Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

I wouldn't say the price is anything to write home about. He'd be going for free next summer. Hardly incredible value in that context but ultimately it's probably worth it to get him a year early and have no competition to sign him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Richarlison had a year on his deal and Spurs still paid 60M for him. Sterling's a much better player and he's going to a rival, so I'd have thought they'd demand a bigger fee.

Fair play to City too, if it was us, we would've offered him 350k p/w in wages and lost him on a free next year.

How will they line up? Straight swap in for Werner?

--------------- Havertz -------------
--- Sterling ------------ Mount --
I actually think we could switch formations depending on the rest of our business. We are apparently after another wide attacker in addition to Sterling. So if that happens I can see Tuchel going with a 4-3-3. Sterling left, Havertz up top, and the other new winger on the right. Ideally that would’ve been Raphinha, but…

C'est Moi Cantona

City must be loving it, £90 million from players they don't really need anymore.

Let's all forget how they were paid for in the first place, and marvel at how well they do to keep within FFP rules.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Look at the bit about the deal making him “one of the best paid players”. Deal may not be as cheap as it seems at first instance
He was already one of the best paid players in the league. On his City salary he’d immediately be our highest paid player - it actually sounds like we’ve given him an extra 20k a week so he’s on around what Lukaku was making last season.

GMoore23

We should have tested the water at least with this. He's a United fan and a huge upgrade over any of our wide players.

Rolaholic

I wouldn't say the price is anything to write home about. He'd be going for free next summer. Hardly incredible value in that context but ultimately it's probably worth it to get him a year early and have no competition to sign him.
That's never stopped players going for silly money before, Richarlison ended up going for potentially 70m with a year left and Chelsea themselves pocketed a cool 160m total for an Eden Hazard with a year left on his deal...

Rolaholic

City must be loving it, £90 million from players they don't really need anymore.

Let's all forget how they were paid for in the first place, and marvel at how well they do to keep within FFP rules.
They got 30m pounds from Soton this window for 2 prospects with a single PL appearance between them, they're far ahead of the rest when it comes to pulling big money from sales out of thin air.

Wayne's World

Good player Sterling, completely underrated at City

Think he'll score just amount of goals for City and now will for Chelsea

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Good player Sterling, completely underrated at City

Think he'll score just amount of goals for City and now will for Chelsea
He'll win less trophies though. Not a great move for him imo.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Really surprised with that fee, either City didn't rate him at all, or there's some fishy exchange behind the scenes. I really doubt Pep would let him go for that money.

MrEleson

The fee is reasonable.
Really don’t see what makes him a €100M+ player as some are saying on here based on what I’ve seen of him in the last couple of seasons.

Maybe the 18/19 Sterling is worth that but not the current iteration.

Lee565

So even a club like Chelsea that didn't even know who their next owners were going to be until late May had a load of their backroom staff moved on by the new owner who decided to take on negotiations are being more decisive with pulling off big transfers than our club.

We really did pull the short straw with our owners.

DevilRed

Decent signing for them actually. He will produce.

But raheem hasn't got much choice does he? He would never come to us. So really the only two options left are chelski and arsenal.

copen1945

The Fab one has spoken. 45 plus 10 for Chelsea. It is surprising that this is their first signing of the summer. I had the impression that a whole new army had been brought in. Do they really have the money? Or Are the new owners channeling Woodward in their thinking of self-importance?

El Presidente

The Fab one has spoken. 45 plus 10 for Chelsea. It is surprising that this is their first signing of the summer. I had the impression that a whole new army had been brought in. Do they really have the money? Or Are the new owners channeling Woodward in their thinking of self-importance?
They have the money. I'd expect them to be the biggest spenders this summer.

Red00012

£47.5m fee agreed .

Decent fee considering he’s in the final year of his contract

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Decent signing for them actually. He will produce.

But raheem hasn't got much choice does he? He would never come to us. So really the only two options left are chelski and arsenal.
Wasn’t he a United fan as a kid?

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Really happy with this transfer, great fee and even if his output is lower than it is at City he’ll still get more than anyone else we have.

He’s averaged a goal or assist every 1.38 games in his career to date and that’s even without penalties.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really surprised with that fee, either City didn't rate him at all, or there's some fishy exchange behind the scenes. I really doubt Pep would let him go for that money.
12 months left on his contract — fee is about right when you consider his salary demands too.
——
I think this is a really good signing too. I’m a big fan of Sterling and think he’d have plugged a lot of gaps for us in terms of his profile. Shame we’re not in the Italian league where rival clubs are selling and doing loan to buys to each other.

Hammondo

There is not much demand for him and City wanted rid.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
12 months left on his contract — fee is about right when you consider his salary demands too.
——
I think this is a really good signing too. I’m a big fan of Sterling and think he’d have plugged a lot of gaps for us in terms of his profile. Shame we’re not in the Italian league where rival clubs are selling and doing loan to buys to each other.
I didn't realise he was in his final year tbf.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
CIty may or may not need him. but this seems a very good bit of business. Very good player with an excellent attitude. Heard no whingeing on moaning from him when left on bench, and gives his all when he plays. Shame can't say the same for rather a large number of United players recently

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
CIty may or may not need him. but this seems a very good bit of business. Very good player with an excellent attitude. Heard no whingeing on moaning from him when left on bench, and gives his all when he plays. Shame can't say the same for rather a large number of United players recently
Also, waited for end of the season and wanted a transfer to a lesser team(at the moment) but at least where he would be a starter, and not rot on the bench and collect his weekly wages without any regret.

copen1945

Tuchel still needs a striker. If we can clean up our own problems, we should catch them in a year.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Good move for him, not sure he will be able to be the actual main man at Chelsea but he's too good to spend half his season on City's bench.

Skills

Snitch
He's such an almost player. He does everything right, but then can't finish.

He should be scoring from that chance int he 1st half.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Started well enough for Chelsea, 4 goals 1 assist in 8 games. It’s what you get with Sterling. He’ll always miss easy chances but seems like he gets enough goals too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm sure there is a stat out there that shows he's not that bad of a finisher, but why trust stats over the biased yet incomparable eye test?
He’s finishing rate is actually pretty good. I remember reading about his scoring stats compared to other prominent forwards a few months ago. It changed my perception of him. Maybe it is his reputation that makes people remember his misses more than other players.

Last edited:

Posh Red

He’s finishing rate is actually pretty good. I remember reading about his scoring stats compared to other prominent forwards a few months. It changed my perception of him. Maybe it is him reputation that makes people remember his misses more than other players.
He has an amazing knack of getting into really dangerous positions, and does seem to mess up some easy chances at times. He also scores some half chances though.

Bondi77

Quick as feck from a standing start and good top end speed and good but not great finisher.
I imagine he would be a nightmare for a defender.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Hilarious that people criticising him here. He gets a good number of goals for a guy who is not a No.9 and contributes way more than, for instance, Rashford or Martial

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'm sure there is a stat out there that shows he's not that bad of a finisher, but why trust stats over the biased yet incomparable eye test?
Or we could use our eyes and brains. He’s got exceptional movement (a much underrated skill in football) which allows him to get into great situations regularly. Some of those positions are harder to miss from but it’s clear watching Sterling over his career he’s an incredibly inconsistent finisher. He’s still a good player but his finishing lets him down against the very best

Status
Not open for further replies.