Racism at Old Trafford

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We are all humans and even our fan base is composed of c**ts. We are no special and we have this kind of behavior in every stadium in the world

Football is only the image of the society.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The "it could be worse" is the thing making it racist, though. The chant isn't just "factually" pointing out that Koreans eat dogs. It's not about how Park eats dogs because he's Korean. It's about how he as a Korean eats dogs, but it could be worse, he could be Scouse and eat rats instead. The whole chant is based on the fact that eating dogs is seen as disgusting (and that Park eats dogs because he's Korean), because without that the Scouse insult would make no sense.

Just imagine: "Taibbi, Taibbi, you eat pizza in your home country. It could be worse, you could be Scouse. Eating rats in your council house."

It wouldn't work, because pizza is seen as proper food. Koreans eating dogs does work, because it's seen as disgusting and therefore serves as a way of insulting people from Liverpool by calling them even more disgusting than Koreans. That's the whole premise of the joke. Koreans bad, Scousers worse.
I do get this point and it is a fair comment

To me the 'you' is collective rather than refering to Park himself so it's just saying 'some koreans eat dogs' which is a stereotype but based on reality

Yes it suggests eating dogs is not good, but this is a popular opinion in the UK (and in fact there is growing opposition to dog meat even in Korea) so hardly controversial either.

At the end of the day it's a bit mad to analyse so deeply the words of a chant that was probably concocted in a pub under the influence of several pints of beer but still its a worthy discussion

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
While I'm familiar with that sentiment, I'm short, with a full beard, and a lot fairer than Pogba. I couldn't look any more different than him if I tried.
Sounds like a mixture of genuine stupidity and total ignorance, probably not meant to be malicious. But I can understand how it would leave a sour taste. As a white person I've had things like that happen to me in parts of Asia where I would stick out like a sore thumb.
It doesn't sound malicious, more ignorant/ stupid then. Hopefully you don't see them at the game again.
Again, it's really important to remember that it not 'seeming malicious', doesn't mean it isn't disgusting racism that needs to be called out - and subsequently weeded out.

This isn't meant as an attack on you two lads, at all, but it does need highlighting.

One of the things we have to accept as a society is that if we want to raise standards, then as well as the 'abhorrent' things that are glaring, screaming examples of prejudice / racism etc - there will be many (more) 'lesser' examples that are the leftovers of having a racist / prejudiced society for so fecking long.

We then end up debating 'is this racist', 'is that racist' - rather than just accepting that it's entirely possible for something to actually be deeply racist, yet not 'malicious'...

We have to get used to this and accept it and then embrace it - it's what could well be our legacy as a generation, seriously.

Treating somebody differently - IN ANY WAY - purely because of their skin colour is racism. Judas in Asia (great name for a band that...) being treated in any way differently because he's white - racism.

Some geezer who looks feck all like Pogba being called Pogba by moronic girls - racism.

Doesn't matter if the girls fancied you! Still racism.

Doesn't matter if it didn't bother you... Still racism.

And for the inevitable, and endless procession of - 'Yeah but I'm not malicious, I don't want to have to challenge my own thought process after 30/40/50/60 years - I know I'm not a racist" - Racism is bigger than 'you', accept that...

Racism is better viewed like a toxic religion or a parasitic thought process. It's insidious, it's sentient and its slimy, wretched tentacles are far and deep reaching.

Racism as an entity knows that it's under attack, and it morphs and adapts within the minds of it's hosts - even the ones who 'aren't malicious' - it moves to corners of the collective psyche trying to stay alive, trying to remain unseen so it can appear again when the light upon it is less bright.

Like I said, our generation has achieved very little historically - this though, could be the thing that we tell our Grandchildren about (if we're blessed to have them), this is our Vietnam, our 'what side were you on'.

So remember, even if it's not 'malicious', call it out, weed it out.

Even if it's in your (or mine) thought process.

OL29

Again, it's really important to remember that it not 'seeming malicious', doesn't mean it isn't disgusting racism that needs to be called out - and subsequently weeded out.

This isn't meant as an attack on you two lads, at all, but it does need highlighting.

One of the things we have to accept as a society is that if we want to raise standards, then as well as the 'abhorrent' things that are glaring, screaming examples of prejudice / racism etc - there will be many (more) 'lesser' examples that are the leftovers of having a racist / prejudiced society for so fecking long.

We then end up debating 'is this racist', 'is that racist' - rather than just accepting that it's entirely possible for something to actually be deeply racist, yet not 'malicious'...

We have to get used to this and accept it and then embrace it - it's what could well be our legacy as a generation, seriously.

Treating somebody differently - IN ANY WAY - purely because of their skin colour is racism. Judas in Asia (great name for a band that...) being treated in any way differently because he's white - racism.

Some geezer who looks feck all like Pogba being called Pogba by moronic girls - racism.

And for the inevitable, and endless procession of - 'Yeah but I'm not malicious, I don't want to have to challenge my own thought process after 30/40/50/60 years - I know I'm not a racist" - Racism is bigger than 'you', accept that...

Racism is better viewed like a toxic religion or a parasitic thought process. It's insidious, it's sentient and its slimy, wretched tentacles are far and deep reaching.

Racism as an entity knows that it's under attack, and it morphs and adapts within the minds of it's hosts - even the ones who 'aren't malicious' - it moves to corners of the collective psyche trying to stay alive, trying to remain unseen so it can appear again when the light upon it is less bright.

Like I said, our generation has achieved very little historically - this though, could be the thing that we tell our Grandchildren about (if we're blessed to have them), this is our Vietnam, our 'what side were you on'.

Yeah, maybe I have a different definition of racism than others but to me, that’s a clear example of racism.

Member 113277

I appreciate the complexity of your point but the post I was replying to wasn't examining the similarities in psychology of a passionate football fan vs a vocal racist (which is interesting). He/ she was using racist chants as justification to end the traditions that make football interesting. Yes, some of us have a greater capacity to hate and, yes, that hatred can manifest itself in some ugly ways but, for me, chanting/ anger are just part of what makes going to football an exciting experience. And most fans are capable of being passionate while recognising the limits.
Good reply.

Member 113277

So I'm a black man with a pretty high tolerance level. I often think the racism card is overplayed, probably cos I set my bar quite high and don't mind a bit of banter. So at the Liverpool game, a couple of ladies in front of me kept calling me Pogba and wanting to take pictures with me. It got quite persistent and irritating. I wasn't sure how to react.
1) It was ruining my enjoyment of the game. 2) I bear absolutely no resemblance to Pogba, beyond being a fellow black man.
Just thought I'd ask, what do people think of this? I waved it off but it did leave a sour taste...
Sounds like bad manners and you sound like a guy I'd like to have a pint with.

freeurmind

weak willed
So I'm a black man with a pretty high tolerance level. I often think the racism card is overplayed, probably cos I set my bar quite high and don't mind a bit of banter. So at the Liverpool game, a couple of ladies in front of me kept calling me Pogba and wanting to take pictures with me. It got quite persistent and irritating. I wasn't sure how to react.
1) It was ruining my enjoyment of the game. 2) I bear absolutely no resemblance to Pogba, beyond being a fellow black man.
Just thought I'd ask, what do people think of this? I waved it off but it did leave a sour taste...
You left out the most important part, how hot were these ladies?

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
While I'm not saying racist stereotypes are right. But my main takeaway is that you missed an opportunity to get laid. I mean if they were actually stupid enough to believe you were Paul Pogba, that was a nailed on 3sum. And if they were just using racist stereotypes in way of a compliment, they were obviously up for it. Not that you should be maligned or anything.

fergiesarmy1

While I'm not saying racist stereotypes are right. But my main takeaway is that you missed an opportunity to get laid. I mean if they were actually stupid enough to believe you were Paul Pogba, that was a nailed on 3sum. And if they were just using racist stereotypes in way of a compliment, they were obviously up for it. Not that you should be maligned or anything.
I’m with Okey, I’m not down for getting laid in old Trafford’s bogs. Maybe one of these new fancy stadiums. All the more reason for investment in the ground I say.

Okey

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Stop cracking me up guys. Sadly I couldn't get to check them out properly cos the Pogba thing made it awkward. But No, definitely not in OT's bogs. I do appreciate the points people have made in reply to me, and the shared insights. It's the first time in over 10 years and hopefully I don't come across such again. But if I do, I think I'll be emboldened enough to have a quiet word, then louder if need be...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What a bizarre situation. Where they from a country without many black people or something? Maybe in their excitement at the "Unique" (to them) nature of the situation they totally misread the situation, and thought you were enjoying their "Joke".

If not, and it was just some local ladies, it sounds dreadful, and worthy of a real rebuke.

If you had been a Stormzy/Lukaku style doppelganger to Pogba, it may have been valid as a quick mention, but even then it's borderline dodgy ground to do lookalikes with strangers isn't it, as it's so easy to offend!!

miked99

I was a match going fan from 1978 to 2018 and in the 70/80s the racism was terrible, but it was considered 'normal' then (for want of a better term) and a reflection of society as a whole. In modern times I never heard any individual racist comments at all. There was that minging Adebyaor chant but I never heard anything on an individual level.

It seems to be resurfacing in recent times, but society as a whole has become a lot more racist since Brexit. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the only good racist is a dead racist.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Ok, so say you're a blonde white person, and go to a remote part of asia. If they're staring at you and very interested, is that "Racism"?

I wouldn't say so, would you? It'd be impossible for people who haven't seen a blonde white person to react any other way surely.

There has to be a negative element, a discrimination etc. Curious interest is not that.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's the kind of thing you can probably laugh off once, but if it was persistent then you were within your rights to tell them to feck off!

Whether it is racist I dont even know - on some level it probably is, but its not malicious so cant put it in the same category as overt racism

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ok, so say you're a blonde white person, and go to a remote part of asia. If they're staring at you and very interested, is that "Racism"?

I wouldn't say so, would you? It'd be impossible for people who haven't seen a blonde white person to react any other way surely.

There has to be a negative element, a discrimination etc. Curious interest is not that.
Really? After reading my post, that's your take away - that's what's bothering you?

As I've tried to explain many times previously - it doesn't need to be malicious to be racism / prejudice.

The 'negative element' that you're talking about is subjective - this is what leads to idiotic, cretinous statements like 'the Lukaku song is a compliment!' etc.

Your example - as @Judas experienced, is racism. It can't be explained away by 'curiosity'. And likewise, 'curiosity' and racism aren't mutually exclusive.

It's treating another human being differently because of their skin colour.

I'd literally never seen a far eastern Asian person in real life until I would've been around 11 - yet the notion of then staring at the kid in my school who's family were Chinese and becoming 'fascinated' by the way he looked was honestly alien to me (and every other kid I can remember in my school) as I guess I was just raised with enough sense to not even have the urge to do so.

He's a boy - in my school - his family's Chinese. End of. It didn't excite me.

I've never met a Tahitian person in real life - if I did, the notion of 'being curious' about them because of their 'exotic origin' is ridiculous to me - utterly laughable.

What you're talking about is essentially humouring thick people, and / or people with no manners and making them exempt from racism because they're uneducated...

I feel very much that these are the people who most need to be helped into the modern world.

ryansgirl

As a foreigner who has worked for a long time in East Asia, I don't think the curiosity of Koreans and Japanese, for example, is racist although I did get tired of being told my nose was big by Korean kids and adults, it sometimes also happened in Japan, or other similar observations. Nor are certain stereotypes. These countries are still roughly 98 percent of the native population and I have seen a few changes in both countries for the better over the years regarding foreign people included foreigners working in both.

I love both countries and still live in one of them, have a decent number of both Korean and Japanese friends. One thing in both countries is the less overt discrimination that occurs 'naturally' because you are an 'outsider' - both the K and J terms for foreigner mean that.

That includes deliberately omitting polite language to the foreign face. I never did and never will accept that - I would be horrified if in Oz I heard somebody speaking to a non white person as if they were way below them and didn't deserve basic respect.

In fact in Tokyo which the western media always falls over itself to call 'sophisticated' the old Japanese word meaning 'outsider' is used frequently and not just by the public but by some people whose job it is to serve you including in local govt. offices.

I've lived in four different places in Japan and some years ago I didn't hear that word as the government and others then in that other city were telling Japanese people to quit using it. Go figure why it is common now in the capital city - I know why because as Japan is changing, even 2 percent of visibly non Japanese is too much for many to handle.

A lot of the passive-aggressive racism completely bypasses visitors and white foreigners who work here if their Japanese language skills are not good or non-existent. There are also a growing number of black foreigners and while attitudes have definitely changed towards them because of hiphop, success in popular sports and President Obama, there are cases where the children of their marriage with a Japanese partner get outright cruel rejection by their peers.

I'm not saying this happens to every child of an international relationship but it's much tougher to deal with than in a western country, say, for a number of reasons including the attitude that well, you're not 100 percent Japanese and you look different.

Both Korea and Japan have traditional racist terms for outsiders - in Korea you add 'nom to somebody's nationality and you're insulting them and there are also worse words, in Japan if you hear 'shironbo' and 'kuronbo' both at the least mean 'white bastard' and 'black bastard' although the latter has more associations of the 'n' word.

Last edited:

Will Singh

I'd class that as racist abuse personally - I think most would tbh mate.
It's a fine line between racism or stereotyping and I'd say the later but then again I grew up in a majority white area so maybe I've learnt to live with it from back in the days but don't get it that much nowadays anyway.

0le

Do people think the Lukaku chant was racist?

AFC NimbleThumb

So 9.1% of a [likely] majority white audience didn’t find a chant about a black mans penis racist, this really proves a point. The last thing anyone should do is come to RaceCaf for unbiased views on race, see the Lukaku, Pogba, Silva threads this place is full of. . . mirrors of society.

Again, as a black man I have never wanted to make posters of or chant about a white mans/footballers penis [& Beckham is a beautiful man] - it is genuinely a disturbing phenomenon & the lengths people are going through to normalise it are truly outlandish.

“Is this racist”, “Is that racist”; I could care less - its f***ing weird is what it is.

How about a majority white audience don’t make up chants about other groups based on perceived characteristics [who's seen Lukaku’s penis?] & then tell people whether it’s racist or not. This place is an absolute shambles when it comes to race. Got idiots in here thinking a group of women shouting Pogba at a black fan might be ok if he looks a bit like him - f*** off.

pacifictheme

So 9.1% of a [likely] majority white audience didn’t find a chant about a black mans penis racist, this really proves a point. The last thing anyone should do is come to RaceCaf for unbiased views on race, see the Lukaku, Pogba, Silva threads this place is full of. . . mirrors of society.

Again, as a black man I have never wanted to make posters of or chant about a white mans/footballers penis [& Beckham is a beautiful man] - it is genuinely a disturbing phenomenon & the lengths people are going through to normalise it are truly outlandish.

“Is this racist”, “Is that racist”; I could care less - its f***ing weird is what it is.

How about a majority white audience don’t make up chants about other groups based on perceived characteristics [who's seen Lukaku’s penis?] & then tell people whether it’s racist or not. This place is an absolute shambles when it comes to race. Got idiots in here thinking a group of women shouting Pogba at a black fan might be ok if he looks a bit like him - f*** off.
Well said.

fergieisold

I couldn’t make the game...but rumour has it it’s the “FIVE MORE” man who always bets on United to score five goals. Wouldn’t surprise me as I’ve heard him shout racist abuse on more than one occasion. All I heard is that he was not allowed back to his seat at half time.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
People learned things during that discussion though - I hope. Particularly those who heard it as banter/fun at the start (which probably included its authors) were hearing it differently by the end. More significantly though, it died out at OT almost immediately - fading in the first match after the complaints were aired, more or less gone after that. People do learn, especially people who didn't intend to promote a racist chant, but who had never really thought about what they were singing or the stereotype they were invoking.

ryansgirl

That Lukaku chant was and is disgraceful. Some people might argue that as African descent people and African people are relative latecomers in significant numbers to Britain by contrast with the USA and its slave-owning history, then using racist stereotypes of the 'oversexed' black man and his outsized manhood is somehow less odious but that's just an excuse.

Such racist stereotypes belong in the same company as the black cannibals cooking white explorers in pots, 'lazy as a black' saying and cartoons of African/African descent people wearing bones through their noses and gulping watermelons with enormous lips. Not to mention the more recent examples of racists throwing bananas onto football pitches, making monkey noises at black players and the very recent H and M ad showing a young black boy wearing a T shirt with 'Coolest monkey in the jungle'.

As for continually comparing people of one ethnicity with another person of the same ethnicity because of their relatively similar skin colours in the case of the 'Look there's Paul Pogba' nonsense - surely as a multicultural society for at least 4 decades this shouldn't be considered just one of those things in the UK or any other multicultural western society.

Lumping people together as indistinguishable because they have the same skin colour or attributing negative qualities to people because of their skin colour/ethnicity is the hallmark of racism. While this is not quite the same as racism towards African people/people of African descent, I remember very clearly when South Korea began publicity campaigns about HIV/Aids. At first the posters and billboards showed white foreigners only.

lsd

The Oracle

The fact as a black person you may not find something racist doesnt mean its not racist . You dont speak for all black people .

The lukaku chant was mocking a stereotype which makes it racist in many peoples views as was pointed out to the offenders by a lot of people and the majority of replies i saw were oh its only a bit of fun blah blah blah .

Going to a football match does not entitle a person to be able to say what they want on the grounds of its fun or as iv had replied to me its traditional to behave and say stuff at football games that you cant do at work or on the street .

cyberman

White people discussing what should be racist never works out well.
We just dont live with it to understand

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm starting to think this is true. The views on racism in this forum tend to be shockingly bad. The fact that people on here tend to be reasonable on almost all other topics is telling.

lsd

The Oracle

They may not understand it but im sure a lot of white people have done a lot for civil rights and equality issues . Another topic altogether obviously and i get what you are saying but again i just have a problem at times when someone appears to speaks for everyone with a statement like one race shouldnt talk about a particular topic as it doesnt apply to them

Generalisation

AFC NimbleThumb

The fact as a black person you may not find something racist doesnt mean its not racist . You dont speak for all black people .

The lukaku chant was mocking a stereotype which makes it racist in many peoples views as was pointed out to the offenders by a lot of people and the majority of replies i saw were oh its only a bit of fun blah blah blah .

Going to a football match does not entitle a person to be able to say what they want on the grounds of its fun or as iv had replied to me its traditional to behave and say stuff at football games that you cant do at work or on the street .
You’ve woefully misinterpreted my whole post.

If you think it was about me not finding something racist & talking on behalf of all black people then comprehension is as much an issue as race in this thread.

lsd

The Oracle
You’ve woefully misinterpreted my whole post.

If you think it was about me not finding something racist & talking on behalf of all black people then comprehension is as much an issue as race in this thread.

I have and iv no idea how i did so . I totally made your post up in my head somehow

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I said this a few months ago and was told I am in fact the racist :rolleyes:
Because you don't think something is bad, doesn't mean it isn't. The Lukaku/Origi stuff is a prime example, TONS of (white) people didn't think it was racist because 'having a big dick is a good thing'. Got some bad news for you on that front...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just saw this on my timeline. fecking horrible if true.

Based Adnan

Absolutely disgraceful that. No CCTV available for outside the main entrance? Bollocks. Hopefully the club look into it and send that security company packing.

Alabaster Codify7

This needs escalating into such a shit storm hot potato that the security company are bullied by United themselves into naming,shaming, firing those responsible and the fecking cops involved need outing too.