Rafael da Silva on Anderson, Moyes and United

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not sure what to make of this. I’ve read so many contradicting stories on Moyes. All I can say is, I think Fergie has regretted the decision as time has gone by.
Yeah I’d definitely think he regretted it but as both @sullydnl and @Tom Van Persie confirmed, Moyes definitely wasn’t 1st (nor 2nd - 4th at the very least! :lol:) choice. That much we do know.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
It's all about Moyes! He was a fool when he arrived. Swinging his big glaswiegan beller around . Should have befriended the players before twisting their mellons.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Andos eating didn't help but the leg break and the acl at United probably held him back more. I don't think Rooney ate well for an athlete but luckily for him he didn't have potential career ending injuries. But then again you have Shaw who has had 2 big injuries and then got himself together.
Yes I think these played a big part, the first injury before he even arrived and then the second oe....added of coruse to the fact he ,aybe didn thave the appetite (ironic) to really work his body to recover properly from them.

We never saw Gremio or Porto Anderson here and lookign back it is a mircale he alsted for eight seasons. I have to say I absolutely lvoed him the first coupel fo seasons though, if he could have just took games by the scruff of the nexk with progression he would have been a fantastic player even though a changed one from his early career

MphoG

W
Yes I think these played a big part, the first injury before he even arrived and then the second oe....added of coruse to the fact he ,aybe didn thave the appetite (ironic) to really work his body to recover properly from them.

We never saw Gremio or Porto Anderson here and lookign back it is a mircale he alsted for eight seasons. I have to say I absolutely lvoed him the first coupel fo seasons though, if he could have just took games by the scruff of the nexk with progression he would have been a fantastic player even though a changed one from his early career
Every time it seemed like was pushing on, he’d get injured

Josep Dowling

Sir Alex was the main man for 27 years and controlled everything. No one coming in could retain that level of control. The players weren’t going to respect him as much as they did with the previous manager. On top of a very poorly assembled squad which Sir Alex managed to get the best out of but wasn’t in great shape, regardless of the league position the year before. Once Van Persie got injured the rest of the squad was exposed, conceding lots of goals.

Loved Rafael, and i still feel rage that that cheating scrote Vardy effectively ended his career with us. Still, glad that he had a good career with us and afterwards.

Moyes would never have worked. Humility is something he obviously doesn't possess even now. The players must have been laughing at him when he turned up trying to tell them what's what.

Revan

Assumptionman
Strange comment. His passing was fine. Couldn't shoot to save his life though.
His passing most definitely was not fine. He passed with such power, players had troubles controlling the ball when it came from him. And his passing percentage was the worst it of all our midfielders.

UncleBob

Sir Alex was the main man for 27 years and controlled everything. No one coming in could retain that level of control. The players weren’t going to respect him as much as they did with the previous manager. On top of a very poorly assembled squad which Sir Alex managed to get the best out of but wasn’t in great shape, regardless of the league position the year before. Once Van Persie got injured the rest of the squad was exposed, conceding lots of goals.
Fergies level of control isn't a criteria for success.

The squad wasn't very poorly assembled either. Competition wasn't exactly insane, but we still won the league with 89 points, same points as the season before. 28 wins, 86 goals. It was hardly a shite group of players. We needed someone to come in, play to our strengths and experience, offload players and bring in new ones.

In terms of respect, you need to understand the group of players you're managing, which were essentially experienced players that had won plenty of trophies. People are skeptic to changes, and when you're doing well it's especially difficult. It's easier to convince players in a relegation battle that they've been doing it wrong for a long long time, not so much for newly crowned PL winners. Moyes walked in, made daft decisions where he got rid of key persons, brought in his own, while having the aura of someone that had won a competition to be manager for a weekend, banned certain types of food. Started the pre-season by being surprised at the popularity of the club when he took the players out for a walk, didn't have a clear plan on how he wanted the team to play, bragged about scouts starting to use Ipads. The type of power Fergie had, the respect the players had for the manager, it doesn't instantly go away just because it's someone else, though i reckon it didn't last long when they became aware that he had feck all idea what he was doing.

I don't think he had the mentality, the hunger. Plenty of bigger jobs than Everton, but he kept being overlooked for all of them. If Fergie hadn't popped up on his doorstep and told him he'd be taking over Manchester United there's no way he'd have left Everton that summer.

We conceded a lot of goals, but how much of that is down to Moyes and his tactical decisions? we were playing a centre midfield where Fellaini was supposed to be the defensive midfielder. We gave the opposition a straight path to run towards Vidic and Ferdinand. Instead of taking advantage of their strengths, we exposed their biggest weaknesses.

mohr

Didn't Anderson live together with Cristiano on the early days?
Wonder what the thought of each other's lifestyle :lol:

UncleBob

His passing most definitely was not fine. He passed with such power, players had troubles controlling the ball when it came from him. And his passing percentage was the worst it of all our midfielders.
Harsh.

And it wasn't.

His pass % is better than Gibsons, who was playing at the time, Anderson was usually in the mid 80's. Cleverly high 80's, around 90, but he played it very very safe.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I could imagine Anderson getting off the bus, he sniffs the whiff of a McChicken Deluxe, then closes his eyes, head tilts up towards the heavens as he screams "MACEEEDDEEEZ!!!!" :lol:

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It's all about Moyes! He was a fool when he arrived. Swinging his big glaswiegan beller around . Should have befriended the players before twisting their mellons.
I don't think there was anything Moyes could've done to overcome the fact that he'd won feck all as a player and manager and was walking into a dressing room of perennial winners. Maybe if he'd had a Pep level talent. But even then on he just had nothing to point to for respect

Cloud7

Moyes should never have been allowed anywhere near Old Trafford except as an opposing manager. He was neither a top class manager, nor a young manager chosen for his potential. He was an established, bland, known quantity in the league.

A manager like that has no place at a top club, and I can never fault the players for not trusting him. A manager like that needs to come in from day one and show what he's going to bring to the club. Moyes showed up and brought videos of Jagielka along with Felliani.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
That doesn't mean nobody could have succeeded. I think Ole had he come in then would have the respect of the squad at least as a fellow United player who knew the standards and as a former coach to a lot of them. Maybe they wouldn't have won the league but I have no doubt we'd have finished top 4 that year. We weren't even that bad in the first half of the season, Moyes grossly mismanaged the squad around Christmas overplaying Rio and Vidic and over time his tactical cowardice and small time mentality caught up with him. Ole would absolutely not have dithered on Thiago and have absolutely not bought Fellaini. That alone would have been a net positive in comparison to Moyes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
8 or so years since Moyes and it's still one of those decisions you can't genuinely believe.

The spin to try and cover it, with the "chosen one" replacement business, then it coming out that he was about 7th choice, and pure desperation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure what to make of this. I’ve read so many contradicting stories on Moyes. All I can say is, I think Fergie has regretted the decision as time has gone by.
Do you remember him saying something about how the real test would be Moyes winning 3 titles in a row :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Loved Rafael, and i still feel rage that that cheating scrote Vardy effectively ended his career with us. Still, glad that he had a good career with us and afterwards.

Moyes would never have worked. Humility is something he obviously doesn't possess even now. The players must have been laughing at him when he turned up trying to tell them what's what.
Yep, that Vardy cheating was infuriating.

The ref gambled that there was a foul from how Rafael stormed in, but he didn't actually touch him.
And having been smashed off the ball to start with which was a massive foul.

It killed Van Gaal's "free" style, Di Maria never seemed the same again, and if there was one game that seemed to upset the apple cart it was that one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Moyes should never have been allowed anywhere near Old Trafford except as an opposing manager. He was neither a top class manager, nor a young manager chosen for his potential. He was an established, bland, known quantity in the league.

A manager like that has no place at a top club, and I can never fault the players for not trusting him. A manager like that needs to come in from day one and show what he's going to bring to the club. Moyes showed up and brought videos of Jagielka along with Felliani.
It was sad times on the cafe, as grown United fans tried to put a brave face on it and insist he "could" be a great appointment.

Even the club had said the criteria was winning trophies and experience in Europe.

Moyes had none of the former and about 2 games in the latter.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What happened to Rafael? Injuries?

Seems a shame he is playing for a mid table Turkish side having only just turned 31, I always remember him being decent.
He had an uneven/poor season under Moyes. I remember a pattern in which he would start at RB with Valencia at RM, then at 0-0 or 0-1, 70 mins in, he'd get subbed off for Nani or Januzaj, putting Valencia at RB, and many times that just meant getting defensively worse rather than better going forward.

LvG lost faith in him after the 5-3 defeat to Leicester early in his first season - he also lost faith in the diamond which he was using to accommodate all the new attacking players. Rafael got "bullied" (fouled) by Vardy and then "brought him down" (Vardy dived) for a pen+red, which turned the game around. Never played regularly after that and sold at the end of the season.

Didn't follow him at Lyon much, no idea what happened there. From like 2015-17, I thought a half-decent Rafael would have been better than Valencia at RB, who got caught out of position a lot. Valencia finally improved his level in Jose's 2nd season.

James Peril

Four English titles and a CL. Anderson’s CV is nothing to laugh at.

He had the tools to be a baller but appetite and injuries are a disastrous combination. Ask Real Madrid about Eden Hazard.
Very true, and he smashed that penalty against Chelsea to to help us win - perfect. Anderson was a lovely player to have, give or take some fitness issues and consistency problems. He bossed games against the best players every now again, far ahead of Fred et al.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Always love Anderson for that penalty in Moscow.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Loved Anderson one of my favourite players. Fergie didn't make a mistake, to turn him into a CM, his surging runs, presses and some ball play were reallyy great to watch, it was also pretty hard to take him of the ball, he could cover it so well, yeah and his explosiveness and pace. Shame about his injuries if you do you ACL twice and leave out 2 years of football because of that and then have reoccuring hamstring injuries because of not playign for long, it's pretty frustrating. Eating part is fun, if he stayed fit, he'd be as fit as anyone..

OverratedOpinion

I think Anderson had a much better percentage of good performances/bad performances than people give him credit for.

I remember a game against Chelsea in the league cup where we lost in extra time in a really high scoring match. His performance in 90 minutes might have been one of the best midfield performances I have ever seen.

sp_107

I had always thought SAF actively wanted Moyes as his successor.
SAF tried Ancoletti, Klopp and also met Pep in new york restaurent but he alrady given a word to city by that time
I too believed Moyes was his first choice but actually it turned out that he was his last chance

Such a shame most of the top ones didnt have the balls to come to UTD as they all know its not easy to replicate his success.

Zen86

Ive been thinking about this a lot. I think a lot of Moyes’ problem is that no matter what he did the players wouldn’t respect him. He could have done the exact same processes that Ferguson did without any of the same results because of the lack of reputation. It’s why it is so important that a manager has the backing of the match day fans.
I think a certain degree of pandering was needed for a squad which had achieved so much for so long, he needed to get them on side first and foremost.

Moyes seemingly did the opposite. Coming in, tossing out the old back room staff and being overly forceful in transforming the club from the Ferguson era was never going to end well for him.