Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know if you are aware but you are incorrect in as much as the Queen has always had the opportunity to change Acts of Parliament in favour of herself and family, particularly in ensuring new Tax adjustments are made in her favour and exempted. That sort of thing for starters is 'real power' over the serfs.
Never got why so many give the Royals a pass on their self interested meddling with our democracy. Queen's consent for example.

Seems like some mass form of Stockhome Syndrome to me.

Bondi77

Sad sad day but she had a great innings...she will be missed, RIP.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t know why but for some reason this really made me sad even if I think the monarchy is a little outdated. I guess even after moving to the States years ago there is something about the Queen that felt constant and even some pride about having her as the face of England. I realize she had flaws and a lot of people do not understand the importance of her passing but to me she was just always the Queen who was always there and no matter what anyone says this is a massive historic event . RIP Elizabeth R

BEST No7

Never got why so many give the Royals a pass on their self interested meddling with our democracy. Queen's consent for example.

Seems like some mass form of Stockhome Syndrome to me.
Do you think the UK would better off with, say a president? We become a Republic? Its the same shit different guise.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I want a British republic, but you have to admit her personal popularity meant that most felt unable to criticise her. Anyway, it is likely the other realms where Charles is Head of State will move to republics over the coming years.
Republicans dont need to not like or hate or love a person being the queen or a blue collar worker. Is the institution. I don't care of elizabeth the person. She died like many people I don't know so I have no sympathy or antipathy towards her as a person. But today is a very good day for my believes as everytime a monarch dies it comes the debate of monarchy yes or no, being in UK or another monarchy in another country and little by little make disappear these leeches

BEST No7

One?

Pretty sure we can do a republic for less than 100 million a year. And that is before we nationalise some or all of the billions the royals currently control.
That's nothing. Pocket change to a country's wealth. What's these other billions your talking about? What other than personal, is these other billions?

Abizzz

Don’t let the skirt fool you. I’ve seen what she said about the monarchy.
Honestly it would be hilarious if a conservative PM opened that can of worms while brexit, covid and Ukraine war are still ongoing.

Starting to think it might happen.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That's nothing. Pocket change to a country's wealth. What's these other billions your talking about? What other than personal, is these other billions?
The billions they own isn't personal. It was fleeced from us all (and others).

BEST No7

The billions they own isn't personal. It was fleeced from us all (and others).
Look. You weren't alive neither were 99% of this forum when the Queen fleeced anybody. So don't pretend it's your money, or your special. We all pay taxes and it all goes to someone. Monarchy or not

BEST No7

Hence... Mr Wibble. Some greedy fecker will steal your lunch money. Be calm