Quarter-finals discussion

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
With all the quarter-finals set this evening and no games until Friday after tonight, I thought we might need a thread to discuss the next round.

Friday 6 July

15h: France - Uruguay
19h: Brazil - Belgium

Saturday 7 July
15h: Sweden - England
19h: Russia - Croatia

If not Belgium, I want England or Brazil to win it so I'm happy to play Brazil in the next round. I think we have a decent chance if we are at our best, so it will need to be a lot better than yesterday. Going out with a good performance against them is nothing to be ashamed of though.

Last edited:

Siorac

Not a lot of games left :(

A potential Switzerland v Colombia quarter-final is the only one I don't really have a lot of interest in. So I hope it will be England v Sweden.

Brazil v Belgium should be a great game so naturally it's going to be terrible.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Uruguay Brazil and Croatia to go through! England should be able to win vs Colombia tonight but the game vs Croatia will be difficult.

Red Star One

Although I understand the logic behind it, I am still a bit irritated we'll have two QFs on the same day and that there will be two days without football :(

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Crazy to see a Belgium v Brazil quarter, likely followed by a Belgium/Brazil v France semi, and then potentially the winner plays a Colombia/Switzerland/Croatia in the final. Bonkers!

Ainu

France - Uruguay looks very interesting. I think Mbappe will find it a lot harder to get any space to run into against Uruguay's brick wall of a defence. Argentina made it too easy for him. This could be the making of the current French generation.

Our game against Brazil should have a lot of goals in it, so it's almost guaranteed to entertain the neutrals. I'll be a complete nervous wreck though. I've never truly believed our team is capable of big things but winning this game would definitely change that. I can't see it happening though, this is probably as far as we go, once again.

Treble

Brazil have a more solid team than Belgium but Belgium have great players too and with a bit of luck they could win. Hope for many goals and/or a thriller.

mystarrocks

Crazy to see a Belgium v Brazil quarter, likely followed by a Belgium/Brazil v France semi, and then potentially the winner plays a Colombia/Switzerland/Croatia in the final. Bonkers!
i see what you did there( england wink)

The Purley King

Brasil Belgium should be a great game.
Hope Belgium win, ideally with a well timed Fellaini elbow on Neymar. Neymar would go on to break the world record for number of rolls on the ground whilst clutching face.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hope Belgium win, ideally with a well timed Fellaini elbow on Neymar. Neymar would go on to break the world record for number of rolls on the ground whilst clutching face.
They won't though unless Lukaku finds his shooting boots pretty quick after yesterday. Brazil's movement is far better than Japan's and they do have more street fighting ability than most.
They'll be missing Casemiro though. Bit of a blow for them

Cal?

CR7 fan
Belgium v France SF please...

Hopefully Fellaini makes Neymar cry in the QF

Kapardin

Would like to see Lukaku or Fellaini do this:

el3mel

France
Brazil
Russia (bold predictions but have strong feeling it's going to happen)
England

Bobski

It is actually ridiculous how great a chance this is for England, can get to the final without having played a great team, or even a particularly good one.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
England, Croatia, Sweden, Russia looks like a qualification group for the Euros... not a quarter final bracket to get to a WC final.

saivet

Feck, I'm likely gonna miss the England game. Today's game stressed me so maybe it's a good thing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brazil, France, Croatia, England for me although couple of extra times in that.

Uruguay could well take out France but I want to see them v Brazil in semi final.

Mind you that prediction is all 4 favourites going through to semi final which will go against the grain in this WC.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
England simply have to make the final, they'll never have a better chance

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
France, Brazil, Croatia and England looks 'normal' for a world cup SF

But I'm not making any predictions.
Yep and this World Cup has been anything but normal, Russia have a solid chance of doing Croatia if you ask me...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Russia vs Croatia...any predictions? I genuinely have no idea.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What I think it will be:

Uruguay-Brazil
Croatia-England

What I hope it will be is the same but obviously Belgium in for Brazil.

alsabi

Russia vs Croatia...any predictions? I genuinely have no idea.
If Croatia play like they did in the group stage they should trouble Russia more than Spain did. If they play like they did vs Denmark then Russia have a great chance.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think Uruguay will do France, with a massive defence and two strikers who'll take what comes their way. They can also play dirty. France responded brilliantly to going behind vs Argentina but looked so complacent before hand, if they let Uruguay ahead they'll be out. - Uruguay.

A midfield 3 of Fernandinho, Paulinho and Coutinho will power past Witsel and KDB (if the later is so poor defensively). Lukaku aside Mertens has been at best meh and Hazard good. KDB poor despite the assists and doing nothing defensively. Kompany looks like he's not ready and Boyata is not good enough. 3rd 2-0 in a row coming up for Brazil - Brazil.

England v Sweden is interesting, neither were great today and we almost shit ourselves after conceding. Sweden will to solid but I think England have more talent, going to go England after ET in a scrappy game. - England

Russia vs Croatia. If Croatia turn up, Russia will be out. If they slip a little and play like the Denmark game, Russia will beat them. Don't think they'll be that poor again. - Croatia.

So now I've picked all that you can be guaranteed that it will be France, Belgium, Sweden and Russia in the semi's.