Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Give him a 10 match ban and a deduct the team points for that aswell. What an absolute looser, it's like a wealthy bilionaire throwing a hissy fit on a golf course because his ball is not properly polished.
Yeah how dare he be offended by racism. Moron.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At least Mario can spell 'loser'.

Raw

Wouldn't give that tosser the satisfaction of getting replies. Clearly just decided to go on a bit of a WUM with his newly created account.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His teammates come out of this looking very bad. They obviously don't care about the abuse and just want to get on with their game.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
To make it even clearer how serious is the phenomenon of intolerance of fans organized in stadiums, comes the stance of the head of the other side of Verona, who, interviewed this morning by a Venetian station, said verbatim: "Balotelli is Italian because he has Italian citizenship, but can never be entirely Italian.

Luca Castellini - who in addition to being head of the Hellas curve is also coordinator of Forza Nuova for Northern Italy - then rejected the accusations of racism, declaring that the choirs during Verona - Brescia were addressed to Balotelli as a footballer because, in his opinion, "We also have it (Verona, ed) a ne**o in the team, which scored yesterday, and all Verona has clapped his hands.

Yes, he said "no-no". And when faced with the interviewer's challenge, Cartellini replied in a contemptuous manner: "Are there any problems in saying the word ne** o? Is the Segre Committee picking me up because I call a ne** o? Do I get to ring the bell?".

He also tweeted claiming that Balotelli tried to exploit what he calls the "black pass" (which according to him is that "the n word is always right"), but he's "more dumb than n word".

Tostao_80

To make it even clearer how serious is the phenomenon of intolerance of fans organized in stadiums, comes the stance of the head of the other side of Verona, who, interviewed this morning by a Venetian station, said verbatim: "Balotelli is Italian because he has Italian citizenship, but can never be entirely Italian.

Luca Castellini - who in addition to being head of the Hellas curve is also coordinator of Forza Nuova for Northern Italy - then rejected the accusations of racism, declaring that the choirs during Verona - Brescia were addressed to Balotelli as a footballer because, in his opinion, "We also have it (Verona, ed) a ne**o in the team, which scored yesterday, and all Verona has clapped his hands.

Yes, he said "no-no". And when faced with the interviewer's challenge, Cartellini replied in a contemptuous manner: "Are there any problems in saying the word ne** o? Is the Segre Committee picking me up because I call a ne** o? Do I get to ring the bell?".

He also tweeted claiming that Balotelli tried to exploit what he calls the "black pass" (which according to him is that "the n word is always right"), but he's "more dumb than n word".
Damn, are things really that bad in Italy? No doubt this imbecile isn't the only one with these pre-historic views. He uses the word "which", when describing the black player in his team who scored, not the word "who". Literally describing him like he's an animal.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Don't mean to be the devil's lawyer, but negro in Italy, Spain or Portugal just means black. It is not pejorative or slang, it is actually a normal word.
Shirley Verrett was known as the Callas Negra and that was actually a compliment.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Damn, are things really that bad in Italy? No doubt this imbecile isn't the only one with these pre-historic views. He uses the word "which", when describing the black player in his team who scored, not the word "who". Literally describing him like he's an animal.
So according to him Balotelli is following in the lead of other blacks by playing the victim. 23 years ago Hellas Verona had a sign which had negro on it and the remaining words were in Italian so I didn't know what they meant. Behind the sign were people dressed in kkk outfit, and in front of the sign was a black mannequin getting
hanged

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Don't mean to be the devil's lawyer, but negro in Italy, Spain or Portugal just means black. It is not pejorative or slang, it is actually a normal word.
Shirley Verrett was known as the Callas Negra and that was actually a compliment.
nah, that scumbag is the head for northern italy of a known, growing neofascist movement, not an ultras (who are pussies in his mega macho nazi mind) and that n. word coming from his mouth is actually meant a la kkk... that unfortunately adds to balotelli historically behaving as an utter cretin whenever he can, so that mediatic polarisation murks the underlying intolerance problem and nothing again will happen tomorrow at official level.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
nah, that scumbag is the head for northern italy of a known, growing neofascist movement, not an ultras (who are pussies in his mega macho nazi mind) and that n. word coming from his mouth is actually meant a la kkk... that unfortunately adds to balotelli historically behaving as an utter cretin whenever he can, so that mediatic polarisation murks the underlying intolerance problem and nothing again will happen tomorrow at official level.
The far right and left movements are almost always associated with firms and ultras since ever.
The difference now is that since Italy has a strong far right representation on the parliament, they feel they can have that behavior and get away with it.

But the word negro itself is almost harmless (I say almost because of the context, as you said and well in your post), and there are dozens of top of the charts songs, poems, book titles, news articles, etc, who use it freely.

And the odd thing is : one just needs to look at how Italy as a country was reborn to realize how insulting would be for King Vitor Emmanuel to see something like this. Jews were actually providing funding for risorgimento armies to help the Italian reunification.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Full disclosure: this guy(castellini) is notoriously a neo-nazi

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No it doesn't in Italian. The word is nero. Negro is the equivalent of the n-word

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No it doesn't in Italian. The word is nero. Negro is the equivalent of the n-word
My bad then. Thought the word was the same in Italian too. In Portuguese or Spanish is not a negative word per se, as people can easily check by a simple Google search.

UpWithRivers

Why do they play there? They should all get together and file a lawsuit cancelling their contracts and walking out like was it Porto players?
Its up to the clubs and the country and the FA to take a stand. Just set up cameras and give life bans to anyone shouting racial abuse. It cant be that hard. If the FA start banning Italian teams from Europe and National teams then they will soon get their act together and its not just Italy. All of them. Its 2019 - why are we still talking about racism.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
My bad then. Thought the word was the same in Italian too. In Portuguese or Spanish is not a negative word per se, as people can easily check by a simple Google search.
It used to be just an alternative spelling of nero. Then we got americanized, picked up the n-word and negro became our equivalent

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Why do they play there? They should all get together and file a lawsuit cancelling their contracts and walking out like was it Porto players?
Its up to the clubs and the country and the FA to take a stand. Just set up cameras and give life bans to anyone shouting racial abuse. It cant be that hard. If the FA start banning Italian teams from Europe and National teams then they will soon get their act together and its not just Italy. All of them. Its 2019 - why are we still talking about racism.
This is the key issue here. Not to mention that most far right base themselves on nazi ideologies which openly benefits elites, leaving the middle class Joe pretty much in the same situation.

But the truth is we didn't evolve that much and you can easily check that when governments have to impose quotes of women and minorities in XXI century, because otherwise their chances of getting a job/promotion are much slimmer, as anyone can check by EU stats.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
It used to be just an alternative spelling of nero. Then we got americanized, picked up the n-word and negro became our equivalent
I think bad apples are everywhere, but my experience in Italy actually showed me that the regular Italian is a kind person. Even if they don't understand you, they will try their best.
This political positions in southern European countries is mindless, because we are very mixed in terms of DNA that almost no Italian, portuguese or Spanish would fit the pure race ideology.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think bad apples are everywhere, but my experience in Italy actually showed me that the regular Italian is a kind person. Even if they don't understand you, they will try their best.
This political positions in southern European countries is mindless, because we are very mixed in terms of DNA that almost no Italian, portuguese or Spanish would fit the pure race ideology.
let this particular case go, if neo-nazis are given exposure without anything happening we are in big trouble indeed!

AFC NimbleThumb

Ups my mistake. Anyway horrible comments, he even said fans used to call him a gypsy and so what.
Wasn’t trying to be a ‘d***’, just know how this place is for fact checking so wanted to be the first to do it & so politely.

I get s*** wrong ALL the time, never the one to point a finger.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
let this particular case go, if neo-nazis are given exposure without anything happening we are in big trouble indeed!
It's all on local authorities, though. But bare in mind that this can only be fixed from "grass roots", by including more civical education on school system.
Legal punishment per se won't erase the problem : it will just hide it. But we have to start from somewhere, I guess.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It's all on local authorities, though. But bare in mind that this can only be fixed from "grass roots", by including more civical education on school system.
Legal punishment per se won't erase the problem : it will just hide it. But we have to start from somewhere, I guess.
I mean, there is a nasty progression ongoing. You can see from the La Repubblica video how ultras operate: they provoke oppos where they know it hurts (with Balo, incidentally, his skin colour because he is sensible to that) in order to interfere with the game (in fact, Balo stops playing a possible good attacking chance). Balo’s reaction goes beyond that in that he plays again his beloved victim card (in fact, teammates and oppos on the pitch react to his escalation of the “well-known behavioural code” do-not-interact-directly-with-ultras-on-the-stands) and blows the entire matter out of proportion (that was, initially, 15-20 cretins interfering with the game). Following that, every Joe and his dog worldwide express their opinion without considering the context or just to add fire to fire, as we can see here on the Caf again, with everyone telling their own version of the story. In the end, politicians enter the scene and even neo-nazis scumbags feel entitled to promote their most repellent sh*t in public for their own agenda.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some players just don't have interesting offers other than in Italy. Some players, like Balotelli are playing in their home country

Ban

Wasn’t trying to be a ‘d***’, just know how this place is for fact checking so wanted to be the first to do it & so politely.

I get s*** wrong ALL the time, never the one to point a finger.
No problem man at all. Just read an article in one Croatian paper quickly, wasn't even aware who played who but his comments struck my mind imidiately.

I do it all the time with Athletic, Atletico. :D

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I mean, there is a nasty progression ongoing. You can see from the La Repubblica video how ultras operate: they provoke oppos where they know it hurts (with Balo, incidentally, his skin colour because he is sensible to that) in order to interfere with the game (in fact, Balo stops playing a possible good attacking chance). Balo’s reaction goes beyond that in that he plays again his beloved victim card (in fact, teammates and oppos on the pitch react to his escalation of the “well-known behavioural code” do-not-interact-directly-with-ultras-on-the-stands) and blows the entire matter out of proportion (that was, initially, 15-20 cretins interfering with the game). Following that, every Joe and his dog worldwide express their opinion without considering the context or just to add fire to fire, as we can see here on the Caf again, with everyone telling their own version of the story. In the end, politicians enter the scene and even neo-nazis scumbags feel entitled to promote their most repellent sh*t in public for their own agenda.
Those are the ones who will most benefit from this: the politicians who will stand and condemn the whole situation publicly (even if they don't do nothing other than words) just to gain some public sympathy and more followers, while the "not so much disguised" neo-nazis will take advantage to use events like this as a platform to summon people to join their movement, and try to set themselves as against the system, when they actually were once part of the system and they f***ed up the entire Europe twice in one single century.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Let's be honest it's probably a PR move to gain international sympathy, but it's still a good thing if clubs acknowledge the issue and position themselves openly.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Let's be honest it's probably a PR move to gain international sympathy, but it's still a good thing if clubs acknowledge the issue and position themselves openly.
Makes sense from an historical POV, even though I agree is clearly a PR stunt. But Roma vs Lazio rivalry is also politcal, as you can check by several articles online. Will post one bellow as example.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-is-one-of-world-footballs-fiercest-rivalries

This doesn't mean they don't have Far Right ultras, though.

NotThatSoph

Balo’s reaction goes beyond that in that he plays again his beloved victim card (in fact, teammates and oppos on the pitch react to his escalation of the “well-known behavioural code” do-not-interact-directly-with-ultras-on-the-stands) and blows the entire matter out of proportion
Charming, attacking Balotelli for this incident.

Superden

this is just normalisation of the far right in Italy and other european countries. just have to look at some of the rhetoric coming from the politicians playing on the whole 'identity' narrative, railing against the migrant hordes of brown and black people with their islamist agendas......obviously were not far behind in the UK when we have a PM whose happy to throw around racist epithets and populist leaders happy to stoke nationalism into jingoism.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
That guy just loves to play the "leave us Italians and our structural racism alone" victim card. Happened earlier in this thread too.

NinjaFletch

You are an absolute moron.

Superden

Im sorry....his skin colour is incidental in this case? and you think he plays his 'beloved victim card' in response? did you help draft that letter from the ultras for lukaku per chance. whether its one person or ten, or a hundred thousand, balotelli has every right to be feel agreived at being abused racially, and thus being the victim. everything else is just noise to try and deflect from that.

neo-nazi scumbags gain traction in an environment where this kind of abuse is normalised, or explained away, that is how the far right have always operated and grown. by buying into this you yourself Bepi are promulgting the very same neo-nazi ideas that you claim to abhor.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Is this guy for real? Wow!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That guy just loves to play the "leave us Italians and our structural racism alone" victim card. Happened earlier in this thread too.
If it wasn't for feeling so sorry for the black players who have to experience that rubbish, the decent Italians who want to see and play good football in their country and a residual admiration for their great clubs I'd be tempted to invite them to crack on with a whites-only pariah league which no-one of halfway decent character would touch with a barge pole and see how that goes for them.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You are an absolute moron.
Im sorry....his skin colour is incidental in this case? and you think he plays his 'beloved victim card' in response? did you help draft that letter from the ultras for lukaku per chance. whether its one person or ten, or a hundred thousand, balotelli has every right to be feel agreived at being abused racially, and thus being the victim. everything else is just noise to try and deflect from that.

neo-nazi scumbags gain traction in an environment where this kind of abuse is normalised, or explained away, that is how the far right have always operated and grown. by buying into this you yourself Bepi are promulgting the very same neo-nazi ideas that you claim to abhor.
any problem, folks? These are the facts, you can have your own opinions

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Here we go, we have a late contender for most foolish post of 2019.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe wrong thread but theme is the same. What is the story with Kiko Casilla? What did he said to Leko? Anybody knows? I can't find it on DM

Ramos

He's been doing that the entire thread through. Loads of people have explained it to him, but he just keeps repeating the same stupidities thinking they sound clever.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
any problem, folks? These are the facts, you can have your own opinions
Can you evidentially prove that Bolo used a victim card rather then actually being upset? You have presented your subjectieve view as an absolute truth, which is ‘almost’ borderline narcistic..

You can also use logic and rational and recognize a certain pattern of behavior from the players who get racial slurs thrown at them, which consists of them either not wanting to play anymore or it affecting their game which is totally understandable. Have people ever used the ‘victim’ outside of football in real life , sure, it would be naive to claim the opposite. However, to write such a lazy post and then also present it as a ‘fact’ is wide of the mark. Shall i throw the fallacy of ignorance in this too?

Last edited:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Can you evidentially prove that Bolo used a victim card rather then actually being upset? You have presented your subjectieve view as an absolute truth, which is ‘almost’ borderline narcistic..
not upset at all, just dividing facts from opinions, in fact the situation now is so overblown every part is milking its own business, verona mayor included willing to sue anyone out there claiming that verona is a racist city; this is an international forum with its own vibe and everyone is rightly entitled to express their view but just ignoring the context makes for fantasies, wishful thinking and distortions of the facts