Television Queens Gambit -- Netflix

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Heard terrific things about it. I am starting the second season of The Alienist, so i will give it a go after that hopefully.

I have so much stuff to watch on Netflix as it is.

James_42

Finished watching it recently and really enjoyed it, didn't expect to like a series about chess so much.

The soundtrack was also great.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really enjoyed it. They paced it quite well for only a 7 episode series, it didn’t feel rushed & equally didn’t drag on. Anya Taylor-Joy’s performance was superb.

Sylar

Was a fun watch. It's crazy how I see few of the lesser characters from GoT on things like this

Main actress is great too

I like chess so this was good

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah it was excellent, although the last episode
was a bit too cheery and cliché for me. Like all her old acquaintances convening in Billy's place to help her over the phone was pure cringe. Everything just went a bit too well for her, I'm not saying I wanted her to have a bad ending but like.. I dunno.. it didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the show.

Sylar

was a bit too cheery and cliché for me. Like all her old acquaintances convening in Billy's place to help her over the phone was pure cringe. Everything just went a bit too well for her, I'm not saying I wanted her to have a bad ending but like.. I dunno.. it didn't really fit the tone of the rest of the show.
I didnt think there could be any other ending though, that could have worked.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Excellent first episode. Great acting, great scene setting, and it's not stupidly unsubtle like most shows are. The going rate would be to have the home be excessively abusive and everyone to verbalise how stupid it is for a girl to play chess every other sentence. So it's notable and refreshing to see a show focus first on character, before letting the themes evolve more naturally.

It's well shot with some intricate editing. The jar heist was nicely done.

Plenty of time to feck it up but so far it doesn't seem like idiot fodder.

Laughed out loud at "cocksucker".

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yep. First two episodes could be fit in 5 minutes without losing a thing. Also:
The acting was mostly superb, only whoever cast that cowboy guy deserves to be shot- they did a good job I think to create the 60ies vibe.

But, storyline. How many pieces about chess, or, as a matter of fact, sports in the wider sense follow that?

"Young prodigy gets found by grumpy old man in basement, rises to fame against all odds, struggles with the past, the evil end boss appears, prodigy gets defeated, falls in depression, overcomes problems with help of (token minority) best friend to defeat the end boss and find true love, flowers, slow string music, curtain"

All of them?

Every single character with the exception of her mum was a 100% certified stereotype.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just finished this. Really great series. Very well put together. Feels like so much happened in just 7 episodes, without feeling rushed at all.

Anya Taylor-Joy was perfect for it. Quirky yet classy look to her really made the character.

Didn’t quite get the Benny character though. Seemed like he was portrayed as some sort of cool badass of the chess world, but he looked like a 14 year old with bumfluff dressed as Indiana Jones.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Didn’t quite get the Benny character though. Seemed like he was portrayed as some sort of cool badass of the chess world, but he looked like a 14 year old with bumfluff dressed as Indiana Jones.
I actually liked the juxtaposition of his character and his image. It made it interesting and it would have too obvious to make him a more traditional ‘badass’. It is the chess world, not the traditional home of the badass.

Volumiza

This show has culminated in me showing my Mrs how to play chess. I love chess so will be good to have someone to play against during all this stay at home stuff.

Tarrou

Just finished this. Really great series. Very well put together. Feels like so much happened in just 7 episodes, without feeling rushed at all.

Anya Taylor-Joy was perfect for it. Quirky yet classy look to her really made the character.

Yeah I found Benny a weird character, i think the actor was that little shit from Love Actually which made it even more weird

Sylar

Yeah I found Benny a weird character, i think the actor was that little shit from Love Actually which made it even more weird
I recognised him from GoT, and just remember Bran being a dick to him.

This show has culminated in me showing my Mrs how to play chess. I love chess so will be good to have someone to play against during all this stay at home stuff.
Yeah, my gf is now wanting me to teach her this.

Havak

Pokemon master
I have only watched the first episode so far, but I am going to be in a similar situation. My missus didn't know a thing about Chess bar white moves first and some of the piece names, but after watching the first episode with me she wants me to teach her how to play already :lol:

Love the show a lot straight away, obvious bias as I like Chess.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I actually liked the juxtaposition of his character and his image. It made it interesting and it would have too obvious to make him a more traditional ‘badass’. It is the chess world, not the traditional home of the badass.
Yeah that could be the angle!

parkthebuslads

Enjoying it so far. The main actress has a very familiar voice, it maybe sounds a little like Buffys:houllier:

Mani

Good One, I likes game chess so it made it easier.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This has made me want to get back into playing chess.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Bit hesitant watching this because of her character in peaky blinders but glad I out my prejudice aside and gave it a go. Thoroughly enjoyable and a definite recommend.

Not like certain limited series they have were its just background noise and you dip in and out of it, this one was entertaining, not gripping but it held the attention.

Heardy

Bit hesitant watching this because of her character in peaky blinders but glad I out my prejudice aside and gave it a go. Thoroughly enjoyable and a definite recommend.

Not like certain limited series they have were its just background noise and you dip in and out of it, this one was entertaining, not gripping but it held the attention.
I feel like a right tit - hadn’t realised she was Michael’s bird in peaky blinders!

Last edited:

DouLou

Been caught pooping
This has made me want to get back into playing chess.
I've been playing it loads this year and its so much fun. Learned as a kid but never played it much as an adult. There's so much depth to it!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've been playing it loads this year and its so much fun. Learned as a kid but never played it much as an adult. There's so much depth to it!
I took it seriously last year for a few months, memorising various openings etc and think I got to 1500-1600 rating, but I literally cannot recall anything I have learnt.. so will be like starting at the beginning again.

Suv666

Sign up on chess.com or lichess. Millions of players. I have restarted playing during the lockdown. Use to be decent when I was a kid, suck as an adult. You can use Youtube to learn. Quite a few excellent chess channels.

Suv666

The lead actress is brilliant. She's going to be a huge star.

Volumiza

Sign up on chess.com or lichess. Millions of players. I have restarted playing during the lockdown. Use to be decent when I was a kid, suck as an adult. You can use Youtube to learn. Quite a few excellent chess channels.
Cool. Already into a game on Chess.com