Rúben Dias - FWA Footballer of the Year

izec

Dont know about Benfica, but he was always class for Portugal whenever i watched them. He is a beast.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Dont know about Benfica, but he was always class for Portugal whenever i watched them. He is a beast.
He's gone up several levels this year compared to his previous displays for Benfica in my opinion - obviously a big part of this is because he's still only 23 and scarily may not even have peaked yet as a player.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Vidic like performance tonight. Very brave defender, my kind of style.

gibers

Absolute rock. The transformation he's had on their defence is simply insane. van Dijk esque.

Rossa

He's gone up several levels this year compared to his previous displays for Benfica in my opinion - obviously a big part of this is because he's still only 23 and scarily may not even have peaked yet as a player.
That bolded part. What cb ever peaked at 23, and don’t give me Jones? He peaked at 17.
He’s brilliant though!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That bolded part. What cb ever peaked at 23, and don’t give me Jones? He peaked at 17.
He’s brilliant though!
Yeah fair enough! I was thinking more in the case of injury frankly - barring that you'd definitely expect him to keep improving (although Pep potentially leaving at some point might also be a consideration).

Oranges038

Looks like he going to be a top class defender, still plenty of time for him to get even better. That sliding block with his head in the first half was proper old style centre back play and the way he just got up and got on with it. Just a shame he plays for City, I might actually like him as a player otherwise.

DCP

I’ve wanted him at United since he was about 20. I could cry!

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Best CB in the world right now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Excellent defender.

City have seen seasons where they've defended well overall, but were let down at times in the CL by lapses from their defenders, or an overall breakdown of defensive organization. Stones has been great this season, but Dias has been phenomenal, both in terms of individual performance and organizing the entire defense, especially at the business end of the CL. They've really cut out the stupid mistakes at the back, and that helps the 6 up front get into a rhythm.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We are linked with a lot of young talents, but I don't think we were ever serious. Yes I remember arguing with some portuguese fans on here who also doubted him due to apparent lack of pace, but whenever I watched him play, he just always seems solid.
Yeah I can’t say I knew too much about him before he signed for city but what a signing he’s been. I suppose it helps if you can just splurge an additional £60m on a CB if the other doesn’t work out

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
BITW

Even better than VVD (yeah I said it)

gibers

Excellent defender.

City have seen seasons where they've defended well overall, but were let down at times in the CL by lapses from their defenders, or an overall breakdown of defensive organization. Stones has been great this season, but Dias has been phenomenal, both in terms of individual performance and organizing the entire defense, especially at the business end of the CL. They've really cut out the stupid mistakes at the back, and that helps the 6 up front get into a rhythm.
Replace Dias with Laporte who has been a calamity in Coty's CL runs since he joined and they would probably have made another CL final before this.

gibers

Certainly he's better at age 23 than VVD was. That said, don't think he has the range of passing or quality on the ball that VVD does, though granted we have to see how VVD recovers post-injury.
Overall van Dijk is the best cb, but Dias is in the range when it comes to defending and leading a line. He's also good in a high line which most Cbs can't do. He's like a modern day Vidic that's good on the ball and can defend in a high line.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Overall van Dijk is the best cb, but Dias is in the range when it comes to defending and leading a line. He's also good in a high line which most Cbs can't do. He's like a modern day Vidic that's good on the ball and can defend in a high line.
Oh I completely agree. For me Dias has been the best CB in Europe this season. Just wouldn't have him ahead of VVD from the past two years personally. Certainly I think there are questions to be asked about how VVD recovers and whether he can hit the heights he was at before - I meant no slander towards Dias at all.

gibers

Oh I completely agree. For me Dias has been the best CB in Europe this season. Just wouldn't have him ahead of VVD from the past two years personally. Certainly I think there are questions to be asked about how VVD recovers and whether he can hit the heights he was at before - I meant no slander towards Dias at all.
100%.

Yeah, will be very surprised if he recovers his former level tbh.

FatTails

Incredible find.

Just goes to show what a good scouting network, an eye for talent, and plenty of expensive trial-and-error can achieve. Mangala’s sacrifice was not in vain.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm not going to criticize us for not looking at him because many people including me didn't think he'd make such an impact especially so soon. It makes me wonder though, bar the popular names like Kounde and Varane there's definitely just some gem that could have an instant impact here

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I recall us being linked while Jose was still manager? I also remember quite a few who watched him in the Portuguese league having their reservations of settling into the pace of the EPL because he is not the fastest. Don't think many people thought he'd be such an excellent signing for them in fairness.
Never seriously. The only Portuguese talent he ended up signing under us was Diogo Dalot. More proof the man is done at the elite level

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
I kind of agree. He is a defender who throws himself into blocks very like Vidic
Only Benfica player of the last years who can compete with the big boys. He isn't a hype like Sanches (a lot of power but too few football intelect and too few football or Felix - good technique and great vision but not strong enough and not enough fysique -. Luckily we've got the best portuguese player that played in Portugal of the last seasons in our squad but he didn't come from benfica so he didn't get hyped like the ones of Porto or Benfica.

Don't think that Dias was ready at the time that we've got Lindelhof in.

Last edited:

Pep's Suit

Clearly the best centre-back in Europe right now. And crazy that he's just 19 months older than Mbappe, Dias really shouldn't peak for another 4-5 seasons at least.

Will be interesting how long Laporte's fine with his current position. There are already rumours that Ake will push for a transfer this summer.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Most important brick in City's build this season. He's been fabulous.

Judas

Open to offers
I can't believe he's only 23. It's massively depressing. City have some ridiculous young talent that has them set up for another decade, and it's not like any of them will look to leave either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Eh, he’s great and all and has had a phenomenal season, but players and teams have off seasons - especially here in the PL. No doubt they’ll always be up there under Pep and with the insanely stacked team they have, but it’s not all doom and gloom. We weren’t/aren’t a million miles off.

Oldyella

Clearly the best centre-back in Europe right now. And crazy that he's just 19 months older than Mbappe, Dias really shouldn't peak for another 4-5 seasons at least.

Will be interesting how long Laporte's fine with his current position. There are already rumours that Ake will push for a transfer this summer.
Really? Not quite sure what Ake expected if he's already unhappy with his game time.

Pep's Suit

Really? Not quite sure what Ake expected if he's already unhappy with his game time.
I think he thought Stones and Zinchenko would leave and he'd be a 3rd choice CB + fight for a starting LB spot. Now he's a 4th choice for both these positions so we'll see what happens.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah I can’t say I knew too much about him before he signed for city but what a signing he’s been. I suppose it helps if you can just splurge an additional £60m on a CB if the other doesn’t work out
But the others did work out. They've both also been excellent this year.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
But the others did work out. They've both also been excellent this year.
Stones was far from a certainty before this season, in fairness. & Ake is yet to get enough game time to have any sort of opinion on his signing. Outside of Kompany, I’d say Laporte was the one who you would have said, has worked out. I also don’t really recall you guys signing a lot of CB’s though. Otamendi. Who else am I missing?