Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickosaur

Rafael season review:

Despite having a below par season, that's a nice compilation.

Obviously it misses a lot of his brainfarts, but still. Madness that some want him gone after one dodgy (but not awful) campaign.

Jaxa

Rafael season review:

Nice video, I really hope he can recover from these injuries and have a great few seasons injury free, he's clearly our best RB and a perfect player for us, great defending, pacey and loves to bomb up those wings or even up the middle in attack mode, would be ridiculous to get rid of this little Genius!

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Still have an unhealthy man crush on him even though it wasn't his greatest season. Still such a stronger side with him in the side and I'm sure if he is fit, he will thrive under a manager like van Gaal. He looked uncomfortable at times with Moyes next to him on the sideline.

Annahnomoss

A lot of questions about Rafael and his coming season, is he worth it as a number one with his injury problems and stagnated growth?

Playing with Valencia is an impossible task offensively, but the question is if he has grown offensively these last two years or not. As on match-day he hasn't been give a real chance to practice or prove he has developed in that regard.

Since Valencia dropped in form two years ago Rafael has lost the confidence needed to make that darting overlapping run. He realizes Valencia won't use the run well enough to justify giving the opponent a counter-threat down the space Rafael just left behind himself.

Even when he has played with other wingers on the right he hasn't been able to switch that offensively confident Rafael who trusts in his team mates to handle it and cover for him even if the opponents counters after he made an overlap/run past the defense.

I am hoping van Gaal sets him straight which I believe he can as he often gives very clear orders to his players rather than tell them to just do what they do best.

Eric'sCollar

A lot of questions about Rafael and his coming season, is he worth it as a number one with his injury problems and stagnated growth
I assume you mean growth in regards to his performance levels? If so, I think the season just gone needs to be put to the side, he was developing very well, one of our best players in Fergie's last season, everyone struggled this year.

ZDwyr

I'm kind of glad for our sake (United) that he doesn't get picked for Brazil. He can get himself right physically and make sure he trains well and can look to be 100% at the start of the season. Hopefully he can get a good run with injuries under LvG.

thejtrain

Really hope LvG sees his potential and uses him to his strengths. He may not have had his best season, but he was ok when he played and it was mostly injuries pulling him back. With experience, I'm sure he will become a great RB.

Annahnomoss

I assume you mean growth in regards to his performance levels? If so, I think the season just gone needs to be put to the side, he was developing very well, one of our best players in Fergie's last season, everyone struggled this year.
I mean, he is 24 in a month and his growth as a player hasn't quite lived up to the prognosis that I had for him at least. When we signed him I expected him to be quite above where he currently is - 6 years in to his United career. We signed a world-class talent which I believe most of us would have hoped would have been 2 years ahead his current schedule, but of course his injury problems has meant he only had one full season as a starter - which is quite a little for a 24 year old.

Shaw has had 60 league games so far and he is 18, Rafael has had 99 and is 5-6 year older. Rodriquez and Alaba has had more league games than Rafael and they are 21.

I am not sure if Rafael is even better than those either, even with the age advantage he does have over them. So for me I see him as a player most likely to become one of the better full-backs in the EPL, but chances for him to become the best full-back in the world is slimmer for every injury. It seems like for every injury troubled season he has another 1-2 full-backs of his age or younger appears and plays at his level.

Like Coleman or Azpilicueta etc, the question is whether Rafael can start outgrowing all these players and improve at a faster rate than them. It isn't impossible of course, but history usually has a strange way of repeating itself which is a negative for Rafael.

I wouldn't be upset either if we kept him or if van Gaal decided to replace him of course assuming he already sorted the other issues the team has first.

Eric'sCollar

I see your points @Annahnomoss

In my opinion though, that's more down to expecation rather than looking at specific reasons on what has actually happened. Shaw has had those games but Rafael had to break into the European champions, Shaw didn't. Rafael had to move to the other side of the world, Shaw didn't. I can go on all day about that, size of club, language barrier, level of competition etc.

In no way am I saying any of this to suggest Rafael is or will be better than Shaw or anything, Shaw looks a great talent. When Rafael had a pretty much injury free season (in a team doing well, not 7th), he was the best RB in the league. He wasn't able to go on with it, who knows what that was down to, his hamstrong injury in the Community Shield, Moyes, his own complacency, who knows but he is still growing as a footballer and has shown great improvement in all aspects of his game.

Going out and improving on Rafael is going to cost big money, it woudl seem such a huge waste when we have a very good, potentially even great RB already who loves the club and shows the passion needed to get ourselves out of this mess.

We doo need cover for him but I would stick with Rafael as number one every day of the week.

Brightonian

I mean, he is 24 in a month and his growth as a player hasn't quite lived up to the prognosis that I had for him at least.
Seems a bit unfair, and unduly influenced by this season (in which he hasn't even been bad, just injured). Last season he was easily one of our best and most consistent performers, and considered one of the top two RBs in the league. For a 23-year-old, I'd say that reflects excellent growth, very much in line with his potential.

Brightonian

Rafael season review:

Awesome video, MM. And it shows that his level hasn't really dropped from the heights of last year, he's just had a worse season overall because it's been so disrupted with injuries (and because he's been playing in a struggling team).

If he can shake the injuries off - and I don't know why, exactly, but I'm confident he will - then within the next few years he'll cement a place as the best RB in the league.

The way he takes that ball down and past Hazard at 2:11 is just :drool:

Annahnomoss

I see your points @Annahnomoss

In my opinion though, that's more down to expecation rather than looking at specific reasons on what has actually happened. Shaw has had those games but Rafael had to break into the European champions, Shaw didn't. Rafael had to move to the other side of the world, Shaw didn't. I can go on all day about that, size of club, language barrier, level of competition etc.

In no way am I saying any of this to suggest Rafael is or will be better than Shaw or anything, Shaw looks a great talent. When Rafael had a pretty much injury free season (in a team doing well, not 7th), he was the best RB in the league. He wasn't able to go on with it, who knows what that was down to, his hamstrong injury in the Community Shield, Moyes, his own complacency, who knows but he is still growing as a footballer and has shown great improvement in all aspects of his game.

Going out and improving on Rafael is going to cost big money, it woudl seem such a huge waste when we have a very good, potentially even great RB already who loves the club and shows the passion needed to get ourselves out of this mess.

We doo need cover for him but I would stick with Rafael as number one every day of the week.
The issue only exists if he continues being injury prone. Replacing Rafael would be expensive, but keeping him while having a back-up RB who can handle the big games without United becoming less of a team is going to be pricey as well.

Varela is 21, so if he goes in and handles Cristiano, Ribery and Hazard - would he accept a role getting games only when Rafael is injured? He wouldn't of course and splitting the matches wouldn't be good for either of them as they are both lacking match-training at the top level for their age. Varela has just had one first team appearance in his life so he would need every minute he could as a starter to develop well.

The only situation where we end up looking great is if Rafael remains injury free and Varela/Smalling/Jones gets game-time just as a rotation in easier games.

So for me it is fully understandable if LVG saw more benefit for United if we sold Rafael, or bought someone else who can play in big matches as well.

LR7

Loved that YouTube posted above. Not sure why I'm so late to learn it existed (HowardNurse-itis?)

Anyway, I maintain that Rafael is my favourite player, and that video showed a bit of why. It's the commitment, determination, and passion mostly, but I also love the way he drive the team forward brilliantly at times. His link-up play is one of his best attributes and imo the team doesn't function the same without him. He covers up for Valencia's deficiencies going forward a lot of the time as well.

Future captain in the making I reckon. :drool:

Brightonian

Varela is 21, so if he goes in and handles Cristiano, Ribery and Hazard - would he accept a role getting games only when Rafael is injured? He wouldn't of course and splitting the matches wouldn't be good for either of them as they are both lacking match-training at the top level for their age. Varela has just had one first team appearance in his life so he would need every minute he could as a starter to develop well.
This is the crux of your point and it's just wrong. It's accepted wisdom that you ease youngsters in, you don't immediately play them as much as possible. That's exactly why using Varela as Rafael's back-up is a good option - because if Rafa does manage to stay mostly fit, Varela won't mind only getting the odd game here and there. He can keep playing games for the U21s so he's still playing regular football, and he's not going to start moaning because even a little bit of first team football is good for a player trying to advance from the reserves.

LR7

I'm still annoyed that Moyes was allowed to sell Fabio. Beyond happy that we got rid of him before he did more damage this summer though.

Manucho the boss

He had a disappointing season by the standard he set for himself in 2012/2013.

He's not the most mentally strong player though and gets frustrated very easily so when the team isn't doing well he's a bit of a liability. Needs to mature, he's not a kid anymore.

LR7

I don't buy this "he's a liability when the team isn't doing well" myth. He's often one of the few who still plays like he gives a f*ck when we aren't playing well. He always looks like he's giving 100% too. It's a rarity that he lets his head get lost in a game these days, and yet people throw the claim around as if it's commonplace.

He didn't have a great season, but only DDG did consistently. Thats one player out of a 25 man squad. Rooney was brilliant initially but also he was shit and injured in parts as well, Januzaj and Welbeck had good spells here and there. Rafael's season was intermittent because of injuries not because his form was awful.

Reckon LvG will love him.

Manucho the boss

I don't buy this "he's a liability when the team isn't doing well" myth. He's often one of the few who still plays like he gives a f*ck when we aren't playing well. He always looks like he's giving 100% too. It's a rarity that he lets his head get lost in a game these days, and yet people throw the claim around as if it's commonplace.

He didn't have a great season, but only DDG did consistently. Thats one player out of a 25 man squad. Rooney was brilliant initially but also he was shit and injured in parts as well, Januzaj and Welbeck had good spells here and there. Rafael's season was intermittent because of injuries not because his form was awful.

Reckon LvG will love him.
There's controlled aggression then there's just getting caught up in the moment. The home loss to Liverpool was bad enough but it could have been any score if he'd been sent off after half an hour as he easily could have been. He was stupid to get a cheap yellow card early in that game with a "crowd pleasing" late tackle on Gerrard near their corner flag, that's not showing heart, that's playing up to idiots in the crowd who cheered for the passion he showed, he could easily have cost us the game right there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

LR7

There's controlled aggression then there's just getting caught up in the moment. The home loss to Liverpool was bad enough but it could have been any score if he'd been sent off after half an hour as he easily could have been. He was stupid to get a cheap yellow card early in that game with a "crowd pleasing" late tackle on Gerrard near their corner flag, that's not showing heart, that's playing up to idiots in the crowd who cheered for the passion he showed, he could easily have cost us the game right there.
That hardly happens with any degree of frequency though. It's not as if it's a common occurrence. He was actually our best player in that Liverpool game and I'm pretty sure I remember Gerrard doing something equally reckless minutes before or after the Rafael challenge. These things happen in games against rivals and it's why referees tend to let more go in those games because they expect it to a certain extent.
We might have done a lot better last season if most of our players had Rafael's passion and commitment on the pitch.

LR7

In the Liverpool game, he had just come back from a night of no sleep and his wife giving birth. It's understandable why he lost his head. That was the worst he had been all season and people used that game to stick the liability myth on him as hard as they could, for both matches in the past as a form of hyperbole, and reasons why he wouldn't be good enough in the future.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-united-defender-rafael-only-3254436#ixzz2wKewzQgR
I'm pretty sure I voted him for motm that game. I definitely don't think it was the worst he had been, because of one tackle.

Edit: I wasn't the only one either: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/motm-vs-liverpool-h.386574/

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

NMF

He should be one of the last players we sell, one of the few who play for the badge. Although his injuries are creeping in again so a reliable backup needs to come in.

Annahnomoss

This is the crux of your point and it's just wrong. It's accepted wisdom that you ease youngsters in, you don't immediately play them as much as possible. That's exactly why using Varela as Rafael's back-up is a good option - because if Rafa does manage to stay mostly fit, Varela won't mind only getting the odd game here and there. He can keep playing games for the U21s so he's still playing regular football, and he's not going to start moaning because even a little bit of first team football is good for a player trying to advance from the reserves.
This is only an accepted wisdom in England which is why they can't compare to youngsters abroad. Should Luke Shaw be "eased" in for Southampton for 3 more years until he is Varela's age? Do you think Rodriquez and Alaba should have been eased in to the team and lose 70% of their match-experience the last two-three years?

Also I already stated the same thing, if Rafael manages to stay fit like a regular player then Varela would of course accept the role and we would be well of. But that is a big if too, look at the cover we have up front and compare it to the cover we have at the full-back positions. Clear lack of depth there and unfortunate injuries could hurt us in a tight league-run and of course the cups are decided by just one-two games.

Smalling and Jones has been our utility options previously and has worked as cover to Rafael. But I doubt they will be capable to fill that utility role in LVG's vision of the team which means dominating possession even against the other top sides. So changing the style means our back-up options are gone.

If Rafael continues having injury problems I would certainly see reason to buy a utility player who can act as a solid back-up in plenty of the defensive positions in big matches. I wouldn't mind if LVG considered Rafael too injury prone to be the first-option as well.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Varela is nowhere near ready to play for the first team. Decision making is very poor. Keane or Vermijl might prove able backups though.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Like the season before last, he can go an entire season injury free. He would be one of the last players we should sell, I really do not understand the complete 360 degree turn some our fans have done on him, he's gone from best right back in the league to a liability. Make your fecking minds up. Also, considering apart from the fact he has the ability to back it up, he actually plays with the passion, desire and commitment that a lot of the players last year were lacking. I can also say some of the fans are lacking that at the moment too. Its very easy to turn on a player bit its very hard to actually respect them, case in point, the absolutely pathetic hatred of Young and Valencia, get over yourselves.

Fbh112

squelchy shoes
Think we'll definitely see a much improved Rafael next season, think his anger of our situation, players around him not trying etc all boiled over. He has that fiery side to him but the season before last he was much more controlled. He'll thrive under LVG it seems to be a very likeable character that managers would take too. Staying clear of injury too will make a massive difference. Perhaps the risk of injury will be nullified with the new coaching methods.

footballgirl07

Has text which translates: Happy birthday to u and not only has one brother and one guy friend who always by my side for anything ta te amoo much my brother that u can enjoy this very day.

Dante

Average bang

Has text which translates: Happy birthday to u and not only has one brother and one guy friend who always by my side for anything ta te amoo much my brother that u can enjoy this very day.
You can tell them apart because Fabio is the one wearing a wedding ring.

REJE

Saddens me to see so many people wanting him to be sold.. One of the few players left who really plays for the badge, and not for the paycheck. It seems our fanbase demands players to give a 10/10, play every game, every year without injury or a drop in form, or be sold. No wonder people hate us, worse than fecking scousers.

An Irish Red

One of my favourite players at the club and I really don't get how some of our fans want him sold. It's nearly as strange as the fact that Maicon is in that Brazil team and he isn't.

In hindsight that was probably for the best though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He won't be sold. He is a lifer at the club as long as he keeps performing. He's clearly adjusted well to England and unless he fancies a change of scene he will be our RB for many years to come.

Will also fit LVG'S wing back role perfectly.

acnumber9

He won't be sold. He is a lifer at the club as long as he keeps performing. He's clearly adjusted well to England and unless he fancies a change of scene he will be our RB for many years to come.

Will also fit LVG'S wing back role perfectly.
He'll need to improve on last year if he wants a long term future.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Saddens me to see so many people wanting him to be sold.. One of the few players left who really plays for the badge, and not for the paycheck. It seems our fanbase demands players to give a 10/10, play every game, every year without injury or a drop in form, or be sold. No wonder people hate us, worse than fecking scousers.
Agreed. I love the guy as well. I think it's probably a little harsh to judge anyone based on last season. Moyes seemed to suck all of the United out of United. The only player playing to his ability was De Gea. Everything infront of him was a shadow of it is capable of.

Rafael was brilliant the season before, and has been mostly very good before that. He's still relatively young too. I'd hate to see him sold. He's a very good player.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Who wants him sold? Fecking idiots that's who!

Status
Not open for further replies.