Radek Vitek

Bigsid

How's his ball playing compared to say ederson.
Nowhere near. Not that kind of keeper. We dont play like City so wouldnt necessarily play with a keeper like that as we have seen recently in our attempts to play out.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How's his ball playing compared to say ederson.
I don't think we should compare a 18 year old keeper with a 29 year old Ederson when it comes to ball playing ability.

Vitek is still developing facets of his game and a more definitive assessment of his abilities will likely be derived in the next two years. He's a keeper in the mould of a Schmeichel/Kahn who is developing the ball playing ability that is required in the game today. Mistakes will be made, which is normal for most keepers, but that's how one improves and develops.

But as far as ball playing ability among our youth keepers goes, the best at this stage looks to be Elyh Harrison who looks very good and is still 16. He joined the club from Stevenage in June this year, and looks a cut above as far as ability on the ball is concerned for his age. YouTube vid below.

Last edited:

Demaw

I thought he played well yesterday and completely agree with @jb8521 below.
I think this kid could be the complete package as a keeper. There's still a long way to go and much to learn, but it wouldn't surprise me if we saw him playing in the EPL some day. Hopefully it's for United but the road is long for a young keeper and many obstacles/hurdles to navigate.

I'm really hoping he can be like that Italian keeper who was a star at 19 Donnaruma.

macheda14

Nowhere near. Not that kind of keeper. We dont play like City so wouldnt necessarily play with a keeper like that as we have seen recently in our attempts to play out.
I mean we quite evidently want to be playing with and Allison/Ederson style keeper, so I wouldn’t take how we’ve been playing as any sort of evidence.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Awesome! Not in first team yet?
It's difficult for a goalkeeper to break into the first team at such a young age. The position is probably the most difficult one to integrate a young player in. I think it might be best if he goes on loan to a league two club at some point and we assess from there. A couple of years on loan would really help his development. And when he's around 21/22 years old with several loans under his belt, then a decision will likely be made on his immediate future.

city-puma

It's difficult for a goalkeeper to break into the first team at such a young age. The position is probably the most difficult one to integrate a young player in. I think it might be best if he goes on loan to a league two club at some point and we assess from there. A couple of years on loan would really help his development. And when he's around 21/22 years old with several loans under his belt, then a decision will likely be made on his immediate future.
Maybe it’s more about tradition? In series A, many young goalkeepers have been thrown into games when they are 18. Or, is he only 16 or 17 now?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe it’s more about tradition? In series A, many young goalkeepers have been thrown into games when they are 18. Or, is he only 16 or 17 now?
He's 18 years old, but I'm always a bit cautious regarding a young goalkeeper's prospects. I think the decision is ultimately down to the first team head coach, but I would say a few seasons on loan for a young keeper would be very beneficial.

I think he'll probably play the current season in the 21s, and then if the club can arrange a loan for him, then that would possibly be a good development step for Vitek.

city-puma

He's 18 years old, but I'm always a bit cautious regarding a young goalkeeper's prospects. I think the decision is ultimately down to the first team head coach, but I would say a few seasons on loan for a young keeper would be very beneficial.

I think he'll probably play the current season in the 21s, and then if the club can arrange a loan for him, then that would possibly be a good development step for Vitek.
Yes. Make sense. Eventually it’s all about individual’s character and mental readiness beyond anything else. Will follow how he developes.

arthurka

Neuer started playing for Schalke regularly at 20 so if you are good and have a physique and posture to match the occupation he might well be in the contention for it.

JB7

Looks like a monster at claiming crosses. Courtois-esque,
In the Youth Cup final IIRC I counted that he came for 6/7 crosses which was over half the number De Gea did in 38 league games :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Neuer started playing for Schalke regularly at 20 so if you are good and have a physique and posture to match the occupation he might well be in the contention for it.
Playing for Schalke at a young age and playing for Man Utd are worlds apart. Neuer is also one of the greatest keepers to play the game.

I like Vitek and think he has potential, but I think it's way too soon to think about throwing him into the cauldron at Old Trafford. He's still a developing keeper and needs time.

city-puma

Around 20, it is probably an important moment for many young goalkeepers to judge their ceilings I guess?
Buffon started at 17, Donnarumma at 16. But they got those opportunities when their clubs were in crisis of goalkeepers. It’s like how Rashford broke through here because we had crisis then without any fit forward available.

arthurka

Playing for Schalke at a young age and playing for Man Utd are worlds apart. Neuer is also one of the greatest keepers to play the game.

I like Vitek and think he has potential, but I think it's way too soon to think about throwing him into the cauldron at Old Trafford. He's still a developing keeper and needs time.
You might be right here but at the time Schalke was a force in the BL and playing in Europe often then CL.

Around 20, it is probably an important moment for many young goalkeepers to judge their ceilings I guess?
Buffon started at 17, Donnarumma at 16. But they got those opportunities when their clubs were in crisis of goalkeepers. It’s like how Rashford broke through here because we had crisis then without any fit forward available.
Schalke had injuries to Rost as well when Neuer got the chance, I think some characters really go for it when they get the chance.

city-puma

You might be right here but at the time Schalke was a force in the BL and playing in Europe often then CL.

Schalke had injuries to Rost as well when Neuer got the chance, I think some characters really go for it when they get the chance.
True. It’s about the character to carry them through die-or-alive moments one by one.

Drainy

I know Henderson is not the fan favourite at the moment but he needs credit for his attitude of demanding to go on loan at the highest level he's capable of as early as possible. He built his way into a career.

Maybe Vitek would benefit from the same?

khoazany

I know Henderson is not the fan favourite at the moment but he needs credit for his attitude of demanding to go on loan at the highest level he's capable of as early as possible. He built his way into a career.

Kovar should have pushed more for it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He had another very good game where he displayed his commanding nature as a keeper and also made some very impressive saves. He did make a mistake coming out for a ball and was hence punished, but for me, it's good he did that, because that's how you learn and improve and evolve in your position as a goalkeeper.

A Manchester United keeper should always be someone who looks to impose himself in his area and thus show a command of his area. And to add to that in the current game today, he must also be competent with the ball at his feet and that's something I'm hoping Vitek will add to his game and I'm sure he's working on that in training.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Schmeichel-esque saves. Love watching a big, scary keeper. A lot more to keeping than just that of course but good signs, hope he can keep developing.

CM

Agreed, Henderson did well to create a situation where he exposed himself to a lot of first-team football at a young age (for a goalkeeper, at least). It took a season to him find a club who gave him the chance to play the majority of games but once he had those chances, he did very well for himself at Shrewsbury and Sheffield United.

Nothing replicates the experience of playing proper football where wins matter and points are on the line.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was on the bench tonight as a third choice keeper. How has he been developing? His foot work, his distribution?

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
He has always struck me as a very goidvprospect. He is a good shot stopper, commands his area. Distribution ? Not bad. But he is still young.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was on the bench tonight as a third choice keeper. How has he been developing? His foot work, his distribution?
I think a loan move will tell us how he's developing. He's a commanding/dominating type of goalkeeper, with question marks surrounding his distribution. And it'll be interesting to see how he fares in that regard once he hopefully goes on loan. He was considered the biggest keeper talent at the club by the youth keeping coach prior to Elhyi Harrison's arrival.