Question Time & This Week

Kag

That was a reasonably grown up show compared to the circus it's been in recent weeks. The panel weren't frothing at the mouth and actually listened to what eachother had to say. The audience members weren't all raging feckwits either.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Panellist: "We need to have an adult discussion about the NHS."

Response from audience: Shout her downa nd behave like children.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Also found Andy Burnham quite insufferable, with his 'look at me, wasn't i brilliant in government' egotism. The way he was carrying on about his time as Health Secretary you'd think that the Mid Staffs scandal didn't partly fall on his watch.

Only heard the last quarter hour, so maybe the Carilion discussion was more productive.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It would help if she didn't insult their intelligence.
Look, the nurses had a point but so did she. Very few in that audience wanted to hear about they could do to help reduce demand, they'd turned into a rabble.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Is there any reason last night's episode isn't available on iPlayer? I thought maybe an incident had happened which meant they'd had to take it down, but it's sounds like the usual malarkey.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Because they know what the panelist really means is 'we need cuts in the NHS'
I guess you completely ignored those moment where she said that the NHS should get mroe money.

We can find money for higher pay, we can increase our training capacity for nurses and make their lives easier, however a good portion of the overcrowding problem falls on us as individuals. Frivolous visits to either the GP surgery or A&E are well beyond a minor inconvenience, particularly now. Favouring our own social lives over the short-term care of loved ones at home, that counts too. For even were there a willing government, rerversing Labour's and the ConLib closures of convalescent hospitals will take years. There is personal responsibility not only in the form of further taxation, but one's behaviour.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I guess you completely ignored those moment where she said that the NHS should get mroe money.

We can find money for higher pay, we can increase our training capacity for nurses and make their lives easier, however a good portion of the overcrowding problem falls on us as individuals. Frivolous visits to either the GP surgery or A&E are well beyond a minor inconvenience, particularly now. Favouring our own social lives over the short-term care of loved ones at home, that counts too. For even were there a willing government, rerversing Labour's and the ConLib closures of convalescent hospitals will take years. There is personal responsibility not only in the form of further taxation, but one's behaviour.
This is fair...but the problem is that it doesn't actually do anything to fix the problem. I get what you're saying. It'd be ideal if people weren't having to go to A & E because they got too pissed on a night out. Or because they're obese and have poor health habits. Or because they just have a tendency of visiting their GP for frivolous and unnecessary reasons. But it's ultimately little more than a wish and isn't going to address the problem itself.

Phrases like "We need to have an adult discussion about the NHS" might sound well-reasoned and balanced but the problem is they've been used so often to the point where they don't really mean anything. It's essentially another buzzword phrase, one a panelist uses when they know there's problems within the NHS, believe the solutions aren't simple...but don't really have anything themselves to add to the discussion. Which is fair enough...healthcare's incredibly complex with all the various departments, regions etc, and problems which exist can't be solved in one swoop. But "We need to have an adult discussion," doesn't really mean anything at this point unless the person in question defines what that adult conversation entails.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

Like I said in the winter crises thread, just enough money to keep people voting Tory, not enough to actually fund the service

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Given that neither she nor I have spoken in favour of these mythical cuts of yours, are you disputing her point about demand or not?
Of for goodness sake, are you really naive enough to believe the Tory lies about record levels of funding? They've been strip mining the NHS ever since Hunt took over, exactly as everyone who knew anything about that wretched toad knew they would. They're undercutting the service at every opportunity so they can privatize it, exactly like Hunt has always wanted (and used to have enough balls to openly admit). Of course now he's 'running' the thing, he has to lie and do everything underhandedly, because it spits in the face of what the British people actually want.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Given that neither she nor I have spoken in favour of these mythical cuts of yours, are you disputing her point about demand or not?
Tories aren't going to come out and say let's cut the NHS, they are far too cowardly to do it themselves, the following model is used

To much fanfare central government says they are giving power to local authorities to spend money on a thing, whether that be local government, CCG in the case of the NHS, or police etc.

Central government sets funding, but at a level that can't pay for everything. And before you carry on treating people like idiots funding has gone up but under the cost of inflation, so it's a cut.

These local bodies find they are responsible for implementing this service but haven't got the money to pay for it properly, so they make cuts.

When people complain to Westminster they turn around and say 'we are not in charge, it's the local bodies fault, we give them plenty of money, look at that Romanian over there'

Old people continue to vote Tory, as in their minds, on the balance of all probabilities, yes, it is Romanians fault

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
When you two have finished auditioning for Labour's new interactive Jeremy Corbyn action figure, maybe we can have a discussion.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When you two have finished auditioning for Labour's new interactive Jeremy Corbyn action figure, maybe we can have a discussion.
You could start by addressing Mozza’s points rather than resorting to insults. Didn’t you just ridicule the audience for failing to take part in the requested adult conversation?

Whether you agree with him or not is beside the point, he’s constructed an argument and your response to it is telling.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/07/vital-nhs-account-acos-legal-challenge

Here comes more localisation, the telling quote is here -

999 Call claims that ACOs are “unlawful under current NHS legislation … because the new ACO contract does not link payment to the number of patients treated and/or the complexity of the medical treatment provided, as required by the 2012 Health and Social Care Act, but is based on a fixed budget for an area’s population.”

Central government sets budget, local body, ACO in this case, makes the cuts. Nick will pretend it's not happening

NinjaFletch

You could start by addressing Mozza’s points rather than resorting to insults. Didn’t you just ridicule the audience for failing to take part in the requested adult conversation?

Whether you agree with him or not is beside the point, he’s constructed an argument and your response to it is telling.
I think Brexit has broken Nick.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

Where's the insult, he freely admits to believing in an NHS conspiracy theory (as do many on this forum in my experrience). More pertinent though, is that both the panellist and I raised the crucial element of demand, which Mozza complete ignored in his responses to me. I am more than happy to talk 'with' people, however Mozza had ceased to doing so.

We've seen hospital closures, cut facilities and a reduced number of beds from every government in my lifetime. Even if there were the money being spent you can't undo many of those things quickly. Unless the public are more responsible, the most optimisitc outlook for next winter might be that we have slightly better paid, but nonetheless exhausted nurses. Patients can't claim to 'love the NHS' on the one hand, whilst making life harder for its medical staff on the other.

Last edited:

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
That's fine. I might be heading into town to see what this Lumiere festival is like, weather permitting.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Where's the insult, he freely admits to believing in an NHS conspiracy theory (as do many on this forum in my experrience). More pertinent though, is that both the panellist and I raised the crucial element of demand, which Mozza complete ignored in his responses to me. I am more than happy to talk 'with' people, however Mozza had ceased to doing so.

We've seen hospital closures, cut facilities and a reduced number of beds from every government in my lifetime. Even if there were the money being spent you can't undo many of those things quickly. Unless the public are more responsible, the most optimisitc outlook for next winter might be that we have slightly better paid, but nonetheless exhausted nurses. Patients can't claim to 'love the NHS' on the one hand, whilst making life harder for its medical staff on the other.
Nothing to say on the article I posted? Nah it's all a conspiracy.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It's stopped raining at least. Let me know how it is if you go. Does look pretty cool.
Sorry Jip, we went to a local gastropub instead. :) I'd like to hope that it returns next year, although i'd move it to the spring were i City Hall (less flu and the like).

Nothing to say on the article I posted? Nah it's all a conspiracy.
I hadn't read it at that point. Having now done so, i don't think that it is evidence of a Tory Illuminati if that's what you're asking. However...the basis for a legal challenge appears fairly strong. I doubt whether many MPs are even aware of the details (of any hue), which is reason enough in itself. The Government inherited a major problem with PFI there's no denying that, but let's not create another one to pass on because Hunt and some mandarins within the NHS are floundering for quick fixes. The expansive nature of their brief and lack of proper oversight are two concerns that both red and blue backbenchers would share.

Last edited:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
It’s ridiculous for Tories to advocate they’re putting record funding in the NHS while cutting social care and forcing the elderly to rely on the NHS instead.

Classic Tory move, never give what you haven’t taken away already.