Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

el3mel

With such net spend he did a pretty good job keeping them in the league these previous seasons.

FujiVice

There's probably more chance of me taking the Newcastle job than Mourinho. He said his next job wouldnt be with a club whose owners overrule the manager. No chance is he going to Newcastle then.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He gets a lot of stick because of the facts thing, but Rafa is a good manager. Kind of feel for Newcastle, have great fans, had a great manager and managed to get fecked by a shitty owner.
If he takes another job I hope its a decent one.

doriandun

Its not a great squad but, there is room for improvement, the defence is not bad, midfield Jose could opt for playing a two with the bodies availiable, the three behind Rondon could be tricky, otherwise wouldn't suprise me if Jose took the job considering positions 1 and two is either City or Liverpool. Chelsea if they get Lampard, from watching Derby last season, were good at home, away from home , had a few dodgy results, Arsenal need a defence and a few more bodies in midfield, we could end up anywhere between fourth and seventh. Leciester, West Ham and Everton will need more consistency away from home, and Spurs need bodies also.

Ashley would be less likely to veto his signings, but will there be a transfer kitty.

Reactions: golden_blunder

lifted

Its not a great squad but, there is room for improvement, the defence is not bad, midfield Jose could opt for playing a two with the bodies availiable, the three behind Rondon could be tricky, otherwise wouldn't suprise me if Jose took the job considering positions 1 and two is either City or Liverpool. Chelsea if they get Lampard, from watching Derby last season, were good at home, away from home , had a few dodgy results, Arsenal need a defence and a few more bodies in midfield, we could end up anywhere between fourth and seventh. Leciester, West Ham and Everton will need more consistency away from home, and Spurs need bodies also.

Ashley would be less likely to veto his signings, but will there be a transfer kitty.
That relies on them actually signing Rondon though... So even less in the kitty to just get the strike force they had last season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There's probably more chance of me taking the Newcastle job than Mourinho. He said his next job wouldnt be with a club whose owners overrule the manager. No chance is he going to Newcastle then.
So he is retiring?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Paddy Power have paid out on them to be relegated next year, probably only had a few grands liability. but still

passing-wind

Amazing we have Solskjaer and you've got better managers in Allegri / Benitez free. It's astounding the stupidity of the hierarchy at this club.

patty123

7/1 Chris Hughton

Is that a joke, given the vile way they treated him last time he was their manager?

Last edited by a moderator:

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Aye danny. Spot on.

Let's not jump the gun and assume talks broke down because the imbeciles in charge - who have 12 years proven track record of being dumber than a box of hair - are fecking around a better manager than they will ever get again. Nah. Let's give both sides equal space here. Let's hear both sides.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Benitez really didn't over achieve anything at Newcastle, if anything he slightly underachieved.
They finished below Palace and level on points with Bournemouth, really nothing to write home about, probably slightly lower than the squad he has should be finishing.
Newcastle will be better with a more attacking positive manager.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Benitez really didn't over achieve anything at Newcastle, if anything he slightly underachieved.
They finished below Palace and level on points with Bournemouth, really nothing to write home about, probably slightly lower than the squad he has should be finishing.

wow...

Rafaeldagold

The last time we had lvg and mourinho people are crying for modern young manager who understand the value of united tradition.
No that was only those who were never going to give them a chance, leading to the utter stupidity of hiring a nothing manager in Ole for our crucial rebuild

Angelinho

Toon fans seem extremely pissed at the news.

Wouldn't want to be a police horse in Newcastle tonight.

redshaw

Amongst all this I'm wondering what is going on with the middle eastern takeover?

If this is not going ahead then obviously it doesn't look good for Newcastle next year.

Sir Scott McToMinay

They’ll get relegated.

Bwuk

I don't like Rafa but I can't agree. They spent f*ck all and managed to stay in the league.

PeteManic

Rafa is a good man. Huge respect for him. Did as much as he could in Newcastle.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Whatever you think about him he's a good and (mostly) intelligent manager.

They are much worse off without him. Also not as an attractive proposition for a buyer now.

FireballXL5

I know we give him a lot of stick for obvious reasons, but he's a likeable bloke. Better off out of that circus.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Wondering if it's possible they could both be coming?

Would seem odd to let Lampard be the whipping boy, which he surely would be in our situation. Needs someone experienced to set the team up and then go after a season or so and leave Lamps in charge.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Aye danny. Spot on.

Let's not jump the gun and assume talks broke down because the imbeciles in charge - who have 12 years proven track record of being dumber than a box of hair - are fecking around a better manager than they will ever get again. Nah. Let's give both sides equal space here. Let's hear both sides.
I fully expect Richard Keys to criticise Rafa for not having done more and for leaving instead of investing his own money into the club.

Rio Ferdinand odds on to like the tweet.

He attracts some absolute bonkers comments from the usual suspects. Wouldn't surprise me to see another round of 'but what about his zonal marking and squad rotation?' comments fresh from 2005 pop up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Bonkers. Their squad is relegation material and he put them 11 points clear. The gulf in quality to the teams above Newcastle is massive. Not sure how it is possible to do better with that team, barring unusual good fortune along the way.

DavidDeSchmikes

13:11
Jose Mourinho second favourite to become Newcastle manager
After the announcement on Benitez here are the latest odds, from Ladbrokes, on who Newcastle’s next manager will be and a familiar name is one of the favourites.

Next Permanent Newcastle Manager
7/1 Chris Hughton
10/1 Garry Monk
10/1 Jose Mourinho
12/1 Lee Bowyer
12/1 Eddie Howe
12/1 Sean Dyche
14/1 Mikel Arteta
14/1 Patrick Vieira
16/1 Gennaro Gattuso
16/1 Michael Appleton
20/1 Steven Gerrard
20/1 Tony Pulis
25/1 David Moyes
25/1 Marcelo Bielsa
25/1 Kevin Nolan
25/1 Sol Campbell
25/1 Nolberto Solano
25/1 Phil Neville
25/1 Arsene Wenger
33/1 Alan Shearer
50/1 Kevin Keegan
25/1 for Moyes........David Moyes..........former Sunderland manager DAVID MOYES?!?!?!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He had a -11m net spend. Crystal Palace and Bournemouth have spent much more on transfers and probably more on wages too (definitely Palace have with Zaha on good money and players like Sakho in the side). Both Howe and Hodgson have been backed to a certain extent, key players retained, a few good ones added like Batshuayi, Lerma, Brooks etc .. the Newcastle squad isn't better than theirs and Rafa has been scraping the barrel whilst manager there.

The squad is alright but definitely any manager keeping them up (which he has done, comfortably) is doing a good job, you can't expect more without more spending. They've got a few decent players in Almiron, Schar, Dubravka, Lascelles etc but the other lower mid table clubs all have that as well. I don't think he's been a miracle worker at Newcastle like some make out, but he's done well and if anything I'm surprised he's lasted this long under those circumstances, must be a miserable club to manage with that twat Ashley at the helm.