Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Withnail

He didn't say anything meaningful would change. When Jfk died and Diana the world kept turning. As it will when every human is long but dust. Doesn't make it not a significant day.
They said one of the most momentous days of our lives. Possibly the most melodramatic statements I've ever read, just to continue the hyperbolic theme.

Momentous: of great importance or significance, especially in having a bearing on future events.

They meant something else. Perhaps significant as you said but not momentous.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And I'm certainly not arguing for the concept of the monarchy. Personally I think it's outdated and a bit ridiculous. But people celebrating an old woman's death should legitimately take a look at themselves.
Not that I'm advocating for crass comments but at this point there is no meaningful distinction between The Queen as a person and as an institution.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
They said one of the most momentous days of our lives. Possibly the most melodramatic statements I've ever read, just to continue the hyperbolic theme.

Momentous: of great importance or significance, especially in having a bearing on future events.

They meant something else. Perhaps significant as you said but not momentous.
Good old dictionary

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The new national anthem will take some getting used to. Unless they change it to something completely different.
Huh? The only change is substituting King for Queen and changing any feminine pronouns to masculine. I think most will find it incredibly easy.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Watching the news tonight showing her from 52 till now. She really enjoyed being Queen right till the end. So touching to watch her from so young and now to read the negativity is disappointing but not surprising. RIP

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
As a republican who now lives overseas I'm very glad I don't have to experience the next 10 days first hand. QE2 was ok if you have to have a hereditary monarch and it will be interesting if Charles can rise to the challenge as he doesn't strike me as that bright, inciteful or empathetic outside his royal greenhouse. I doubt he will be bad enough to push the UK away from their royalty but I'm hoping it is enough to tip Australia over into being a republic - grown up enough not be be ruled by a foreign monarch. THE DG (proxy for the Queen as head of state) being involved in #scottyfrommarketing's shenanigans - secretly appointing himself to various ministries on top of his own, without even telling the minister involved - might also factor in.

But then again probably not.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Watching the news tonight showing her from 52 till now. She really enjoyed being Queen right till the end. So touching to watch her from so young and now to read the negativity is disappointing but not surprising. RIP
Agreed, I think the real pandemic is the lack of respect to our Lizzy

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I mean if you're a royalist it will be a big moment in history. For most it's just another famous person dying (admittedly she ranks quite high in terms of fame).

The same way Michael Jackson fans consider his death a big moment in history.

Atleast with the latter you can still experience his legacy through his music.
You can still do that, just go to a museum and look at the stuff we refuse to give back.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Pronouns are a big part of the culture war nowadays. I look forward to the inevitable arguments.
We should start a rumour that these are the new lyrics,

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send them victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King!

LARulz

I mean if you're a royalist it will be a big moment in history. For most it's just another famous person dying (admittedly she ranks quite high in terms of fame).

The same way Michael Jackson fans consider his death a big moment in history.

Atleast with the latter you can still experience his legacy through his music.
Again, how big it is relative but most people, more than Michael Jackson, will remember this death

I feel you are looking at this from a very simplistic view (not saying you are simple or dumb etc., please don't take it that way). Realising that this is a historic moment (even if for a brief moment) doesn't mean people think it will impact their lives more than 1 day. It's just a 'wow she's the only monarch I've known so it's weird' moment. She was widely popular too so has more attention (even if we disagree that she should be this popular)

Also for many anti monarchy people, Queen was still well liked (relatively as a person as she came across as a sweet old lady.... even if she wasn't) - it may be the beginning of the end for the Royals cos nobody really likes Charles. For that reason, it could even be more historic

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
We should start a rumour that these are the new lyrics,

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send them victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King!
:lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I respect your sarcasm, there are more important things going on.
There certainly bloody isn't, and there won't be for a long time yet. It'll be one of those occasions where even 50 years from now we'll remember where we were.

When my grandkids ask me where I was, I'll look them in the eye and tell them I was fighting the good fight on a footie forum in defence of our Queen. Was I disappointed to see the negativity? Yes. Was I surprised? No chance. Hansi Flick? More like Hansi Bin Laden

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That's just completely false.
Name any major decisions that Elizabeth made which had major geopolitics ramifications or any decisions they could have made in direct opposition of the parliament since George iv.

(I think George III did appoint some of his prime ministers but they didn't matter in the long run.)

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Name any major decisions that Elizabeth made which had major geopolitics ramifications or any decisions they could have made in direct opposition of the parliament since George iv.

(I think George III did appoint some of his prime ministers but they didn't matter in the long run.)
What's with all these goalposts shifting? I said actions people find abhorrent, like for example protecting her son fecking children. Now you're narrowing down the scope to major decisions that have major geopolitical ramifications, where did that come from. :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What's with all these goalposts shifting? I said actions people find abhorrent, like for example protecting her son fecking children. Now you're narrowing down the scope to major decisions that have major geopolitical ramifications, where did that come from. :lol:
Ok fair enough i misunderstood your original post then.