Rafael da Silva: Van Gaal called me and said "You can leave. The meeting lasted 1 minute"

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Seems to me like people miss Rafael more due to him loving the club, rather than being a great player.

SteveW

He was a good player. The idea that was sold him for Darmian sickens me to this day.

the_irish123

Seems to me like people miss Rafael more due to him loving the club, rather than being a great player.
Because our RBs have been setting the world on fire and we have won multiple titles since he left. Also, LVG demonstrated via winning he should have been given the car keys to make those sort of decisions and deciding our future...

Revan

Assumptionman
He was awesome. Evra level, but only for a few years. Madness he was shifted so quickly.
He never was Evra level to be fair. Loved him and together with Hernandez he was my favorite player in that post Ronaldo era, but Evra at his best was on a different level. Rafael was very good in 12-13, probably our third best player after RVP and Carrick, and he was quite good at 10-11 until his injury and consequently losing his place to Fabio. Other than that he was very hit and miss, and not very reliable, exciting as he was.

Because our RBs have been setting the world on fire and we have won multiple titles since he left. Also, LVG demonstrated via winning he should have been given the car keys to make those sort of decisions and deciding our future...
Titles are the league, not cups as far as I’m concerned. I personally think league titles and where we finish in the league is how we should be judged, not on cup competitions.

I do think LVG got Rafael wrong, and whilst his signings have not really worked out - he did at least shift out a load of crap players. He did so with absoubtly no sentiment, and was much needed on the whole.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Van Gaal knew. He wasnt good enough to start and injury prone, but people wanted him here cause he gave it all. Never understood the love he gets on here. Didnt think once about him since he left, similar to Evans. We need to get more deadwood out, especially in defense.
Feck me! And people rave about the likes of Smalling??? Wow!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I really don't get it, he is barely good enough for Lyon and people want him back.

Revan

Assumptionman
Titles are the league, not cups as far as I’m concerned. I personally think league titles and where we finish in the league is how we should be judged, not on cup competitions.

I do think LVG got Rafael wrong, and whilst his signings have not really worked out - he did at least shift out a load of crap players. He did so with absoubtly no sentiment, and was much needed on the whole.
He did shift Nani, Hernandez, Welbeck, Rafael, Evans, RVP. Were they actually worse than Rojo, Blind, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Depay, Falcao, Di Maria and Martial? Martial and Blind are the only two who have made significant contributions since we signed them.

For most part, LVG signings have been sideway moves when we sold a player for cheap and signed a player around as good but much more expensive. We spent circa 30m on Rojo and Darmian, got less than 10m for Evans and Rafael, and by doing so slightly weakened the team.

LVG knew feck all.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I really don't get it, he is barely good enough for Lyon and people want him back.
Old sentiments die hard on this forum, we regularly see posts and threads on the likes of Rafael, Nani and Chicharito followed up with “Bring him back” or “we could do with him now”, etc. Understandable given their presence in our last successful spell, but when you look at how their careers have gone since leaving...

Revan

Assumptionman
Old sentiments die hard on this forum, we regularly see posts and threads on the likes of Rafael, Nani and Chicharito followed up with “Bring him back” or “we could do with him now”, etc. Understandable given their presence in our last successful spell, but when you look at how their careers have gone since leaving...
Nah man, it is more we replaced them for a shitload of money with players of equal quality during LVG. Money that should have been spent on improving the team was spent on replacing okayish players with okayish players.

2cents

Scout
Nah man, it is more we replaced them for a shitload of money with players of equal quality during LVG. Money that should have been spent on improving the team was spent on replacing okayish players with okayish players.
No arguments there. But if any of the three I mentioned were still with us now, they’d barely get a game.

JPRouve

Scout
Are you calling me heartless?:angel:

I have fond memories about all these players but Rafael spent his entire career as a promise, he never really achieved it and when he left he never convinced his club that he was good enough, Lyon have been on the market for a RB every windows since he joined them. I will always like the young and promising Rafael but he isn't that player anymore.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He contributed more to the 2012-13 season than Gary Neville ever contributed to any season. If you were to look at their contributions objectively Rafael is easy ahead, and Fergie mentioned the twins while talking about talented players he managed in around 2011, along with a lot of others while Neville didn't merit a mention. An inherent British/Irish bias
Christ.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
They all had good seasons but in the end weren’t good enough people forget that

Revan

Assumptionman
No arguments there. But if any of the three I mentioned were still with us now, they’d barely get a game.
Rafael ain't worse than Valencia or Darmian, heck, he has shown much more than Darmian. Nani up to 2 years ago was probably better than whatever we have (nothing) as a RW.

Selling Rafael for 2m and signing Darmian for 12m was spending 10m on at best, a sideway move.

JPRouve

Scout
Rafael ain't worse than Valencia or Darmian, heck, he has shown much more than Darmian. Nani up to 2 years ago was probably better than whatever we have (nothing) as a RW.

Selling Rafael for 2m and signing Darmian for 12m was spending 10m on at best, a sideway move.
He is absolutely worse than them, Jallet was better than he was.

2cents

Scout

Rafael’s definitely better than Darmian, although I’d have John Curtis or Richard Eckersley back at RB over Darmian, as pointless a player I’ve ever seen at United. Valencia, I can kind of see see how some might judge it in Raf’s favor, but I personally wouldn’t, there’s quite a big gap in quality and consistency IMO, and I think Mourinho would agree. And Nani wouldn’t last two minutes in a Mourinho squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is absolutely worse than them, Jallet was better than he was.
A lot of players drop on quality when they join a much smaller team, same as a lot of players never make it in a bigger team. I doubt that we would have been worse with Rafael than with Darmian.

It is a pointless debate though, neither of them makes much difference (though Rafael in Fergie's last season was spectacular).

Hitchez

Rafael was miles better than Darmian and a whole lot better than Valencia going forward. It was LVG though so no surprise Rafa was sold. I've never seen a more pointless player than Darmian.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I liked Rafael, but he's not that good is he? Seems a bit nostalgic, this.

Rafaeldagold

I'm actually speechless.
Care to elaborate? We had a possession based identity which although didn’t lead to end to end games it did mean we played Liverpool & City off the pitch when it worked well. If you can’t see that then you’re just going with the blinkered narrative that LVG was terrible. He gave us our pride back after being a punching bag for most teams under Moyes

JPRouve

Scout
We are talking about what they've done at United.
Not really, people are saying that they would take him right now and that we shouldn't have let him go. It's not a comparison of Rafael at his best.

Tarrou

I was sat close to the Da Silvas in the UCL final in Moscow. They were in the United end, bless them.