Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
feck me. So if he didn’t want to be racially abused, he should’ve stayed at home.

They’re not even trying to hide it anymore :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have met three different people (Nigerian and two Ghanaians) whose family left Italy with racism playing a major part in their decision. These are well educated guys in high paying jobs.

passing-wind

I don't see why black players would bother playing in league to be honest. The fact that the governing bodies do very little to stamp it out speaks volumes about how it's regarded by the nation from its very infrastructures. It sounds like racism in Italy stems from a "cultured" influence and when you integrate that level of stupidity / ignorance with sport you get what's in the headlines.

To answer what the punishment should be any decent human with half a brain to function, would impose that a lifetime ban should be the minimal punishment.

Fridge chutney

I have met three different people (Nigerian and two Ghanaians) whose family left Italy with racism playing a major part in their decision. These are well educated guys in high paying jobs.
But this thread's been telling us that racism isn't really racism in Italy, in Italy racism = goading!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't see why black players would bother playing in league to be honest. The fact that the governing bodies do very little to stamp it out speaks volumes about how it's regarded by the nation from its very infrastructures. It sounds like racism in Italy stems from a "cultured" influence and when you integrate that level of stupidity / ignorance with sport you get what's in the headlines.

To answer what the punishment should be any decent human with half a brain to function, would impose that a lifetime ban should be the minimal punishment.
For some it might be their home, some may be unaware of the issues, others may be unwilling be intimidated by racism or welcome the opportunity to raise awareness. And of course money/career advancement.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
It's strange how you can be racist when all of your white ultra friends are lowlife scum of the earth. Meanwhile you would think even in the eyes of them cnuts they would meet nice black people. And you still have a sense of superority. Of course they are stupid and insecure but even then. It baffles me.

Uefa should just ban clubs or FA's who sit still and do nothing. But then again it's Uefa.

robinvpersie

'Paddy Nigerian man, paddy Ghanaian man, and his bro paddy'

What's your point? We all have friends now days from Africa, is there a moral to your story or are you just doing a bad Trump impression?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

What's your point? We all have friends now days from Africa, is there a moral to your story or are you just doing a bad Trump impression?
Is he doing a bad Trump impression? What are you writing here? I think you caused me to have a stroke.

His point is clear as day. He knows three people that left Italy largely because of racism that they experienced.

Did you misread Italy as Ireland and turned on attack mode or something?

robinvpersie

Is he doing a bad Trump impression? What are you writing here? I think you caused me to have a stroke.

His point is clear as day. He knows three people that left Italy largely because of racism that they experienced.

Did you misread Italy as Ireland and turned on attack mode or something?

Not at all, the point I was trying to make (whilst trying to be funny) was that in this modern world we all know somebody who left their homeland due to prejudice or religous reasons etc....

The fact he had to mention they are well educated with well paying jobs made me question why he mentioned such a thing..

Do the thousands of homeless people he comes across begging every day in the city not habe the same valid reason for leaving????

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not at all, the point I was trying to make (whilst trying to be funny) was that in this modern world we all know somebody who left their homeland due to prejudice or religous reasons etc....

The fact he had to mention they are well educated with well paying jobs made me question why he mentioned such a thing..

Do the thousands of homeless people he comes across begging every day in the city not habe the same valid reason for leaving????
Well educated people are generally less racist is why and by pointing that out that they are well educated is suggesting that it doesn't matter which facet of life you look at in Italy, there will still be overbearing racism.

I don't personally know anyone that left his home country because of prejudice or religious reasons but I know of refugees. These refugees are coming from war or famine torn countries, not fecking Italy. Even though I would know anyone it wouldn't make a lick of difference. We can all see how openly racist this all is.

robinvpersie

Well educated people are generally less racist is why and by pointing that out that they are well educated is suggesting that it doesn't matter which facet of life you look at in Italy, there will still be overbearing racism.

I don't personally know anyone that left his home country because of prejudice or religious reasons but I know of refugees. These refugees are coming from war or famine torn countries, not fecking Italy. Even though I would know anyone it wouldn't make a lick of difference. We can all see how openly racist this all is.
Your an idiot.. in the same sentence you say nobody leaves a country for racist or prejudice reasons, then go on to say they leave because of war or famine.....

Hate to burst your bubble, but any refugee you know that fled because of WAR are directly impacted on this issue. Seems you know them so well, ask why the war started.. If it wasnt RELIGIOUS reasons, I'll be shocked. And to take your next point: the mighty word "famine", they dont exist anymore, the only reason people are starved in 2019 is because the people with the food wont feed a certain kind. (Prejudice)

So as well educated as you think you are, I find it pretty embarrassing that someone can say "I met such and such going through so and so" for 5 minutes so know I'm well versed on the issues" and feel like they have a say the feel the pain is embarrassing..

Ask Balotelli why he is an adopted child to a White Italian family in the first place and you might have a grip on the issue, until then. Feck off.. I'm out of replies till tomorrow. So let that sink in....

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Your an idiot.. in the same sentence you say nobody leaves a country for racist or prejudice reasons, then go on to say they leave because of war or famine.....
You must be drunk out of your mind. That's only way your posts here make sense.

OleGunnar20

Hate to burst your bubble, but any refugee you know that fled because of WAR are directly impacted on this issue. Seems you know them so well, ask why the war started.. If it wasnt RELIGIOUS reasons, I'll be shocked. And to take your next point: the mighty word "famine", they dont exist anymore, the only reason people are starved in 2019 is because the people with the food wont feed a certain kind. (Prejudice)

So as well educated as you think you are, I find it pretty embarrassing that someone can say "I met such and such going through so and so" for 5 minutes so know I'm well versed on the issues" and feel like they have a say the feel the pain is embarrassing..

Ask Balotelli why he is an adopted child to a White Italian family in the first place and you might have a grip on the issue, until then. Feck off.. I'm out of replies till tomorrow. So let that sink in....

'You're', an idiot.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This headline is just fecking rotten.
This is...i mean. I'm just going to translate the blurb under the headline

"They learned to respect each other, they both took strong stances against racism, they're the symbols of two teams who have 8 more points than last season. And don't want to lose them"

It's...i mean...it's too lazy and easy to say that we just don't have a clue about the issue, but stuff like this really...

And it's not even an excuse. It's a delicate and important issue, if you want to talk about it fecking inform yourself first. In fact, people should inform themselves period

Dante

Average bang
That would definitely be racist in British and American culture. But I wouldn't be too quick to say it's racist on first principles.

Italy obviously has a different relationship with race from us. I don't think it's fair to impose our particular definition of it on them, as with the case of this headline.

Discrimination leading to unequal rights and opportunities is universally immoral. But everything else incommensurable.

In 100 years, pointing out that someone is black in the UK might be as meaningless as calling them a Geordie today. Italy, for all we know, is missing out that step altogether.

My point is that the booing and monkey chants from the terraces are a problem and they're wrong. But this headline seems like a celebration of race, albeit one that touches a nerve on this side of the English Channel.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, there were probably articles written in the UK and US in the 80s and 70s just like this. They would have been intended as positive stories about how race doesn't stop Jackie Robinson or Cyril Regis from being as good as anyone else. Well meaning, but patronising under today's cultural norms. If we guessed that Italy was at roughly the same stage as Britain in the 70s, I don't think many would disagree. I think the article writer probably meant well. Given the climate over there, this could well be a positive move.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

:houllier:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Are they just "prejudice" on black people, or foreigners in general?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
This is...i mean. I'm just going to translate the blurb under the headline

"They learned to respect each other, they both took strong stances against racism, they're the symbols of two teams who have 8 more points than last season. And don't want to lose them"

It's...i mean...it's too lazy and easy to say that we just don't have a clue about the issue, but stuff like this really...

And it's not even an excuse. It's a delicate and important issue, if you want to talk about it fecking inform yourself first. In fact, people should inform themselves period
Thanks for the translation. That headline comes across as absolutely insane to me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Either you're being obtuse or you are wumming because I don't see why my post needs further explanation. I know very few immigrants in Italy but out of the few I know, three left Italy, largely because they and their families were suffering from racism. Can't you see that's too much of an occurrence in a small sample? I emphasised their education because I wanted people to know these are not guys roaming the streets looking for jobs. They had white-collar jobs.
Your following post calling someone an idiot shows you're not to be taken seriously.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
As a white foreigner in a semi-rural village in Italy, I can say I feel completely accepted by the locals. It helps that I look like most of the Italian women of my age.

However, the social boundaries in general are a little different. My husband is a very tall man and people will openly stare at him, because Italian men here are relatively short. People also say things to you that strangers wouldn't say in the UK.

If I was black, I can see that that might well be something that would be commented upon.

stevoc

:lol:

You must be on a wind up.

Kostur

海尔的老板
From what I've gathered from speaking to one of my Italian students the north looks down on the south (Sicily et al) too, so it does seem that they have shit against just anybody.

As for the title above Jesus :lol: At this point you must think they are just fishing for reactions with shit like this.

Conor

More like RIP.