Rúben Dias - FWA Footballer of the Year

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How did we not go for him? The 2nd world class centre back we just watched getting picked up by our rivals. 62m, while van Dijk went for 75m.

Has elevated them significantly and even has Stones playing well next to him.

SambaBoy

How did we not go for him? The 2nd world class centre back we just watched getting picked up by our rivals. 62m, while van Dijk went for 75m.

Not sure. He looks class though.

I think our resident Portuguese posters said Lindelof looked better in the Portugese league and they felt Dias might be a risk for City. I don't think he was a sure thing for City but so far, he looks class.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I find it so unbelievably shit that Dias is getting all the credit for Stones's form. Stones has been every bit as good as Dias this year.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure. He looks class though.

I think our resident Portuguese posters said Lindelof looked better in the Portugese league and they felt Dias might be a risk for City. I don't think he was a sure thing for City but so far, he looks class.
Wow, that certainly passed me by. Dias was captain though, right? And at a young age too. Always a good sign (like with Tierney and Rice).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
City don't seem to get it wrong with defenders it seems, even with Mendy, you could argue injuries have halted his progress.
Well, previously they took a hit on Jerome Boateng if memory serves, and Kolarov was hit and miss. After Pep came in they obviously have faired better, but Stones has looked both great and terrible, by and large in equal measure. But they are clinical in the market.

edit: Yes, others have pointed it out, Mangala was a disaster buy, Savic not great either!

croadyman

Sickening every time he puts in a class performance whilst we went for Harry which feels like a mistake when you see this guy playing well every single week and demonstrating leadership of the defence too

City don't seem to get it wrong with defenders it seems, even with Mendy, you could argue injuries have halted his progress.
What!

city but so many defenders, at some point some will play well.

how much has pep spent on centrebacks and full backs over the past 5 years - it’s astonishing?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sickening every time he puts in a class performance whilst we went for Harry which feels like a mistake when you see this guy playing well every single week and demonstrating leadership of the defence too
Yeah. I like Maguire, but I would have preferred either of those two world class defenders to be perfectly honest. And then we wouldn't be trying to find a suitable partner to cover his weaknesses. But imagine Dias next to Maguire...

neilv93

He's different class and elevating City to an even higher level, unfortunately. Raising the bar of Stones too (which is great for England of course) and it sucks to say but I think they'll win their maiden CL. Not something worth dwelling on for us, we just need to target and ensure we get the next defensive gem - Kounde?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thought the consensus when he joined was that he’s error prone.

Ekeke

Scored and conceded. A lot of money.

West Ham scored 1 in 2 games against us this season, They've scored 2 in 2 against City.

He's obviously been very good overall but Stones has been better and I think if Dias was playing for us his mistakes would be magnified and his reputation wouldnt be as good, like with Maguire

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Scored and conceded. A lot of money.

West Ham scored 1 in 2 games against us this season, They've scored 2 in 2 against City.

He's obviously been very good overall but Stones has been better and I think if Dias was playing for us his mistakes would be magnified and his reputation wouldnt be as good, like with Maguire
You've been having a go at Dias since at least September and scoffed at me when I said the following You even made a thread in a thinly veiled rebuttal of him in September. What's your problem, did he shag your ex or something?

Ruben Dias is my favorite defender to watch. Rolls Royce of a center half.

Ekeke

You've been having a go at Dias since at least September and scoffed at me when I said the following You even made a thread in a thinly veiled rebuttal of him in September. What's your problem, did he shag your ex or something?
I said he would be similar to Laporte's level, but better in the air. I dont see that being wrong to this point

Why do you think Dias has been great but Maguire hasnt been?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I said he would be similar to Laporte's level, but better in the air. I dont see that being wrong to this point

Probably because one is the main CB of a side who’ve conceded 17 goals this season, with 15 clean sheets, and the latter has been the main CB of a side who’ve conceded 32 goals, with 8 clean sheets.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
In fairness to @Ekeke that's a desperately cringey comment.

Zoo

You can praise him without bringing Maguire into it who has done well for us.

croadyman

Maybe because Pep is more willing to change things at CB when they aren't working whereas Ole sticks to his guns with his first choice partnership because he is constantly worried about the other two picking up injuries

JakeC

Not strictly what you said.

Sounds like you dont like to watch defenders for defending
based on what? If he was he'd be moving on from Benfica this summer at the latest

I wonder what happened to the previous Benfica CB that was lauded not because of his defending but because people thought he looked quite good on the ball.
So based on nothing then. Why is he 23 and heading into the season with Benfica who arent even the league winners in portugal if he's one of the most coveted defenders in the game. You've made it up after playing football manager.

Theres no reason whatsoever why he wouldnt be signing for a top club right now for a huge fee if he was one of the most coveted defenders around. And if he had been for years, he would have probably moved a year ago. He isnt.

Because you're acting like Mystic Meg, making shit up and ignoring the reality of whats actually happened before

Ekeke

Probably because one is the main CB of a side who’ve conceded 17 goals this season, with 15 clean sheets, and the latter has been the main CB of a side who’ve conceded 32 goals, with 8 clean sheets.
How is he main?

Stones has been great. City's defence do less defending than ours as we can see from the defensive actions they do per game. Its part of how they play, having the majority of the ball.

And I'm going to go ahead and suggest that every United fan posting about Dias has watched Maguire more often than Dias, so has personally seen him make more mistakes. But that doesnt mean they havent made the same amount. It means you watched United more.

Ekeke

Not strictly what you said.
I said theres no reason why he wouldnt be signed for a high fee right now if he is one of the most sought after CBs. City then signed him and he was expensive. How is that wrong exactly?

JakeC

do you really have to wreck a boy like that
Leave him some room for his beat down pride it’s the only thing he has left in a shit life
Harsh, Ekeke is a good poster, just think he has a bee in his bonnet over him for some reason.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not taking anything from Dias, he looks good whoever I see him, but IMO their defenders in terms of individual quality are not that much better than ours.

Thing is, City back 4 is never under pressure. The way their midfield and forward players work off the ball, pressing moving cutting out passing lanes is amazingly effective. Opposition midfield just folds when facing their pressing whenever I watch City.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep, their defence is down to collective effort and organisation rather than just being about the back four.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not taking anything from Dias, he looks good whoever I see him, but IMO their defenders in terms of individual quality are not that much better than ours.

Thing is, City back 4 is never under pressure. The way their midfield and forward players work off the ball, pressing moving cutting out passing lanes is amazingly effective. Opposition midfield just folds when facing their pressing whenever I watch City.
This is how I feel we should operate. Get a proper DM to take the weight off the centre backs.

Ekeke

Harsh, Ekeke is a good poster, just think he has a bee in his bonnet over him for some reason.
I just dont think ive been proven wrong yet. I think you're trying to say I didnt think he was going to be a good CB at all and thats not what I said. I disagreed that he's one of the most sought after CBs in the world because he wasnt being signed for a big fee, he was still at Benfica towards his mid 20s. City then signed him for a big fee... So the circumstances changed to exactly what I said would happen if that was the case. Yes, proving you correct that he was sought over but what I said isnt incorrect because thats what happened.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I just dont think ive been proven wrong yet. I think you're trying to say I didnt think he was going to be a good CB at all and thats not what I said. I disagreed that he's one of the most sought after CBs in the world because he wasnt being signed for a big fee, he was still at Benfica towards his mid 20s. City then signed him for a big fee... So the circumstances changed to exactly what I said would happen if that was the case. Yes, proving you correct that he was sought over but what I said isnt incorrect because thats what happened.
He's only 23. 22 when City signed him.

Edit - Feel a little harsh mentioning but must be said.