R-E-S-P-E-C-T

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Isn't that exactly my point? Give Spurs those players and Pochettino would get more out of them than Mourinho. The club does have issues but our biggest issue is that our manager is not doing a good job with the players available to him.
No. The issue is that Spurs have 7 players that would walk into our team. We have 3.5 that would walk into theirs.

They have a better team. We have a marginally better squad.

rooneyberbatov

Looks like he's going on a full time war against the media. He can't pick a fight with Woodward for obvious reasons. And won't throw his players under the bus anymore, probably because the board put some pressure on him in this regard. So all hell breaks loose. Lord help us if he gets into his anti-media mood. Dreading the next presser.

I think we're stuck with him for a while, unfortunately, I don't see any viable candidate who will improve things right away, especially at this stage. I just hope he won't completely lose it.

Treble

2 of those 3 titles came with the most expensive squad ever (if you factor in inflation in football). 300m on players back then (net at that) is arguably 1bn in today's market. Or more. Berbatov was a transfer record in 2008 and 32m can't buy you a Deeney today.

Jeffthered

Isn't that exactly my point? Give Spurs those players and Pochettino would get more out of them than Mourinho. The club does have issues but our biggest issue is that our manager is not doing a good job with the players available to him.
Absolutely

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Feck the press, he’s spot on. They have tried to get every United manager sacked since Fergie.

Some may not like him dwelling in the past, but even more recently, he came second in the league, yet they had us in ‘crisis’ before the season even began.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Don't see the point in talking about achievements from years ago. He could have won multiple titles but how good is that for us?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Feck the press, he’s spot on. They have tried to get every United manager sacked since Fergie.

Some may not like him dwelling in the past, but even more recently, he came second in the league, yet they had us in ‘crisis’ before the season even began.
Wasn't that due to Jose himself talking negatively during pre season? Saying if we don't make signings we can forget about the title?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Wasn't that due to Jose himself talking negatively during pre season? Saying if we don't make signings we can forget about the title?
Well he said that on the eve of the season. They were after him ALL summer. Before his first press conference, they were lying in wait to question him on the ‘lack of signings’ and due to their overall obsession of ‘what United lack’ means that they made a much bigger fuss about it. Once it became clear we wanted a centre half, it became ‘Jose centre-half watch’, with article after article on the apparent quality of our negotiations, apparent size of our bids (usually too big for their liking) and a fabricated ‘war’ between Jose and Woodward. Spurs signed nobody, City signed one player - but because we didn’t spend £200m+ on new players the narrative about us was ridiculous.

We apparently needed more work than any other side in the league, the players we DID sign were ignored, and the story was ‘what do United lack?’, which brainwashed the whole country into buying into some sort of crisis. What happens in such a situation is you dare not lose an actual football match, as it then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My bet is that the ‘experts’ would not have even said we needed a centre half if Jose himself didn’t make it so apparent he wanted one. Then came the BS. ‘United offered Maguire for £35m before World Cup’ (which is obviously BS, he was their player of the season who they obviously don’t want to sell), then it was Maguire interest pure ‘panic’, never on our radar (really?!).

The witch hunt is excessive, and unwarranted for a manager who just finished second, let alone one who has achieved so much. They are bloodhounds, and anyone except Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard getting the United Job will be similarly hounded by the British press.

POF

The interesting thing with Jose is when he was leaving Real for Chelsea, he commented on how much more respect he got from the press in England. I remember thinking it was odd selective memory at the time because he was utterly despised when he first arrived in England and it was only later in his tenure the press were on his side.

I really think the media criticism (or any criticism) has a profound impact on him. He says he never reads the media but you can tell he reads it all. As a United manager, you are going to get unfair criticism. It goes with the territory. His inability to handle it and the conflict he now has with the media will ultimately be his undoing.

He really needed a strong start this season to get everyone at the club on the same page. He's now 6 points behind the leaders after 3 games. It's hard to see things getting much better in the near future.

Cassidy

Well he said that on the eve of the season. They were after him ALL summer. Before his first press conference, they were lying in wait to question him on the ‘lack of signings’ and due to their overall obsession of ‘what United lack’ means that they made a much bigger fuss about it. Once it became clear we wanted a centre half, it became ‘Jose centre-half watch’, with article after article on the apparent quality of our negotiations, apparent size of our bids (usually too big for their liking) and a fabricated ‘war’ between Jose and Woodward. Spurs signed nobody, City signed one player - but because we didn’t spend £200m+ on new players the narrative about us was ridiculous.

We apparently needed more work than any other side in the league, the players we DID sign were ignored, and the story was ‘what do United lack?’, which brainwashed the whole country into buying into some sort of crisis. What happens in such a situation is you dare not lose an actual football match, as it then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My bet is that the ‘experts’ would not have even said we needed a centre half if Jose himself didn’t make it so apparent he wanted one. Then came the BS. ‘United offered Maguire for £35m before World Cup’ (which is obviously BS, he was their player of the season who they obviously don’t want to sell), then it was Maguire interest pure ‘panic’, never on our radar (really?!).

The witch hunt is excessive, and unwarranted for a manager who just finished second, let alone one who has achieved so much. They are bloodhounds, and anyone except Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard getting the United Job will be similarly hounded by the British press.
No he didn't he said it during the pre season tour. The negativity started with him, I agree the press jumped on it and ran with it, but he started the negativity, which he didn't have to do.

I'm not sure what your expecting when the manager says that we can forget about the title if we don't make any further signings, and then we don't make any further signings.

AgentP

I hope he doesn't completely lose it. It's still early in the season. If he can get us to play like in the first half against Spurs, we should be back on track.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No he didn't he said it during the pre season tour. The negativity started with him, I agree the press jumped on it and ran with it, but he started the negativity, which he didn't have to do.

I'm not sure what your expecting when the manager says that we can forget about the title if we don't make any further signings, and then we don't make any further signings.
That particular comment, he said on the eve of the season.

Throughout pre-season, he said he wants two more, and if he didn’t get them, we would go with what we have.

The press were only concerned, throughout pre-season, with asking questions like ‘Jose, are you happy with your squad?’. And I recall the conversation before pre-season even started. It was the same. The only way he could have gotten an easy summer is if we spent hundreds of millions on big name players that impressed them. Then they would have deployed a narrative they should be employing with Liverpool about how he has ‘no excuse’ and has to win the league.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't understand what Jose was going on about being the much better side in the first half and playing aggressively. I missed the first 30 minutes but even from that point till the end of the first half, Spurs were the better side. Did United play that well in the first 30 minutes that Jose can rightfully say we should have been 3-1 up that point? Reading the commentary during the 30 minutes I missed the match, only Lukaku missed a gilt edged chance.

Cassidy

Throughout pre-season, he said he wants two more, and if he didn’t get them, we would go with what we have.

The press were only concerned, throughout pre-season, with asking questions like ‘Jose, are you happy with your squad?’. And I recall the conversation before pre-season even started. It was the same. The only way he could have gotten an easy summer is if we spent hundreds of millions on big name players that impressed them. Then they would have deployed a narrative they should be employing with Liverpool about how he has ‘no excuse’ and has to win the league.
Nothing to do with his moaning last season about his squad? His moaning last Jan before we signed Sanchez?
His comments post Sevilla?
He has made it clear he doesn't think the squad is good enough, that sets the narrative.

Like I said the press are a bunch of twats, but this narrative has been set by Jose for a long time.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He didn't help with his constant moaning about players missing because of world cup. Most teams faced the same issue. There was so much negativity before the start of the season, right from start of pre season. It's got bigger by the time transfer window closed.

EireRed_GS

The journos are after his blood for sure. But this was just..cringe. I dont remember SAF ever banging on about how many he had won.. and its a shit load more than Jose. Everyone else loving this is beginning to slightly resemble us pissing ourselves at Rafa cracking up

Treble

I don't understand what Jose was going on about being the much better side in the first half and playing aggressively. I missed the first 30 minutes but even from that point till the end of the first half, Spurs were the better side. Did United play that well in the first 30 minutes that Jose can rightfully say we should have been 3-1 up that point? Reading the commentary during the 30 minutes I missed the match, only Lukaku missed a gilt edged chance.
United were the only side creating chances in that period. Apart form the clear chance that Lukaku had, he missed 2-3 half-chances, Pogba had a shot on target, a shot by Matic was deflected in corner. After the initial intensity dropped (this Jose team is not known for its ability to play high-intensity football), Spurs got the upper hand and began to create the better chances.

Dolf

A little unfair. He clearly wanted a centre back and he was happy to sell players to facilitate that. Toby would have improved everyone that played alongside him.

He would have sold: Rojo, Darmian, Blind, and Martial to fund purchases. Aside from Blind they are all still at the club.

Throw Willian and Toby into this side and we're a guarantee for the top 4 and wont concede many. Woodward cut Jose off at the knees and has pussied out by not just getting rid of him. He wants the fans to turn on him before he does that. It's pathetic.
This is too much logic for this forum. You're completely right though. We might not have liked his choices like selling Martial and buying Perisic for a lot of money or buying Toby for way too much but in the end he would have had a true 'Mourinho' team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He didn't help with his constant moaning about players missing because of world cup. Most teams faced the same issue. There was so much negativity before the start of the season, right from start of pre season. It's got bigger by the time transfer window closed.
I think he was naive. I think he was acting as if the press were his friends or something, speaking his mind freely, but of course, they would use it against him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The journos are after his blood for sure. But this was just..cringe. I dont remember SAF ever banging on about how many he had won.. and its a shit load more than Jose. Everyone else loving this is beginning to slightly resemble us pissing ourselves at Rafa cracking up
Fergie was off limits for the press. They would never try to get him sacked in the same way, as he was the only one fecking winning anything in his days by and large.

As Jose has said many times, you would think we were 4th or 5th last year the way they were after us. The reality is that we were second, pretty much for the whole season.

Swearing Budgie

Spurs also signed the liked of Erikksen and Lucas Moura for relatively small fees, despite the fact both had been on many fans' wishlists for ages.

Look how that turned out for them.

Maybe Edwudwud should play CM a bit.

dogwithabone

No I am not calling what we done last night as outdated, mate. I am travelling back and forward to all home games, and I can see that we have regressed as a football team. Playing the Mourinho way is outdated, same as LVG was. If you cannot see this you are not seeing what most of the fans are seeing when or if you go to games.
I take your point but I'm wary of this 'outdated' quote that's banded around nowadays. What does it mean exactly in a football sense ? I genuinely don't know. I'm 54 and I can sssure you that Clough's Nottingham Forest and Paisley's Liverpool back in the 80's were playing football from a planet that I don't think City have yet hit, hence those two winning European Cups that City haven't yet got close to. What are we saying, that our 1999 treble winning team wouldn't give the current Liverpool, City or Spurs teams a game just because they played 20 years ago and are now 'outdated' ?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Dembele (in principle) is far better than Matic or Fred, whichever role you ask him to play. His hip makes me completely wrong. But he's the better player.

Spurs would love to have the likes of Rojo, Jones, Lingard, Herrera, Mata in their squad. They can't afford to pay that much to benchwarmers. We can.

If Spurs kept their key 14 players and took 9 of our reserves to fill a 23 man squad they'd be challenging City.
Problem being is they are not squad players at United. Mata is dreadful and they have Sanchez over Jones or even Dier to step in. Lingard/Herrera, Winks or Wanyama or Dembele or even Lamala or Son or Lucas all better. Rojo is honking and would struggle to get games at any premiership top club imo.

kiristao

Jose has brought this upon himself really. If he had shown more respect to Woodward, Martial, Our CB's, etc he would have not been in a situation he is in right now. Bad results are part and parcel of football. Blaming everyone for a bad season even before the season starts is all on him. Yes he missed out on players for the preseason but so did all the other top teams across Europe. It should not have come as a surprise to him. Except for Martial, most players were back more or less as expected.
The old Mourinho would always divert the blame/attention on himself after a poor result. Now its more about pushing the blame on others. Yes, he did not do it yesterday but he has been doing it for a while now. I still think we should continue with him as based on yesterdays approach to the game, he may have finally decided to go on the offensive but if he continues to act like the way he has been recently, he might not last beyong Christmas.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I take your point but I'm wary of this 'outdated' quote that's banded around nowadays. What does it mean exactly in a football sense ? I genuinely don't know. I'm 54 and I can sssure you that Clough's Nottingham Forest and Paisley's Liverpool back in the 80's were playing football from a planet that I don't think City have yet hit, hence those two winning European Cups that City haven't yet got close to. What are we saying, that our 1999 treble winning team wouldn't give the current Liverpool, City or Spurs teams a game just because they played 20 years ago and are now 'outdated' ?
I agree totally with your sentiments mate, but people tend to go hyperbole created by the media nowadays. Our 99 and a few years after would pound this city team as would arsenal invincibles.

Acole9

Outstanding

SAF used to ban journalists for making the slightest of negative comments, makes me wonder why other managers haven't done so.

You're right though, van Gaal was treated poorly by the media at times.

Reddy Rederson

Yet again, he defends HIMSELF and not the club.

I know he's human and all, but it is beyond irritating.

Did they poison him at Madrid? It's honestly incredible how much of a changed man he is since then. Barely looks like he enjoys football since then.

The siege mentality is now him vs everyone else. And not the club + himself vs everyone else.

He should take a sabbatical honestly.
If you had listened to the whole presser, youd know that wasnt true. He praised the players and the fans, didnt throw anyone under the bus. The media are making it about him, so what else is he going to do? And honestly, how much would you enjoy being forced to sit and talk to twisted cnuts every week that talk shit about you every day of the week and print it/post it? Ive seen people lose their shit after just one post on here, but when Jose does it under a microscope, hes lost the plot, hes in meltdown, hes insane etc etc etc. Why isnt it just a normal reaction to shit stirrers like it is everywhere else?

pacifictheme

It's pretty disgusting how he's being treated to be fair, they can't wait to write a negative story or put some meltdown spin on everything he does. Honestly can't blame him for having a go back.
Its almost like hes pissed the press off for years and now its time for revenge...

Get In Scholesy

If you had listened to the whole presser, youd know that wasnt true. He praised the players and the fans, didnt throw anyone under the bus. The media are making it about him, so what else is he going to do? And honestly, how much would you enjoy being forced to sit and talk to twisted cnuts every week that talk shit about you every day of the week and print it/post it? Ive seen people lose their shit after just one post on here, but when Jose does it under a microscope, hes lost the plot, hes in meltdown, hes insane etc etc etc. Why isnt it just a normal reaction to shit stirrers like it is everywhere else?

This post is too logical for the Caf my friend.

Well done.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
You could hear the reporters giggling like kids when he left - they were there to wind him up alright.