Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

KillVearn

Supports
Juventus
I try to go to Italy every year to eat and I'm always struck at how nearly all the black people I see around are either street performers/vendors or homeless.
That's although because they are mostly Africans who came in seeking asylum and often illegaly. It has nothing to do with racism perse. It is very difficult to enter legally if you're not from the EU, but even if you get caught nothing happens(in certain cases citizenships were granted because the applicant proved through a court summon that he/she stayed illegaly in the country for more than 5 years.)

Last edited:

abundance

Supports
Inter
(in certain cases citizenships were granted because the applicant proved through a court summon that he/she stayed illegaly in the country for more than 5 years.)
mmmm citation needed?

I find this highly unlikely - ie, proof of notification of a court summon is a good way to demonstrate you were actually residing in the country at a given time, and there are many situations where you can register for residency without a valid residency permit, but you really can't apply for citizenship without proof of continous valid residency permit for the requested period (4 years for EU citizens, 5 years for stateless persons and recognized refugees, 10 years for non-EU citizens).

KillVearn

Supports
Juventus
mmmm citation needed?

I find this highly unlikely - ie, proof of notification of a court summon is a good way to demonstrate you were actually residing in the country at a given time, and there are many situations where you can register for residency without a valid residency permit, but you really can't apply for citizenship without proof of continous valid residency permit for the requested period (4 years for EU citizens, 5 years for stateless persons and recognized refugees, 10 years for non-EU citizens).
Never underestimate the absurdity of the Italian law.
Here's your source(hoping you'd understand Italian):
search on youtube Davigo sull'immigrazione(he has been one of the country top magistrates for years, unfortunately I am still forbidden to post media).
Not only he reports what I just told you but he also adds that it is a quirk of the Italian system to be excessively strict and in the meantime ridicolously forgiving.

You can fetch the part you wish to hear at 6.40, however the whole interview is quite outstanding and will give you a portrait you probably wouldn't expect as a foreigner.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Pardon my ignorance, but was the racist abuse the chanting they did towards the end of the video? There was one person making monkey chants, which is ofcourse horrible, but it didn't seem like other sections of the crowd in that video were joining in that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Pardon my ignorance, but was the racist abuse the chanting they did towards the end of the video? There was one person making monkey chants, which is ofcourse horrible, but it didn't seem like other sections of the crowd in that video were joining in that.
Pardon my ignorance, but why do you have ‘88’ in your username?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pardon my ignorance, but why do you have ‘88’ in your username?
:lol:

It was an honest question, not got a second saying racism isn't prevalent in Italian football and Lukaku, amongst others, hasn't been subject to it. Was just asking within this video in particular.

dr.twinny

Is that Cuadrado who was begging the ref to card Lukaku, then went to Lukaku starting a shoving match? What a cnut.

204Red

That is incompetent refereeing at its finest... even if you take the racist element away (and I'm not saying there wasn't despicable chanting throughout the match)... there is nothing in Lukaku does in celebrating that last minute match winning goal that warrants a 2nd yellow card, if an Italian player reacts the same way - NO Card.

When you factor the racist element in, it has to make you wonder if the referee isn't either openly or latently racist for reacting that way.

I wonder what Romelu's buddy PP has to say about his own fans?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
:lol:

It was an honest question, not got a second saying racism isn't prevalent in Italian football and Lukaku, amongst others, hasn't been subject to it. Was just asking within this video in particular.
Most likely it was going on all night. So that video in particular probably doesn’t depict 1% of it. Neither do these, still don’t doubt Lukaku for a second. This happens in Italy all the time.

Rhyme Animal

Most likely it was going on all night. So that video in particular probably doesn’t depict 1% of it. Neither do these, still don’t doubt Lukaku for a second. This happens in Italy all the time.

I always think there’s such a sad irony in the fact that inferior humans who are genuinely closer to ape-dom (tribalistic violence, low intellect, uncivil etc) express their disapproval of other, more advanced humans, by suggesting that THEY’RE an ape…

I’m sure on a deep psychological level there’s some kind of self loathing projection going on, it just seems too ironic.

top1whoisman

Scout
I always think there’s such a sad irony in the fact that inferior humans who are genuinely closer to ape-dom (tribalistic violence, low intellect, uncivil etc) express their disapproval of other, more advanced humans, by suggesting that THEY’RE an ape…

I’m sure on a deep psychological level there’s some kind of self loathing projection going on, it just seems too ironic.
I very much doubt colonisers and enslavers had any resentment towards themselves, and that's where most of modern racism stems from. Simply thinking that people with darker colored skin shouldn't have the same access to happiness as white oneself. Let alone play football and earn millions doing it.

Rhyme Animal

I very much doubt colonisers and enslavers had any resentment towards themselves, and that's where most of modern racism stems from. Simply thinking that people with darker colored skin shouldn't have the same access to happiness as white oneself. Let alone play football and earn millions doing it.
I agree. But in this instance the mega wealthy are being abused rather than doing the abusing… it’s completely flipped.

It would be like if the slaves chanted at their owners and accused them of being slaves…

Poor, thick, racist hooligans aren’t akin to slave owners, or Nietzschian Ubermen - they’re akin to apes, thus the irony of them directing ape noises (from a cage) at physically and intellectually superior, incredibly wealthy men.

lolok

I know some really smart people that are bigoted as F. I know some dumb people who are the nicest people in the world. Racism has to do with culture, not intellect.

Says a lot about you inferring that low intellect people are inferior humans. Interesting. I'll tell you one thing-- I'd rather hang out and be friends with a kind, dumb person vs being friends with a smart psycopath dbag. In this example, I'd consider the latter the inferior human even though they are smarter.

Rhyme Animal

I know some really smart people that are bigoted as F. I know some dumb people who are the nicest people in the world. Racism has to do with culture, not intellect.

Says a lot about you inferring that low intellect people are inferior humans. Interesting. I'll tell you one thing-- I'd rather hang out and be friends with a kind, dumb person vs being friends with a smart psycopath dbag. In this example, I'd consider the latter the inferior human even though they are smarter.
I see.

In this instance we’re talking about people who make ape noises at black people playing football…

I view those people as inferior to all the guys on the pitch (and to all those in the stadium who aren’t doing that).

Guys on the pitch - successful, physically incredible, wildly wealthy.

Guys making ape noises in the stands - unsuccessful compared to guys on pitch, physically lesser to guys on pitch, dirt poor compared to guys on pitch, plus obviously thick as shit and uncivilised.

I think it’s a stretch to suggest they’re not inferior, don’t you? :)

top1whoisman

Scout
Very much this. Not all racists are those "they took our jobs" type, there's plenty of highly-educated doctors, professors, lawyers, politicians, business owners etc. who are part of neo-nazi groups and, among other things, abuse black footballers from the stands.

Rhyme Animal

Very much this. Not all racists are those "they took our jobs" type, there's plenty of highly-educated doctors, professors, lawyers, politicians, business owners etc. who are part of neo-nazi groups and, among other things, abuse black footballers from the stands.
Did you watch the actual videos being commented on…?

Fat, young chavs in Stoney jumpers making ape noises showing their faces on video. I doubt there’s any high flyers in there.

And even if there were, I’d still view them as thick bastards and losers at life if that’s how they choose to spend their time.

The larger point was that there’s an obvious irony to a group of people ACTUALLY acting like apes, while accusing others of being apes… added irony in that the ‘others’ are vastly more successful and civilised than them.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That's although because they are mostly Africans who came in seeking asylum and often illegaly. It has nothing to do with racism perse. It is very difficult to enter legally if you're not from the EU, but even if you get caught nothing happens(in certain cases citizenships were granted because the applicant proved through a court summon that he/she stayed illegaly in the country for more than 5 years.)
It's a lot to do with racism, please stop talking nonsense.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
All racist people are stupid to a degree because racism is objectively irrational. But there's many different kinds of intelligence and stupidity. Just because someone is highly educated, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are emotionally intelligent or socially intelligent or interpersonally intelligent.

top1whoisman

Scout
All racist people are stupid to a degree because racism is objectively irrational. But there's many different kinds of intelligence and stupidity. Just because someone is highly educated, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are emotionally intelligent or socially intelligent or interpersonally intelligent.
That’s very well said. I just think it’s a bit lazy and gives the racist agenda a bit of a free ride classing all of them simply ”stupid” or "crazy". There’s much more to it than lack of intelligence or mental health.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
I wonder what Romelu's buddy PP has to say about his own fans?
Why? You think he's a hypocrite if he doesn't call them out publicly? How about Juventus' white players even once condemning racism, let's start there. Don't understand the point of that part of your post.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

The person who you are replying to was trying to express his disgust at the racists. Why are you trying so hard to equivocate and effectively defend them?

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal

Of course it is. I hate it when people try to excuse it. And btw most Italians are very accepting towards Ukrainian refugees (which is to be commended) but as soon as it is Africans, it is an entirely different story.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
But it isn’t nonsense. My girlfriend is Italian and I’ve spent a lot of time in the country. Italy receives comparatively little legitimate immigration, and most arrivals from Africa and Asia enter the country irregularly, i.e. without any documentation.

Almost 40,000 people have entered Italy by irregular means in the first four months of this year alone, and it has the same issues that many Western countries are having in handling such large numbers. Most do not speak the language or have a great willingness to do so, are poorly integrated; hence end up working as street sellers etc.

More specifically, the racism which is routinely evident in the stands up and down the country is abhorrent and inexcusable and must be so dehumanising for the affected players. The level disinterest or unwillingness to tackle it by the Italian authorities is shameful.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That’s very well said. I just think it’s a bit lazy and gives the racist agenda a bit of a free ride classing all of them simply ”stupid” or "crazy". There’s much more to it than lack of intelligence or mental health.
What more to it is there?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
But it isn’t nonsense. My girlfriend is Italian and I’ve spent a lot of time in the country. Italy receives comparatively little legitimate immigration, and most arrivals from Africa and Asia enter the country irregularly, i.e. without any documentation.

Almost 40,000 people have entered Italy by irregular means in the first four months of this year alone, and it has the same issues that many Western countries are having in handling such large numbers. Most do not speak the language or have a great willingness to do so, are poorly integrated; hence end up working as street sellers etc.

More specifically, the racism which is routinely evident in the stands up and down the country is abhorrent and inexcusable and must be so dehumanising for the affected players. The level disinterment or unwillingness to tackle it is shameful.
The racism in the country affects every aspect of their treatment of black people, including legal and illegal immigrants.

204Red

Why? You think he's a hypocrite if he doesn't call them out publicly? How about Juventus' white players even once condemning racism, let's start there. Don't understand the point of that part of your post.
Actually I was thinking that the two were supposedly close friends when they were both at United and I wondered why i hadn't heard from him supporting his friend (perhaps they aren't friends anymore)

As for Juve's white players, you are correct, they should be calling out their own supporters (and the referee) for this bullshit.

As for how players (and team leaders) should react in these situations, I'll point to an article in the players tribune from Kevin Prince Boateng

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/a...lVQSWKbfwR8RZrSn-atf3Cr0TaKcpRXFx7Ee1qABfzxmw

"But when I heard those monkey noises in January 2013, all the pain, all the sadness — it all came out. I snapped. I didn’t care if I got in trouble. I had worked all my life to play for one of the biggest teams in the world, and now I was going to be treated like I was when I was a kid?? I just went, No. I’m done with this. I’m going to fight these guys.

As I walked off, a lot of people stood up and applauded me. And then — and this is the key — my teammates walked off with me. Not just the black ones. All of them. I still get goose bumps talking about that. When I got to the dressing room, I took off my clothes just to show everyone that I was not going back out there. The referee came in and asked us, “Do you want to continue playing?” And at that moment Ambrosini stood up and said, “If Prince doesn’t play, no one plays.”

Chapeau"

Sadly the lesson doesn't seem learned

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Of course it is. I hate it when people try to excuse it. And btw most Italians are very accepting towards Ukrainian refugees (which is to be commended) but as soon as it is Africans, it is an entirely different story.
There you go