Questions ahead of United v Everton game

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
An Everton fan in the newbies has asked to post this in the mains, please help out if possible:

I come in peace :)

Just asking some questions about United, Everton and your game against us Toffee men on Sunday for The Everton Forum

So...

What do you make of your season so far? Are you surprised with your 9 point lead over your dear rivals?

There are always certain players in teams that always get all the media praise and this season you can't look any further than Van Persie. United fans have seen many a great striker in their time, so how highly do you rate Van Persie comparing him with those greats?

Are there any players that haven't been getting the praise they deserve from the media and even your own fan base this season?

Are you now expecting any late charge for the title from City, or do you think you'll maintain this healthy lead and storm to a 20th league title?

Last season's game was one of, if not the game of the season. Can you see the game going a similar way again?

Barring the obvious goal threats from RVP and Rooney, who do you think the Everton side need to be most fearful of during Sunday afternoons game?

There's no point in asking you what you make of the job Sir Alex has done because he's clearly the greatest there has been. You'd have to think though that his time was coming to an end in the near future. Is there a clear favourite as to who your fan base would like to see take the job in the future?

Moving on to Everton...

How do you think we have fared this season?

Who do you think will be the biggest threat to your United team in the upcoming game?

What is your opinion of David Moyes and what do you make of the job he has done for Everton?

Where do you think us Toffee's will finish come the end of the season?

Finally, predictions for the game?

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'll take these two:

Are you surprised with your 9 point lead over your dear rivals?
I'm actually NOT surprised with our 9 point lead over City in early February. We significantly strengthened the squad over the summer (RvP and Kagawa) while City didn't much of anything to strengthen their squad. The pain of relinquishing the trophy last season was never going to be forgotten.

Are there any players that haven't been getting the praise they deserve from the media and even your own fan base this season?
De Gea, although I would distinguish the media from the fan base. The fans have been, well, fantastic in supporting De Gea. The media...nuff said.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Who do you think will be the biggest threat to your United team in the upcoming game?
Fellaini is always is, really seems to be a game raiser IMO, average against average teams...

What is your opinion of David Moyes and what do you make of the job he has done for Everton?
Me personally, I would take Moyes over any British Manager, he has done a great job at Everton, subsided slightly season before last when you finished lower than usual, but over his tenure has made Everton a strong side IMO without going crazy and making a model that won't last, he has kept everything well organised.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
What do you make of your season so far? Are you surprised with your 9 point lead over your dear rivals?

Been the most entertaining season in a long while, we haven't been perfect but I do think we've been a little bit better than we've got credit for. City have been average, Chelsea started brilliantly but now have an inept manager. We've been the best team in the league thus far, so a nine point gap doesn't surprise me currently, I also don't see the gap staying that big.

There are always certain players in teams that always get all the media praise and this season you can't look any further than Van Persie. United fans have seen many a great striker in their time, so how highly do you rate Van Persie comparing him with those greats?

If we win the league he'll go down with the likes of van Nistelrooy and Rooney in my opinion. Mainly because we haven't had a player, since Ronaldo, to be so important in our hunt for trophies.

David de Gea.
Also, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, and Rafael have all had very strong seasons. Carrick has recently been getting praise.

Are you now expecting any late charge for the title from City, or do you think you'll maintain this healthy lead and storm to a 20th league title?

City will come back fighting, the gap won't stay at nine points, if we do win the league it'll be a lot tighter.

Last season's game was one of, if not the game of the season. Can you see the game going a similar way again?

Nope, Ferguson will make sure the players will have learned from last seasons mistakes and won't allow a repeat, hopefully... Having said that most of our games have had a lot of goals in them this season...

Barring the obvious goal threats from RVP and Rooney, who do you think the Everton side need to be most fearful of during Sunday afternoons game?

Carrick in the centre, if you don't deal with him he'll happily spray the ball around. I reckon Chicharito will start ahead of van Persie too, with Madrid coming up.

There's no point in asking you what you make of the job Sir Alex has done because he's clearly the greatest there has been. You'd have to think though that his time was coming to an end in the near future. Is there a clear favourite as to who your fan base would like to see take the job in the future?

Klopp is a bit of a favourite on here. You've fans who want Mourinho, you've fans who want Guardiola when he's done with Bayern. Even Moyes has been mentioned...

Moving on to Everton...

Best team in Merseyside. :D
Moyes has built a great team with what is at his disposal. Come the last few months your players could tire though due to lack of depth in the squad, drawing games has cost you a bit but at the moment you're looking good for a strong league finish.

Microphone head. :(

Excellent job, he's probably taken Everton as far as he can though. It would be interesting to see how Everton would get on with a manager with Champions League experience.

Between seventh and tenth. Hopefully ahead of your Merseyside neighbours.

2-1 United.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm not sure if De Gea deserves praise neccesarily... it's more that he hasn't deserved to be lambasted at every turn.

For me, Cleverley has been our unsung hero this season. He's been largely fantastic alongside Carrick throughout the season.

PatrickP

I'm not sure if De Gea deserves praise neccesarily... it's more that he hasn't deserved to be lambasted at every turn.

For me, Cleverley has been our unsung hero this season. He's been largely fantastic alongside Carrick throughout the season.
I mention Cleverley as having played really well to a non-United fan and they pretty much laugh in my face

KiD MoYeS

de Gea deserves praise for a number of reasons, he's got us a few results this season, without praise. And the fact he's been playing under such ridiculously heavy criticism is another reason he deserves some praise.

Scholesgoals

An Everton fan in the newbies has asked to post this in the mains, please help out if possible:
I come in peace

Just asking some questions about United, Everton and your game against us Toffee men on Sunday for The Everton Forum

So...

I think that while we have definitely strengthened our team compared to last year, it certainly is surprising that we're out in front despite periods of poor defending and having an unsettled team. I think the major factor in this has been how poor the other title challengers have been. Chelsea's woes have been well documented, Arsenal are almost a non entity these days and only City have been really challenging. Normally you'd have more than one other team in the race to pick up the slack if one drops off... so i guess it makes sense

He's certainly had a fantastic start to his united career! It's probably too early to say how he rates against other strikers we've had, but his skillset is definitely something to be admired. I think the player he most resembles is Cantona, as he has a certain gravitas about him, he's prone to random acts of sheer brilliance, two footed and relatively good in the air. It's too early to say much more than that, although if we do go on to win it, he'll have played an integral part.

It's hard to say who hasnt been noticed, but particular stand out performers for us this season have been Carrick and Evra, the two have formed part of united's spine with composed and incisive passing from Carrick and bizarrely a serious goal threat from Evra. Evra has improved his form dramatically over the latter part of last season and into this one, such that he's almost at his 07/09 best. I've also enjoyed contributions from Cleverly and Hernandez this year

Hopefully we learnt our lesson from last year. United do have a terrible habit of making things difficult for ourselves so i'd expect us to give City a sniff before the season comes to an end. We'll probably drop a couple of silly home points somewhere. City however need to put together a great run of form to catch us, which although it certainly isnt beyond them, they seem to lack the hunger of last year.

Yes, we do terribly against teams that are "up for it" and Everton always are against us, we'll also have one eye on the madrid game, so expect to see some changes

I get the feeling that we will rotate in this one as it's a home game - don't be surprised to see Hernandez playing as he's both due a game and he will enjoy running off your defenders if you employ a heavy pressing game. I think we might also see Giggs play, who has demonstrated good form in the last few months. Your main threat for tomorrow however will probably be patrice evra as he is now a prolific goalscorer for the side :p

The fans largely want either mou or pep. I must admit i havent made up my mind on pep yet as he inherited an incredibly good team in barcelona and left under questionable circumstances. In terms of the pressure involved i cant see past mourinho. It has to be him really.

There's been quite a bit of talk around Moyes for the job interestingly, it would be good to hear everton fan's opinions on that!

Moving on to Everton...

You've managed to avoid the early season blip you normally get yourselves into, i think you've got a strong enough team to cause problems for any team in the league on your day. I certainly hope you kick on, I like Everton

I dont think we can look past fellaini to be honest, he caused us all sorts of problems in the earlier game and i cant see this changing. Baines might cause us some problems also.

I think he's been exceptional considering the funds he's had available, many shrewd buys in osman, pienarr, baines, fellaini, cahill etc. He's done a great job in keeping you competitive. Question remains if he can do it for a bigger club (no disrespect as Everton are a big club themselves"

5th/6th I think Spurs and Arsenal will be too much again

2-1 United, Everton score first
Thanks

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Surprised by 9 point gap?
No, we had a big lead last season too and only lost out on GD. Everyone forgets the fact that we missed out because Aguero scored with practically the last kick of the season.
United have strengthed, City have been hit with the 2nd season syndrome. According to Fergie its harder to keep hold of the trophy than it is to win it as everyone raises their game against the Champions. It remains to be seen whether their players can handle that.

In terms of Everton, Moyes has done a great job with limited resources. But so have the board for sticking with him long term rather than changing every few years. The question would be how would he be with a bigger budget?

Your best player? Baines for me. Mr consistency. Very underated by others. Reminds me of Denis Irwin.

I have a sneaking suspicion of a draw. We just cant handle the big men. Thats not a criticism of the current defenders, even Bruce and Pallister used to struggle big time against Duncan Ferguson and Paul Rideout

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Mirallas is a good player for them if he can stay injury free!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
de Gea deserves praise for a number of reasons, he's got us a few results this season, without praise. And the fact he's been playing under such ridiculously heavy criticism is another reason he deserves some praise.
Look at it this way, if De Gea wasn't criticised at all, I don't think many people would really be screaming "Why isn't anyone saying how fantastic De Gea is doing?!"

He's been good/solid this season... and like all of our defenders, thrown in a moment or two here and there, but I wouldn't say he's been one of our players of the season or anything.

blitz133w

Excellent season. We have certainly showed how to bounce back from a goal or two behind. There was not a single match when we gave up on a game. There were certain games in which we could have done better but looking at the table i have no issues. 9 point lead is actually surprising. I would never have believed it if someone said this to me before the season started.

His impact has been compared to Eric Cantona which says a lot. His every touch is magnificent and he can conjure goals out of nowhere. Apart from the goals, he's brilliant at taking corners and defending corners as well. Clearly one of the best strikers in the world. If he manages to do things he did this season for 3 more years, his legendary status will be cemented

I Don't care about the media. They only like to talk about stuff that would benefit them. Apart from Rvp and Rooney, i doubt they recognize anyone's contributions. Fans are starting to recognize Evra's better performances which is good. Kagawa may be the only player who I want more people to praise.

It's almost impossible to maintain the same lead till the end of the season. I expect us to drop points and expect the lead to cut short. City will definitely fight till the end. Specially after last seasons disaster

I think there is a good probability of the same thing happening again this time. Because of the crucial Champions league game after 3 days, SAF will rest some of the important players. I don't mind us dropping points for this game at all

Evra

Mourinho seems to be the general favourite even with Pep in the mix. But now that Pep's gone to bayern, there's probably just one option.

Moving on to Everton...

They have done good as usual but i think Everton fans would want more. it's going to be a difficult time with tottenham spending and getting quality players and there's also Arsenal who are the 4th spot champions. Things have gotten very competitive for the 4th

Is that even a question? Fellaini

Top manager. But am skeptical if he can cut it in the premier European teams. But with the budget he has and the job he's done at everton, he deserves a chance at any good European club

5th or 6th

I suck at predictions. So am skipping this

KiD MoYeS

Look at it this way, if De Gea wasn't criticised at all, I don't think many people would really be screaming "Why isn't anyone saying how fantastic De Gea is doing?!"

He's been good/solid this season... and like all of our defenders, thrown in a moment or two here and there, but I wouldn't say he's been one of our players of the season or anything.
I agree with you, he hasn't been one of our performers of the season. Maybe, I just get frustrated at the medias lack of praise for him when he clearly deserves it. Fulham was a prime example of that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I believe there are rumours Fellaini may be out for this one. Will be a huge boost if true.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

9 points with this many games to go doesn't really feel that much to me. It could easily be 6 after the weekend. We've been ahead by around this much before and lost and we've been behind much worse than this and won. I'm not surprised we've won so many games though as I feel our squad is absolutely awesome at the moment, one of the best we've ever had and most of them are having good seasons.

It is like having a cheat code turned on. It really is fantastic.

I think most of them. There is a tendency from some people to label our team as one of the worst United teams ever, but I think (wingers apart) most have been fantastic this year. Getting used to a slightly new system with new people playing new roles means we have conceeded way too many, but I think that's calmed down in recent weeks.

Rafael, Cleverley, Anderson, de Gea, Evans and Young have all done well this year I feel though, and you won't hear that from many other fans.

Oh there's a long way to go yet. I'm not even that confident.

Games of the season? It's probably the most distraught I've ever been after a game. I sat there alone (My Dad had already fecked off) just thinking of how we were going to feck it up. Bah. I don't think and I hope it doesn't go the same way again.

Realistically Carrick.
In my dreams a resurgent Nani

Not Mourinho for me. I don't think he represents what I want my club to be. Moyes could be alright. I'd love someone like Blanc and Ole to move up a level...

Moving on to Everton...

Well. But, I think you have a hard fixture list. Would like you to get fourth. It's a shame Jelavic has been poor!

I don't really know. Even Anichebe has grabbed a few recently hasn't he? Baines is obviously a threat. Gibbo will probably scream one in.

Fantastic manager. Feel bad for Everton. I just don't think what you have now is sustainable without investment. Moyes has done really well with the resources he has.

Unfortunately 6th

3-1 United.

NinjaFletch

Yes and no. We added some good players and have the best squad in the league. Van Persie coming in and hitting the ground running has been a massive bonus and really given us an edge, but at the same time we've had so many injuries to defensive players and to the likes of Rooney, Kagawa and Nani and haven't really ever played that well this season that to have as many points as we do have is astonishing.

In terms of ability he's right up there, Rooney will probably retire as United's greatest goal scorer ever but there's a sense that despite how important Rooney is to us Van Persie is the better player, and that speaks volumes about his ability.

De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Hernandez

All for varying reasons, De Gea gets some of the most undeserved criticism I've ever seen. Rafael and Evans have been largely excellent and Hernandez has a frightening goals to minutes ratio and has massively improved the rest of his game, as well.

It will get tight, we have more to compete for than them and some tough games. You're bound to drop points in the run in, and last season showed that they're good enough to pick up on mistakes.

Nope, tbh, we were so naïve that day and similarly so good going forward. I can't see us being as good or as bad at both ends of the pitch again and would expect a far more normal game as a result.

I don't think RVP will play, but I'm going to go for Kagawa and Carrick. Carrick runs our team and if you don't shut him down he will control the game, if you do close him down quickly we're going to really struggle. Kagawa is a brilliant little player and he's really starting to find his feet, we play much better football with him around.

I wouldn't say so no, every one has their personal favourites. Mourinho, Moyes, Guardiola and Solskjear seem the most likely but someone like Klopp could be in with a shout as well. For my money, only Mourinho has the ego to succeed Ferguson and a 3 year stint from him would ease a transition to a manager who will establish a legacy here like Moyes or possibly Solskjear

Moving on to Everton...

Well, from the first game of the season where you beat us I always thought you'd do well. If you can get consistency and Jelavic scoring goals again I don't see why a tilt at the Champion's League spots should be out of the question.

Fellaini is the obvious one, and it's a huge boost for us if his injury turns out to be anything more than avoiding the friendly games. Gibson seems to be doing a crucial job for you though, and your record with him in the team as opposed to out of it suggests he's a player we need to be wary of.

Excellently, if he'd have had the financial backing he could definitely have taken this team further.

Anything but a European place would seem like a failure, outside chance of top 4 if everything falls into place.

Real chance of an upset here, if I were a betting man I would say United to win a cagey game 2-1.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Has been an entertaining season to say the least! We haven't been consistently as good as I think we can be, but have shown glimpses of it. I'm not overly surprised that we're leading City, but the 9 point gap is surprising. We strengthened in Summer with RVP and Kagawa, while players like Cleverley and Rafael were another year older and more mature, while City made some poor signings and didn't strengthen their first XI.

If we win the league this season, and if he ends up as top scorer, he'll be right up there. He needs another season of this form though to be considered on a level par with those imo.

From the media: Cleverley. DDG has recieved a lot of unwarranted criticism too.

From the fanbase: Not really. Maybe Ferdinand, but thats more because we expect him to be one of the best each game.

They'll come back. They badly need to beat us at OT, and if they manage that, there will be 76 points in it, with pressure on us. They can play without pressure now. It certainly isn't over.

No. It better not anyway! We'll hopefully be tighter and more focused.

Goals have been coming from all over this season, so even if those two fail to score, someone else will benefit from the attention being on Rooney and RVP. Nani could be a good shout for a goal if he starts.

Not really. Some want Mourinho, some want Guardiola, some want Klopp, some want Moyes. I'd personally love Klopp to be given a shot, and the idea of Moyes has kinda grown on me over the last few months, but right now I don't think I'd take him. However, a lot can change between now and when SAF does leave, so maybe then there'll be a new flavour of the month manager!

Moving on to Everton...

Very good. Must be frustrating for yous to have thrown away the amount of leads yous had earlier in the season. It's not a huge squad though and yous could struggle if a key player or two gets injured in the run in.

Fellaini.

Has done a very good job. Not sure how he'd do with a bigger budget/ at a bigger club though. It would be interesting for Everton if he were to leave, as if they could attract a manager with CL experience, they could maybe move up a level along side Spurs and the likes.

5th/6th.

3-1 United.

I like this idea for a thread.

Revan

Assumptionman

Yes. I had expected that we will win the title but I never dream that we will lead by 9 points at this stage of the season.

Van Persie has really been great. For me his form in this season (if it does continue) is quite there with Ronaldo 2007-2008 season and better than Ruud.

David De Gea and Rafael Da Silva. Our keeper has been great this season but he is being treated by media like he is a flop while Rafael undoubtedly has been the best right back in Premier League this season but many journos have yet to see this.

I will celebrate when the title is mathematically secure.

I have a feeling that we will not see many goals in this game (unlike last year in OT or 3-3 draw in GP some years ago).

Javier Hernandez if he plays.

Personally I would like Jose Mourinho but there are many other good options like Guardiola or Klopp.

Surprisingly well.

Fellaini. He always raises his game against us and is always an aerial threat.

One of the best managers in England and probably the second best British manager in Premier League. He has done an excellent job with Everton now for a decade in a very limited budget.

I think that Champions League is out of reach but there is a good chance that you will go in Europa League. My bet is that you will finish in sixth position.

2-1 for United.

Brightonian

What do you make of your season so far? Are you surprised with your 9 point lead over your dear rivals? Not really, no. Too many of City's key players have dropped a level since last season. Tevez isn't as effective, Aguero doesn't look as dangerous, Toure has perhaps had the most dramatic loss of form. Silva has recovered from his post-January slump of last season, but not risen back to the heights he briefly achieved. We, meanwhile, have added strength both in the form of an instant star, RVP, and a bedder-in, Kagawa, who is starting to look really good since recovering from injury. If anything, we spent the first third of the season underperforming, and it's only now that we're showing signs of the sort of form that on paper this squad ought to be able to produce.

Are there any players that haven't been getting the praise they deserve from the media and even your own fan base this season? I actually think the De Gea witch-hunt has died down a bit since last season, but he still gets undeserved criticism. Cleverley is utterly unappreciated outside of the club, which is irritating when you consider some of the midfielders he's comfortably outplayed this season. Notably Wilshere, who is rightly considered 'world class', whilst Cleverley remains, to everyone outside of the United fan base, 'neat and tidy'.

Are you now expecting any late charge for the title from City, or do you think you'll maintain this healthy lead and storm to a 20th league title? City will definitely end the season closer to us than they are now. They're out of form, and I don't see that continuing until the end of the season. Their run-in is slightly harder on paper, but we have Chelsea, Arsenal and City all within a fairly short space of time, and I see us tripping up a bit there. Especially if we're still in other competitions. That said, I trust Fergie to see us over the line better than last time.

Last season's game was one of, if not the game of the season. Can you see the game going a similar way again? Hard to say. In recent games between the two clubs, the mood seems to be one of determination to do just that bit more than the opposition. Sometimes that results in a cagey, hard-fought affair decided by a goal of pure willpower near the end, and sometimes it leads to a back-and-forth goal-fest like the 4-4. Whatever type of game it turns into, it'll be close.

Barring the obvious goal threats from RVP and Rooney, who do you think the Everton side need to be most fearful of during Sunday afternoons game? Evra, obviously. An entire career of never scoring any goals has just been a cunning ruse leaving opponents unprepared for the Unmarkable Diagonal Run Francaise™ at set pieces. More seriously, I think Hernandez will start over RVP, and he's been on lightning form for most of the season. How you deal with Carrick will determine a lot about the match though, as his excellent form since the start of the winter period has been the driving force behind United's excellent form. He's playing the best football of his career at the moment.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I assume that is a good thing. Right?
No, it said you can only read a certain number of posts, and then you have to sign up if you want to read more.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Some forums are like that, having that feature so you get a 'taster' of what the forum is like then if you want to read more you join. It is done to try and encourage more to sign up but I prefer forums that just let you read what you want with no real pressure on you to sign up.

Cina

Well if they did that here and the 20 posts they saw were from The Neviller then I doubt they'd be too interested.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Not especially, I expected us to do better this season (and we were already not too bad last year except in the final run-in), and City didn't really strengthen. However I'm surprised no one is closer, I expected Chelsea, if not to challenge, at least to stay in touching distance. Thanks Benitez.

As a pure center forward, he's up with the best. I don't like really comparing players too much, there's always a question of context, of the way the game is played at certain periods, etc., it's too complicated. What I will say though is that despite our team and squad being very strong before his arrival, he's taken us an extra step. Sensational player, and I admit this through gritted teeth because prior to his arrival, I underrated him terribly.

De Gea and Cleverley, and to a lesser extent Carrick. De Gea because he's getting unfair criticism (from the media) despite a very good season, Cleverley because he's been neat and tidy in midfield. Nothing eye-catching or exceptional, just very efficient alongside Carrick. They've kept the team ticking. I say Carrick to a lesser extent because I think this year in the media there has been some nice coverage of the work he's accomplishing within the team. Finally.

After last season's disillusion, we should be careful. However, I feel more confident this season, because I don't feel the same strength, the same feeling of invulnerability from City. However I don't think anyone can say we'll storm to the title yet, a bad spell of form, some unlucky games, injuries to major players and it could all fade pretty quickly. But sure, I'd rather be in our position now than City's, and I'm confident we won't get complacent like we did last season.

I hope not, I was furious after that game! Though it was good for entertainment, it's horrible memories for any Utd fan, the turning point for our title charge. Any result won't have the same significance this weekend though, but I doubt we'll see such an open game. Also, the pitch at OT is dreadful and doesn't help fluid attacking football.

The OT pitch, or you'll be going home with players injured! :lol:

I have a soft spot for Guardiola who would fit in well with the club. I think if SAF stays on a few more seasons, and Guardiola does well at Bayern, maybe it could happen...

Moving on to Everton...

Well you're the best team in Liverpool, which is the best compliment you'd take isn't it? I like your team and the spirit with which you play. I think you're still just a little bit short of quality to reach for a top 4 spot this year, but 5th spot, if you keep up the good work, would be a great achievment.

Fellaini cos I don't like the way he plays against us (spending his time flapping his arms around and not getting booked), and Baines for the free kicks and corners.

Brilliant. One of my favourite managers in the league. How he'd fare at a top club is impossible to say (this is no disrespect to Everton by the way, I just mean at a club where trophies are expected every year), but what he's done with Everton, on a pretty consistent basis over the last few years, is nothing short of spectacular given the financial strain he's under.

As I said above, 5th doesn't seem implausible. 6th would be the lowest I'd see you finish.

3-0 to Utd, but I'm crap at predictions anyway! :lol:

Red_Aaron

I come in peace

So...

on the face of it 9pts is more than you'd expect but we've gone all out for wins in practically every game this year, city haven't lost many games but will often see out draws whereas we'll be going for it. those extra points are a reflection of our approach this year, comparable to other teams imo

its a case of right place (for him) and right time (for us). RVP has been a top player for years now but always struggled with injury and/or inferior teammates. He now (touch wood) has his fitness under control and has players around him that can compliment his ability, theres also a real hunger about him, he can smell the trophies and is up for the fight. his hold up play and strength is like hughsie whilst his touch and finishing are similar to the kings. he's a dream of a footballer

Rafael continues to be labelled as a poor defender, 'headless' 'dives in' blah blah blah. its nonsense and proves just how little attention these media types actually pay to anyone outside of the big names. Jonny Evans has been our best CB too, given his company includes Rio and Vidic that says a lot

I've no doubt the gap will close but more down to our CL exploits than anything else. I dont see the same fight in city as last year which isn't surprising really given they hired these mercenaries to do a particular job and they've now done it

its been goals galore with us this year so it wouldn't surprise me! we'll nick it 5-4 this time though

Nani played well last time out, he's capable of anything on his day and i'm hoping he'll find some form again now for the business end. Welbeck was great against your lot last year, with the CL tie so close it could well be him and Chica to start

i've banged the moyes drum on here before and i wouldn't be against him getting the oportunity. You can't ignore the mou/pep bandwagon though, their success speaks for itself and they carry the kind of profile that our club would expect you feel. Whoever it is has a near impossible task, how can you even hope to compare with the great man. I fear his presence has become such that his leaving will cause such an impact throughout every aspect of the club that a drop in our fortunes is inevitable regardless of who takes over.

Moving on to Everton...

I think beating us in the first game gave you a real boost and you were as good as anyone for the first month or two. the thinness of your squad is always an issue though and as the fixtures build up it takes its toll. Jelavics form has been a worry, get him back firing and you could well get a CL spot

fellani obviously. pienarr seems to like playing against us too

i like moyes, he reminds me of fergie (thats scotist) its a shame he hasn't been given the oportunites at a contending side, he strikes me as a winner and i think he could land trophies

i'd say chelsea, arsenal and spurs are all better than your lot but its difficult to predict their futures, they all have issues of some type. it not impossible you'll get 4th, i'd think 6th was more likely though. as long as its above your bin dipping brothers i dont care!

goals everywhere but we'll nick it this time

Thanks
Youre welcome

Gazza

Yes. It doesn't feel like a vintage season but we've only dropped 13 points all season IIRC. I didn't foresee Chelsea dropping so many points but City I thought might tail off a little after the euphoria of last season after not adding to their squad.

Technically flawless, can play away from goal and in the box, and is visibly hungry to win trophies; I prefer him to RVN but it's take your pick between them, really.

Rafael. He's our right-back for the next decade and has often had to provide the attacking runs down the right when Valencia's been off his game. He's been virtually ever-present but the media still refer to the lazy "can't defend" argument.

We won't storm it. Our run-in includes Stoke and Arsenal away and Chelsea and City at home. City have only the league and FA cup to play for and will do better with Kompany and Toure returning.

Yes, but while the meltdown last season was an anomaly, this season a 4-4 draw at Old Trafford would not look out of place in the context of our season. We are not comfortable defending a lead so we'll need to score a few on Sunday.

Fearful is the wrong word, but Everton's strategy would have to involve suppressing Michael Carrick, I'd have thought.

There's no clear favourite. The most common names are Mourinho, Guardiola, and Moyes; I can think there are positives for each but some United fans would say Mourinho is too focused on himself, Guardiola needs to prove himself away from Barcelona, and Moyes has yet to show how he'd adapt to a Champions League team.

Moving on to Everton...

About right. Your defence has always impressed but you play good football too.

Everyone will say Fellaini but the way our full-backs attack will make it important we don't let the Baines/Pienaar act get too much space.

He's among the best managers in the league and probably the best British one in the top flight besides Sir. I'd like to see how he would fare with a bigger transfer budget before letting him loose at a club like United. He comes across as a real football man, first and foremost. Everton were pretty dire around the turn of the century so he's definitely restored a certain dignity to your club.

Behind Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, but they're the pick of the rest of the league so should aim to finish 6th.

United 2-1

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Moyes hasn't just kept you in the top third and Europe, given the amount he's had to invest he's saved you from relegation.

My question is 'Where has all Everton's money gone?' One of the big five for decades, with success both at home and in Europe, but nothing spent on the ground, way down the list of transfer cash invested and yet strangely still in massive debt. Someone's been ripping you lot off mate.

VoetbalWizard

Totally surprised.

I knew RvP was the dogs as I said he has a 100 goals left in his boots before he signed for us (i originally was saying arsenal would re-sign him and he'd break henry's scoring record). RvP's the best striker, ability-wise, i've seen at utd and I think he'll go down as the 2nd greatest striker ever at utd behind Denis Law.

David de Gea.

City will cut the gap as we progress in europe. However as the resident president of the Treble 12/13 club, all i can say that It's ON!

No. Fergie will make sure you game raising dirty scousers don't cause any problems.

Welbz will break his duck this season against you lot. He's been playing well, just needs to get in the goal.

It seems there's a three way tie among the lads between pep, jm, and moyes.

Moving on to Everton...

punching above your weight massively but draws have killed you. Traditionally you lot start of shit and make up for it after the break. You've kept up in the league but not sure if you have enough depth and quality to finish top 4.

Baines set piece.

I think he likes staying at Everton where he's comfortable and doesn't have the massive pressure he would get at a big club like us or european giants on the continent. Good manager nonetheless. Needs to prove himself at a club that plays in the CL every year before thinking about the utd job.

6th. behind spuds, arse, and chelsea.

score draw

Shark

@NotShark
I mention Cleverley as having played really well to a non-United fan and they pretty much laugh in my face
It's because he's a Machester lad that's come straight from the academy(not some big name from Spain). I'd say that he's performed better than Y.Toure has for City so far this season, for example and had him in his pocket at their place. Yet the same people will say that Yaya has been on another planet to him.

It's mostly jealousy and complete unawareness on their part.

Brophs

The One and Only
So...

We've been great in a lot of ways. We're still a bit shaky at the back but the more we can find a settled back four the more likely we are to improve defensively. Equally we've been pretty sloppy at times overall so there's plenty more to do. I'd give it a 9/10. It's not a vintage United squad. Individually we probably don't match up to the great sides but we have an amazing ability to do what we need to to win games.

He's a world class striker who would have improved any side in the world. The only question mark was injuries and his age. If we get this number of games and these sorts of performances he'll pay for himself well before his contract is up. But the best thing has been how he really seems to have bought into what we're doing. He seems to enjoy the team spirit and he's good with the younger players. Delighted to have him.

Three: Rafael, Carrick and Evra. The three of them have been playing out of their skins this season. Evra's not quite as good defensively as he was at his peak with us, but that might be down to the system as much as anything. Carrick particularly has stepped up.

I think we'll have a wobble at some stage but we'll go on and win it by 3-5 points. City will go on a run of six or seven wins on the bounce at some stage and with our run-in looking tough we'll need to be sure we don't drop too many points early on as the pressure would be really on us then.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. We're very, very open at home and Everton have been playing more expansive football this season.

Nani, if he plays. He might, depending on Everton's injuries, be up against a centre half playing at right back.

No. So many names have been mentioned and there isn't really a clear favourite. You'd guess it will be one of Mourinho, Guardiola, Moyes or a slightly more left field choice such as Klopp, for example.

Moving on to Everton...

Really well. If Miralas and Gibson had stayed fit I think they might be four or five points better off. Their style of play also seems to have evolved somewhat. For the amount they have invested they shouldn't be fighting for CL places.

Fellaini, if he plays. If not then maybe Pienaar as he's a clever little player who gets into dangerous positions pretty regularly.

He's a very good manager who is still improving. He's starting to be a bit more expansive on the pitch and Everton are much more attractive to watch now. How long he can keep pulling rabbits out of hats, though, I don't know. Fellaini will go in the summer. How they replace him will be crucial. Likewise they need to get another striker to take the burden off Jelavic, as he seems to be struggling at the moment. If he could work with a deeper squad and better resources he could get them in the CL, for sure.

6th, unfortunately. Spurs and Arsenal's squads are just stronger and more capable of withstanding some injuries/poor form. Everton will go on a poor-ish run at some stage if they get a few injuries to the wrong players and they don't have the squad depth to compensate for first teamers being in poor form. But if they can hold onto almost everyone but Fellaini in the summer, ship a few players like Heitinga and bring in a new striker, along with one or two others they will do well. As usual it's down to Moyes finding a little gem somewhere.

3-1

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
That forum has been very appreciative of Redcafe and United in general. They even suggested our photoshoppers to enter their Pic thread.

I've always liked Everton, except the Rooney abuse. They hate Liverpool and they are a well managed proper football club. Neviller and Gibson are United and Moyes is a very good manager. When they beat us on penalties to reach the FA Cup finals in 2009, there was a brilliant photo with Phil Neville appearing heart broken :D

After we beat you, I hope you kick on Everton.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema

I am tbh - the amount of money City have spent, I expected that they'd be putting forward a better campaign this season, not least when you consider the amount of goals United have been shipping, and the amount of games we've played without controlling matches, or looking "good". Add Chelsea dropping out of the title picture under the expertise of Mr Benitez, and we are far better placed than I expected at the start of the season.

Perhaps the greatest complement I can give is that he looks like he has been playing with us for years. The transition has been very smooth, and the credit for that goes with both RVP and the existing players on making it work this well - particularly in light of RVP missing pre-season with us, and having done very little with Arsenal in that time. Time will tell how highly we can rate him in terms of the talent the club has had, but it's all quite promising right now, however nothing has been won yet.

For a long time the answer to this was Michael Carrick. Given the amount of success the club has had in the time that he's been here, it has taken a long time for him to get wider praise, but he seems to be getting some attention at long last.

On the opposite side, David De Gea simply doesn't get a break from media criticism. United fans probably expected the media to attack whomever we brought in to succeed VDS after the fiasco(s) that followed Schmeichel's exit, but a season and a half later there is no let-up. It's disappointing given how much work our defence have been giving him, and where we currently sit in the table.

Another name that deserves mention is Rafael - he has been very consistent this season and (so far) survived without the injuries that threatened his development in previous seasons. Everton fans in particular I'm sure will understand how pleasing it is to see a young player develop so well in the first team.

I still expect City to win every match, and for us to make frustrating mistakes that cost points, but then again I'm just a pessimist.

That game was a nightmare - and probably the game of the season. I was impressed with how Everton got themselves back into it, and I can see that same spirit being on show on Sunday.

It's so difficult to predict which eleven will start, making that question difficult to answer. I hope Sir Alex doesn't take this game lightly due to the Real Madrid tie, but I expect we'll see a fair few players missing that one might expect to start. The wingers this season haven't been great - Nani needs a run of games as he brings so much to the table when in form, but whether this will be game remains to be seen. Valencia has been the most frustrating player this season, given that he swept the club awards last year but now unbelievably seems to be player without any confidence. Kagawa could be a surprise star in this game, he certainly has the talent.

This has been talked about for a decade at least, but the names of successors keeps changing. I didn't think he would manage at 70, but when that event came I couldn't see any reason for him to step aside. He is the best person for the job (despite his slightly annoying reluctance to sign central-midfielders) and my only hope is that his health remains as good as it is currently.

Moving on to Everton...

I would love to see Everton get into the top four this season, though I fear some of the draws against lower teams will prevent that. Yours is a club I respect greatly, and I think it would be a credit to the league if Everton could continue to build and remained inside the top six of the league for seasons to come.

Felliani and the delivery towards him - twice we've had no answer to him in an attacking role and I have no doubt he will be deployed the same way again this time.

For me he is only behind Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger in terms of the best managers in the league. The fact he has stayed in the job this long is a credit to both him and the club given the current managerial climate.

Difficult to say, the top four is so open and it may yet become a race for third if Chelsea continue as they have been. But assuming Chelsea in third, then I think fourth will be Arsenal, maybe Spurs, leaving Everton looking at sixth possibly. I'd like it if Everton could finally beat Liverpool in the league, given Everton have been the better side for a good few years now, but that never seems to shine through in the actual matches. Do that, and it should secure another season above them, which I'm sure Evertonians won't be unhappy with.

Dropped points I fear, similar to last season but not as dramatic - 2-2 maybe.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Been the most entertaining season in a long while, we haven't been perfect but I do think we've been a little bit better than we've got credit for. City have been average, Chelsea started brilliantly but now have an inept manager. We've been the best team in the league thus far, so a nine point gap doesn't surprise me currently, I also don't see the gap staying that big.
I don't know, has it? The League Cup, the FA Cup and the Champions League have been exciting so far, and we've been coming back to win and draw games in Fergie time a lot.

But in terms of the Premier League I think its been a lot more dull than last season. Less big wins and such, everyone doing about as well as you'd expect.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
In terms of a goal scoring threat, I'd say Nani. He's climbing back on the wagon very nicely, despite protestations to the contrary on twitter, and you know he'll be desperate to put in a sensational performance prior to the match v Real Madrid.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Pretty pleased at the moment, of course I was unhappy at the way we started at your place but we started a consistent run, beat liverpool, chelsea, arse & city and established a good lead. I'm a little surprised at the 9 point gap given citeh's vast oil resources and players at their disposal.

His record speaks for itself. That we were also willing to spend 24m on a player his age shows SAF's belief that RvP would give us an edge. But he needs to complete 2-3 seasons, score consistently & win us some trophies before we can really compare him to the likes of Cantona or Van Nistelrooy.

Probably De Gea. He gets so much stick for those mistakes people have forgotten the great saves he's made. I also think Rooney hasn't got too much praise due to his slightly slow start and penalty misses but he's coming into form now.

I've been a United fan for nearly 30 years and witnessed all our Premier league triumphs, and I can tell you nothing is certain until it's mathematical. 9 points is a fantastic lead to have at this stage but everyone knows what happened to our 8 pt lead last time out. This will of course giving citeh hope and they will keep challenging but as long as we don't make stupid mistakes, we have a good chance.

4-4. I told my friend immediately after the game the score of 4-4 was a bad omen and that we lost the league that day. Don't ask me why but that scoreline is just bad for anyone challenging for the title.

If kagawa plays, I believe he can make the difference.

I think majority of the fans here would like Guardiola to take over. Mourinho has been mentioned several times but I think he's going back into the pay of the Russian Mob. Your own Moyes is up there amongst the bookmakers favourites as well.

Moving on to Everton...

Bloody fantastic, only 3 losses so far and been a serious threat every team in the top 6. Amazing for a Premiership team with such low outlay to be challenging for a champions league spot. Puts another team from merseyside to shame.

Who else but Fellani? Luckily Jelavic is out of form else he would pose an equally dangerous threat.

Would say he's under rated as the media likes to focus on the bigger clubs. He's done an amazing job given the resources, would make an excellent economist.

Very possibly 4th or 5th. I think Everton will be pushing Chelsea, Spurs & Arse all the way. But if you waste golden opportunites like those of Villa (Cost me bet money!), 6th will be more probable.

I've been saying we'll win 3-0 against every team for quite a while now on the matchday threads so I'll say the same thing! May the best team win.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's because he's a Machester lad that's come straight from the academy(not some big name from Spain). I'd say that he's performed better than Y.Toure has for City so far this season, for example and had him in his pocket at their place. Yet the same people will say that Yaya has been on another planet to him.

It's mostly jealousy and complete unawareness on their part.
Not quite a Manchester lad, lived in West Yorkshire for the most-part of his life...until the money started rolling in.

But, thats a different story for a different thread.

AARRONB06

Pleasantly surprised, RVP has made a huge difference, Cleverley has improved a lot, defense is finally stopped leaking so many goals, if our wingers can find form again, we will be flying.

Its still early, but hes got the potential to be up there with all the great United strikers. Just a shame he signed so late.

Rafael, hes becoming the best right back in the league, he has come on so much past 12 months! And Carrick as per, never gets the praise he deserves.

Yeah, after last year I can't help but think they will claw it back to a close finish. But because of last season I think we will fight through.

Yes, I'm dreading it, Everton as far improved on last season in my eyes, so much better football, but so are we! Close game.

Carrick, stop Carrick and stop us playing, as Southampton did.

I have no idea, I always think Jose, but he would want to change it to his way, and I think Fergie is building one final team before he retires, and I wouldn't want a manager to come in and change all his hard work. Its scares me that thought.

Moving on to Everton...

Brilliant, tough team to beat and started well which they never do, they always finish stronger, so if thats right, they have a real shout of Europe this year.

Felliani, he is every game, hes a big bully and out does us every game. Baines from dead balls and left hand counter attacks. Mirralas looks tricky and quick, he could be a danger.

Hes done a great job for the amount of funds hes had and for the amount of first team players he has lost to bigger clubs.

I think they will finish 5th.

I think we will edge it 3-2.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker

This season has probably been the most unusual I've seen as a United fan. You'd think going by the league table that we'd been tearing teams apart and that with Van Persie and Rooney we've been unstoppable. The truth is that we've been wildly off the boil for huge periods of the majority of games we've played! The defence were absolutely all over the place during the first half of the season, there was no fluidity to our play a lot of the time, Valencia has been crazily out of form in contrast to last year and we have this massively frustrating habit of shitting ourselves whenever we go a goal or two up (leading to us repeatedly surrendering possession and having to try and survive onslaughts from all sorts of teams). I am delighted, but it is mad that we are so far ahead! It's only in context of City's performances that it isn't absolutely ridiculous altogether, in my opinion. I don't know whether this all constitutes a surprise given that we've watched it unfold as it has happened; however, had I somehow been shown the second half of the Southampton game at the start of the season and been told that we were going to play like that for huge periods of many, many games, I would've been shocked to find out we'd have been 9 points up at this point. I wouldn't have believed it.

I'd say that if he keeps up this sort of form then he could at least go on to match Van Nistelrooy, although given his impact this season it's felt more like Ronaldo 07/08 than anything else. How it pans out is dependant on his injury record and longevity, and I'd say he needs two seasons of this sort of form to reach the level of Van Nistelrooy in terms of individual contribution (as opposed to impact on the team's success). What's worth saying here is that even though we've had our problems this year, Van Nistelrooy didn't really have the quality around him when he was here at his best that Van Persie does now, as even the like of Scholes (barring 02/03), Keane and Giggs were not really at their best then. He was more clinical and had less to go off in my opinion. Van Persie on the other hand has not been as clinical as people would assume, although his ability on the ball is a thing to behold. I couldn't say how far he'll go but if he matches Van Nistelrooy then we are absolutely sorted.

People have said Carrick here, but I think he's getting the praise he deserves at this point. Evra is also getting some recognition now due to the fact that the media have finally cottoned on to what a class act he is now that he's scoring and assisting (this despite him still being a fair way off how good he was during 2009 for example, at which point he was quite one of the best full backs I have ever seen), so I don't think he really fits the bill either.

Rafael is the one that should be getting more praise. He has been the Premiership's best right back by a clear enough margin in my opinion and also one of the best in Europe. Up until more recently I think it was generally accepted on here that there was very little between him and Van Persie - that alone speaks volumes, and that's before considering the circumstances. Rafael and, in particular, Fabio have suffered an absolute onslaught of injuries since moving here, and even before they'd got here I think I'm correct in saying they played very little competitive football between the ages of 16 and 18. In essence then, they are both 2 or 3 years behind in terms of development, so for Rafael to be where he's at currently is remarkable and shows what a precocious talent he is.

This season and the end of last season has taught us not to expect any sort of walkover. I'm expecting twists and turns, although we have not suffered anything like the injury crisis we had last year and face a City team that simply does not look as good. On the topic of injuries from last year, this was not as widely documented as it could've been - I think I speak for a lot of United fans in saying that it was the most crazy injury crisis imaginable. It was almost comical at times in its decimation of a squad as strong and packed as ours. Every week that passed we were left expecting a player to be out for a few weeks, a couple of months etc...not even just first team players either - some of our best up and coming talents have had terrible luck with injuries and one or two may not recover fully enough to make the grade.

I hope not! :D Every time I see that 'Cashout' Betfair advert I wince a little.

It's a difficult question for one reason - it's very difficult to say who will actually be playing! We've got to pick four of Rooney, Van Persie, Nani, Hernandez, Kagawa, Welbeck and Valencia and it's anyone's guess who will be playing beyond the first two. We are very lucky in that sense, although I am somewhat concerned that won't we properly allow Kagawa to settle nor Nani to become the world class player he should be if we don't stick with an established XI at some point (although we would most likely lose someone like Hernandez if we did this, which would be pretty devastating).

I'm going to go for Evra here. I sometimes think we would be half as threatening without him in the team. Partly because of the form of our wingers this year, but mostly because he's like Neo after becoming The One when he's on form.

It has to be Mourinho. Whoever takes on the job is going to have to either be some sort of genius or have an ego so large that he's capable of lodging himself up his own arse enough to be able to ignore what the media is going to hit him with. To elaborate, look at what the media are doing to De Gea now after he's been tasked with replacing Van Der Sar. It is absolutely senseless. Mindless and crazy, in fact. Can it even be imagined at this point what will hit the person that is going to replace perhaps the greatest manager of all time? It doesn't bear thinking about.

I think Mourinho fits the bill on both counts up there, but at the same time I fear the worst and don't know if even he will cope with it.

Moving on to Everton...

Best team in Merseyside. ;)

The Jelavic situation at the moment is unfortunate but there's a hell of a lot to be positive about. You've got a class act for a manager, you've played some quality football, you've got players who are excellent in their own right and have a real shot at Europe. Couldn't really ask for much more than that.

Fellaini without any doubt whatsoever. I think we need to play Anderson just so we can at least offer some form of response to what he brings to the table because he absolutely shat on us last time. I honestly cannot remember the last time a player did what he did to us earlier in the season, and with such ease as well. We've obviously had players who have really dominated us in the past in particular games - we were done over the following week by Dembele, for example - but it was just crazy how little a chance we stood against him that day. Monstrous stuff.

Nothing but respect for him as a manager and he comes off very well to boot. In this day and age, it is seriously impressive to do what he has done and I would've considered him a fantastic candidate for the United job had the job itself not become so enormous and daunting (not saying that he would leave Everton or that we could just pick him up at the drop of a hat, just to confirm). With no disrespect at all to Everton, the leap in terms of exposure and expectation is vast and that's pretty much the only reason I wouldn't think him a viable candidate until he took another step up. I mean, I even doubt whether Mourinho could handle the shitestorm the whole thing will cause - you can tell the Spanish press are pushing him to his limits as it is.

6th, in my opinion. It'd be nice to see Everton finish higher but I think Spurs will be too strong and that Arsenal will do their customary 'cement a Champions League spot no matter how shite they look for huge chunks of the season' act. It'd be good for the Premiership if you managed more though and, irrespective of your final position, I'm looking forward to seeing what Moyes does in the transfer window this summer. I say that up there about Arsenal, but the top 4 at this moment really doesn't exist any more and is completely open for grabs. It's the best shot you've had since breaching it in 2005, so with a couple of signings you never know what will happen. Fellaini is obviously key, though if he were to go you could be quite comfortable in the knowledge that you could demand something around what we paid for Rooney.

I have no idea, to be honest. We walked into a death trap last time having Scholes in midfield with Carrick and Valencia in defence, though - there was absolutely no strength or height whatsoever in central areas and we got thoroughly dicked on as a result. I'm hoping this time with Van Persie playing from the start, a settled midfield of Carrick and Cleverley (hopefully Anderson too but I think Fergie will go for that tried and tested duo) and a defence consisting of actual defenders, that we will put in a far better performance. Difficult to say, though. I watched Nani, Rooney and Welbeck play some of the best football they have ever played for us last year yet we still didn't win. We'll have to wait and see.

Random prediction...2-1 United. Hernandez with both of them after coming on in the second half. Van Persie to fail to score for the third successive game, in turn causing the media to become hysterical. De Gea to make a single mistake after suffering an absolute barrage of Everton attacks. Fergie to almost choke on his chewing gum due to the stress of the dying minutes.

I can't believe how long I spent writing that!