Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bit like Poch at PSG, a manager that doesn't want to be there for a fan base that doesn't really want him. I'm sure with the developments at Newcastle, he probably in hindsight regrets taking the Everton job.
I don't think it's anything like Poch at PSG outside of the coincdence that the fans are not keen on him. But I think he wants to be at Everton and they are probably the right club for him.

Honestly I think he just needs more time there. He's obviously a very good manager, these days I think we are quick to sack managers and hit reset. It rarely ever works out. If the manager has a strong CV behind him and obviously has pedigree that's relevant to the role, then give him time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Give it Ole till the end of the season
If we weren't a sinking ship this wouldn't be as jokey as it sounds. We know that Ole boosted the morale at United and created a better atmosphere at the club but he's tactically shite. If we were comfortable in terms of not being relegated I wouldn't be that against him coming in, lifting the mood at the club and then replacing him later. The problem is that a relegation battle is now a serious possibility and I wouldn't trust Ole with that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This hiring made no sense at all in the first place. What a ridiculously stupid decision
Outside of the Liverpool connection it's hard to think of a better fit for Everton than Rafa. His style is actually what Everton were traditionally known for, being compact, direct, tight and physical. They aren't some sort of Burnley team but they had a stubbornness and confidence about them, which Rafa has been quite good at implementing up until this stint.

That said we are not at the half way mark of his tenure. It's so early to write these types of managers off, I don't know why the conversation is even being debated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If we weren't a sinking ship this wouldn't be as jokey as it sounds. We know that Ole boosted the morale at United and created a better atmosphere at the club but he's tactically shite. If we were comfortable in terms of not being relegated I wouldn't be that against him coming in, lifting the mood at the club and then replacing him later. The problem is that a relegation battle is now a serious possibility and I wouldn't trust Ole with that.
Mate if you had Ole you'd be relegated. He'd depend on Iwobi and Gray to go out there and do their thing, and their individual brilliance won't get you very far.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Mate if you had Ole you'd be relegated. He'd depend on Iwobi and Gray to go out there and do their thing, and their individual brilliance won't get you very far.
:lol:

We would in our current predicament but not in regards to the context of what I described in my post. When Ole arrived at United he came to a club with over-inflated egos and a team that believed they were better than the position they found themselves in. He had his faults but he boosted morale of the players and the club and got them into a decent position for the next manager to take over from. We are in the same position of over-inflated egos and arrogance.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
The more high profile clubs like United and Arsenal being in a mess mean Everton have really gone under the radar for the last few years for bad management. No identity, scattergun transfer policy, further away from Europe every year and a downbeat fanbase. They'd nearly want to go down for a year so they could have a reset and the fans could enjoy winning every week.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Exactly!

Lets be honest Benitez hasn't been dealt a great card with Everton in the context of bloated status of certain players. Iwobi was a what, 30m purchase? Is Mina a 30m defender? Allan is alright but the player that constantly bailed even Ancelotti out of games is injured and has been a long while. Sigurdson is gone too.

I'm not sure why Benitez didn't spend much but looking at his transfers it's what Rondon on a free and Gray (good transfer) for 2m. He hasn't been given any sort of flex that his predecessor had.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Exactly!

Lets be honest Benitez hasn't been dealt a great card with Everton in the context of bloated status of certain players. Iwobi was a what, 30m purchase? Is Mina a 30m defender? Allan is alright but the player that constantly bailed even Ancelotti out of games is injured and has been a long while. Sigurdson is gone too.

I'm not sure why Benitez didn't spend much but looking at his transfers it's what Rondon on a free and Gray (good transfer) for 2m. He hasn't been given any sort of flex that his predecessor had.
Tbh your posts sound like you don't know much about the problems of the club or team currently.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Tbh your posts sound like you don't know much about the problems of the club or team currently.
Feel free to educate me. From an ousider it looks like Brands has made some sloppy ratifications on transfers. The academy progression looks poor and outside of looking at the best manager in the market from a reactionary perspective, there doesn't appear to be an actual plan on how they want the long term football to look like and what ilk of manager would suit best. Like United, Everton have jumped across different footballing philosophies, from Koeman to Ancelotti to Rafa.

poleglass red

I don't think it's anything like Poch at PSG outside of the coincdence that the fans are not keen on him. But I think he wants to be at Everton and they are probably the right club for him.

Honestly I think he just needs more time there. He's obviously a very good manager, these days I think we are quick to sack managers and hit reset. It rarely ever works out. If the manager has a strong CV behind him and obviously has pedigree that's relevant to the role, then give him time.
I don't think there is any doubt he wanted the job initially. Remember at that time we all felt the opportunity for the investment in Newcastle had passed. He now looks at a club where he is still held in very high regard, where money won't be an issue and compares it to a club where he was hated before he set one foot in the door. I think he had around 1.7m to spend in the summer,the lowest spent in the PL and that lack of squad investment is hurting him now. You know come Jan and in the summer Newcastle will give their manager whatever he wants.Your point about being given time is valid, but Everton are 5 pts above Burnley and Norwich, Burnley with a game in hand. The cost of relegation is massive hence clubs panic quicker than they should. I think they will be fine once they get a few injured players back.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think there is any doubt he wanted the job initially. Remember at that time we all felt the opportunity for the investment in Newcastle had passed. He now looks at a club where he is still held in very high regard, where money won't be an issue and compares it to a club where he was hated before he set one foot in the door. I think he had around 1.7m to spend in the summer,the lowest spent in the PL and that lack of squad investment is hurting him now. You know come Jan and in the summer Newcastle will give their manager whatever he wants.Your point about being given time is valid, but Everton are 5 pts above Burnley and Norwich, Burnley with a game in hand. The cost of relegation is massive hence clubs panic quicker than they should. I think they will be fine once they get a few injured players back.
He's not going to get them relegated. He's a very good manager, their current league position I genuinely think is roughly as low as it'll get. It's obviously a bad patch but the very good managers navigate out of that. He's capable of this.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Feel free to educate me. From an ousider it looks like Brands has made some sloppy ratifications on transfers. The academy progression looks poor and outside of looking at the best manager in the market from a reactionary perspective, there doesn't appear to be an actual plan on how they want the long term football to look like and what ilk of manager would suit best. Like United, Everton have jumped across different footballing philosophies, from Koeman to Ancelotti to Rafa.
When Brands came in he took over a squad which was heavily bloated and full of dross (you might say the same now...). He has had to try and navigate that in terms of getting players out while still getting in players that can compete with potential. I'd argue people like Digne, Richarlison, Godfrey, Allan and Doucoure have all been excellent signings by him. He has some duds, but every club does.

I think the problem is that they do have a plan, but the plan stems from the arrogance that is rooted at the club from top to bottom. That plan is to win a trophy / compete for a European spot at any cost. It doesn't matter what manager comes in or what style they play or who they sign because if they win a trophy then quids in. That's why a Rafa or an Ancelotti or someone of this ilk is not the answer. Someone progressive that can change the club like Potter or a v. temporary morale boosting/culture change stop gap like Ole (Though he wouldn't be a first choice) to change the culture ala you have done with Ralph would be.

SambaBoy

When Brands came in he took over a squad which was heavily bloated and full of dross (you might say the same now...). He has had to try and navigate that in terms of getting players out while still getting in players that can compete with potential. I'd argue people like Digne, Richarlison, Godfrey, Allan and Doucoure have all been excellent signings by him. He has some duds, but every club does.

I think the problem is that they do have a plan, but the plan stems from the arrogance that is rooted at the club from top to bottom. That plan is to win a trophy / compete for a European spot at any cost. It doesn't matter what manager comes in or what style they play or who they sign because if they win a trophy then quids in. That's why a Rafa or an Ancelotti or someone of this ilk is not the answer. Someone progressive that can change the club like Potter or a v. temporary morale boosting/culture change stop gap like Ole (Though he wouldn't be a first choice) to change the culture ala you have done with Ralph would be.
Wasn't Marco Silva supposed to be a progressive manager though?

Was it Brands who signed the likes of Gylfi, Rooney and Klassen in one window?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’ll be 7 points above relegation zone after this afternoons game.

Is that really good enough for a club like Everton?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He hasn't been a good manager for a decade now. Biggest joke is that he still gets decent jobs.

Everton have a weak squad no doubt but he has made it weaker by alienating Digne and he has a weird obsession with Rondon.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He hasn't been a good manager for a decade now. Biggest joke is that he still gets decent jobs.

Everton have a weak squad no doubt but he has made it weaker by alienating Digne and he has a weird obsession with Rondon.
Does he? Since 2016 he spent years at Newcastle then went to China and is now at Everton (massive club but their team don't reflect that).

I'd say that's a fair reflection on the level he's at now, especially when compared to Jose who keeps getting jobs well above his present day station because of how great he was in his prime.

KM

Does he? Since 2016 he spent years at Newcastle then went to China and is now at Everton (massive club but their team don't reflect that).

I'd say that's a fair reflection on the level he's at now, especially when compared to Jose who keeps getting jobs well above his present day station because of how great he was in his prime.
Got a job at Madrid before that tbf inspite of being sacked at Napoli and Inter.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Got a job at Madrid before that tbf inspite of being sacked at Napoli and Inter.
Yeah the Real job was the major outlier (but Real quickly realised their mistake and dumped him) but other than that I'd say the decline of his jobs is quite reflective on his overall decline ever since he got a mere caretaker role with us (imagine Mou getting offered that type of role now let alone when he was only starting to decline).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is he still the Everton manager? Wow.

Assumed he would have got the boot last night.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm still not sure why he was hired by Everton. Everyone knew that the 1st bad patch they hit, he'd be under tremendous pressure, he wouldn't be getting a honeymoon period and the fact that even if he did not have a bad start, the first few months would be spent trying to convince the fans that he is the man for the job.

It's a bit like Spurs' appointing NES where everyone knew that things re going to go south really soon

InfiniteBoredom

Going to Inter was a really bad career’s choice, everyone and his dog could see that no matter what he does, it would compare unfavorably with Mourinho, and that squad was really old.

KM

Read somewhere that apparently Brands wanted Potter to be Everton's next manager in summer but Moshiri wanted Benitez only.

Potter would've switched too I reckon!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Read somewhere that apparently Brands wanted Potter to be Everton's next manager in summer but Moshiri wanted Benitez only.

Potter would've switched too I reckon!
yes. Brands also wanted Livramento / Dumfries and and Benitez said no. We have two clowns running the club and the squad.

KM

yes. Brands also wanted Livramento / Dumfries and and Benitez said no. We have two clowns running the club and the squad.
That's bad.

Moshiri also finalized a deal for Iwobi without telling Brands. That's so fecking clownish.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Would you take big Sam right now?
:o I think we need a total reset of the club. I’d honestly rather be relegated with a manager that will change the philosophy of the football club and improve us long term than stay up with this cycle of old has beens.

Replacing King with Rondon another baffling decision.
I think that’s on Ancelotti. Was apparently promised a bunch of game time and received feck all.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd like to see Wenger back tbh.

Maybe he feels like he would be ruining how he is viewed a bit though if he does come and struggle.