Rafael da Silva: Van Gaal called me and said "You can leave. The meeting lasted 1 minute"

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wow!
Seemed extremely passionate in the interview and he has our blood flowing in his veins

Respect? Van Gaal is the reason we’re still so crap. He instilled such a garbage mentality and style even Mourinho had to talk about letting go of that.

Moyes was just incompetent he had no plan just cross it and attack it but there was no lasting damage. Van Gaal destroying all of our attacking mentality. Got rid of top players and replaced them with garbage.

Van Gaal is 90 percent of the reason why we are where we are. He deserves more criticism than what he gets. He set us back so far the Mourinho needed a whole season just to undo that.
Would be a good argument if not for the fact LVG took over a team in 7th, and who were an utter laughing stock by the time Moyes left - No lasting damage!!!!

Of course Jose has made digs at his predecessor, doesn’t everyone, much easier to manage expectations that way, don’t use that as a reason to argue LVG was worse than Moyes. Do you believe the reason we are not a swashbuckling attacking team is down to LVG - it’s 100% Jose.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Utter rubbish. Moyes was 100 tines worse than Van Gaal. Under Moyes we went from 1st to 7th and played dire football with no marquee players wanting to join us and getting trashed by all the big teams.

Under LVG he brought back our credibility, star names wanted to join us again, we did have a possession based football plan (you may not have liked it but we had a plan) and we got back to beating the big teams again (Liverpool win was the most I have ever seen us dominate at Anfield- and that includes under Fergie) oh and he won us an FA Cup.

But yeh sure Moyes was better..:/ Van Gaal doesn’t get enough respect on here to be honest.
He spent a feck-ton of money while finishing 5th in his final season in spite of the fact we had one of the highest paid squads in Europe, all the while making a past-it Rooney the focal point of a team that was barely outscoring some relegation contenders. The 'star' names who did join us in Di Maria and Falcao were flops. Our possession based plan basically involved holding onto the ball without actually doing anything useful with it, and we managed to get swiftly knocked out of the CL in the group stages, before then getting knocked out of the EL by Liverpool in the last 16. 2014-15 was alright and a move towards improvement but 2015-16 wasn't much better than Moyes' tenure. How anyone thinks he can be judged as anything other than a disaster is laughable.

Boycott

What's the context of Van Gaal asking him why he doesn't respect him?

FILF

He spent a feck-ton of money while finishing 5th in his final season in spite of the fact we had one of the highest paid squads in Europe, all the while making a past-it Rooney the focal point of a team that was barely outscoring some relegation contenders. The 'star' names who did join us in Di Maria and Falcao were flops. Our possession based plan basically involved holding onto the ball without actually doing anything useful with it, and we managed to get swiftly knocked out of the CL in the group stages, before then getting knocked out of the EL by Liverpool in the last 16. 2014-15 was alright and a move towards improvement but 2015-16 wasn't much better than Moyes' tenure. How anyone thinks he can be judged as anything other than a disaster is laughable.
This is Woodward & not LVG - LVG complained about United trying to be merchandise club. LVG made horrible transfers - but consider season 1 vs season 2; think its pretty obvious that Woodward has a big say in some of the transfers that went through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I met some Dutch tourists in Prague a few months after LvG took over. They told me that LvG would soon became a hated figure and that nobody in Holland respects him despite their performance at the World Cup that year. I guess those crazy dutch bastards were right.

Rafaeldagold

I’m not saying he was perfect but he was much much better than Moyes.

Got us back in the champions league. (Only missed out on GD in final season )

Won us an FA Cup.

We actually beat the big teams again in a dominant fashion which even under Fergie we didn’t do.

We had a possession based football plan implemented which was a vast improvement on Moyes who didn’t seem to have a plan.

LVG’s reign was nowhere near a disaster, context is important and you have to remember the carnage he inherited from Moyes.
To say LVG’s reign is a disaster is incredibly laughable.

Loublaze

ATLien
Looks like he's crying over something he doesn't even go into full detail explaining. Whaaa whaa whaa. LVG was right to sell him.

Art Vandelay

I met some Dutch tourists in Prague a few months after LvG took over. They told me that LvG would soon became a hated figure and that nobody in Holland respects him despite their performance at the World Cup that year. I guess those crazy dutch bastards were right.
I got told the same thing by a Dutchman before and during the World Cup that year. I didn't believe him and thought we were going to get a tough coach that would get the best out of RVP and not put up with Rooney's declining performances. That crazy dutch bastard was right and I was very, very wrong.

SillyUsername

This relic had me ready to give up on my season tickets. I was so angry coming home on Sunday but at least I felt something. During that horrid second season of LVG's I became completely detached from the club and I would give tickets away to anyone who would take them which was not easy after Christmas.

The thought of his mandatory full back substitution every game still gets on my nerves.

redIndianDevil

I think the Dutch like the Cryuff total football, that's why they probably hated the park the bus football Holland played in that world cup

Kostov

What a despicable prick LVG is, Rafa was one of my favorite players. Not that surprised reading that to be honest.

Ashley R1+O

Horrendous man manager, but we knew this. Completely gutted the squad and went into his final season with 13 senior players after getting rid of Nani, Evans and finally Rafa and Chicha and leaving the squad places blank. Criminal stuff. Damaging.

Parry Gallister

Can't believe no-one posted the best part of the interview.

Cristiano Ronaldo called us and asked us to join United. He knew that Arsenal wanted us too, but we had given our word to United, and my parents said that was important. Nani was also there and the Brazilian Anderson, of course. Those three helped me, my brother and another Brazilian Rodrigo Possebon a lot because we couldn't speak any English."

"That didn't stop him [Anderson] offering to be my English teacher!. I'm serious. He would listen to someone then translate what he thought they had said. It was hilarious. He would get angry in games and try to speak, but he couldn't speak English. He'd get so frustrated."

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Loved Rafael - shocking we got rid of him, although he clearly loved the treatment room far too much.
Still spinning that old myth? A couple of periods out were due to injuries inflicted on him, not him breaking down. Not much you can do about that. Shaw and Jones have been worse and are still here. And he was better than both of them.

Still, glad that we got rid of that clown LvG. Such an ass-hole.

Witchking

Darren Fletcher came up to me -- I love Fletcher, he was so helpful to me -- and he said: 'Not bad for a first game, eh?' He always tried to help me. For example, I was still learning English and, in one game, I didn't play well. Fergie was telling me off, and I was replying to him by smiling with my thumbs up because Brazilians do that. I thought I was showing respect. Fletcher said to me: 'You don't do that.'"

:lol::lol:

Great read

Bwuk

Loved Rafael, someone with the mentality of a United player.

I agree about LvG being worse than Moyes. I reckon if a competent manager had come in after Moyes we still had enough winners in our squad with a bit of investment that we could of won the league that year.

LvG completely gutted everything and changed the mentality around the place. He shouldn’t of got a second year.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rafael's interviews are always great, always great little stories.

For some reason we have fans who were happy to replace him with Darmian, and are still glad we sold him. You really need to be clueless about football to be happy about selling player who you haven't found replacement even three years after.

Ban

Nor was the visit to Sunderland a year later when, with United having won 1-0, news came through that City had scored twice in stoppage time to win the league.

"It was horrible. Sunderland fans laughed at us," he said. "After the game, Fergie said: 'You're never going to forget this day.' In every single game I played the following season, I remembered what Fergie had told us in Sunderland."

RedDevil@84

"It was horrible. Sunderland fans laughed at us," he said. "After the game, Fergie said: 'You're never going to forget this day.' In every single game I played the following season, I remembered what Fergie had told us in Sunderland."
And now Sunderland can do the poznan in League 1

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
How is he doing at Lyon?
Not that brilliant to be fair, not completely hopeless either though. Really weird considering the amount of technical ability he showed for us at a young age, if we could find a player with that skillset and drive it would probably take our current team to a next level in certain matches.

Ban

Not that brilliant to be fair, not completely hopeless either though. Really weird considering the amount of technical ability he showed for us at a young age, if we could find a player with that skillset and drive it would probably take our current team to a next level.
I'm so sorry he didn't make it with us. He was immense I thought. Had a lot of injuries but still god.

Silas

Darren Fletcher came up to me -- I love Fletcher, he was so helpful to me -- and he said: 'Not bad for a first game, eh?' He always tried to help me. For example, I was still learning English and, in one game, I didn't play well. Fergie was telling me off, and I was replying to him by smiling with my thumbs up because Brazilians do that. I thought I was showing respect. Fletcher said to me: 'You don't do that.'"

:lol::lol:

Great read
:lol:

el3mel

LVG got a team that finished 7th and left it at 5th. He took it while ending the league with 64 points and left it while ending with 66 points. He took a terrible squad and incredibly left a similar terrible squad even though he spent some good money on it. Great achievements.

I'll never understand those LVG defenders and fanboys tbh.

beedoubleyou

LVG was a somewhat hilarious character who just about steadied the ship, but, he muddied the waters at great deal too. Very few managers burn bright for more than a decade. He was not one of them.