Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely detest that true geordie fecking numpty. proper fecking melt and wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
:D at the people saying Rafa to Chelsea on twitter,

Good manager yes, but err.. no. Not happening

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He had a -11m net spend. Crystal Palace and Bournemouth have spent much more on transfers and probably more on wages too (definitely Palace have with Zaha on good money and players like Sakho in the side). Both Howe and Hodgson have been backed to a certain extent, key players retained, a few good ones added like Batshuayi, Lerma, Brooks etc .. the Newcastle squad isn't better than theirs and Rafa has been scraping the barrel whilst manager there.

The squad is alright but definitely any manager keeping them up (which he has done, comfortably) is doing a good job, you can't expect more without more spending. They've got a few decent players in Almiron, Schar, Dubravka, Lascelles etc but the other lower mid table clubs all have that as well. I don't think he's been a miracle worker at Newcastle like some make out, but he's done well and if anything I'm surprised he's lasted this long under those circumstances, must be a miserable club to manage with that twat Ashley at the helm.
Wish people would stop going on about net fecking spend. He's spent nearly 100m in his three years at Newcastle, hardly a small amount.
Palace I don't think, and without checking it I can't confirm, have spent much more than Newcastle in that time,
The football Benitez has Newcastle playing was awful, feeble and quite frankly a step below what they are capable of.
It's no surprise that when they opened up somewhat and started to play more expansive football (at behest of the fans I might add) towards the end of the season results improved.
Get a manager that's willing to do that every week and they'll be higher next season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Wish people would stop going on about net fecking spend. He's spent nearly 100m in his three years at Newcastle, hardly a small amount.
Palace I don't think, and without checking it I can't confirm, have spent much more than Newcastle in that time,
The football Benitez has Newcastle playing was awful, feeble and quite frankly a step below what they are capable of.
It's no surprise that when they opened up somewhat and started to play more expansive football (at behest of the fans I might add) towards the end of the season results improved.
Get a manager that's willing to do that every week and they'll be higher next season.

Fulham spent 100m in a single window. Crystal Palace spent getting on for 50m in 17/18 on the likes of Sakho/Riedewald/Sorloth, and in 16/17 spent an absolute fortune - over 30 on Benteke, 15 on Townsend, 15 on Milivojevic etc, with double figure sums also spent on the likes of Schlupp, Tomkins and Van Aanholt. In 18/19 they didn't spend much but they did secure big loans for the likes of Batshuayi (likely paying a lot of the wages) and gave a bumper contract to star man Zaha.

'Nearly 100m' in 3 seasons for a team with one of (if not the lowest of the surviving sides?) the lowest wage budgets in the league is not a lot, like at all. Bournemouth spent 80 million this window alone, with premier league money pretty much all bottom half sides have serious cash and are happy to splash it, Newcastle have an incredibly restrictive wage/transfer budget and on that basis Rafa has done a good job staying up. All your 'they'll be higher with an attacking manager!' stuff is pure speculation, nothing more or less.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good to see the back of him.
Arse of a guy, hates us, Pool link, and you know he's always hell bent to stick one up us.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
This hot take on spending 33m/yr brought to you from 2006.

Hughie77

Off to China for big money if correct.? Thought he did well at the Toon, not fussed on the guy , but He's done pretty well wherever he's been.

Who's for Newcastle now?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
£100m is nothing in this time and place (as odd as "£100m is nothing" sounds). It also felt like Rafa would usually have to sell before he could buy... he basically ran a PL club and kept them up on a shoestring.

Not raving about him as a manager or his style but he was doing that job hamstrung. Plenty of managers would have struggled.

GlasgowCeltic

Ashley just wants to do enough to avoid Prem relegation, same for Utd re top four relegation.

Rafa's a legend there just for wanting the club to one day eventually decide it wants to actually comete.

Champ

Fulham spent 100m in a single window. Crystal Palace spent getting on for 50m in 17/18 on the likes of Sakho/Riedewald/Sorloth, and in 16/17 spent an absolute fortune - over 30 on Benteke, 15 on Townsend, 15 on Milivojevic etc, with double figure sums also spent on the likes of Schlupp, Tomkins and Van Aanholt. In 18/19 they didn't spend much but they did secure big loans for the likes of Batshuayi (likely paying a lot of the wages) and gave a bumper contract to star man Zaha.

'Nearly 100m' in 3 seasons for a team with one of (if not the lowest of the surviving sides?) the lowest wage budgets in the league is not a lot, like at all. Bournemouth spent 80 million this window alone, with premier league money pretty much all bottom half sides have serious cash and are happy to splash it, Newcastle have an incredibly restrictive wage/transfer budget and on that basis Rafa has done a good job staying up. All your 'they'll be higher with an attacking manager!' stuff is pure speculation, nothing more or less.
Rafa inherited a team that had spent £100m near enough in one transfer window! He also spent as much as crystal palace in his seasons as manager all together just about, to say he over achieved is nonsensical, he's got Newcastle at their level.
And yes it is speculation to say that about an attacking manager but as I've mentioned previously, Newcastle got more points and won more games towards the latter end of the season because they started to play more expansive football, instead of the negative dross he served up before hand. So their is 'facts' behind my speculation...see what I did there? :lol:;)
I'm sensible enough to know he's a decent manager, I just feel that he has definitely not over achieved at Newcastle, he's merely got them where they should be.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Rafa inherited a team that had spent £100m near enough in one transfer window! He also spent as much as crystal palace in his seasons as manager all together just about, to say he over achieved is nonsensical, he's got Newcastle at their level.
And yes it is speculation to say that about an attacking manager but as I've mentioned previously, Newcastle got more points and won more games towards the latter end of the season because they started to play more expansive football, instead of the negative dross he served up before hand. So their is 'facts' behind my speculation...see what I did there? :lol:;)
I'm sensible enough to know he's a decent manager, I just feel that he has definitely not over achieved at Newcastle, he's merely got them where they should be.
It was like 67m but yeah .. near enough 100m if you like. It was also a complete reworking of the squad having been relegated, so you're talking about spending 67m whilst selling 100m worth of players. A lot of the players brought in were just to fill squad spots and you're acting like they were big money transfers. Their key players like Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Janmaat, Krul and Townsend went out the door and had to be replaced, which is pretty hard when you're in the championship and only certain players will join you.

Crystal palace have spent more on transfers, have a significantly higher net spend (which yes does matter, if you're having to sell your key players to bring ones in, that's an issue .. Palace have retained their key players) and spend over a million more a week on wages. They finished a single place higher than Newcastle and you're acting like that's not a good finish and they should be expected to significantly improve. There's no basis for that at all. They don't have a better squad than the likes of Palace or Bournemouth.

He's got one of the lowest wage budgets in the league, a negative net spend (and an overall spend lower than most), and a cnut of an owner who makes things an absolute bitch in the transfer market, but he's managed to stay comfortably in the Premier League. Last season he had them 10th which was a very good finish, this season 13th when their target as usual under Ashley will simply be to tread water. He's done a good job there and Newcastle will badly struggle to find any manager who can improve on it. Just because they played more attacking football doesn't equate to any old manager with an attacking philosophy causing them to improve, Newcastle are a very structured and compact side who concede far less goals than others around them. They will lose that under a different coach who lacks the ability to set up a defence.

He's not achieved miracles at Newcastle, I'll say that. He's done what I would call a good job, exceeded the expectation of avoiding relegation two seasons in a row by instead staying up rather comfortably. There's a reason he's adored by the fans and they consider him the only reason they're still in the league, the squad really isn't very good barring a handful of decent players, and under a different manager could easily be relegated.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
You do wonder what goes through Mike Ashley's mind sometimes.

Here you have an excellent manager for Newcastle's current standing and you just annoy him enough he lets his contract run down.

Bizarre. No chance in next week or so Newcastle will find manager anywhere near close to Benitez level. Their last three before he came in were McClaren, John Carver and Pardew after all.

Rondon not been replaced either and he had pretty good season leading the line and scoring double figures.

Can see them getting relegated again.

Shadowcore

does this signal that newcastle are getting relegated?

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeeMike

Sorry if I'm not the first. Is it a case of Huawei The Lads?

Last edited by a moderator:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
25/1 for Moyes........David Moyes..........former Sunderland manager DAVID MOYES?!?!?!
Better odds than Wenger at 25/1. Can't for the life of me see why he would go there at all. Moyes would be a bad idea, but anyone they can get in is bound to be one relative to keeping Benitez. Only way is down for them.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Easy three points for Arsenal opening day then, probably end their dreadful away form with a win there against a managerless/David Moyes Newcastle side. Banner planes flying about, "You fat cockney bastard, get out of our club!" #Ashleyout.com repeat repeat repeat.. perfect start for Emery but fitting considering he was handed a tough start last season.

Basso

So I'm the only one that believes Rafa will sign a new contract with Newcastle. Childish negotiations by Ashley though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It was like 67m but yeah .. near enough 100m if you like. It was also a complete reworking of the squad having been relegated, so you're talking about spending 67m whilst selling 100m worth of players. A lot of the players brought in were just to fill squad spots and you're acting like they were big money transfers. Their key players like Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Janmaat, Krul and Townsend went out the door and had to be replaced, which is pretty hard when you're in the championship and only certain players will join you.
We all know net spend doesn't matter on the caf, brah. If you spend, it adds to the expectation.

Champ

Crystal palace have spent more on transfers, have a significantly higher net spend (which yes does matter, if you're having to sell your key players to bring ones in, that's an issue .. Palace have retained their key players) and spend over a million more a week on wages. They finished a single place higher than Newcastle and you're acting like that's not a good finish and they should be expected to significantly improve. There's no basis for that at all. They don't have a better squad than the likes of Palace or Bournemouth.

He's got one of the lowest wage budgets in the league, a negative net spend (and an overall spend lower than most), and a cnut of an owner who makes things an absolute bitch in the transfer market, but he's managed to stay comfortably in the Premier League. Last season he had them 10th which was a very good finish, this season 13th when their target as usual under Ashley will simply be to tread water. He's done a good job there and Newcastle will badly struggle to find any manager who can improve on it. Just because they played more attacking football doesn't equate to any old manager with an attacking philosophy causing them to improve, Newcastle are a very structured and compact side who concede far less goals than others around them. They will lose that under a different coach who lacks the ability to set up a defence.

He's not achieved miracles at Newcastle, I'll say that. He's done what I would call a good job, exceeded the expectation of avoiding relegation two seasons in a row by instead staying up rather comfortably. There's a reason he's adored by the fans and they consider him the only reason they're still in the league, the squad really isn't very good barring a handful of decent players, and under a different manager could easily be relegated.
Obviously going to agree to disagree on this.
What I will say is they did spent £97m in the season Rafa joined,.:eek:
They conceded a mere five less goals than Palace, yet scored nine less. A palace team with Benteke and Ayew as their strikers, whilst relying on Zaha, a winger to fill that gap.
People can paint it any which way they like but whilst the owner is an idiot at Newcastle, Rafa took Newcastle where they should be and mostly whilst playing negative football.
We'll see how well the new manager does and where Rafa ends up.
Probably in China as no other European club will be interested in dull pragmatic average tactics.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There are a lot of midtable European teams who would take Rafa. I doubt he will ever manage a top club again though.

Needham

Chinese forums already referring to him as yi ge pang de xibayan ren de fuwuyuan.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Will be interesting to see how he does at Dalian. They rely massively on Carrasco to do anything really. Hamsik has been awful for them so far. Carrasco is desperate to leave as well, he deliberately missed his flight to return late from Inty duty and was suspended due to it. If he goes, not sure how good of job Benitez can really do as they'll struggle to replace him. Having said that, there is very few Chinese teams that can actually defend (partly due to most teams having no foreigners in defence) so if he can sort that out then he might do alright.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty much retirement for Rafa I guess. Collect 30-40m for 3 years work.

Can't see him coming back to serious club management after this spell. Probably turn up as a pundit somewhere.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I think Rafa has played a blinder and has been able to do so because Mike Ashley is viewed so negatively. He has managed to walk away from a club he claims he had grown attached to for a huge pay day in China and has been able to steer the narrative in his favour. Compare the reaction to the usual almost villifying of players that go to China painted as cold blooded mercenaries.

Rafa is smart and I don't think his affinity with fans at his clubs is ever 100% genuine. I think it's in part at least a ploy to simply get them firmly onside as it gives him more power in the politics games he loves to play with his employers.

He's (or was) an elite level manager and done a great job as interim with us and I actually thought fan behaviour towards him at the time was fairly pathetic and at times embarrassing.

His liking for engaging in club politics and PR battles is probably what has led to him heading to china a few years earlier than ideal. For modern day owners I think he would definitely be viewed as high maintenance.

Reactions: Carolina Red

criticalanalysis

I think Rafa has played a blinder and has been able to do so because Mike Ashley is viewed so negatively. He has managed to walk away from a club he claims he had grown attached to for a huge pay day in China and has been able to steer the narrative in his favour. Compare the reaction to the usual almost villifying of players that go to China painted as cold blooded mercenaries.

Rafa is smart and I don't think his affinity with fans at his clubs is ever 100% genuine. I think it's in part at least a ploy to simply get them firmly onside as it gives him more power in the politics games he loves to play with his employers.

He's (or was) an elite level manager and done a great job as interim with us and I actually thought fan behaviour towards him at the time was fairly pathetic and at times embarrassing.

His liking for engaging in club politics and PR battles is probably what has led to him heading to china a few years earlier than ideal. For modern day owners I think he would definitely be viewed as high maintenance.
Personally I wouldn't care one bit if there was any 'real' emotional attachment (although directly and indirectly this obviously helps) as long as they are professional and absolutely deliver whether it be a player or manager.

In this case Benitez has done more than fine.