Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

Exactly this.

Unfortunately it takes these blatant in-your-face racist incidents for people to actually see this.
2 years ago when a good portion of our fans were calling Lukaku Stormzy or Heskey and saying he had a 22-inch penis, it was much harder for people to understand that racism is normalised within society.
Ahh yes and people were saying "oh it's just a song" :rolleyes:

Red Stone

That's gonna be a feckin' yikes from me. Italy has some serious issues.

Fracture90

I mean how in the earth did this guy not think that saying something like that wouldn't be deemed as racism? It's rather idiotic really.

We need an rvn

The guy is talking about how good Lukaku is 1v1 and says there's no way to stop him. He is advising the defenders to offer bananas to Lukaku to eat so he would get distracted. Pretty clear if you ask me.
You're clutching, he was saying that was a way to stop "distract" them not give them more energy
Only read that one line and hence wondered if it could have been taken out of context and he was having a go about Lukuka's effort / fitness. Instead he's praising him and saying way to stop him is offer banana's???

That's a bit fecked up

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Wow, must be shit for all those lads on here defending the racism in Italy, sayin shit like it isn't really racism and ol' Luciano Passirani just comes along and buries you all with one line on national TV.

I guess that's what happens when you try to normalise racism and stick your heads in the sand.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Exactly this.

Unfortunately it takes these blatant in-your-face racist incidents for people to actually see this.
2 years ago when a good portion of our fans were calling Lukaku Stormzy or Heskey and saying he had a 22-inch penis, it was much harder for people to understand that racism is normalised within society.
To be fair, he does look like Stormzy. They even have the same height and almost the same build.

UncleBob

Exactly this.

I'm confused at how these two are racist incidents. It's not like they used a picture of a random black person, it happened because their similarities have been debated in the past (which Stormzy commented and agreed with a year before: “Yeah, I’m not gonna lie. Every time I see it I just look at him and I think, yeah you do mate.”), newspaper didn't doublecheck the photo they used and got it wrong.

Didn't see half the fecking world cry racism when every newspaper, and even the police, joked about David Schwimmers lookalike stealing beer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To be fair, he does look like Stormzy. They even have the same height and almost the same build.
I'm confused at how these two are racist incidents. It's not like they used a picture of a random black person, it happened because their similarities have been debated in the past (which Stormzy commented and agreed with a year before: “Yeah, I’m not gonna lie. Every time I see it I just look at him and I think, yeah you do mate.”), newspaper didn't doublecheck the photo they used and got it wrong.

Didn't see half the fecking world cry racism when every newspaper, and even the police, joked about David Schwimmers lookalike stealing beer.
Cool.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I mean how in the earth did this guy not think that saying something like that wouldn't be deemed as racism? It's rather idiotic really.
That's what stands out. We've had incidents in the UK when people have been recorded when they thought the cameras were off. However, this guy was so lacking in awareness that he felt like he could say this when he knew the cameras were rolling in. Its the lack of effort to even hide it that stands out. Goes to show in his circles that kind of language is totally normalised. He did not even care about the consequences, he didn't even think there would be any.

Old Ma Crow

Reminds me of Big Ron’s comments here all those years ago. Racism might have been suppressed over here in the meeja but football culture doesn’t seem to have changed enough with Neanderthal fans still dragging their knuckles and being gobshites. So Lukaku’s experiences have just highlighted Italian football’s racist issues?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Reminds me of Big Ron’s comments here all those years ago. Racism might have been suppressed over here in the meeja but football culture doesn’t seem to have changed enough with Neanderthal fans still dragging their knuckles and being gobshites. So Lukaku’s experiences have just highlighted Italian football’s racist issues?
About to post the same sentiments.

I also recall Big Ron talking about a Cameroon player's mum being 'up some bloody tree'. I suppose being the 1970s/early 80s it was deemed excusable

Ramos

In a way it's good such a high profile player like him went there. They'll have to clean house now, change their mentalities a little bit.

Maybe twenty years ago without internet or social media a line like that would have go unnoticed. Now they know it's going out to the whole world in minutes. Evidently he won't appear on their show again.

UncleBob

In a way it's good such a high profile player like him went there. They'll have to clean house now, change their mentalities a little bit.
Italy has been ridiculed for some time now, plenty of high profile cases over the years.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Kessie racially abused in Verona, which isn't even news honestly. Every black player will be racially abused over there, city itself is Salvinilandia. Now hellas ultras, they take it a step further by being neo-nazis

Ramos

Italy has been ridiculed for some time now, plenty of high profile cases over the years.
True, but i feel Romelu is on another level than Asamoah, Kean or Koulibaly in terms of being a famous football personality. Much more recognizable outside of Italy.

Or maybe i'm just wishful thinking.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
True, but i feel Romelu is on another level than Asamoah, Kean or Koulibaly in terms of being a famous football personality. Much more recognizable outside of Italy.

Or maybe i'm just wishful thinking.
I think it's the fact that he came from the Premier League to Serie A. English media were always gonna follow his career there closely and obviously racist incidents involving will be more highlighted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well, he knows that it was racist because it was meant to be racist.

Ainu

Well, he knows that it was racist because it was meant to be racist.
It's just bizarre that he drops that line on live tv. It's as if, in his mind, such casual racism would still be deemed as acceptable to the wider public. Or perhaps he thought racism is still acceptable when you frame it as a bad joke or something. Either way it's worrying and depressing that someone can still think like that in 2019.

Denis79

I don't understand how some deem themselves superior because of their skin colour. My brain just can't compute the thinking behind it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't understand how some deem themselves superior because of their skin colour. My brain just can't compute the thinking behind it.
Well, it has little to do with skin colour. It's about culture, ethnicities and in general geographical origins. If you pay attention you will notice that the condescension is everywhere, look a how people in Europe and America often talk about Africa, Asia and South America. Or even more insidious look at how people talk about southern Europe.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I also recall Big Ron talking about a Cameroon player's mum being 'up some bloody tree'. I suppose being the 1970s/early 80s it was deemed excusable
Seriously, what the f*ck are MUTV doing employing him?

Denis79

Well, it has little to do with skin colour. It's about culture, ethnicities and in general geographical origins. If you pay attention you will notice that the condescension is everywhere, look a how people in Europe and America often talk about Africa, Asia and South America. Or even more insidious look at how people talk about southern Europe.
My work takes me everywhere and the ethnocentricity you mention I have to agree is more prominent the further up in Europe I travelled. I don't mean to step on any toes, just sharing my experiences.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not from what i remember him saying

He's obvs joking
Whilst on the Brunch, Stormzy was asked about the likeness, and even he had to admit that it was uncanny:

"Aaaah! Lukaku! Romelu Lukaku! Do you know what's so mad, yeah? I'm not gonna lie - every time I see him I just look at him and think: 'Yeah you dooo mate!' We just look the same..."