Rafael

OneUnited24

Rafael banned v Birmingham tomorrow but Fergie jokes: "I might play Rafael instead of Fabio. No-one would know the difference."
Great for Rafael but crushing for Fabio, even when he gets a chance for a look in his brother still plays

twitter thread suggester
He wasn't that great the season before either tbf, so I don't think the World Cups entirely to blame. I just think he needs a prolonged rest but we don't have a good enough backup left back, when Evra is not in the team, the whole team looks out of sync going forwards.
Patrice Evra - Season 09/10 - MotM stats from RedCafe.net
He was the best player on the pitch 5 times, 2nd best 6 times, and 3rd best 5 times.

Only bettered by Rooney and Fletch.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
In the first half of that season, Evra was absolutely mental. He showed signs of being human in the latter half of it, mind.

Lance Uppercut

Manchester United are ready to welcome Rafael back into the fold at Blackpool on Tuesday night with Ryan Giggs hailing the youngster's new-found maturity.

Although the Brazilian full-back was forced to apologise for his behaviour after being sent off at Tottenham last week, an £8,000 fine suggested the Football Association did not view his exchange with referee Mike Dean to be the most heinous of crimes.

The punishment cleared Rafael to face Blackpool at Bloomfield Road tomorrow and prove once again the class Giggs sees on a regular basis.

"Rafael has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few months," said the veteran Welshman.

"I have seen a massive improvement, not only in the way he plays but within him as a person.

"I come up against him in a lot of training sessions because we play in opposite positions and I have seen the maturity develop over the last three or four months.

"If he keeps developing he is going to be a brilliant player."

Rafael has always enjoyed the attacking side, but tended to be less disciplined when it came to defending in his early showings.

Although Gary Neville's days at the top level are coming to an end, he offers the ideal template for Rafael to follow.

And whilst, at 20 years old, Giggs acknowledges mistakes will still be made, he feels Rafael's pure love of the game helps make up for the minor deficiencies.

"You can't teach that, the enthusiasm Rafael brings to the game when he makes those forward runs and dribbles past people," said Giggs.

"Players rely on that appetite.

"He was really unlucky to get sent off at Tottenham but when you are young you do make little mistakes. All you hope is that the individuals concerned learn from them and get better."

United's first top-flight trip to Bloomfield Road in 40 years has taken on even greater significance given the state of the Premier League table.

Two points ahead of Arsenal and three in front of Manchester City, a third away win of the season would ease United into a clear lead at the top and turn the screw on all their title rivals.

In addition to making a choice between Rafael and John O'Shea at right-back, Ferguson will also need to take a fitness check on Rio Ferdinand's groin injury and the knock to an already sore ankle that Michael Carrick suffered in Saturday's five-goal hammering of Birmingham before finalising his line-up.

Sir Alex Ferguson has already stated Giggs will start, and then be rested for Saturday's FA Cup tie at Southampton, and he is likely to be joined by fellow veteran Paul Scholes.

And they will face a Blackpool side that is starting to look vulnerable after losing four of their last five games, and with star man Charlie Adam seemingly intent on quitting to complete a dream move to Liverpool.

Yet Giggs is not prepared to take anything for granted.

"It is a great achievement for Blackpool to be in the Premier League and see them playing such good football," he said.

"They have been a breath of fresh air this season because they have gone out and attacked teams.

"They have the mindset that they will try and score goals, even if it means conceding a few.

"There has been so many exciting games involving Blackpool, which is a credit to them."

There have been many great press conferences involving Ian Holloway too, a character Giggs has warmed to and whose infectious enthusiasm he believes filters down to his players.

"The manner Ian Holloway behaves transcends to the players," he said.

"You can see that they are playing with freedom. They respect the teams they are playing against but they think they can beat them. "That is a great thing to have. I am sure it will be the same when they are facing us."
Football365

MacMUFC

Anderson on Rafael

...Rafael is a big player. Not just him, but his brother Fabio, too. It’s not easy to leave Brazil as a young player, but they’ve done really well since arriving in England. In two years, Rafael will be the best right-back in the world. Mark my words.
Just thought i'd throw that out here.

Minkaro

Gets his finger messed up, and turns round to have a go at the Wolves player.

'Ard as nails. :keano:

wr8_utd

:'(
Yeah today was the only time he's looked a bit off in ages. But that's understandable as he's coming back from a concussion.

::sonny::

He wouldn't be a regular starter even for a mid-low table team, I don't understand why he has to be with United

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
He wouldn't be a regular starter even for a mid-low table team, I don't understand why he has to be with United
I dunno lads, this one of those things that is so obvious it might not be a WUM

Cina

sonny is really thick though, I mean, really thick. Just look through his post history to find out. I think he actually bases everything on his FM experiences.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nev: Rafael can take my place

Gary Neville is backing Rafael to be his long-term successor in United's defence.

Neville announced his retirement last week after an illustrious career spanning two decades. After breaking into the team in the mid '90s, the former England international became his generation's best right-back. But Neville feels United have already found the man to fill his boots.

"He’s more than capable of going on to become United’s right-back for many, many years," Neville told ManUtd.com. "His performances in the last six months in particular have been brilliant. He’s matured and really come of age. I remember when I was young defender you need that time to mature and get experience.

"Rafael’s always had ability - he gets to the ball quickly, he’s aggressive, he defends his position well, he’s tough, courageous, good on the ball and provides energy in attack, but he’s really developed in the last six months with games and experience. He has a great attitude too."

Such has been Rafael's progress this season, Neville feels the Reds have a stable back four. "We haven’t had a consistent right-back in the last couple of years," he adds. "I’ve been around and Wes and Sheasy have played some games as well as Rafael, but in the last four or five months we’ve had a consistent performer in that position. Now you can say we’ve got a first-choice back four for the first time in a few years with Rafael, Rio, Vida and Patrice, who are all quality players. That’s important to a team."
From the official website, the passing on of the number 2 shirt.