Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Surprised he's still active.

Never fully understood why he complete lost the plot and decided to take a more unfriendly approach to other managers. Fergie even wrote him a long letter congratulating him on winning the Champions League with Liverpool.

Grande

It was Hector Cuper who led Valencia to two CL finals but lost both of them.. Benitez won Uefa Cup in 2004 before joining Liverpool..
True, both the CL finals were under Cuper, who did phenomenally well in the CL with a defensively sound and rapidly countering underdog against Lazio and Barca in 2000, going out in the finals due to Madrid complex. I mixed up when he quit, as the consecutive year they lost to Bayern on pens in the final. They never did challenge really for the league under Cuper though. Benitez came in and imediately took Valencia to the league victory, playing more proactively as well. Then another league two years after, as well as the Europa league. Both those generations of Valencia was a joy to behold, despite being plucked for talent, while playing very differently under Cuper and Benitez. Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, Benitez went on to win a CL with underdog Liverpool, and another CL final, a second place PL finish and he won tje Europa league again with Chelsea. My main point was really that to say he was ‘always shit’ was demonstrating a profound lack of knowledge and respect.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
True, both the CL finals were under Cuper, who did phenomenally well in the CL with a defensively sound and rapidly countering underdog against Lazio and Barca in 2000, going out in the finals due to Madrid complex. I mixed up when he quit, as the consecutive year they lost to Bayern on pens in the final. They never did challenge really for the league under Cuper though. Benitez came in and imediately took Valencia to the league victory, playing more proactively as well. Then another league two years after, as well as the Europa league. Both those generations of Valencia was a joy to behold, despite being plucked for talent, while playing very differently under Cuper and Benitez. Thanks for the correction.

Anyway, Benitez went on to win a CL with underdog Liverpool, and another CL final, a second place PL finish and he won tje Europa league again with Chelsea. My main point was really that to say he was ‘always shit’ was demonstrating a profound lack of knowledge and respect.
A joy to behold is a bit of a stretch....They had some wonderful players, but won the league scoring 51 goals. Obviously wasn't a shit manager at the height of his career, but lost the plot.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Yeah, as far as the decline of managers like Benitez and Mourinho, I think it's more that structured/regimented attacking caught up to and overtook structured/regimented defending.

It's a bit shit really. :(
Bingo. Managers of the same bracket as Allegri, Simeone or Conte for that matter have the advantage that their structured/regimented play includes both defending and attacking so while being old school pragmatic and defensive managers their style is still relevant today. Benitez, Mourinho and the likes of them are out of dept in todays game. Its striking how much difference De Rossi (a manager who is yet to prove his worth) brings to Roma because he just changed the way they attack compared to Mourinho..

Grande

A joy to behold is a bit of a stretch....They had some wonderful players, but won the league scoring 51 goals. Obviously wasn't a shit manager at the height of his career, but lost the plot.
I watched many of their games in those years, and to me it certainly much more fluid, creative and entertaining to watch than more free scoring Real Madrid and Barcelona of the era.

Valencia had good players, and a few who went on to star in other teams, but nothing lkke the artillery of the two juggernauts of LaLiga. Players like Gaizka Mendieta, Vicente, Ruben Baraja, David Silva, Pablo Aimar were set up in a way that was well organized yet made for great combinatory creativity.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
At least Mourinho still wins the odd trophy at his jobs despite playing dubious quality football, this guy can barely collect points in league competitions anymore.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's a joke now obviously, but I don't think you win La Liga with Valencia twice if you're a shit manager.
I was refering to his time from Liverpool onwards - I probably should have said "mostly" but you know, "always" sounds better... plus Valencia was what, 3 years out of a 20+ year career? I don't get how one job can hold you in such high regard for that long.

You don’t know what you’re talking about, sorry. After doing well above expectations with Tenerife, he had Valencia play fabulous and exciting football at the start of the millenium, winning the league for the first time in over thirty years - and twice - breaking up the double dynasty of RM/Barca, and this was in the period when the Spanish league first overtook Italian Serie A and was way beyond PL in depth of quality. He also took Valencia to the CL final. He was one of the best coaches around at the time, and extremely far from ‘always shit’.

He took over Liverpool, which were in their toxicity, entitlement and skewed expectation phase like we are now, but he lifted them clearly from the previous coaches and won the CL with them at a time when nothing looked like that should be happening.

No managers almost are brilliant for more than five to ten years or at different clubs, the exceptions are rare heroes indeed, but Benitez was brilliant for about a decade. The ‘fachts’ interview blinded many United fans of posteriority for what he was about, but that’s really just kid’s stuff. Rapha Benitez was not in any manner or way ‘always shit’.
Moving past the arrogance of telling someone "You don't know what you're talking about" ... and then giving Benitez credit for things he literally never achieved... See post above.

Benetiz time at Liverpool hinges entirely on a Champions League trophy they pretty much fluked.They won a semi final thanks to a goal that never actually went in, and then we all know what happened in the final/ Other then that he one what? one trophy (which again, he got very very lucky in winning), and this with easily the best Liverpool side they'd had in over a decade by the time he left. You say he took over from toixc Liverpool... he took over from Houllier, who they all loved and one them a budget treble. Hell they won more trophies under Houlier then they did with Benitez, so to call it a time of toxcitiy is a massive stretch.

In his 6 years of Liverpool they finished in an average position of 4th in the league... which is such a vast improvement from Houllier, who in his 6 seasons finished in an average position of... 4th.

Honestly, if it wasn't thanks ot the famed Scouse over-embellishment, his time at Liverpool would be looked at way differently,

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I wonder. If anything today's play feels even more regimented and structured with the pressing systems. You look at the movements the collective makes when the opposition has the ball and it's so .. robotic. They keep making the same movements over and over and over again for the full 90. If you don't make the movement the video analyst will point out exactly where you didn't and the boss will come yell at you.

I think he's more the old school 90s / 00s coach and hasn't evolved after the Barca / Guardiola tactical revolution. Simeone did and so did Ancelotti. Maybe even Emery.
I am talking about the day to day training. if you listen to players who played under Benitez, it sounds very similar to guys like Magath and Pulis, managers who believe in repeated drills and the same training week in week out. If you listen to players under teams who are very strong re high press these days like Pool, that doesn't happen, it's much more varied and with a lot of 'team bonding' type sessions as well.

Not sure what the 'tactical revolution' you are referring to is?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Fair to say he's yesterday's man and should probably retire with dignity now..?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He should give up now. He peaked almost 20 years ago

Grande

I was refering to his time from Liverpool onwards - I probably should have said "mostly" but you know, "always" sounds better... plus Valencia was what, 3 years out of a 20+ year career? I don't get how one job can hold you in such high regard for that long.

Moving past the arrogance of telling someone "You don't know what you're talking about" ... and then giving Benitez credit for things he literally never achieved... See post above.

Benetiz time at Liverpool hinges entirely on a Champions League trophy they pretty much fluked.They won a semi final thanks to a goal that never actually went in, and then we all know what happened in the final/ Other then that he one what? one trophy (which again, he got very very lucky in winning), and this with easily the best Liverpool side they'd had in over a decade by the time he left. You say he took over from toixc Liverpool... he took over from Houllier, who they all loved and one them a budget treble. Hell they won more trophies under Houlier then they did with Benitez, so to call it a time of toxcitiy is a massive stretch.

In his 6 years of Liverpool they finished in an average position of 4th in the league... which is such a vast improvement from Houllier, who in his 6 seasons finished in an average position of... 4th.

Honestly, if it wasn't thanks ot the famed Scouse over-embellishment, his time at Liverpool would be looked at way differently,
If you think it arrogant to say ‘you don’t know what you’re talking about’ to someone claiming a manager with 2 La Liga’s (with an underdog), 2 Europa League trophies, 1 CL trophy and 1 CL final apperance (plus two league league promotions with Tenerife and Estremadura) has been ‘always shit’ - well, fair enough, but then how do you rate your own post for arrogance?

I made one mistake of remembering the second Valencia CL final vs Bayern as being after Benitez took over from Cuper, which I thanked Georgipep for correcting me on. I don’t think it makes my claim much more inaccurate given Benitez list of achievements, and your original claim (‘always shit’).

You seem to confuse my claim that there was a phase of toxicity and skewed expectations around Liverpool as something like ‘it was a bad team’ or ‘Houllier was bad’. That’s entirely misunderstood. Gerard Houllier was to me a very good coach and manager, the toxicity was the amount of people around (both fans and media) speaking of Houllier as almost clueless towards the end, despite the very impressive poor man’s treble. They couldn’t accept the level Liverpool actually was at at the time (as you point out, more or leas the fourth best club in England, much like many can’t accept the level United has been under Glazers, pinning it on the heads of various managers. Making two CL finals under such circumstances is impressive for any manager in it’s own right, it’s the same CL tally Klopp has, it was the CL tally Ferguson had (fluked?) after more than 20 years at United. It doesn’t make Benitez one of the best managers of history, but it is endlessly removed from being ‘always shit’.

Fair enough, I see you retracted from him being ‘always shit’ in a later comment, to ‘mostly shit’ citing that you like the sound better. But I answered what you actually wrote, so I guess that’s the price of going for form over substance. I still think it sounds pretty arrogant to call a manager with Benitez palmares ‘mostly shit’, but what do I know about what you have done in life, you maybe deliver on a CL win level every year in your own job for all I know.

Disclaimer: If you find any of the content in this post abrasive or inexact, note that I didn’t mean any of it, I just wrote it in this way to make it effective as an art form and to sound funkadelic badass.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He was managing in China wasn't he a few years ago so Saudi land will probably come calling soon.
It might to but they'd probably better with pretty much any motivated option. Don't think Rafa has it anymore and that'll be double if he's getting his pockets lined.

Teja

I am talking about the day to day training. if you listen to players who played under Benitez, it sounds very similar to guys like Magath and Pulis, managers who believe in repeated drills and the same training week in week out. If you listen to players under teams who are very strong re high press these days like Pool, that doesn't happen, it's much more varied and with a lot of 'team bonding' type sessions as well.

Not sure what the 'tactical revolution' you are referring to is?
Conveniently this appeared in my feed

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/bTYoqvIcic

I don't know enough about the training sessions. It's possible that the way you train pressing / defence these days is more interesting than what they used to do before but I'll need more evidence. My guess is they are drilled in much the same was as before with the added assistance (or annoyance) from video coaches.

Team bonding is a separate thing and I think every coach allows for some of that in the sessions.

tomaldinho1

Conveniently this appeared in my feed

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/bTYoqvIcic

I don't know enough about the training sessions. It's possible that the way you train pressing / defence these days is more interesting than what they used to do before but I'll need more evidence. My guess is they are drilled in much the same was as before with the added assistance (or annoyance) from video coaches.

Team bonding is a separate thing and I think every coach allows for some of that in the sessions.
I have no doubt about Pep's trophy cabinet and general influence but is he more/less influential than other big names? I do feel there's a bit of a laziness with fans online these days who think he invested things like inverted full backs and CBs coming into the midfield etc.

I feel like you've not actually read what was written? I've presented you a fact re Benitez's training methods and you can go and listen to players directly talk about this i.e. Crouch & then given my opinion that this style probably is much harder to get the younger generation of footballers to buy into. Then given you another fact in that the style of training is similar to what we know about other managers, for example Pulis (go listen to Owen talk about how boring training there was for example).

And then you 'guess' things are much the same....that makes zero sense.