Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

TEAM ISOTOPE

Christmas Tree formation at heart.

With two Ballon d’Or midfielders in Kopa and Masopust, and Vieira in midfield (with addition of Rivaldo, another Ballon d'or winner, who is excellent passer), the Team is expecting to dominate the game/possession. The strength and workrate of Luigi Riva as striker, is a perfect foil for those players behind him. With Rivaldo and Kopa can pull wide or narrow as needed.

Not much to say about Valera and Vieira. Two monstrous defensive midfielders who have complimenting attributes.

And in Kaltz and Demyanenko, two three-lung fullbacks who are famous for their attacking powers, will have plenty of opportunities to support attack, when the Team having most of possession. Santamaria, Perfumo, and Shilton are performing as usual.

TEAM JIMOGA

Tactics: 4-2-3-1 full of energy, power, unpredictability and flair. Rock solid defensively and extremely dangerous in the attack.

The team is upgraded with one of the most mercurial talents the world has seen. The enigmatic and charismatic, Paul Breitner, also known as "Der Afro". His presence and playmaking skills on top of all the industry and steel that he provides lifts the whole midfield and our team on another level. With N'Golo Kante alongside of him, it gives a perfect defensive shield for the team while still allowing Breitner to express himself more on the pitch linking and forming a brilliant, complementary midfield partnership with Michael Laudrup.

The song in the video is quite fitting not only to go along with Breitner, but also to show the vibes of the whole team..

The rest of the team is pretty self-explanatory. Rensenbrink and Littbarski provide necessary width to hit Iso flanks supported with our fullbacks while Elkjaer will be in his usual best, all menacing role, pulling that defence around for the 90 minutes scoring or allowing the space for our bunch behind to run into.

This team is built with all players fitting seamlessly into their roles which will allow every individual to work to their full potential. In the same time, it blends immense amount of industry with flair and unpredictability making it unstoppable as a collective.

The beauty of Rob Rensenbrink, Preben Elkjaer and Pierre Littbarski front 3 is that gives an immense amount of work-rate and energy for the team. As been said and looking at the whole team, it is absolutely full of grit, dynamism and stamina while at the same time it provides a huge array of threat all around the pitch (midfield, flanks, attack, set pieces..). It is kind of a trademark of this team already, but Breitner addition just pushes it on another level.

THOUGHTS ON THE OPPOSITION AND THE MATCH

We do respect Iso's team and the threats that can come our way. Very good pair of fullbacks/wingbacks with a lovely central punch in Kopa/Rivaldo/Riva axis. However, we simply see our team as stronger overall pushing the intensity of the match to the level which will make us impossible to contain while hitting his team from different zones throughout the whole match.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Good luck @Isotope !

Voting for ourselves to see the score.

Thank you for setting up the match EAP

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good luck @Isotope !

Voting for ourselves to see the score.

Thank you for setting up the match EAP
Thanks, Edgar.

Great team you guys have there, Joga and Jim. From Gk, defence to attack are perfect, imho.
Hth, I like it very much. Getting Breitner just a nail in the coffin for my team, :lol: :(

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Really like the Littbarski start here but am not sure if it will be enough against that 5 man midfield. Breitner should almost always upgrade a 4231 but I don't really fancy the Kante-Breitner base against the opposition.

For Isotope, Santamaria-Perfumo is slightly underwhelming in the overall context of both the teams. If not for them, would have been a straight forward vote from me.

Will check back and vote tomorrow as this is close.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Did Kopa and Zebec ever face off in real life? I do think I remember Zebec facing France but am not sure

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really like the Littbarski start here but am not sure if it will be enough against that 5 man midfield. Breitner should almost always upgrade a 4231 but I don't really fancy the Kante-Breitner base against the opposition.

For Isotope, Santamaria-Perfumo is slightly underwhelming in the overall context of both the teams. If not for them, would have been a straight forward vote from me.

Will check back and vote tomorrow as this is close.
Yeh. It will be hard also to improve my CBs with all those restrictions. Littbarski is a great choice, imho. Has the workrate, flexibility to help central area, and creativity.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
where is pirlo? he should be playing

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Good luck Iso. :) I like Iso team almost always and said that quite a few time.

It does look good off the bat, but of course we see and sense quite a few problems with it or the ones that we will put for that team which will be very hard to deal with and ultimately win it for us collectively.

While being very good in terms of a midfield battle on the first glance the individual and collective characteristics of our team will poise a full range of problems imo. First of all, that team could definitely be found wanting defensively with our set up and quite obviously and especially on the flanks with Kaltz & Demyanenko perhaps not receiving optimal support against two flanks boasting Lahm-Littbarski & Zebec-Rensenbrink. Kaltz was a fine marauding WB, but he might find it tough going up against Rensenbrink's creativity and trickery. Neither Kopa nor Rivaldo offer much defensive cover which is important to note and will make the job a bit easier for our CM, especially in quick transition, and Perfumo-Santamaria weren't exactly dynamic defenders who were at ease covering their FBs.

Whilst Vieira and Masopust were immense midfielders with plenty of workrate, they are also not notable for playing flank covering roles or being at ease on the flanks (Masopust liked drifting to the left offensively but not so much defensively, although he might provide a bit more support, but again we don't see him being enough in that sense).

On the flipside, there's the monstrous midfield duo of Breitner & Kante stifling and crowding out the engine room, with support from the likes of Elkjaer-Littbarski-Rensenbrink which is pretty crucial here. Littbarski in particular has plenty of experience playing central roles, esp for FC Köln and with him even being a RCM in a 5-3-2 for Germany 1990 WC winning vintage. He was a proper presence off the ball and any match or compilation that you watch of him will confirm that. An absolute menace in his defensive play and his involvement here is crucial and adds much needed presence in both phases, so we are quite fortune to have him.

Be it a quick turnover from Kante, a piercing long ball from Breitner (he had a wonderful passing range and an ability to turn the team on the front foot on the counter in an instant), the delightful vision of Laudrup, the Snakeman's wand of a left peg, the trademark rapier like rampages of Elkjaer and the craftiness of Littbatski - there's a potent cocktail of industry and rapid transitioning ability with plenty of outballs and the vision to fully capitalize on any openings.

Another key point would be the versatility and tactical nous of Lahm & Zebec who have played several positions and roles, with the crucial duality of being at ease out wide or tucking in, which is further enhanced by the industry from Littbarski and Rensenbrink (to a lesser extent). They match up rather well against the dangerous duo of Rivaldo & Kopa if needed. Likewise, it'll be a cracking battle between Riva's physicality and explosiveness and McGrath's formidable defending, whilst I'm not exactly sure if Perfumo & Santamaria would be at home dealing with the devilish Elkjaer.

Bratseth would have definitely been the better option in our opinion here and make that defence more solid.

While Riva is really a great striker he is dealing with a brilliant defence and most of all very fitting presence of McGrath on him. 4-3-2-1 does offer quite a lot in midfield, but it can often leave your front man isolated at times, especially here where there is double duo of Breitner and Kante to block Kopa/Rivaldo zone. In that sense, Iso will have to push more forward with the rest of the team and that is were we feel the whole industry of the team will help, as well as the ability to turn the defence in the attack in an instant. Iso's team will find it extremely difficult to both go through our flanks (which is crucial for Christmas tree to fully function in the attacking phase), but in the same time find it almost impossible to defend against it on the other side.

In short, seeing both teams we are quite content with going for a far more industrious version this time which is absolutely brimming with energy and the one who will also not just provide threat centrally, but also, and crucially on those flanks of Iso where 4-3-2-1 can be hurt, especially because that defence is lacking a bit more defensive solidity or a defender who would pull almost a Baresi level of display.
With our team being able to provide more cover defensively and with our players being able to put a proper shift all around or move more easily to cover some zones, we see that as a tiebreaker here. Hell, even Elkjaer will run all over relentlessly as he always did. That's the beauty of that front 3 along with the rest of the team I guess.

Himannv

Voting for Beanito mostly due to the quality of their CB pairing compared to Iso's duo. I think Perfumo and Santamaria are not good enough for this stage of the draft.

Šjor Bepo

Santamaria, Paul Scholes of centerbacks :drool:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Voting for Beanito mostly due to the quality of their CB pairing compared to Iso's duo. I think Perfumo and Santamaria are not good enough for this stage of the draft.
Thank you, EAP take note. Jimoga :o

Jim Beam

Cheers Himan.

It's not just CB pairing. Let's look at it purely on individual battles and move on the collective then. The beauty of good, ol' 4-2-3-1 is that is quite adaptable, especially with our players being comfortable in different roles.

So, let's just put a simple and narrow 4-2-3-1 to mirror Iso when attacking and being in possession and suddenly there is no overload or any advantage in midfield.

Ladrup - Varela
Littbarski - Masopust
Rensenbrink - Vieira
Kante - Rivaldo
Breitner - Kopa
Zebec - Kaltz
Lahm - Demyanenko
Riva squeezed between Blanc and McGrath

Bonus point - Elkjaer who loved to drop deeper and help the defence, especially on the right channel of the opposition where Vieira and Kaltz operate or press the backline once the ball is there...

Not exactly easy to go through would be understatement, in fact everywhere aside from Vieira - Rensenbrink it's a huge, massive stop sign. And even then it is Vieira in deeper area who loved to break the lines and will run into the block of people. Just Kante ability in defence is going hugely underrated along with that back 4. The man is so good that he made Danny Drinkwater receive national call and made him sold for £35 million. That's some Harry Houdini level of shit.

Ok, let's look at possible turnover and ability to hit you fast on the counter from deep with exquisite long pass. Blanc, McGrath, Lahm, Zebec, Breitner from deeper areas. Laudrup pulling deeper/wide and drawing the markers while Rensenbrink/Elkjaer/Littbarski are hitting vacated areas and attacking that backline. Not only that Demyanenko and Kaltz will have trouble covering that much space, but then they will have to cover 1 on 1 with Rensenbrink and Littbarski which is a problem in itself if they somehow manage to went back, but they also face a possible overload with Zebec/Lahm at times.

Let's not forget that ability to do fast transition also depends on how fast will other team press you once you win it. Again that's not the phase in which Kopa or Rivaldo thrived and Riva won't be able to do it on his own because the ball will switch to other CB, FB or played to the middle/forwards... Or the defender with the ball will simply run forward with it pushing the team higher up. That's like a massive advantage of having a ball playing backline. (Again), we have the ability to press far more quickly and slow down the transition on the other side.

Even that same Kante, who is mentioned above, allowing Drinkwater of all people to look like a very good player is not only accustomed to make his midfield partner fully shine like in case of Drinkwater who is a turd and then Pogba/Jorginho (while here he has Breitner of all people), but he is also pretty good with hitting you with long balls being his trademark move for Vardy in Leicester and now it only improved in recent years allowing him to even dominate in possession based system. It's just that he is so freaking good in breaking and disrupting the opposition that his other abilities go a bit unnoticed.

Press resistance of our players? Again superior with that backline, Breitner, Kante, Laudrup, Rensenbrink, Littbarski and Elkjer.

So, superior workrate, technical and ball playing ability overall throughout the team, better covering ability (with Zebec, Lahm, McGrath, Breitner, Kante, Littbarski all suited to provide cover and function in different roles), bigger advantage in individual/collective battles once we attack the "weaker zone" of the opposition, better press resistance and on top of that a massive gap in quality of the back 4 not only in defending, but also in ball-playing ability. Oh, and a better goalkeeper while we at it.

Iso team is good, don't get me wrong and it's semi-final, but I mean, even he literally waved a white flag in his post here. If I missed something feel free to let me know.

Don't forget to like, subscribe and hit the notification bell

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Whilst Vieira and Masopust were immense midfielders with plenty of workrate, they are also not notable for playing flank covering roles or being at ease on the flanks (Masopust liked drifting to the left offensively but not so much defensively, although he might provide a bit more support, but again we don't see him being enough in that sense).
Name me even one central midfielder who is notably more at ease on the flank than Masopust. As for the cover fullback it at least can be considered as a point, but he did it from time to time (with more effort than skill in that department).

Jim Beam

Name me even one central midfielder who is notably more at ease on the flank than Masopust. As for the cover fullback it at least can be considered as a point, but he did it from time to time (with more effort than skill in that department).
Which is the reason why we admitted that point when it comes to him. But overall, it's not nearly the same if you have plethora of players who can cover multiple roles and being at ease on the other side like Zebec, Lahm, Breitner, Littbarski, hell even McGrath, is it?

harms

Staff
Which is the reason why we admitted that point when it comes to him. But overall, it's not nearly the same if you have plethora of players who can cover multiple roles and being at ease on the other side like Zebec, Lahm, Breitner, Littbarski, hell even McGrath, is it?
So you’ve made a general point about 2 midfielders… with one of them being pretty much the opposite of what you’ve described. So you’ve decided to state that he wasn’t as bad instead of writing something correct in the first place.

I’m not talking about the overall point here.

Blanc & McGrath we’re immense defenders but they were not known for their pace or ability to cover wide areas (McGrath played as a side back so he may provide a bit more support…). Sounds weird, right?

Jim Beam

So you’ve made a general point about 2 midfielders… with one of them being pretty much the opposite of what you’ve described. So you’ve decided to state that he wasn’t as bad instead of writing something correct in the first place.

I’m not talking about the overall point here.

Blanc & McGrath we’re immense defenders but they were not known for their pace or ability to cover wide areas (McGrath played as a side back so he may provide a bit more support…). Sounds weird, right?
No, I've made an absolutely clear general point when it comes to providing cover from other teammates. Which is exactly why the post started with Kopa/Rivaldo in terms of providing defensive cover if you read it again. Then followed it up to the midfield and defenders in the exact same post. So, all the way up to the back of his team. We were sure that Masopust loved to drifted wide in the attacking role for sure, but we weren't so sure about the defensive side and conceded he may be (by anology) able to provide that with...

but again we don't see him being enough in that sense
which means that, if he is the only one being able to provide such cover, it still won't be enough looking at the team dynamics overall (so, again shifted to more general point). Looks pretty clear to me. Also, if he was great defensively to cover the flank, it is fair and we concede that point.

What sounds weird to me though is you nitpicking and ignoring the general point, huge amounts of other questions being ignored if you ask me and then downplaying a bit players on our side (McGrath played as a side back so he may provide a bit more support…). Lahm also a bit, Littbarski a bit, Zebec a bit, Breitner a bit I guess, so bit by bit I guess...

There is also a huge amount of other questions being ignored, so hey ho, why not. That backline clearly not being on the required level sticking in the whole range of things.

harms

Staff
What sounds weird to me though is you nitpicking and ignoring the general point, huge amounts of other questions being ignored if you ask me and then downplaying a bit players on our side (McGrath played as a side back so he may provide a bit more support…). Lahm also a bit, Littbarski a bit, Zebec a bit, Breitner a bit I guess Bit by bit...
Who says that I'm ignoring the general point? I haven't even commented on the game one way or another.

The stuff about McGrath bit was just to show how bad your wording about Vieira and Masupost was, hence why I've pasted your own words (including "he might provide a bit more support"), that, funnily enough, seem to concern you when they are being mirrored back on your team. It wasn't an actual criticism by the way as it can not be more valid than saying that Masupost isn't comfortable out wide.

No, I've made an absolutely clear general point when it comes to providing cover from other teammates. Which is exactly why the post started with Kopa/Rivaldo providing defensive cover if you read again. Then followed it up to the midfield and defenders in the exact same post. So, all the way up to the back of his team. We were sure that Masopust loved to drifted wide in the attacking role for sure, but we weren't so sure about the defensive side and conceded he may be (by anology) able to provide that with...
What about "or being at ease on the flanks" then? I'm not even going to argue about Masopust's defensive contribution even though you clearly underestimate it.

Jim Beam

Who says that I'm ignoring the general point? I haven't even commented on the game one way or another.

The stuff about McGrath bit was just to show how bad your wording about Vieira and Masupost was, hence why I've pasted your own words (including "he might provide a bit more support"), that, funnily enough, seem to concern you when they are being mirrored back on your team. It wasn't an actual criticism by the way as it can not be more valid than saying that Masupost isn't comfortable out wide.

What about "or being at ease on the flanks" then? I'm not even going to argue about Masopust's defensive contribution even though you clearly underestimate it.
This is going in circle. It is clear I made Masopust remark as a part of an overall point. And yeah, if we are talking only about Masopust in all of the bible being mentioned above then you are ignoring the general point which was made in that exact same post (you cut it and ignored the rest). I even conceded and corrected on Masopust part, and yeah it is worded badly, so fair correction on your part. You will find and correct some of the bits that are worded badly if you raise enough of them.

The part that concerned me is only and solely about all other points being ignored ("me talking with me about myself/team in this case").

I mean, after that whole post above (2 of them to be precise), in terms of all our advantages, well explained and detailed, here you go with Masopust bit. It is strange, alright.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I vote to Jim,I have a reason that 4-2-3-1 is the perfect counter of 4-3-3(although your front three is wing forwards).

Isotope team will have a lot of possesions in the game.If they meet together,imho it will be 55/45 for both-teams.
The difference is I can think Jim as an upgrade France 2018 a world championship team which didn't hold a lot of possessions too but relied on fast counter attacks,excellent pivot-midfielders and through balls/long balls.

I view Brietner as a more discipline,work harders both on and off the ball,have better mentality in the field and play defense better than Pogba
despite he was not flashy as the French-man.He would work well with Kante(who is more defensive mind) and create a great midfield construction.

Overall,It's close game but the X factor of both-teams is Manfred Kaltz.I say Manfred Kaltz becuase I don't think Kaltz is match from Isotope's team,in his playing days he was more suitable for a strong ST type like Hruebech or in modern days(1999-)like Drogba,Vieri,Ruud or Giroud.He was a specialist in high-crosses to big strikers head,he was no Trent Arnold who is today specialist in low-crosses for fast strikers like Salah,Mane(Riva in this type).I don't say that Trent is overall better player than Kaltz,Kaltz is better than Trent sure but Trent is better low-crossers than Kaltz(IMHO).

Another thing about Kaltz is he sometimes was liabilty in defense,I have seen him a lot of times got exposed by fast and tricky winger even sometimes with lb(Cabrini in mundial82).He is for sure one of the greatest rb of all time,had one of the best high-crosses in the game,great passing ranges and can played at cb(at least at 78,when Berti played at RB) and had the great mentality but I still think Kaltz isn't fit for your team since your team don't need a lot high-crosses from side,your team need a rb who is great stamina(although Kaltz was great at this department),can join and overlapping to creat space for Rivaldo and Kopa and run up and down in the whole-game all of them are not in Kaltz characteristics.Kaltz is one of the best offensive for sure but he is more of type when he was more of a type when he had tempo or space,he would do high-crosses not an overlapping full-backs who make a space for attackers.

In your team,base on at this moment I think Hakimi fits most from Isotope's team and you know that Hakimi plays very different from Trent-Arnold.

On the other way,I feel Kaltz can't really handle Litti really well.He was no Vogts in this regard.

Laudrup would drop deep to central like his playing-day in Barcelona(not young Laudrup during 83-87) and he will spray great-balls to 3high speed forwards when in term of counter-attacks.This team would be fecking god in counter-attacks and it's hardly to stop one of the greatest passers ever combine with 3high speed forwards and have hardworking central midfielders behind them.

@Isotope
@Jim Beam @Joga Bonito

Reactions: Invictus

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I vote to Jim,I have a reason that 4-2-3-1 is the perfect counter of 4-3-3(although your front three is wing forwards).

Isotope team will have a lot of possesions in the game.If they meet together,imho it will be 55/45 for both-teams.
The difference is I can think Jim as an upgrade France 2018 a world championship team which didn't hold a lot of possessions too but relied on fast counter attacks,excellent pivot-midfielders and through balls/long balls.

I view Brietner as a more discipline,work harders both on and off the ball,have better mentality in the field and play defense better than Pogba
despite he was not flashy as the French-man.He would work well with Kante(who is more defensive mind) and create a great midfield construction.

Overall,It's close game but the X factor of both-teams is Manfred Kaltz.I say Manfred Kaltz becuase I don't think Kaltz is match from Isotope's team,in his playing days he was more suitable for a strong ST type like Hruebech or in modern days(1999-)like Drogba,Vieri,Ruud or Giroud.He was a specialist in high-crosses to big strikers head,he was no Trent Arnold who is today specialist in low-crosses for fast strikers like Salah,Mane(Riva in this type).I don't say that Trent is overall better player than Kaltz,Kaltz is better than Trent sure but Trent is better low-crossers than Kaltz(IMHO).

Another thing about Kaltz is he sometimes was liabilty in defense,I have seen him a lot of times got exposed by fast and tricky winger even sometimes with lb(Cabrini in mundial82).He is for sure one of the greatest rb of all time,had one of the best high-crosses in the game,great passing ranges and can played at cb(at least at 78,when Berti played at RB) and had the great mentality but I still think Kaltz isn't fit for your team since your team don't need a lot high-crosses from side,your team need a rb who is great stamina(although Kaltz was great at this department),can join and overlapping to creat space for Rivaldo and Kopa and run up and down in the whole-game all of them are not in Kaltz characteristics.Kaltz is one of the best offensive for sure but he is more of type when he was more of a type when he had tempo or space,he would do high-crosses not an overlapping full-backs who make a space for attackers.

In your team,base on at this moment I think Hakimi fits most from Isotope's team and you know that Hakimi plays very different from Trent-Arnold.

On the other way,I feel Kaltz can't really handle Litti really well.He was no Vogts in this regard.

Laudrup would drop deep to central like his playing-day in Barcelona(not young Laudrup during 83-87) and he will spray great-balls to 3high speed forwards when in term of counter-attacks.This team would be fecking god in counter-attacks and it's hardly to stop one of the greatest passers ever combine with 3high speed forwards and have hardworking central midfielders behind them.

@Isotope
@Jim Beam @Joga Bonito
Thanks for the detailed post. Agree with most of it, although I do think the criticism of Kaltz might be a tad harsh since Riva would sure appreciate the crossing prowess of the German. He would find it tough to deal with Rensenbrink though. Laudrup is well placed in making an impact with the forwards ahead of him with Breitner to dovetail with.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Great midfield and attack @Isotope. Think the defence was one top CB short from completely nailing the team.

Jim Beam

His teams are always spot on. He didn't even debate and it was an immense struggle to go through... Absolute Don, the fact he is always downplaying his drafting ability and comes up with such team, even in a case where he had a useless pick the round before speaks volumes.

Well done @Isotope

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Congrats @Jim Beam and @Joga Bonito

I just see it will be harder to improve my team on further rounds with those restrictions. I don't see adding any available player to mine, can win against harms or enigma either.
3 managers starting in SA, made it harder to get good players on early picks.

Yours have much more room to improve with that monstrous team already.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Also I'm just curious of our centerbacks. Which one in JimJo's is better than Santamaria, and how do you rate Perfumo vs Blanc or McGrath?

Šjor Bepo

Also I'm just curious of our centerbacks. Which one in JimJo's is better than Santamaria, and how do you rate Perfumo vs Blanc or McGrath?
if you going for a win, never pick Santamaria. He is all good and fine until the moment draft game starts in which case you are better with Noureddine Naybet.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Congrats @Jim Beam and @Joga Bonito
Cheers!

I'd say it was mainly an issue of Perfumo and Santamaria not complementing each other very well. Both were fine defenders but primarily utilized their reading of the game and positioning, whilst neither were particularly gifted physically. Sort of like Moore and Khurtsilava playing together for example. Didn't help that they were facing a rapid forward line too. An inferior but a more complementary CB would have been ideal. Bratseth would have been great imo.

jimoga did it again
:lol:

if you going for a win, never pick Santamaria. He is all good and fine until the moment draft game starts in which case you are better with Noureddine Naybet.
Tbf always thought there were two clear groups, with one rating him and regarding him as a vital component of that Real side, with the other considering him too shaky and primarily getting his reputation due to being part of that Di Stefano's Real vintage.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
haha.. i see that Scholes joke, mate. What do you say @antohan on Santamaria? I think @harms liking him to Sergio Ramos.