Rafael da Silva on Anderson, Moyes and United

Josep Dowling

Moyes trying to stamp his mark on the club and swinging an axe around was idiotic I think. He should have tried to be Fergie Jr instead of....David Moyes.
Don’t agree. Any manager coming in after Fergie would have failed. Pretending to be Sir Alex would have just made things worse. Any manager taking on the role would of had a huge job in making that team compete. Aging veterans, average younger players coming through with the amateur Woodward trying to get signings in. All elite manager knew it was the impossible job and that’s why no one took it on.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I had always thought SAF actively wanted Moyes as his successor.
I speak under correction, but there were things confirmed by both Pep and Klopp - that they were approached by SAF to take over but Pep had already agreed to join Bayern and Klopp wanted to stay at Dortmund. There were also rumors about Jose & Ancelotti being on the list. But yeah. Could mostly have been face saving exercises :lol:

CM

Loved Rafael man, shame he got binned the way he did under van Gaal. The McDonald's, McDonald's bit though :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I speak under correction, but there were things confirmed by both Pep and Klopp - that they were approached by SAF to take over but Pep had already agreed to join Bayern and Klopp wanted to stay at Dortmund. There were also rumors about Jose & Ancelotti being on the list. But yeah. Could mostly have been face saving exercises :lol:
Yep, Ancelotti said just last year:

I can say that I still keep a fantastic relationship with Sir Alex, and we met when he decided to stop (retire).

But I was close to Real Madrid, and so I appreciate the fact that at that time he talked to me. And that’s it, no other opportunity [to manage United].

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can't imagine even Anderson getting away with screaming for McDonald's on the team bus with Fergie, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney and Rio in there.

MattofManchester

Probably right about Moyes.

Will never forget the day he sat in front of the media and had the audacity to say we should be more like Manchester City.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I adore Anderson, no regrets that he was the last players name I got on the back of a football shirt. I take it personally when people slag off such a loveable character.

Mcdonald's Mcdonald's! :lol: and a new Anderson meme was born.
One of my favourite players back then, He's fondly remembered, some of those games with Arsenal were he was almost unplayable, Could pass a fecking ball, Short(Triangles with teammates Like Scholesy) , those long searching balls to Ronnie... Never forget that scoope like pass to Danny Welbeck in that 8 - 2 Triumph.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What happened to Rafael? Injuries?

Seems a shame he is playing for a mid table Turkish side having only just turned 31, I always remember him being decent.

Judas

Open to offers
I can't imagine even Anderson getting away with screaming for McDonald's on the team bus with Fergie, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney and Rio in there.
He was a massively popular character in that squad, hugely. Why do you think he lasted so long? Fergie was willing to give him so much time. Just watch footage of how those two acted around each other, it was so funny.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's true. The dinner with Pep was well documented at the time and seemed random then. It made sense later when we learned that Fergie had basically offered him the United job. Carlo also said that Fergie had approached him but he was close to joining Madrid.

UncleBob

Don’t agree. Any manager coming in after Fergie would have failed. Pretending to be Sir Alex would have just made things worse. Any manager taking on the role would of had a huge job in making that team compete. Aging veterans, average younger players coming through with the amateur Woodward trying to get signings in. All elite manager knew it was the impossible job and that’s why no one took it on.
How so?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was a massively popular character in that squad, hugely. Why do you think he lasted so long? Fergie was willing to give him so much time. Just watch footage of how those two acted around each other, it was so funny.
Am I remembering incorrectly the idea that SAF thought that characters like Anderson were good for the group, guys that are very likeable and always upbeat?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
You can tell Moyes was way down the list of candidates. We “approached” the likes of Klopp, Pep, Jose, Ancelotti etc, while Fergie just outright told Moyes he was the next United boss :lol:

Almost like he was so pissed off with the whole thing, he finally just said feck it, let’s pick someone who won’t say no.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
One of my favourite players back then, He's fondly remembered, some of those games with Arsenal were he was almost unplayable, Could pass a fecking ball, Short(Triangles with teammates Like Scholesy) , those long searching balls to Ronnie... Never forget that scoope like pass to Danny Welbeck in that 8 - 2 Triumph.

I remember the midfield of him and cleverly running rings with triangle passes. Then he got injured

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Moyes would've had a better chance at United if he kept some of Fergie's backroom staff. He made a big mistake getting rid of the likes of Phelan and bringing in Jimmy fecking Lumsden.

2 man midfield

Moyes would've had a better chance at United if he kept some of Fergie's backroom staff. He made a big mistake getting rid of the likes of Phelan and bringing in Jimmy fecking Lumsden.
Possibly, I think Rafael summed it up in his tweet though. He hadn’t won a thing, and he was trying to command the respect of serial winners. He was doomed from the start.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Phelan would overthrow him as manager in matter of months. Beautiful sight to watch could this be.

AaronRedDevil

Agreed. That was his first mistake that fecked up united for years because of it. He seemed to have done everything wrong after that.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Possibly, I think Rafael summed it up in his tweet though. He hadn’t won a thing, and he was trying to command the respect of serial winners. He was doomed from the start.
Yeah I don't disagree with that but it would've helped having coaches around him that had been with the squad for years and knew them.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

Will never forget the day he sat in front of the media and had the audacity to say we should be more like Manchester City.
Big Slap on the Chin, couldn't rap my head around those words, while watching the presser i was screaming my disapproval out loud.

Patrice Evra said same thing about Ando? Fondly remembered, those driving runs with the ball from deep.

2 man midfield

Yeah I don't disagree with that but it would've helped having coaches around him that had been with the squad for years and knew them.
They might even have stepped in once they saw Moyes with his VHS tapes of Phil Jagielka

2 man midfield

People slag Ole off for this now, but context is important. At that time we’d only a few months before beaten them to the league by 11 points. The only thing that changed since was Moyes, and suddenly we had to aspire to be like them. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s where he finally lost the players tbh.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I actually don’t think that would have worked either. The fans wouldn’t have accepted Ole at that point.
It needed a big name like Jose at that stage, but the club tried to do it on the cheap with Moyes.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Commanding respect is one thing, but telling winners how they should behave is another.

Can't remember if it was just rumours, but didn't he show Rio and Vidic videos of Jagielka and suggest they should play more like him?

2 man midfield

Commanding respect is one thing, but telling winners how they should behave is another.

Can't remember if it was just rumours, but didn't he show Rio and Vidic videos of Jagielka and suggest they should play more like him?
They might even have stepped in once they saw Moyes with his VHS tapes of Phil Jagielka
He did indeed. Think Rio confirmed it. Arguably the best centre back duo the league has ever seen, and you’re asking them to change what isn’t broken. The whole thing was a car crash.

Matthew84!

All Moyes had to do was just walk in there keep all the staff and perhaps add 1 or 2 players. The coaching staff was the ones on the training field so they knew what the standards were and how to keep them up.
Moyes just kept chasing the big signing that never come.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Maybe Moyes was planned to be the fall guy for a big manager to come in after and bring us back to greatness, without too much comparison to SAF

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He did indeed. Think Rio confirmed it. Arguably the best centre back duo the league has ever seen, and you’re asking them to change what isn’t broken. The whole thing was a car crash.
Yup, Moyes probably had a lot to do to convince that group he was the right guy for the job, then he goes and does that, along with firing the staff the players were used to winning with.

It was always going to go one way after that.

Bobski

Just picturing him on the team bus like an excited child, getting all giddy at the sight of the golden arches :lol: it's impossible to hate him.
Just had a giggling fit over this scenario. I will say it is a good thing Ando was part of a great winning squad, rather than a losing team, as his eccentricity was more palatable.

Loved Rafa and Andom the joy they played with was so refreshing, and Rafa is not wrong, those odd spells with a fit Anderson were quite impressive, waste of talent overall.

Josh 76

Agreed but tbf to SAF, I think Moyes was way down the preferred list.

SAF, along with Gill leaving - succession there just wasn’t planned well enough. Unfortunately. Oh well.
Not sure what to make of this. I’ve read so many contradicting stories on Moyes. All I can say is, I think Fergie has regretted the decision as time has gone by.