Music Radiohead

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
They are incredible.

I haven't really got into their new stuff, simply because I keep discovering Kid A gems and The Bends is probably my favourite album ever.

I've only seen them live once but youtube the shit out of them and I must say, their live shows are mindblowing. You can tell they are perfectionists.

They kind have ruined new music for me. Every new rock band I hear, I saw they either are trying to sound like Radiohead, or that compared to Radiohead they are shit.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Their story is amazing too.

First album is very punk, and was very good.

Then they express themselves a little more with the Bends and blow everyone away with conventional rock with some progressive rock mixed in.

Then they blend conventional rock with some crazy sounds and produce an exceptional album in OK Computer.

They become media darlings and are hailed as the best band around and OK Computer is considered one of the greatest albums of all time.

After all of that, they throw away all their instruments and create 2 albums that mind feck the shit out of the listeners but still has progressive brilliance.

Then they stop making music for their record label, produce their own shit and sell it online for whatever people want to pay and still make 6 million odd dollars.

That's rock and roll.

Ludens the Red

Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Paranoid Android and Creep(despite the fact they and every Radiohead fan hate it) are some of my favourite songs ever but to be honest they're not as good as Muse.

*Runs away*

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I really love Paranoid Android but the rest of their stuff leaves me kind of cold. The army of devotee Radiohead fanbois made me wonder if I was missing something. I really tried to get into them, listening to their albums many times, it just didn't happen though.

I just don't get the fuss, they have some great tunes but so do Bananarama.

jem

Their story is amazing too.

First album is very punk, and was very good.

Then they express themselves a little more with the Bends and blow everyone away with conventional rock with some progressive rock mixed in.

Then they blend conventional rock with some crazy sounds and produce an exceptional album in OK Computer.

They become media darlings and are hailed as the best band around and OK Computer is considered one of the greatest albums of all time.

After all of that, they throw away all their instruments and create 2 albums that mind feck the shit out of the listeners but still has progressive brilliance.

Then they stop making music for their record label, produce their own shit and sell it online for whatever people want to pay and still make 6 million odd dollars.

That's rock and roll.
Agree with everything except Pablo Honey's being very good. I think it's a very underwhelming album, something that makes the leap in quality that was The Bends all the more stunning.

Count Orduck

They somehow seem to inspire raging mindless fanboyism in usually sane people through unremarkable music. I suppose that's a feat to be impressed by.

jem

They somehow seem to inspire raging mindless fanboyism in usually sane people through unremarkable music. I suppose that's a feat to be impressed by.
'Raging' is hardly a word I'd associate with Radiohead fans, and 'fanboy' is just a convenient expression to use when you don't agree with somebody's tastes.

jem

Radiohead yes, The Smiths, no.

Thus said the Chief.
The Smiths are good, but I do feel they are ever-so-slightly overrated. I feel the same way about The Stone Roses and I can't stand Oasis, so perhaps I have an anti-Manchester band agenda (or I'm not a 'fanboy' if you like...)

Ludens the Red

'Raging' is hardly a word I'd associate with Radiohead fans, and 'fanboy' is just a convenient expression to use when you don't agree with somebody's tastes.
Nah he's right, Radiohead fans are notoriously very fanboyish. In the sense that they get very arrogant about how great Radiohead and are quite dismissive to those who don't agree. I've been e-fighting them on the internet for years.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah but Leroy thinks Radiohead rip off Muse. Despite being about 10 years their senior. Somehow.

The Smiths are good, but I do feel they are ever-so-slightly overrated. I feel the same way about The Stone Roses and I can't stand Oasis, so perhaps I have an anti-Manchester band agenda (or I'm not a 'fanboy' if you like...)
Manc bands like the Roses & The Smiths get very overrated by people of a certain age. Their comparative nationwide/global appeal, though by no means definitive of their quality, does point towards this somewhat.

jem

Nah he's right, Radiohead fans are notoriously very fanboyish. In the sense that they get very arrogant about how great Radiohead and are quite dismissive to those who don't agree. I've been e-fighting them on the internet for years.
Maybe that's an England thing. Here in Canada, pretty are pretty chilled about that sort of thing, unless you're a Nickelback fan, in which case all bets are off.

jem

Yeah but Leroy thinks Radiohead rip off Muse. Despite being about 10 years their senior. Somehow.

Manc bands like the Roses & The Smiths get very overrated by people of a certain age. Their comparative nationwide/global appeal, though by no means definitive of their quality, does point towards this somewhat.
In my opinion, The Stone Roses have a handful of great songs (This is The One, I am The Resurrection, I Wanna Be Adored,) taken from a very good debut album. The rest of pretty good, but not deserving of the adulation it receives. However, I do recognize that for people who shared the same time and place (ie. Manchester in the late 80s,) the music likely takes on an added layer of meaning.

I find The Smiths are great in limited doses, with, again, a handful of great songs (How Soon is Now, Please, Please, Please, I Know it's Over, Girlfriend in a Coma, etc.) sprinkled among a good number of tuneful, but not classic songs. I do love Hatful of Hollow (if I'm not mistaken this is a more of an odds and sods collection than a proper release, no?)

Ludens the Red

I don't. I can acknowledge that Muse actually "borrowed" from them, but really only with their first album, they then developed their own, better sound.

Maybe that's an England thing. Here in Canada, pretty are pretty chilled about that sort of thing, unless you're a Nickelback fan, in which case all bets are off.
I like Nickelback :):(

jem

I don't. I can acknowledge that Muse actually "borrowed" from them, but really only with their first album, they then developed their own, better sound.

I like Nickelback :):(
Really, you like Nickelback? I daresay they are the worst band in the world. Check this out:

Mockney

Leroy admitting he likes Nickleback obviously renders his opinion moot on any matters, music, football or otherwise. I think we can all agree on that.

I love Radiohead, but I hate quite a lot of their output. That's their appeal. If that makes any sense. Their disparity is a plus, not a minus.

In Rainbows is the shit.

jem

Leroy admitting he likes Nickleback obviously renders his opinion moot on any matters, music, football or otherwise. I think we can all agree on that.

I love Radiohead, but I hate quite a lot of their output. That's their appeal. If that makes any sense. Their disparity is a plus, not a minus.

In Rainbows is the shit.
They certainly keep you guessing with each album. I do think Thom Yorke is a bit limited as a lyricist. He tends to latch onto a phrase and repeat it over and over again, but it sounds so good that you can forgive him for it (kind of a musical version of Antonio Valencia - well last season's version at least. This year Valencia has become a bit Pablo Honey.)

Mockney

There's bound to be A Radiohead song you like Eboue. As I said, their disparity is their genius. You can't acuse them of complacency.

I openly hate Kid A for example, which is blasphemous amongst most Radiohead fans.

jem

Leroy admitting liking Nickleback makes me want to become a Radiohead fanboy just so I'm not on the same side of any issue as him.
It really was a startling admission to make (a bit like SAF admitting to having never seen Bebe play.) I actually admire Leroy for having the guts to admit that. It can't have been easy.

Ludens the Red

Look, I know, I know. They love a power ballad. But they're just so good at not being very good that it makes them awesome, somehow. The songs are all about the same thing, sex and drugs but they just deliver these brilliant sing-a-long type songs. I don't know what it is. Nickelback are to music what Michael Bay is to movies what Stoke are to Football, that's the best way I can put it.

Jem, as a Canadian, you should be proud of them. They've done really well.

jem

There's bound to be a Radiohead song you like Eboue. As I said, their disparity is their genius.
I'd try these ones. If you don't like them, then Radiohead just isn't for you:

Paranoid Android
Karma Police
Just
Faust Arp
Separator
I Might Be Wrong

jem

Look, I know, I know. They love a power ballad. But they're just so good at not being very good that it makes them awesome, somehow. The songs are all about the same thing, sex and drugs but they just deliver these brilliant sing-a-long type songs. I don't know what it is. Nickelback are to music what Michael Bay is to movies what Stoke are to Football, that's the best way I can put it.
All three of those would make great Sunday night entertainment at Guantanamo Bay.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a

Jem, as a Canadian, you should be proud of them. They've done really well.
https://www.redcafe.net/f27/nickelback-worst-band-ever-285936/

jem

There's bound to be A Radiohead song you like Eboue. As I said, their disparity is their genius. You can't acuse them of complacency.

I openly hate Kid A for example, which is blasphemous amongst most Radiohead fans.
It is a touch blasphemous (I reckon it's their best album,) but I can see why some may not dig it.

Mockney

I'd try these ones. If you don't like them, then Radiohead just isn't for you:

Paranoid Android
Karma Police
Just
Faust Arp
Separator
I Might Be Wrong
I'd add Nude, 15 Step, Talk Show Host, You and Whose Army, Reckoner, Street Spirit & Exit Music to a Film to that.

It is a touch blasphemous (I reckon it's their best album,) but I can see why some may not dig it.
A lot of Radiohead is pretentious bollocks, but that is just too far for me. I grew out of the beret wearing, political t-shirts, "oh my god just listen to the ambience in this" student cuntery when I was 23.

MikeUpNorth thinks the dischordant ambient sounds in Bloom on KOL perfectly recreate the blooming aesthetic of nature. And that's why he's a dick.