Race for top 4 | Finito.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
1/3 games played. City is nailed in top 4 and Arsenal (unless they implode) are there too.
So where are we in all this?

My optimistic take would be; Spurs will implode under Conte and their luck in grinding wins is over, Newcastle will not manage to keep up despite they will buy big in january and Chelsea will struggle under Potter this year. On the other hand, we will be better and better under ETH after World cup and Liverpool is too strong to miss it.

So Arsenal, City, United and Liverpool top 4.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
1/3 games played. City is nailed in top 4 and Arsenal (unless they implode) are there too.
So where we are in all this?

My optimistic take would be; Spurs will implode under Conte and their luck in grinding wins is over, Newcatle will not manage to keep up despite they will buy big in january and Chelsea will struggle under Potter this year. On the other hand, we will be better and better under ETH after World cup and Liverpool is too strong to miss it.

So Arsenal, City, United and Liverpool top 4.
Newcastle could do it purely on momentum, unless someone like Almiron gets injured.

I think City and Arsenal are 100% top 4, maybe Spurs then Newcastle or Chelsea.

I think United don't have a good enough squad.

United have to play 2 games a week for the rest of the season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't think Newcastle will keep it up, though they've been good.

United for me are looking like the 3rd best side. Spurs are shite in big games, seem to be able to beat the smaller teams well enough but their performances aren't very good and I reckon they'll drop off. Besides, win our game in hand over them and we're level on points despite a much harder fixture list to date. So honestly not too worried about them. Liverpool have the capability to start playing like a 95 point team again, so that's my biggest worry for 3rd. Chelsea are just "meh", so I don't see them finishing top 4 in the end.

My guess is City and Arsenal compete for title, then United and Liverpool see out top 4, with Newcastle possibly sneaking in there if we struggle with injuries or if Liverpool continue being inconsistent.

bosnian_red

Newcastle could do it purely on momentum, unless someone like Almiron gets injured.

If we win our game in hand on Spurs, we are level on points with them, you know that right? We're also ahead of Chelsea? Why on earth would they be above us in your rankings? We outplayed both in our games against them, and have been well clear of both since the opening 2 games which was a different situation at the club obviously.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If we win our game in hand on Spurs, we are level on points with them, you know that right? We're also ahead of Chelsea? Why on earth would they be above us in your rankings? We outplayed both in our games against them, and have been well clear of both since the opening 2 games which was a different situation at the club obviously.
I just think they have better squads, Tottenham under Conte have had longer to get used to him.

The Europa League fixture we have to slot in will make it very difficult. United have a huge drop off in quality after the starting XI.

Unless United buy big in January I can't see top 4, too many issues in the squad still for me. I think United need more personnel to get a team that really ticks.

We're scraping through games by a goal, nothing more and if the opposition scores it's a really tough game because United just doesn't create and finish enough.

United are a striker, midfield cover away and keeping the wingers fit to even start to turn the tide IMO.

Doing very well but the season will exploit the lack of squad options.

cyberman

Spurs and Chelsea are terrible. I wouldnt let an injury hit Villa game and bust month colour your assessment

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
City, Arsenal, Liverpool are the 3 best sides. Spurs or Newcastle look most likely to take 4th right as us and Chelsea lack goals.

Extra games for us in the Europa and PL will hinder us further.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
City, Arsenal, Liverpool are the 3 best sides. Spurs or Newcastle look most likely to take 4th right as us and Chelsea lack goals.

Extra games for us in the Europa and PL will hinder us further.
We’re better than Spurs

wolvored

Newcastle could go and buy a couple of players in Jan and I believe they will go the way of City and 2 of the 4 spots will be done every season. This season unless Arsenal have a bad WC with multiple players injured, are bang on for another spot. This leaves us Spurs Chelsea and Liverpool fighting for 4th. We need that striker in Jan to stand a chance.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Top 2 is probably already gone but the rest is up fro grabs.

Have to move Ronaldo on and bring in a forward. If we can do that we'd got a chance.

bosnian_red

I just think they have better squads, Tottenham under Conte have had longer to get used to him.

The Europa League fixture we have to slot in will make it very difficult. United have a huge drop off in quality after the starting XI.

Unless United buy big in January I can't see top 4, too many issues in the squad still for me. I think United need more personnel to get a team that really ticks.

We're scraping through games by a goal, nothing more and if the opposition scores it's a really tough game because United just doesn't create and finish enough.

United are a striker, midfield cover away and keeping the wingers fit to even start to turn the tide IMO.

Doing very well but the season will exploit the lack of squad options.
Think it's fair but as a team I think it's also pretty clear that we are better than both. Liverpool are the one who if they stop being dumb will likely surpass us. Spurs? Nah. They've had kind fixtures til date while we've had the worst fixture list in the league. Any time Spurs have come up against a top half team, they've struggled massively. Whereas we've pretty much exclusively played the top half... And like I said, win our game in hand and we're level on points.

We've clearly started to turn the tide, and I'd say we are much further along than what I thought we'd be. I think we easily look the 3rd best side in the league, or 4th if you give Liverpool credit. But we are clearly ahead of Spurs and Chelsea, but I'll accept that fitness could swing that the other way. But that is what it is IMO, we're early in the process. I think it'll get better as the season goes anyway. Varane will be fit when the league restarts. Martial will have a few months to get properly fit, he's been out the whole season so far, so that will be a big add. Sancho and Antony have been out for a very small amount of time but it's been a cramped fixture list so they've missed a few games now.

Given normal injuries, we'll be fine. If Martial misses the entire season, then yeah we'll struggle to get top 4 barring a miracle fitness run from antony, rashford and sancho. But if Martial has "normal" fitness, then we'll be fine IMO.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Chelsea? Have you been watching there games? There even worse then us.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Chelsea? Have you been watching there games? There even worse then us.
I've watched the games, I agree United are better than Chelsea right now but I also think Chelsea have massively underperformed, I think they'll get better as the season goes on. Just like Liverpool will.

Lee565

Sucks we didn't take advantage of spurs and Chelsea dropping points this weekend.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Five teams going for two places. The sides with the most luck injury wise will probably get them.

croadyman

Many more performances like today and it will become a pipe dream once again

cyberman

I've watched the games, I agree United are better than Chelsea right now but I also think Chelsea have massively underperformed, I think they'll get better as the season goes on. Just like Liverpool will.
Liverpool have been shit today again. I wouldn’t be assuming they’d get better and we wouldn’t when we literally have 5/6 first teamers out today and most out for last two weeks. If anybody has scope to improve it’s us

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Goals goals goals.

I asked it at the start of the year where would the goals come from.... Still waiting to find out

Lee565

That can be fixed in Jan if we are serious.
Problem is we have the reactionary glazers that have a wait and see approach and will likely happen is Newcastle will be proactive in securing champions league football by dipping back into the market.

I know the hope is the world cup will throw Newcastle off their form but it also helps buy them time in getting isaak back from injury who will make them even better

wangyu

I’m calling it now, we won’t get top 4, we have to grind out victories. We can’t keep relying on our backline to bail us out as is shown today.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Liverpool have been shit today again. I wouldn’t be assuming they’d get better and we wouldn’t when we literally have 5/6 first teamers out today and most out for last two weeks. If anybody has scope to improve it’s us
100% agree. With a fully fit team we will be miles better. Liverpool are still hit and miss this season. Only thing that may let us down is the lack of finishing up front, same for Chelsea they don’t have a prolific goalscorer.

Infra-red

City and Liverpool have better squads and more proven managers. Liverpool have made a bad start, but they will be better after the WC break. Arsenal don't show any signs of slowing down.

The final top 4 spot will likely go to whoever is the least bad of Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and us. It's a close call, but my guess is that we'll just miss out due to the paper thin squad and lack of quality up front. I reckon Chelsea might just nick it. It will be close, though.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I’m calling it now, we won’t get top 4, we have to grind out victories. We can’t keep relying on our backline to bail us out as is shown today.
Calling it now is stupid.

always_hoping

Just 3 points off top 4 with a game in hand. Could be worse I suppose considering Uniteds lack of scoring power.

CM10

If we sign a striker in January I think we'll be there.

Newcastle are looking strong at the moment, it'll just be a question of whether they can sustain that after the World Cup when domestic cup matches kick in.

Spurs probably fall away. Our chances likely depend on whether either of Chelsea/Liverpool can get it together.

Acquire Me

Goals goals goals.

I asked it at the start of the year where would the goals come from.... Still waiting to find out
We need a forward in the January window, that is for sure. I don’t trust anyone to do that important job up front. Ronaldo looks beaten at the moment and that might be the case for the rest of this season. Martial did a good job before all the injuries, but I don’t trust him to lead the line.

We should look at a defender to challenge/be backup for Varane as well.

pascell

We'll put our eggs in the EL basket for CL shortly after the WC. We don't have the squad to compete in all competitions and ten Hag clearly doesn't favour some of our fringe/2nd XI, so our 1st XI are going to be run into the ground.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Problem is we have the reactionary glazers that have a wait and see approach and will likely happen is Newcastle will be proactive in securing champions league football by dipping back into the market.

I know the hope is the world cup will throw Newcastle off their form but it also helps buy them time in getting isaak back from injury who will make them even better
Indeed I did say if we were serious

croadyman

Wait and see how nasty we make it for the home game against City you leeches then

wangyu

I’m not that positive, we are an injury to casemiro or Martinez away from total mediocirty. Only an extraordinary transfer window can help us but that is very unrealistic.

Acquire Me

I’m not that positive, we are an injury to casemiro or Martinez away from total mediocirty. Only an extraordinary transfer window can help us but that is very unrealistic.
It is not unreasonable to think we might do some business. Hell everyone can see that we need reinforcements up front. It’s madness to not explore the possibilities.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is not unreasonable to think we might do some business. Hell everyone can see that we need reinforcements up front. It’s madness to not explore the possibilities.
Murtough said no business in this window. If Ronnie leaves, maybe some backup striker and that will be max which we will do

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Just a reminder. We are only 3 points from 4th spot (with game in hand).
2 points above Celski and 4 above Pool.

OrcaFat

It’s kind of shocking that a third of the way through the season we have a negative goal difference.

All this talk about how bad Liv, Spurs and Chelsea are, I mean, it’s sort of true and is a lot of fun but I can see all of them getting their shit together at some point. 4th would be a good achievement for us this year, depressing as that sounds.

We’re evidently working through a few issues this year. Consolidate and aim higher next year.