Question about managers and the Premier League

padzilla

Hipster
Is the Premier League the only league, possibly in the world, that has never been won by a manager from the same country the league is based? England, in this case.

K Stand Knut

Eeerrrmmmmm…….. I think there was a top English division before the Premier League.

Pretty sure that was won by English manager

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
To be honest looking at just the Premier League is meaningless in this context, it was just a rebranding of the top flight.

Having said it, it would be interesting to see the longest run of consecutive seasons without a domestic manager as a winner, globally.

Chipper

Adulterer.
To be honest looking at just the Premier League is meaningless in this context, it was just a rebranding of the top flight.

Having said it, it would be interesting to see the longest run of consecutive seasons without a domestic manager as a winner, globally.
The uniqueness of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all having their own national teams and leagues but the people from said countries all qualifying for British passports/nationality and almost all speaking the same language has obviously played it's part too. Having said that, the expected biggest impact of that should be English managers in Scotland, Wales and N.I. rather than the other way around due to the population differences.

Anyway, I severely doubt any other league comes close to the Premier League in that regard, at least any major league. Perhaps a Middle Eastern league, or somewhere like Hong Kong or Singapore where they have a bit of money to hire overseas coaches might be somewhere to look at for a possible?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pep Guardiola is english. He listens to Oasis and gets wankered all the time.

padzilla

Hipster

Yes there is little doubt that was the case, but technically it was a new competition - especially given the old football league trophy used for the division one champions is still contested by teams in the Championship.

tomaldinho1

This is basically the thread in why English managers don’t win big trophies.

Think the main takeaway was there is now a crop of 35-45 year olds who look promising and you expect more to follow. Then you add in those who have done well in rare instances, someone like Howe, who took Bmouth up 3 or 4 divisions and established them as a PL mid table club, aren’t ever given a shot. Will be interesting to see if any bigger clubs hire Potter who seems a standout candidate right now.

MayfieldsFinest

In fairness in the last 40 years only 5 titles have been won by an English manager Paisley x2, Fagan, Kendall and Wilkinson. In that time Scots, French, Portuguese, Chilean, Spanish, Italian and German managers have won it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This is basically the thread in why English managers don’t win big trophies.

Think the main takeaway was there is now a crop of 35-45 year olds who look promising and you expect more to follow. Then you add in those who have done well in rare instances, someone like Howe, who took Bmouth up 3 or 4 divisions and established them as a PL mid table club, aren’t ever given a shot. Will be interesting to see if any bigger clubs hire Potter who seems a standout candidate right now.
The fact that Potter is the English stand out coach actually illustrates the problem.

tomaldinho1

The fact that Potter is the English stand out coach actually illustrates the problem.
Bit harsh. Went to Sweden, did incredibly well, then (as is not an ex big name player) went to Championship did well, now in PL doing well on a limited budget. He's 46 and started managing in Dec 2010. So basically managed for a decade with no freebies or lucky appointments and he's an established PL manager. Given my post was about managers now coming through, not really sure what more you'd expect him to have achieved when you think of the clubs he's been at?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bit harsh. Went to Sweden, did incredibly well, then (as is not an ex big name player) went to Championship did well, now in PL doing well on a limited budget. He's 46 and started managing in Dec 2010. So basically managed for a decade with no freebies or lucky appointments and he's an established PL manager. Given my post was about managers now coming through, not really sure what more you'd expect him to have achieved when you think of the clubs he's been at?
Not necessarily harsh. Depends on what was meant by the "problem". Perhaps the problem is that someone like Potter has or had no realistic faster way to develop his career and that 10 years in the best he can hope for is a lower table/weaker financially PL club?

Edit: Who knows though, perhaps they were just saying Potter/English coaches are crap?

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
What do.ob said and what you said are different. He commented on a general trend and added his thought to it, and you just produced the CV of the manager.

tomaldinho1

What do.ob said and what you said are different. He commented on a general trend and added his thought to it, and you just produced the CV of the manager.
My point is there look to be now some good guys coming through as historically English managers haven't been great or don't seem to get a chance, then I highlighted Potter as someone good who has come through. @do.ob response was Potter being the best candidate illustrates the issue. That doesn't particularly make sense unless he doesn't rate him in the context here.

Had I claimed Potter to be a top ready made elite manager right now, the reply would have made sense but it seems a strange response when you think the entire post was about younger managers with potential. Again, unless he thinks Potter is rubbish.

Not necessarily harsh. Depends on what was meant by the "problem". Perhaps the problem is that someone like Potter has or had no realistic faster way to develop his career and that 10 years in the best he can hope for is a lower table/weaker financially PL club?

Edit: Who knows though, perhaps they were just saying Potter/English coaches are crap?
100%, his resume is more impressive than Arteta, Lampard and Ole and yet they are ex-players and get seats at Arsenal, Chelsea and United and he goes to Swansea...I do think English managers should continue to go abroad through, one big issue for the lack of top flight English managers is it will be much harder to manage in Spain, Italy, Portugal without speaking the language to a decent level. Bundesliga would have been a great place to pick up experience for our coaches but their production line from Hennes looks far superior to what we have. I know Pearson tried Belgium, McLaren tried Netherlands, Moyes obviously went to Sociedad but I can't really think of anyone recently who has done well.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
My point is there look to be now some good guys coming through as historically English managers haven't been great or don't seem to get a chance, then I highlighted Potter as someone good who has come through. @do.ob response was Potter being the best candidate illustrates the issue. That doesn't particularly make sense unless he doesn't rate him in the context here.

Had I claimed Potter to be a top ready made elite manager right now, the reply would have made sense but it seems a strange response when you think the entire post was about younger managers with potential. Again, unless he thinks Potter is rubbish.
I think for most big football nations doing sort of well on a small budget makes you a run of the mill decent coach.
If that attribute makes Potter the chosen one, then it illustrates how far behind English coaches still are. And it also shows a disconnect between reality and the expectation that big clubs should hire English coaches.

tomaldinho1

I think for most big football nations doing sort of well on a small budget makes you a run of the mill decent coach.
If that attribute makes Potter the chosen one, then it illustrates how far behind English coaches still are. And it also shows a disconnect between reality and the expectation that big clubs should hire English coaches.
Strange reply again. No one is suggesting he is the 'chosen one'

Oranges038

Potter is apparently the best in the league right now but he finished behind Hodgson, Smith and Bruce last season and only got 2 more points than Dyche.

It's probably because, as English football has gained more global appeal and attracted more players from around the world. Clubs have looked for managers from other countries to manage those players because the quality of English managers at in the last 30 years is extremely poor.

K Stand Knut

I never said there wasn't.
Oh. Sorry. Your question sounded like the ‘record’ only mattered because it hasn’t happened in the Premier League yet.

A bit like Salah’s record from Sunday.

Utterly pointless if you ask me because to ask it disregards any records set pre-1992

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Even before the premiere league was formed there were Scottish managers in Graham and Dalglish hoovering up a lot of the league titles. Think Howard Wilkinson was the only English manager to win a league title around the mid 80’s to early 90’s. Last English manager to win the top division as well.
It is a bit odd that someone from the actual country hasn’t won the top division as manager for 30 years.