Radamel Falcao at his peak | How good was he?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How do you rate Falcao at his peak, which I assume was at Atletico Madrid? Seems like that ACL injury in 2013/2014 completely broke him for a while, although he had a revival in 2016/17 with Monaco.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Best striker in the world at his peak. A bunch of questionable transfers ruined his reputation.

A shame we got the post ACL version.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lo Lo Lo Lo Ramadel Falcao

HookedOnAPhelan

Always thought he was overrated to be honest. People tend to blame his ACL injury, but I wasn't the least bit surprised he flopped in the Premier League.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Always thought he was overrated to be honest. People tend to blame his ACL injury, but I wasn't the least bit surprised he flopped in the Premier League.
Took Chelsea apart with ease though in that Super Cup game , 2012 or 2013. Hattrick.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Another of the world class strikers we have had in recent years
Falcao
Ibrahimovic
Cavani
Ronaldo

What a line up!

RC89

Falcao
Ibrahimovic
Cavani
Ronaldo

What a line up!
And all in their twilight years. Let's hope we can get some to spend their best days with us.

miked99

I was so excited when we signed him. And then....that.

Lovely guy though and he genuinely loved being at the club, as did his partner. Such a shame it didn't work out.

El Jefe

Amazing. Was good outside the box but he reminded me of those great strikers of 90s/00s that seemed like they could pull anything off inside the 18 yard box. Left foot, right foot and probably second only to Cristiano in heading in this generation.

El General 1994

Amazing. Was good outside the box but he reminded me of those great strikers of 90s/00s that seemed like they could pull anything off inside the 18 yard box. Left foot, right foot and probably second only to Cristiano in heading in this generation.
IMHO I think the prime Falcao was better than CR7 in the air. But yes - both God tier in that respect.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Generational is fair i suppose.
There were periods were I thought he was almost the third best player behind the you know who, then it all gone to shite.
What a shame.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hattrick v Chelsea in the European super cup...

At his peak top striker up there with the best finishers the game has seen.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He cut his beautiful hair and it was all downhill from there.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Falcao
Ibrahimovic
Cavani
Ronaldo

What a line up!
With the exception of CR7, none of them came here before their respective peaks. We should've bought Cavani or Ibra 5 years before we did.

Charlie Foley

Didn’t he rush back for the 2014 World Cup, and suffered the consequences for the next two seasons?

I remember our first winning streak under LVG that first season, we won 6 in a row, drew at Villa where Falcao scored a lovely header, then he got a great assist in the next match at home to Newcastle. I really made myself believe something was coming together then with the team and with him seeming to find form. And then nothing happened :lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Falcao in 2010-2011 (Porto) and subsequent years in atlético was World class and arguably a top 5 striker in the world.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That game against Chelsea for Atleti was ridiculous.

Was so excited when we signed him despite his injury troubles. Was so gutted he couldn't cut it for us.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was a real shame he got injured for 2014 world cup. Him at his peak would've been interesting given that was strongest Colombian side at a world cup since 90s and they made the QF and narrowly lost to Brazil.

Also should've come to premier league earlier given Atletico Madrid weren't the force they are now when he played for them. You forget he was actually at Chelsea where he was even more of a ghost than at Man. United the previous season.

fps

He was fantastic. Like you had those brilliant 90s strikers, Vialli, Batistuta, etc, his best was up with those.

fps

With the exception of CR7, none of them came here before their respective peaks. We should've bought Cavani or Ibra 5 years before we did.
Cavani would have become a true Man Utd legend had we signed him at 27/28 for sure.

RVN1991

He was a classic #9 with a little bit more in his locker than what might think when it comes to overall ability. A monster for a few seasons at Porto and Atleti.

HookedOnAPhelan

Didn’t he rush back for the 2014 World Cup, and suffered the consequences for the next two seasons?

I remember our first winning streak under LVG that first season, we won 6 in a row, drew at Villa where Falcao scored a lovely header, then he got a great assist in the next match at home to Newcastle. I really made myself believe something was coming together then with the team and with him seeming to find form. And then nothing happened :lol:
That's the usual narrative. Another way of looking at it is that he just couldn't cut it in the Premier League.

Had a couple of very good seasons in Portugal and Spain, then fecked off to Monaco for the money. Instantly regretted it and tried his luck in the Premier League, where he was an abject failure for two different clubs. Fecked off back to France and had a couple of very good seasons before fizzling out.

11 UCL goals
2 Copa America goals
1 World Cup goal

A player who very rarely delivered at the highest level. You wouldn't get that impression from the way people talk about him though.

Even his highlight reels aren't that impressive (some great goals though to be fair).

Stacks

Took Chelsea apart with ease though in that Super Cup game , 2012 or 2013. Hattrick.
Hattrick v Chelsea in the European super cup...

At his peak top striker up there with the best finishers the game has seen.
That game against Chelsea for Atleti was ridiculous.

Was so excited when we signed him despite his injury troubles. Was so gutted he couldn't cut it for us.
only player I've ever witnessed get clout off a super cup game

thedano

Used to like watching him warm up for us never seen a player with positional awareness like that, every cross he finished, he was unbelievable…

then the game kicked off…..

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
About as good as L.Suárez or Agüero; very short peak, though (circa 2011-2014).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
only player I've ever witnessed get clout off a super cup game
Took the money, €14m net at Monaco and trashed his career after Atletico...

Had a great record for Atletico and they even beat Real in copa.

Can see in Falcao, money, ruining both him and football generally in the last 10 years odd.