Qualifying rounds CL

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This is the thread for really shit football no neutral would ever want to see.

PSV - Galatasaray is the biggest clash this round. First leg is starting now.

• No Dumfries/Malen, because the manager told them to feck off and get their transfer done
  • 66 is Arda Turan
  • No away goal rule
  • The winner plays Celtic or Midtjylland

mancsarered

Watched Celtic yesterday; they were better than expected, but a silly red card let Midtjylland back into it. 1-1 probably means they'll go out in the second leg.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Watched Celtic yesterday; they were better than expected, but a silly red card let Midtjylland back into it. 1-1 probably means they'll go out in the second leg.
Didn’t Midtjylland score when they were also down to ten men?

Celtic if they go through play PSV or Galatasaray so they’re as good as out. Their goalkeeper is atrocious.

A-man

Watched Malmö - HJK Helsinki, 2-1. First time at the stadium since COVID so it was a lot of fun. Good second half by Malmö, hope they get through now.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What happened to Galatasaray? PSV are obliterating them 5-1 and even the 1 goal they did make was completely against the run of play.

They can't be that bad right? I mean, they have Ryan Babel!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
  • Hatrick for Zahavi and an unofficial brace by Gotze
  • Muslera had a mare of a game
  • Galatasaray played in an unfamiliar 5-3-2 and couldn't deal with PSV's pressing

Last edited:

RU Devil

Would anyone parachute into the Europa League or they are all done with UEFA tourneys?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Would anyone parachute into the Europa League or they are all done with UEFA tourneys?
Loser drops to the third qualifying round of the Europa. As best I can make out, the losers of Celtic and Midtylland will face Jablonec of the Czech Republic.

Loser of that then goes into the Conference League playoff round.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Loser drops to the third qualifying round of the Europa. As best I can make out, the losers of Celtic and Midtylland will face Jablonec of the Czech Republic.

Loser of that then goes into the Conference League playoff round.
Celtic are such a sh*t show. They should really be reaching the CL with their resources, yet always gonout in qualifying then sh*t the bed when they drop in the Ropey League.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Proud to see our boys steal a point against mighty FC Drita. Kosovo's number 2.

This will be a fantastic season. Can I borrow a sword to fall on?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
So many matches for just 6 spots in the group stage is so bad.
It is a joke. They should go back to the same system they had when the top 4 in the big leagues had 3rd and 4th have to qualify.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Does anyone know: December last year there was a CL game, PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir and it was suspended, there was some controversy - an allegation the 4th official used an offensive term, I think. But some said it was a translation issue, a bit like the Cavani matter.

Whatever happened, I know an investigation was announced at the time? My view was it all got blown up on the night and if calmer heads had prevailed the match could have taken place once everyone chilled down, but these days, its such a hot topic.... so I don't really know.

Was there any resolution or was it all just 'forgotten about'?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Does anyone know: December last year there was a CL game, PSG vs Istanbul Basaksehir and it was suspended, there was some controversy - an allegation the 4th official used an offensive term, I think. But some said it was a translation issue, a bit like the Cavani matter.

Whatever happened, I know an investigation was announced at the time? My view was it all got blown up on the night and if calmer heads had prevailed the match could have taken place once everyone chilled down, but these days, its such a hot topic.... so I don't really know.

Was there any resolution or was it all just 'forgotten about'?
The guy was banned for the 20/21 season and had to follow an educational program. One other official got a warning of sorts.

A-man

Malmö FF through with a small margin. Rangers next! I remember Rangers at Malmö stadium 10 years ago as one of those fantastic evenings.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Celtic shitting the bed again. No Champions League football for them this season.

Giggs' right foot

Just returned from today’s FCM v. Celtic match. Wow, just wow. This must be the worst Celtic team in their history. Absolutely no creativity, authority or style. Even behind 2-1 they didn’t look bothered in the slightest about getting a bit more forward for the equaliser.

The age old discussion about how well Celtic and Rangers would fare in the PL is - in Celtic’s case - totallly superfluous, because at the monemt, they wouldn’t even secure promotion from the Championship.

RedDevilRoshi

Wonder if that Aussie coach that they hired out of the blue will still be in the job beyond Xmas?

lsd

The Oracle
Wonder if that Aussie coach that they hired out of the blue will still be in the job beyond Xmas?

Hopefully not but the person who hired him should be fired as well.

They look a mess the players are disinterested and have no motivation or desire to play for the club the way it is being run. Hiring a manager from the Australian League because he is cheap was part much the last straw for them

Rangers should win the league by thirty points this season

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just returned from today’s FCM v. Celtic match. Wow, just wow. This must be the worst Celtic team in their history. Absolutely no creativity, authority or style. Even behind 2-1 they didn’t look bothered in the slightest about getting a bit more forward for the equaliser.

The age old discussion about how well Celtic and Rangers would fare in the PL is - in Celtic’s case - totallly superfluous, because at the monemt, they wouldn’t even secure promotion from the Championship.
Celtic are a bit ridiculous to be honest. After Rangers got relegated they really should've capitalised and pushed on in Europe. Their revenues outstrip the likes of PSV, Slavia Prague, Red Bull Salzburg (although they have rich owners) etc, yet whilst those teams get in the CL, they struggle to even put up a fight in the Ropey half the time.

Celtic's board are far too provincial. Whilst they could've tried to cement themselves as a CL team (who then drop in the EL after the group stage) they preferred thinking about 10 in a row without Rangers about for a significant proportion of the time.

Even more shocking, is that not only did they have that advantage and not ensure CL football, but they also allowed Rangers to overtake them domestically and show them up in Europe as well.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

The problem they had is that the board after chasing Eddie Howe for about 2 months basically gave their new manager 40 days to try & build a full new team. They've basically sold their best defender before the games & been forced to give 1 of their young lads their debut in a make or break champions league qualifier. None of those defenders that played will be first choice after the transfer window shuts. It's a scandal the board put them in that position...& I am a Rangers fan.

Giggs' right foot

The problem they had is that the board after chasing Eddie Howe for about 2 months basically gave their new manager 40 days to try & build a full new team. They've basically sold their best defender before the games & been forced to give 1 of their young lads their debut in a make or break champions league qualifier. None of those defenders that played will be first choice after the transfer window shuts. It's a scandal the board put them in that position...& I am a Rangers fan.
Sure, it’s all a mess. But the same could sort of be said of FCM. They’ve have lost basically their whole CM and their best CB from the last few year’s successes, plus their best striker is out because he’s about to be sold. The subs FCM had to put on were 20, 19, 20, 18, 25 and 24. Four of them haven’t played more than two-three senior games for the club. Seven players - subs and starters included - for today’s game haven’t played more than five games for the club, and there’s a new manager here too. It’s outrageous that Celtic can’t get past that. Sure, I’m thrilled, but it is outrageous.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Amazing how far they've dropped off a cliff. I used to envy that club so much years ago when they had the likes of Cadete, van Hooijdonk, Viduka, Blinker, Balde, Sutton, Hartson, Agathe, Larsson, Sylla, Petrov etc. They had some amazing teams in the early PL years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He pretty much went against the board in his post match interview tonight. Said he hasn’t done a good enough job trying to convince people that they need new signings

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Great to see Celtic bowing out yet again. Despicable club.

redrobed

How did Celtic even manage to lose to whoever that team is?!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
@KirkDuyt Congrats on the early goal.

Should be easy now that FC Drita can't park the bus. You really didn't have kid in the academy that runs a lot and can't cross?

Edit: Too soon :lol: 1-1