Racism in Football

The Neviller

I don't understand what your point is. Surely it's different if someone uses the word "nigger" as an insult or if they use it due to their ignorance. Which may be inexcusable for a native, but it certainly isn't for a foreigner. Yes, I could be punched for it, but that would be due to the thickness of the person hearing it, not my own fault.

Same applies to you. You go and learn Portuguese at some language institute, come to work here in Portugal, and you're likely to call a black person a "preto" (because you learned that black = preto). I can imagine someone getting offended by that, even in the context of your foreign accent and culture, but I wouldn't think it's your fault, more the fault of the person getting offended by being unable to put it into context.

This opinion is unrelated to the event Carl mentioned, I have no idea what were the intentions of the person he was talking about. I don't even know if the Negro/Preto/Nigger/Black reasoning applies in Spanish in the same way it does in Portuguese.

Google translate knows the difference. I just tried it and it translated "A black person" to "Uma pessoa negra".
Ah, the Suarez defence.

Simple question though, why the need to refer to someone by their skin colour at all? Surely a black fella is just a fella.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Ah, the Suarez defence.

Simple question though, why the need to refer to someone by their skin colour at all? Surely a black fella is just a fella.
That's a dumb question. It's a descriptive that may be need to be used, in the same way as male, female, tall, fat, young or old. I have to use it daily in my line of work.

And if you can't tell that apart from a "Suarez defence" then you have comprehension problems. I never called anyone a nigger, all I'm saying is that a few years ago I could have, and there are obvious reasons why that is the case, and I explained them above.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Surely if 'Negro' or 'Negra' is the PC term for a black person in Portugal or another country then who are we to say that's wrong? Unless the person lives in our country and says it in our country.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Ah, the Suarez defence.

If there was 10 white guys and 1 black guy standing and you where trying to pick the black guy out to describe him to someone, would you say the guy with the green Nike's or would you say the black guy? It's a term to describe someone, and to me if used correctly and in a non-racist way is no different from tall, short, fat, ginger etc.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I think if that foreigner spent a certain while in the country, he has to learn what can be said and what can't to someone.Suarez should have learned the differences between using the word in England and in his country.It's not like he had been in the UK for a week or something.
Then again you have his entire line of defending and Liverpool's which was a complete joke, the entire thing could have been wiped out with a simple "I'm sorry to have used that word towards Evra, I didn't mean in that way etc etc etc ..." Quickly apologize and move on
The word is completely irrelevant anyway. He could have used absolutely any term meaning black - the fact that he used it in the sentences he did mean that it was derogatory, and therefore was racist language.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
Surely if 'Negro' or 'Negra' is the PC term for a black person in Portugal or another country then who are we to say that's wrong? Unless the person lives in our country and says it in our country.
It is a word that describes a colour of a particular object, whether animate or inanimate.

Gato n*gro = black cat.
Perro N*gro = black dog.
Homme N*gro = Black man.
Mercado N*gro = Black Market.

The list is endless, but the word "N*egro", is offensive in the English language along with its other form. However, it is used in a positive sense to describe everyday animate and inanimate objects and beings.

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
The word is completely irrelevant anyway. He could have used absolutely any term meaning black - the fact that he used it in the sentences he did mean that it was derogatory, and therefore was racist language.
He could have done, but here is the list of synonyms for that particular word:

Word: negro ()
Synonym of negro: lóbrego
Synonym of negro: moreno
Synonym of negro: mulato
Synonym of negro: obscuro
Synonym of negro: oscuro
Synonym of negro: sombrío
Synonym of negro: tenebroso
Synonym of negro: tétrico

Make of that what you will.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
It is a word that describes a colour of a particular object, whether animate or inanimate.

Gato n*gro = black cat.
Perro N*gro = black dog.
Homme N*gro = Black man.
Mercado N*gro = Black Market.

The list is endless, but the word "N*egro", is offensive in the English language along with its other form. However, it is used in a positive sense to describe everyday animate and inanimate objects and beings.
In Portugese?

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
I thought we were talking about Suarez since his language would be Spanish. My bad Rob. However, in Portuguese, I believe the words "Preto", and "negro" are used to describe anything that is black.
Indeed I have researched it and you are correct, the word Negro is Portuguese for Black, but Preto also is used.

And in Spanish Negro means black too.

Therefore we do have a cultural issue here.

If we were to go another country were the PC term for black people 'black' was deemed racist, how fast would we adapt to never using the word black?

Of course this doesn't excuse Suarez as he had been here quite a while, and was using it in a negative sense, plus the rest of the Evra trial information.

However it would excuse a tourist or Portugese/Spanish national, since who are we to say our language/terms are superior and 'the correct one' to other countries?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I thought we were talking about Suarez since his language would be Spanish. My bad Rob. However, in Portuguese, I believe the words "Preto", and "negro" are used to describe anything that is black.
Preto and negro are synonymous indeed (for the colour black), but if you're referring to the race of a person preto is highly offensive and no one uses it without a racist undertone.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Preto and negro are synonymous indeed (for the colour black), but if you're referring to the race of a person preto is highly offensive and no one uses it without a racist undertone.
And Negro? Is that used without racist undertones?

Proud_Lyon

Banned Cnut
And Negro? Is that used without racist undertones?
Well, if you watch any American film, the word "negro", is used a great deal from the point of view of an Afro-American. This was probably due to the Mexican influence in the United States over the years, and they adopted that insult to use it as a friendly term. So, when we hear it over in the United Kingdom, we immediately think it is a racist insult because in effect, it is, but it is a typical Spanish adjective that is used on a daily basis and it can be shocking should anyone hear the word being used on a daily basis in any Spanish or indeed, Portuguese speaking country.