Television Queens Gambit -- Netflix

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I have a couple of episodes left, overall I think it's an enjoyable watch, but the main takeaway is how good an actress Ana Taylor-Joy is. She was already pretty great in The VVitch and Split, as well as her appearances in Peaky Blinders (though she didn't have that big an opportunity to shine in that if I recall correctly), but she's really wonderful in this, never too cliché in her portrayal of Beth.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I have a couple of episodes left, overall I think it's an enjoyable watch, but the main takeaway is how good an actress Ana Taylor-Joy is. She was already pretty great in The VVitch and Split, as well as her appearances in Peaky Blinders (though she didn't have that big an opportunity to shine in that if I recall correctly), but she's really wonderful in this, never too cliché in her portrayal of Beth.
She has to end up in a Wes Anderson film. She’s perfect for it.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Just finished it. I really enjoyed it. Although, as many of you, the russians chanting “Harmon, Harmon” was a bit too much. But all in all was a good and original show.
I give it 8 “detos”, over 10.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
That's where I recognise her from!!

Just finished it myself. Really enjoyable and uplifting watch.

Was totally digging the 60's vibe too. I bet she begged to keep that wardrobe.

Andersons Dietician

Read today this has broken some sort of Netflix record. Most viewed limited series Drama on Netflix having been viewed in 64million houses or something.

roseguy64

I really enjoyed it. They paced it quite well for only a 7 episode series, it didn’t feel rushed & equally didn’t drag on. Anya Taylor-Joy’s performance was superb.
Agreed. Felt like a balanced 10 episode set.

roseguy64

Why was the dialouge between 13 year old her and that Poe Dameron lookalike so sexual? They're trying to push a potential love interest onto a then 13 year old girl and expect us to root for him?

It was weird.
She was 15/16 in that scene

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve just finished episode 4 of this and I think it’s fantastic. It’s one of those shows that people have recommended to me for months but I just looked at it and didn’t fancy it but it’s great. Fantastic acting and they will have you rooting for her but at the same time I’m on edge because there’s a feeling of eventual demise. Let’s see what the rest has to hold.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Finished this tonight. Enjoyed it overall but the ending spoiled it a bit for me. Worth a watch though I suppose

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Finished this, really enjoyed it. I haven't the first notion about chess but this has tempted me into maybe trying it. Although at 32 it may be beyond me now.

I really liked the clichéd happy ending. I've had enough of bleak, grey endings in media recently and this was a pleasant surprise. After 4/5 episodes, I was expecting her to be a washed up druggie or dead.

Agree with everyone else on Anya Taylor-Joy, she's excellent. Oscars in her future.

AkaAkuma

I really enjoyed it, but it glosses over the trauma and drug dependance / withdrawal a person like that would experience.

Would have been a shittier show if they did, but just my 2 pence.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Finished this, really enjoyed it. I haven't the first notion about chess but this has tempted me into maybe trying it. Although at 32 it may be beyond me now.

I really liked the clichéd happy ending. I've had enough of bleak, grey endings in media recently and this was a pleasant surprise. After 4/5 episodes, I was expecting her to be a washed up druggie or dead.

Agree with everyone else on Anya Taylor-Joy, she's excellent. Oscars in her future.
Nawww my 40 year old friend learned just last year and is already pretty good. It's a hard game but if you fall in love with it then it's so rewarding

Eurotrash

Just finished the series and I found it pretty good. I especially liked the first and the last episode.

I have played in few (low level) chess tournaments so I know a bit about the history and the scene. There are some details that are not so accurate, but overall it is better than most depictions of chess in film. There are also some details that are spot-on (like the difference in the status of the game in US vs. Europe at the time).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's unlikely that you'll reach professional level, but you can start playing chess at pretty much any point.

Sylar

Depends what you want out of it.
Fun? Then do it, cos it's a cerebral fun game.
If you wanna enter tournaments to win.... Nah

Id suggest online playing v computers to get into it though

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Chess.com works well. Quick 5 min game you can play.

As long as you have the basic it's enjoyable. Eventually you'll lose enough point and you'll be matched with your equal.

That or a newbie computer will do.

Getting 1000 rating is easy. Beyond that it took something else.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chess is a superb game at any level. I just enjoy playing with my son on occasion. Just for fun

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Felt it was a bit like ‘The Natural’ for chess in some of the story arc, obviously without the star power. Good feel good series that should have far more liking it than being disappointed in it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Chess.com works well. Quick 5 min game you can play.

As long as you have the basic it's enjoyable. Eventually you'll lose enough point and you'll be matched with your equal.

That or a newbie computer will do.

Getting 1000 rating is easy. Beyond that it took something else.
I’m struggling to get 1000 rating, stuck at 950.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
1000 is meant to be easy? Started using chess.com the other day and plumeted down to 600ish and stayed there pretty reliably. And yeah, watching Queen's Gambit made me want to start playing again.

Is this going to become the chess.com thread?