Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
They seem to be popping up, so I thought why not start it for my man crush.

Interesting season coming up for Rafael. Like many players last year, it was one to forget but his fight and passion showed just how much it hurt him, so I expect him to bounce back.

If the move to a 3 at the back proves to be a permanent one, I do think that his quality will earn him a place over Valencia but there is no doubting he will face stiff competition from Valencia. I have always felt Rafael would excel in a 352 but he really needs to find his form from 2012/13 again. Lets hope he learns a lot off van Gaal and we continue to see him mature.

Hopefully his rest and a good, injury free pre-season sets him up nicely for the season.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I would have Raf over Valencia as the starting wingback. If this system gets him forward a lot more than we'll get to see more gems like this one against QPR:

:drool:

Eric'sCollar

Yep, more of this please

In all seriousness though, he has been around a while now but is still a young player. So hopefully van Gaal likes his energy and enthusiasm and continues to develop him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
I'm not sure he'll be first choice. He'll play a fair bit, but so will Valencia - assuming Van Gaal's going for 3-5-2.

Eric'sCollar

I think Valencia's defensive awareness will place him below Rafael. Valencia is obviously one hell of an athlete though (not that Rafa isn't) and that is a big tick in the box for a wingback.

Hopefully a good battle between the two and it gets the best out of them.

In saying that, van Gaal will adapt to every situation, so there are going to be plenty of times we see a flat 4 at the back and Rafael has proven that he is a far better RB than Valencia.

ottosec

Should be first choice and I'm convinced he will show LVG that. Gonna be a great season for him, I know it!

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Has to finally have an injury free season. But it's a huge risk not to,have a Rb alternative.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I actually reckon he'll mature an awful lot more under Luis. LVG will look to keep the energy in his game while making him less hot-headed. If he does that, I reckon that Rafael will go from strength to strength and possibly maintain that right back spot for years to come.

Redo91

Valencia isn't an option as a RB or RWB IMO. He is such a liability there. Any time Moyes put him at RB last season he seemed to be at fault for a goal (Everton and Spurs at home immediately spring to mind).

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Valencia isn't an option as a RB or RWB IMO. He is such a liability there. Any time Moyes put him at RB last season he seemed to be at fault for a goal (Everton and Spurs at home immediately spring to mind).
Juventus bought Asamoah as a CM and have him playing on the left of a 3 back formation. He's done well there as well. If he can do it, Valencia can too. It's like a mix between RM and RB, we know he isn't the greatest in either position, so maybe a wingback role will suit him better.

Redo91

Juventus bought Asamoah as a CM and have him playing on the left of a 3 back formation. He's done well there as well. If he can do it, Valencia can too. It's like a mix between RM and RB, we know he isn't the greatest in either position, so maybe a wingback role will suit him better.
I don't see why Asamoah being able to do it has anything at all do with Valencia ability to play in the position.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
I don't see why Asamoah being able to do it has anything at all do with Valencia ability to play in the position.
Well Valencia playing on the right hand side for most of his career would help him transition easier. I used Asamoah as an example as he transitioned there from a position which is a lot different. Valencia has the attributes, I don't see why he cant play there.

Redo91

Well Valencia playing on the right hand side for most of his career would help him transition easier. I used Asamoah as an example as he transitioned there from a position which is a lot different. Valencia has the attributes, I don't see why he cant play there.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Asamoah a CDM who also occasionally played wide on the left? As a result he would have been used to having defensive responsibility and also experienced playing on the wing. While Valencia would have no problem with playing wide he doesn't have the most important attribute of all, that being defensive awareness. He got caught out a number of times last season when playing at RB and I would hate to see him played there or RWB.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Asamoah a CDM who also occasionally played wide on the left? As a result he would have been used to having defensive responsibility and also experienced playing on the wing. While Valencia would have no problem with playing wide he doesn't have the most important attribute of all, that being defensive awareness. He got caught out a number of times last season when playing at RB and I would hate to see him played there or RWB.
Him being picked at RB/RWB by three managers suggests he can offer something there. He has switched off at RB before but van Gaal coming in and agreeing (or insisting) on Valencia being offered a new contract suggest he feels he can also be a good WB. Valencia will also have cover from the third CB and the DM I guess.

Redo91

Him being picked at RB/RWB by three managers suggests he can offer something there. He has switched off at RB before but van Gaal coming in and agreeing (or insisting) on Valencia being offered a new contract suggest he feels he can also be a good WB. Valencia will also have cover from the third CB and the DM I guess.
SAF didn't use him as a RB that often at all. Moyes picking him as a RB sort of backs up my argument that he isn't up to it! :p LVG only played him there in one friendly. He played James at LWB but doubt we will see much of him once the season starts.

Besides I'm not convinced we will be playing with a back 3 once the season starts. LVG is just trying out different options at the minute but I can see us predominantly using an orthodox back 4 once the season starts.

ZDwyr

Hopefully he can have an injury-free season. If he does that then I'm pretty confident he can find his best form.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
SAF didn't use him as a RB that often at all. Moyes picking him as a RB sort of backs up my argument that he isn't up to it! :p LVG only played him there in one friendly. He played James at LWB but doubt we will see much of him once the season starts.

Besides I'm not convinced we will be playing with a back 3 once the season starts. LVG is just trying out different options at the minute but I can see us predominantly using an orthodox back 4 once the season starts.
I thought van Gaal confirmed we will be using 3 at the back this season?

Redo91

I thought van Gaal confirmed we will be using 3 at the back this season?
Did he? I thought he said it was one formation he was trying out during pre-season but it wasn't necessarily the formation he intended using this season. He would have used 433 with the Netherlands at the WC (they used it throughout qualifying) but Strootmans injury forced a rethink. He also used 433 at Bayern.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Did he? I thought he said it was one formation he was trying out during pre-season but it wasn't necessarily the formation he intended using this season. He would have used 433 with the Netherlands at the WC (they used it throughout qualifying) but Strootmans injury forced a rethink. He also used 433 at Bayern.
After the game I think he did an interview saying he'd be using 3 at the back this season.

Redo91

After the game I think he did an interview saying he'd be using 3 at the back this season.
I say some article saying that he said something along those lines but when I read it I didn't get that impression at all. I really hope we don't go with 3 at the back tbh.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Has to finally have an injury free season. But it's a huge risk not to,have a Rb alternative.
If we're not playing with a traditional RB this season then it's not an issue. Rafa and Valencia for the RWB spot.

Carl

Oh and van Gaal has confirmed we'll be using 3 at the back this coming season.

footballgirl07

Obviously Rafael is clearly the better defender out of the two and I still rate him going forward higher than Valencia has shown recently. I think he will do really well under LVG and we will see that last season was just a blip, like for many of the players. Was also one of a few players that actually played like they cared still last season as well. Big season for Rafael!

Carl

S**t! Not a fan of a back 3 at all. Very surprised he won't be playing with out and out wingers.
We haven't got any that are really up to it so not much of a surprise at all. Also, as he said we have a lot of #10s so that's influenced his thinking.

JSMHE

In 352 I prefer Valencia. Valencia has a better stamina and hard working which make this formation better for him than Rafael. When we are attacking it's probably will be 343. When we are defending it will be 532. Rafael passing seems worse since last season even during the pre season against LA. This is why I'm guessing Valencia would be a favour choice.
But I'm 100% LVG is trying his best to make our team to be suitable in 433 system by signing some players. Rafael is more suitable for this one.

An Irish Red

In 352 I prefer Valencia. Valencia has a better stamina and hard working which make this formation better for him than Rafael. When we are attacking it's probably will be 343. When we are defending it will be 532. Rafael passing seems worse since last season even during the pre season against LA. This is why I'm guessing Valencia would be a favour choice.
But I'm 100% LVG is trying his best to make our team to be suitable in 433 system by signing some players. Rafael is more suitable for this one.
But Valencia is much worse defensively. Rafael would be a clear first choice if it was up to me but we'll have to see what happens.

JSMHE

But Valencia is much worse defensively. Rafael would be a clear first choice if it was up to me but we'll have to see what happens.
The wing back in 352 or 343 is more advanced than defensive. But then you need to be more discipline, not lazy to help the defense and this is why LVG pick Kuyt for this role.

Timdbro

The wing back in 352 or 343 is more advanced than defensive. But then you need to be more discipline, not lazy to help the defense and this is why LVG pick Kuyt for this role.
No one would call Valencia lazy I think, but his defensive instincts are far behind Rafael's (as he's shown time and again when we plugged him in at RB).
Either way, barring a few more acquisitions in the transfer market, it would almost certainly be a time share between the two in the 3-5-2 formation.

Redo91

We haven't got any that are really up to it so not much of a surprise at all. Also, as he said we have a lot of #10s so that's influenced his thinking.
I agree we have very few quality wingers at the moment but he has plenty of money to go out and buy them. Sanchez was available for just over £30 million and is a world class winger. I doubt he is attainable but we should offer £40+ million to Dortmund for Reus and see if we have any luck. Also although it isn't his best position Januzaj is a decent winger in his own right.

Carl

I agree we have very few quality wingers at the moment but he has plenty of money to go out and buy them. Sanchez was available for just over £30 million and is a world class winger. I doubt he is attainable but we should offer £40+ million to Dortmund for Reus and see if we have any luck. Also although it isn't his best position Januzaj is a decent winger in his own right.
But then what does he do with all of his #10s? It was never realistic especially considering money is needed elsewhere also. The only way he could do it is by playing players out of position.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He really needs to cut down his impulsiveness to commit silly errors and petulance on the pitch. I'd be surprised if none of the senior players have taken him aside and explained how not to get on the wrong side of the referee and get booked so often. He shows a lack of maturity with advancing years.

Redo91

But then what does he do with all of his #10s? It was never realistic especially considering money is needed elsewhere also. The only way he could do it is by playing players out of position.
Kagawa should be sold. Could probably get between £10-15 million for him. Given all the number 10's we have there is no need for him. That would leave us with Rooney, Mata and Januzaj as our number 10's with the latter two capable of filling in out wide. To be honest if an offer of £40+ came in from the likes of PSG or Chelsea for Rooney I would be very tempted to take it. Mata is the better number 10 (with RVP the better number 9) and Januzaj is the future in that position. Probably in the minority with that opinion but it's just that, my opinion.

Ekeke

I hope he stays injury free and gets back to being a solid defender. He was very dodgy last season, not much different to his first season.

The new wingback system should hopefully see him improve in attack as well. He doesn't seem to have as much about him going forward as when he first arrived for whatever reason.

Deleted member 78215

Kagawa should be sold. Could probably get between £10-15 million for him. Given all the number 10's we have there is no need for him. That would leave us with Rooney, Mata and Januzaj as our number 10's with the latter two capable of filling in out wide. To be honest if an offer of £40+ came in from the likes of PSG or Chelsea for Rooney I would be very tempted to take it. Mata is the better number 10 (with RVP the better number 9) and Januzaj is the future in that position. Probably in the minority with that opinion but it's just that, my opinion.
We actually only have two number 10s, I don't understand the assumption that we have an abundance of players there. Rooney is not naturally a 10. He is a striker, pure and simple. Januzaj is nowhere near ready to be a 10 at a major team yet. He's good on the wing, for now.

I'm not even going to count Fellaini, for obvious reasons.

Carl

Perhaps, but that circles back to a previous point. The fact that Van Gaal has said he wants to get to know his players on this tour. It comes as no surprise to me that we haven't seen this mass exodus everyone else seemed to be expecting.

Carl

We actually only have two number 10s, I don't understand the assumption that we have an abundance of players there. Rooney is not naturally a 10. He is a striker, pure and simple. Januzaj is nowhere near ready to be a 10 at a major team yet. He's good on the wing, for now.

I'm not even going to count Fellaini, for obvious reasons.
Van Gaal says we have 4. Van Gaal > TooBias

Kagawa, Mata and Januzaj are all #10s. I don't like Rooney there but that's where he's played his entire career so it's not exactly unusual for him to be described as a #10.

caid

Yep, more of this please

In all seriousness though, he has been around a while now but is still a young player. So hopefully van Gaal likes his energy and enthusiasm and continues to develop him.
Love that goal, reminds me of the whiteside one.

Out of interest do you think he could cover lb? Just thought he might because of fabio.

Status
Not open for further replies.