell him to psg and spend it on someone young and talented who wants to play for the shirt.
Agreed. It's time for both parties to walk away. Pogba clearly doesn't have the mentality of an elite footballer. If he ends up going to PSG to end out his career, will definitely be up there as some of the biggest flops for me. Yes he has a WC and some trophies from his time at Juve, but looking back at both the France and Juve teams, Pogba is not the out-and-out star of either team. Great player, horrible attitude/mentality.

As was I. I wanted him back here since he left, but I have come to understand what type of person he is more now that he's returned. Where I once thought he'd be eager to learn and shape his game to suit what we want, he instead thinks he's the finished product and a few flicks and tricks is enough. And that washes with some supporters! It's unbelievable. He could and should have been so much more. Imagine if he had the drive and dedication of Cristiano Ronaldo...he'd have been an absolute monster in midfield. Probably unplayable. And yet people accept what he serves up, it's laughable.
Agreed. If anything he should be afforded a shorter vacation than a 'bit part player' as we're actually going to rely on him this season, what's the point of rushing James back to play 3 games only to not be seen again until January, while Pogba gets to do feck all, come back and be way out of match fitness for the start of the season.

RedDevilRoshi

OK, but that said we can still see that Tuanzebe and Mengi are nowhere good for being our CB backups. We need to sign Varane ASAP, making Lindelof our backup.
A new CB to partner Maguire was always going to be a requirement in this transfer window before a ball in pre-season was even kicked. Even if we kept a clean sheet, it didn’t matter because we know we need to strengthen in that position regardless. I agree I want us to get this Varane deal done ASAP for two reasons - 1) so we can have him available for the Leeds Utd game on August 14th & 2) it still gives us time to get a defensive midfielder in before the window closes.

These matches are an opportunity for backups and youngsters to showcase what they can do in hope to fight for a regular place, or to find a bid. If they shine or show something in these matches they're more likely to get a chance in the season. Like the lad Elanga, he surely should and would get a chance.

I did hope the youngsters would show something, however it seems most of them are pretty far from ready for the PL. Not writing them off, just not ready yet.

Losing a friendly, no big deal. But let's be honest the performance of our backups, like Tuanzebe, Lingard, Pereira, Williams, Mata, Matic were pretty wank. Imo all of them should not be here except Williams. Let's hope Telles, Martial, VDB can show us something more positive than what they showed us last season.
You make some good valid points and I totally get where you are coming from. A lot of our players made some costly mistakes out there but for me it’s also good to make these mistakes now in pre-season so you’ve got time to iron them out before the competitive action begins. It was a valuable learning curve for our youngsters in terms of giving them a taste of how huge a jump from U18’s/U23’s to the senior set up is and opening their eyes up on how not many players make it at this level because it’s simply a different ball game. The defeat to QPR will hopefully stand them in good stead going forward. TBH, I don’t think there was much in this game despite the scoreline. QPR had that crazy 5 min 2nd half spell in which every shot was going in but other than that, there was very little in it. Just a lack of composure in the final 3rd from our players proved decisive as we could so easily have got something from this game but the result is the least of my concerns when it comes to pre-season friendlies. It could have been easy for them to drop their heads when they went 4-1 down but the encouraging sign was - no they didn’t and they still kept plugging away against an experienced side. Unfortunately that breakthrough just never came due to a lack of composure and not being clinically ruthless enough in the final 3rd. Again, it’s a valuable lesson for them to learn from.

Yes the senior players played bad but I’m not going to start panicking after just our 2nd pre-season game. There’s a lot more pre-season friendlies still to be played between now and the Leeds Utd game and who knows, some of these players that played poorly against QPR may end up playing really well against Brentford on Wednesday night. For me, it’s up to the players and coaching staff to work on the weaknesses of your play of the back of this defeat and analyse where you went wrong and try to improve upon those mistakes in order to iron them out. You learn a lot more about yourself and your own game when you lose more so than when you win a game as your major weaknesses get found out and it gives you something that you need to improve upon.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
2things:
1: its a pre season friendly the results of pre season friendly literally mean nothing.
2 we were missing 18 (i think) first team squad members, literally all our best players bar greenwood and A.W.B, making the already meaningless result even more meaningless.
I agree with point 1. But regarding point 2, some of the players need to be contributing to squad depth. We cant be playing 60+ games with just those missing 18 or 20 incl the two who played today.

Strelok

Yes the senior players played bad but I’m not going to start panicking after just our 2nd pre-season game.
I have no issue with the youngsters, they're really young and it's normal. Very few of them would make it at the top level anyway.

My problem is with the backups. They were really bad against a mid table Championship team. If it was a PL team yeah ok that's nothing new. But it was a Championship team ffs, as a backup for United at least they should have done ok against such. It's not much to ask imo. Many of them are on pretty high wages and with years of experience at the top level. I know our backups are mediocre, but tbh I didn't think they couldn't do a thing against a Championship team.

Longshanks

I agree with point 1. But regarding point 2, some of the players need to be contributing to squad depth. We cant be playing 60+ games with just those missing 18 or 20 incl the two who played today.
But those squad players won't be playing alongside the under 23s in the majority of the games your talking about, they will be playing alongside the 18 missing players who are all numerous levels above alot of the players we saw yesterday.

For example Dan James playing with cavani, samcho, bruno and pogba will look a far better player than Dan James playing alongside elanga, pellestri, lingard and perriea.

Same sort of thing with tuanzebe put maguire, Shaw and henderson round him with mctom/Fred Infront and he will look a far better player.

The squad players are there to fill in occasionally alongside the first team not be the main part of the team.

b20times

Are you a United supporter? Strong team? How many of them will start in Mid August? I can't think of one.
Sorry? How peculiar you ask me that! Because I pointed out we had a strong team out, which it was by the way.
Greenwood will be in the running. If pogba goes Matic might get some minutes. Have we got another right back? Wan-bissaka starts then. There's two possibilities maybe three.
And I shall ask you the exact same question. Are you a Utd fan?

Crimson King

Sorry? How peculiar you ask me that! Because I pointed out we had a strong team out, which it was by the way.
Greenwood will be in the running. If pogba goes Matic might get some minutes. Have we got another right back? Wan-bissaka starts then. There's two possibilities maybe three.
So 2 out of 11, if that, against a championship team? Every season PL clubs lose league or FA cup ties to teams lower down the league than that, often with a stronger put out.

It was a fecking friendly! They scored a freak blitz of goals in about 6 minutes, which included a deflected shot and a bit of a screamer.

It's fine to be a bit disappointed or critical of certain individual performances, but anyone saying this is a 'wake up call' or using it to push #oleout, before the season's even started, should have a warning added to their profile saying that they shouldn't be taken seriously.

The Hilton

Pre season means nothing, we learned that the hard way under LvG when we beat the elite teams of Europe easily and were undefeated, only to lose the first match of the season at home to Swansea.

RedDevilRoshi

I have no issue with the youngsters, they're really young and it's normal. Very few of them would make it at the top level anyway.

My problem is with the backups. They were really bad against a mid table Championship team. If it was a PL team yeah ok that's nothing new. But it was a Championship team ffs, as a backup for United at least they should have done ok against such. It's not much to ask imo. Many of them are on pretty high wages and with years of experience at the top level. I know our backups are mediocre, but tbh I didn't think they couldn't do a thing against a Championship team.
Yeah I’m not saying they didn’t play badly but at the same time, I’m not going to start pressing the panic button after just our 2nd pre-season fixture when there is still 2-3 friendlies still to be played and who knows a few those players could end up having a good game in our next pre-season fixture against Brentford. If those performances from those players continue in the next few pre-season friendlies then I’d start to get concerned. Personally I don’t rate our backup players long term as I don’t think the likes of Pereira, Williams, Matic, Mata, Tuanzebe are good enough overall anyway.

Again, will see how these next couple of pre-season games go and then see from there. You just don’t know how it could all go as we could end up playing really poorly in the next 3 pre-season friendlies but then make a flying start in the league. Take LVG’s first season for example in which the polar opposite happened:

We beat LA Galaxy 7-0, Roma 3-2, Liverpool 3-1, Valencia 2-1 & drew 0-0 with Inter but then beat them on pens. A lot of fantastic goals through both as a team and individual brilliance. The players seemed to be comfortable and relaxed in the 3-5-2 formation that we played in those games and were playing some exciting, excellent stuff.

Season started and we lost 2-1 at home to Swansea. Following that was a 1-1 away draw to Sunderland & 0-0 away to Burnley. Sandwiched between that was a 4-0 spanking from MK Dons. Worst possible start to the season that we could not have imagined happening when these games were pretty much very winnable on paper. The players just seemed lost and uncomfortable in that formation and we ended up reverting back to 4-2-3-1.

dalriada

Hi all QPR fan in peace, just thought I'd throw a few observations in to help you assess today. Leaving aside the obvious that it was your 3rd team vs our first, in a friendly game that matters a lot more to us than you:

1. It's been said that we'd be further ahead in pre-season prep. It was correctly pointed out that this was in fact our 2nd pre-season game - in reality it was our first, none of our players today took part in the friendly v Harrow Borough which was strictly for U-23s

2. Conversely it's been said we are a 9th-placed Champ side. Obviously that's factually correct but disguises the fact that we had a season of two halves, being 16th at half-way, then substantially reinforcing with 4 loanees all now signed on permanents, and in the second half of season having 3rd highest points total. Essentially it's that 2nd-half side you played today. I'd suggest you should think of its as being about the same level as Brentford (a side that's beat us year in year out but which the "2nd half of season" QPR beat 2-1)

3. A slight caveat to that last point is that the midfield of that side was built around Stefan Johansen and to a lesser extent Sam Field, neither playing today because SJ only signed terms today and Field is crocked.

PS To the bloke who suggested Austin as a back-up player for you: no way - he's almost certainly taken a big pay cut to be with us, seems like he likes the club and knows he will be first choice starter and fancies a crack promotion, I'm afraid you're exactly the wrong sort of club for him now.
You make a good point, although it was against a Utd 2nd-tier team, it wasn't your full first team we were playing either. Of the four goals, two were poor defending by us but two were good goals anywhere in any league as well.

George the Cat

Our end was decent for most of the game, just good to back at the match. Looking forward to some proper games.

Robbie Boy

Villa lost to Stoke yesterday. Villa should probably just throw the towel in now as relegation clearly awaits them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yes, since 1973

big rons sovereign

Strong team :lol:

JB7

Villa lost to Stoke yesterday. Villa should probably just throw the towel in now as relegation clearly awaits them.
Newcastle lost to York a couple of weeks ago, not sure they'll even bother with the season after that.

DSG

Nope. All would play above that level with clarity and coaching, which every player we sell shows time and time again: Lingard for West Ham, Sanchez, Darmian, and Young for Inter, Smalling for Roma, and so on. They don't play well because they don't know what to do when on the pitch.
So, Mourinho is shite, Ole is shite, Sanchez, Darmian and Young were Ballon D’Or candidates once they left United?

It’s really black and white for you isn’t it? No middle ground or shades of gray.

I guess when you have that outlook, life is much simpler.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah sure, have we ever lost 20-0 in our history? I mean if your gonna try to prove some sort of point at least be realistic.

Either way it wouldn't mean alot to me, there is often odd results in pre seasons friendles it doesn't tend to make much difference to what happens when there are points to play for.
True. It doesn't make any difference at all to the season. I just remember that awful preseason under Mou. Everyone said it didn’t matter but you can see how disjointed that pre-season tour.

Not saying this will be the same. But saying pre-season games don't mean anything is negligent, imho.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
True. It doesn't make any difference at all to the season. I just remember that awful preseason under Mou. Everyone said it didn’t matter but you can see how disjointed that pre-season tour.

Not saying this will be the same. But saying pre-season games don't mean anything is negligent, imho.
Conversely I remember us having an amazing pre season with LVG and then starting horribly.

Mickson

So, Mourinho is shite, Ole is shite, Sanchez, Darmian and Young were Ballon D’Or candidates once they left United?

It’s really black and white for you isn’t it? No middle ground or shades of gray.

I guess when you have that outlook, life is much simpler.
Sounds like you are the black and white guy. I just said that they all have done better since leaving (well Smalling debatable). But then again, Conte is a far superior coach than Ole.

UTD_Since_1978

Bit late to this particular party but I'll chip in anyway.

You know what our reserves (or u-23 as they known nowadays) don't need to arrange any pre-season friendlies because all of those players are playing in pre-season friendlies which should be for our first team players.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sounds like you are the black and white guy. I just said that they all have done better since leaving (well Smalling debatable). But then again, Conte is a far superior coach than Ole.
I think to be fair, Serie A is below the premier league in terms of intensity and physical demands. Sanchez without a doubt went off a cliff in his final half season at Arsenal and never regained his mojo, that includes his international career as well, he might have had the odd spark at Inter, but he was hardly back to his best indeed he was still miles from it.

I think you could say the same for Darmian, who though he's been OK at Parma and at Inter, he's only been OK and certainly hasn't done nearly enough to get back into national team selection for example which he should of done in the last couple of years if he was that good . Young has been able to extend his career a bit because he's in a less intense league.

There are lots of good arguments that can be made for whether Ole is a good or bad coach, but I don't think Sanchez, Young and Darmian are one of them.

Sea-Cow

What a goal by that QPR player though. He'll never score a better one.
Seriously. That is such a great hit, and from his weaker foot too. (I presume it is his weaker foot as he was playing RB)

RedDevilRoshi

Bit late to this particular party but I'll chip in anyway.

You know what our reserves (or u-23 as they known nowadays) don't need to arrange any pre-season friendlies because all of those players are playing in pre-season friendlies which should be for our first team players.
So fielding only 8-9 players then is what you want?

lex talionis

Pre season means nothing, we learned that the hard way under LvG when we beat the elite teams of Europe easily and were undefeated, only to lose the first match of the season at home to Swansea.
Pretty much says it all.