Rafael

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
For those who are defending Rafael for his outburst, look at Fletcher's reaction to the red card he recieved in the Champions League against Arsenal, which disqualified him from the final. He had even more of a right to blast that useless referee, but he just walked off. It was very classy of him to keep his calm in such a situation.

Now, I love Rafa, and I'm proud of his ascent this season. The darker side of me enjoyed his rant against Tevez and the ref, he's the perfect successor to Keane and Neville in being a fecking psycho. Yet he has to learn to restrain himself in critical scenarios, such as addressing the referee. Irregardless of how spastic the referee was, it would be better for him and us if he took a few deep breaths before talking. Now managers in the league and Europe will mark him as a potential target to wind up.

Inexperience showed on Sunday. I'm sure the imperfections will be ironed out with time.
You Sir knows a bit about this game. Excellent post!

Shimo

Any news on whether he has accepted the charge? Read up but, didn't see it and may be blind.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
For those who are defending Rafael for his outburst, look at Fletcher's reaction to the red card he recieved in the Champions League against Arsenal, which disqualified him from the final. He had even more of a right to blast that useless referee, but he just walked off. It was very classy of him to keep his calm in such a situation.

Now, I love Rafa, and I'm proud of his ascent this season. The darker side of me enjoyed his rant against Tevez and the ref, he's the perfect successor to Keane and Neville in being a fecking psycho. Yet he has to learn to restrain himself in critical scenarios, such as addressing the referee. Irregardless of how spastic the referee was, it would be better for him and us if he took a few deep breaths before talking. Now managers in the league and Europe will mark him as a potential target to wind up.

Inexperience showed on Sunday. I'm sure the imperfections will be ironed out with time.
I agree with almost every word of this, except "irregardless" because it isn't a word.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is correct.

I think he is in decline. He will be 30 in a few months. Rafael is improving at a frightening rate; he is more important to us than Evra now.
I don't know about decline, but I just think he needs a rest of some sorts, or something just to go his way i.e. a rare goal or something. At the moment he's doing enough to still be a vital player without hitting those heights we know he is more than capable of reaching.

Dion

Wrong. Look in a real dictionary.
It's got it's own wikipedia article, it's non-standard which means it wouldn't be accepted on countdown but you'd have to be really anal to make a big deal of it on an internet forum.

I'm always right

I don't know about decline, but I just think he needs a rest of some sorts, or something just to go his way i.e. a rare goal or something. At the moment he's doing enough to still be a vital player without hitting those heights we know he is more than capable of reaching.
Didn't he score a few weeks back?

Evra is still doing a great job, he's not at top form but it's still more than good enough.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Didn't he score a few weeks back?

Evra is still doing a great job, he's not at top form but it's still more than good enough.
I concur, he's still doing a great job, I'm just saying by his own standards.. he still has quite a few gears to go. I only commented on this whole issue because his levels of performances were being compared to Rafaels and I think the Brazillian has put in the better 'motm- worthy' performances but obviously Evra at his best is still something else entirely and a world class player in his own right.

I'm always right

I concur, he's still doing a great job, I'm just saying by his own standards.. he still has quite a few gears to go. I only commented on this whole issue because his levels of performances were being compared to Rafaels and I think the Brazillian has put in the better 'motm- worthy' performances but obviously Evra at his best is still something else entirely and a world class player in his own right.
Agree with all of that Raees.

Dion

Well Evra wouldn't be the only one who has been a bit short on form, trying to think of players who HAVE been playing consistently well is tough, the centerbacks and Nani? The whole team isn't firing which cant help an attacking fullback like Evra.

Excal

Would I be right in thinking that this could end up as a 3-match suspension?

1. For the red card (2 yellows).
2. For Riley's report.
3. For this personal hearing. (aka Frivolous appeal)
Nono, you've got it wrong.

1. Because Mike Dean's an idiot
2. Because the FA likes punishing United to show it doesn't bend over for the big teams.
3. See #2

pauldyson1uk

Have to agree with all of this.
No matter how wrong the refs decision is you have to accept it.
Going off on a mad rant is not good.
But loved it at the time.

Untied

It's got it's own wikipedia article, it's non-standard which means it wouldn't be accepted on countdown but you'd have to be really anal to make a big deal of it on an internet forum.
I'll just wade in and say I don't like it because it is a double negative. Dumb.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
"Irregardless" is a word almost exclusively used by idiots. I only corrected the chap because it would be a shame if he went through life with people assuming he was an idiot, especially when the content of his post suggests otherwise.

Ferguson

Wrong. Look in a real dictionary.
From the Oxford English Dictionary: "Irregardless"

Chiefly N. Amer.

In non-standard or humorous use: regardless.

1912 in WENTWORTH Amer. Dial. Dict. 1923 Lit. Digest 17 Feb. 76 Is there such a word as irregardless in the English language? 1934 in WEBSTER (labelled Erron. or Humorous, U.S.). 1938 I. KUHN Assigned to Adventure xxx. 310, I made a grand entrance and suffered immediate and complete obliteration, except on the pay-roll, which functioned automatically to present me with a three-figure cheque every week, ‘irregardless’, as Hollywood says. 1939 C. MORLEY Kitty Foyle xxvii. 267 But she can take things in her stride, irregardless what's happened. 1955 Publ. Amer. Dial. Soc. XXIV. 19, I don't think like other people do and irregardless of how much or how little dope would cost me [etc.]. 1970 Current Trends in Linguistics X. 590 She tells the pastor that he should please quit using the word ‘irregardless’ in his sermons as there is no such word. 1971 M. MCSHANE Man who left Well Enough iv. 96 The sun poured down on Purity irregardless of the fact that it received no welcome.

So, judging from the OED, irregardless is a word which isn't a word, which is just another kind of nonsense. I guess I would say that it is a word, but only if you are using it for the sake of humor or ironically. Otherwise you should be using "regardless". To use it irregardless of its being an erroneous word is only to invite criticism.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
adexkola ...

That's darren fletcher though and that doesn't elevate him over anyone else. Thats his personality. What about keane when he got sent off against Arsenal in the tie against Arsenal where Giggs scored a wondergoal or what about keane again when he knew he was going to miss the champions league final in 99?

Yet on previous he let the passion of the moment get to him, which is the same with rafael. These are a different 'breed' of player/person and people express emotions in different ways. I believe his reaction, the card waving was because the spurs players went round the ref and asked for him to get booked. I don't think he's got previous. I don't think it's inexperience because it's just his nature to get stuck in, to fight for things but off the pitch he's a model professional like Darren and while we're here slagging off dean, Rafaels accepted it and apoligised which is very classy when you consider it was the wrong decision.

The problem you find is players make similar tackles and yet some get away with it and others don't. If dean shows common sense, no ones talking about rafael. People would say bale looked dangerous but so did Rafael...was a great game. Sometimes you are unlucky. I think it's a great thing that we see him pumped up for the game, we can't question his motivation or the fact he cares and that's a positive thing

Dion

"Irregardless" is a word almost exclusively used by idiots. I only corrected the chap because it would be a shame if he went through life with people assuming he was an idiot, especially when the content of his post suggests otherwise.
Only by pedantic dicks hiding behind a computer screen like yourself, which I'm fairly sure he'll care not a jot about.

And this is the same Darren Fletcher that was standing next to Rooney getting up in the refs grill about sending Rafael off?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You're not defending the use of the word Irregardless are you?

@Striker: I agree with that post, different characters react in different ways...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He wasn't that great the season before either tbf
He was until around March. It was only after that that his performances started dropping away.

I find it interesting that Evra, Fletcher and Rooney were arguably our best three players last season up until around March (only Vidic could argue), and all three started dropping in form around the same time and are still struggling to get back to their best.

That we're still top of the league and have had other players step up to pick up the slack shows just how much depth we do have.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
It's a FachT (as Rafa would say) that Rafael is the better of the two.
At the moment yes, he's had a lot more first team football and therefore experience, as well as having fewer injuries.

However who knows what's going to happen in the future, and its not particularly constructive just saying oh look at this point in time A is better than B.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Any news on when we will hear if the ban is extended? It is imperative to my fantasy football team that i find out before 11:30 tomorrow!

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He had his FA hearing today via video link from Carrington, so I'm sure we'll hear soon enough.

Brophs

The One and Only
He had his FA hearing today via video link from Carrington, so I'm sure we'll hear soon enough.
I bet there were hilarious hijinks where the connection kept dropping in and out...

So, firstly I want to say I'm so sorry for telling the ref to feck off. It was totally out of character for me to say that and I definitely don't think he and his assistants are clueless mongols, as I may have shouted at the time. Also when I said he was a cheater I was just upset. I did not mean what I said. Again, very sorry for the whole 'feck off', 'clueless mongols'. Okay?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Apparently just a fine and a warning, no extra ban. On twitter.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Shades of the Nevilles here. The supposedly more talented one finding it harder to make the breakthrough, and Fabio like Phil is also more versatile, which in theory should make it easier to find games, but in reality doesn;t really work out that way.