Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

poleglass red

His goal return is excellent, even last 2 seasons when he's maybe dropped of a bit for City, still hitting double figures for the Pl. Typical wide player, rewarding and frustrating in equal measure. He's a very good player, maybe the City and Liverpool connections make us undervalue him. Even his England record is decent, 1 in 4.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
I think we'd be making a massive mistake letting both Gabby and Sterling go. I'd rather we keep Sterling who, for all his flaws, is a major asset for the team because of his pace and directness. His positional play and ability to get in behind the backline is easily the best we have at the club, and for that reason he is a very good option to have. Gabby - I love the boy but I'd rather we sell him and can use that money for another incoming transfer this summer, especially with the arrivals of Haaland and Alvarez to bulk up our attacking options.

This is unless both are desperate to leave, of course. In which case we should stick to our policy of "if you want to leave, you can go for the right price" and sell both. That "right price" for Sterling should be higher than what's being reported though and we shouldn't be letting him go so easily.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
This is unless both are desperate to leave, of course. In which case we should stick to our policy of "if you want to leave, you can go for the right price" and sell both. That "right price" for Sterling should be higher than what's being reported though and we shouldn't be letting him go so easily.
Fair enough. The issue is not that many top club that can afford the transfer fee and his wages has opening in wide forward. I don't even know where he can go to be honest. Dembele is also in the market this summer for "free".

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can think of 5 takes more controversial and that's just from my end!

I don't think Havertz has displayed much in his career to warrant such faith from Chelsea fans. Apart from age and 'yung n learnin'.
I believe in his potential. He's shown glimpses and moments here and there. Your response made it seem like it was blasphemy to not want Sterling to replace Havertz :D

Last edited:

tidraKS

I'd get him totally. He's fast, a goalscorer, a winner. He can also play through the middle, we've seen him play as a 9/false 9 many times, so he could cover Ronaldo.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I’m assuming City simply wouldn’t sell him to us?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Okay, I'll rephrase I'd pick him over 80% of our attackers. I'd pick Mount and Havertz over him every time.
He's definitely better than either.

Chelsea fans talk about Mount's goal contributions as evidence of him being underrated but Sterling's worst seasons are still better than that.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Sterling is miles ahead of both of those. Havertz could have a better career from here, but that's far from guaranteed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's definitely better than either.

Chelsea fans talk about Mount's goal contributions as evidence of him being underrated but Sterling's worst seasons are still better than that.
I certainly wouldn't have him over Havertz and Mount.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean, Havertz can play as a false 9 I guess, and Mount can play a little deeper otherwise... Sterling as a winger? Easily. As an inside forward in a front 3? Absolutely.

Hammondo

In a way it says a lot that City are at least ok with him leaving, possibly trying to get rid.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I mean he didn't win the CL final, and he's absolutely adored by the dippers?

It's not a hard concept. Players who score big goals are endeared by fans...
I'm sure he won the CL final for Liverpool against Tottenham...

And I'm saying that it is an irrational basis for rating players. Selecting Havertz over Sterling because of his age/potential, ok. Selecting Havertz over Sterling solely because the former scored in a CL final...

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
In a way it says a lot that City are at least ok with him leaving, possibly trying to get rid.
Not really, having Halland, Álvarez, Foden, Mahrez, Grealish. It would be a waste to have a player like Sterling warming the bench. Too much quality in attack but Sterling would be a starter in most big teams.

Hammondo

Not really, having Halland, Álvarez, Foden, Mahrez, Grealish. It would be a waste to have a player like Sterling warming the bench. Too much quality in attack but Sterling would be a starter in most big teams.
Yea hes fallen down the pecking order, I would not be surprised if City buy another wide player.

adexkola

Supports
.. among attackers who naturally drift wide and have played over 2,000 minutes of Premier League football since Sterling joined City in the summer of 2015, no player has a higher xG per shot than his 0.18. Put simply, the shot locations he roots out are of a consistently high quality. And while people often suggest he misses too many clear-cut opportunities, his conversion of big chances — 47 per cent — since 2015-16 is actually slightly above the average of 45 per cent among wide attackers, and the same as Mohamed Salah
From the Athletic...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
From the Athletic...
I’ve begun to warm to the idea the more I’ve thought about it. I read that athletic piece this morning and I’m not gonna lie, I’m almost convinced.

adexkola

Supports
I’ve begun to warm to the idea the more I’ve thought about it. I read that athletic piece this morning and I’m not gonna lie, I’m almost convinced.
Check the comments on the article. Full of people saying "feck the stats I'll believe my own eyes":lol:

He's extremely polarizing that's for sure

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think Danny Murphy on Talksport was right [shock horror], in a big must win game, I'd still start Sterling before Mahrez and/or Grealish. I'd also start him ahead of those 2 in general, Grealish - I just dont see the fuss. Genuinely

Jericholyte2

I think Danny Murphy on Talksport was right [shock horror], in a big must win game, I'd still start Sterling before Mahrez and/or Grealish. I'd also start him ahead of those 2 in general, Grealish - I just dont see the fuss. Genuinely
I’d put Mahrez ahead of him for the biggest games.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Got his best years then sold him for a small profit. That’s the way to do business.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Got his best years then sold him for a small profit. That’s the way to do business.
He is only 27 years old. He might have games in his legs but his best years as a proper starter for Chelsea may still be ahead of him. He is a player who has constantly matured.

I think it’s bad business by City. It may not matter with Haaland, but I think he is a great player and was underused last season.

When Richarlison/Raphinha go for £10 million more, this is a great bit of business from Chelsea in my opinion. He is far better than both of them.

Tallis

We can look forward to his return to City next year for a £4m loan fee

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He is only 27 years old. He might have games in his legs but his best years as a proper starter for Chelsea may still be ahead of him. He is a player who has constantly matured.

I think it’s bad business by City. It may not matter with Haaland, but I think he is a great player and was underused last season.

When Richarlison/Raphinha go for £10 million more, this is a great bit of business from Chelsea in my opinion. He is far better than both of them.
It’s definitely cheap for a player of his quality. I’m surprised City were ok selling to a title rival.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Their forward line is far improved losing the useless tosspot Lukaku and bringing in this fella'.

Status
Not open for further replies.