Rail seating in the PL

pascell

Sorry if this has already been done to death but I've not seen it spoken about here for a while. Anyhow, Wolves have just announced that they're going to be the first club in the PL to have an entire stand of rail seating installed, after 97% of season ticket holders agreed with the idea.

Here's a link for anyone who wants a read....

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ounce-plan-to-introduce-molineux-rail-seating

It mentions City, Palace and Everton have consulted their fans about the idea but still nothing from United about the idea. Does anyone think this will take off now that Wolves seem to have gained approval?

Great news. I've always thought it just needed one club to take the plunge and the rest would follow. It will do wonders for the atmosphere. Everybody knows its a good idea but nobody wanted to go first, considering the tragedies that have gone before.

pascell

Great news. I've always thought it just needed one club to take the plunge and the rest would follow. It will do wonders for the atmosphere. Everybody knows its a good idea but nobody wanted to go first, considering the tragedies that have gone before.
Yeah I'm hoping more and more clubs install them now, the only problems seem to lay with getting it past local councils etc. It is a risk after what's happened in the past but they've past the correct regulations and seem to work well, Celtic and Shrewsbury have them installed currently.

It'd be great if United decided to look at installing them, I'm sure it'd help with our lack of atmosphere and would slightly increase the capacity.

U-N-I-T-E-D

Yeah I'm hoping more and more clubs install them now, the only problems seem to lay with getting it past local councils etc. It is a risk after what's happened in the past but they've past the correct regulations and seem to work well, Celtic and Shrewsbury have them installed currently.

It'd be great if United decided to look at installing them, I'm sure it'd help with our lack of atmosphere and would slightly increase the capacity.
I don’t think it is at all as there would be no way of a crush that was seen at Hillsborough. In that regard there would be no difference vs seating.

Hope it becomes common place

Chipper

Adulterer.
What's the benefit of these "barrier" seats?

From the pics in the article they just look like smaller seats.
As seats - nothing. Think they're doing it as a part of a step towards lobbying for standing to be allowed again.

Some might well stand in those areas anyway, and then maybe the club will point and go 'look, it's safe, can we have offcial permission to stand now?'.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Stretford End Tier 2 is standing anyway. Makes zero difference for me.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As seats - nothing. Think they're doing it as a part of a step towards lobbying for standing to be allowed again.

Some might well stand in those areas anyway, and then maybe the club will point and go 'look, it's safe, can we have offcial permission to stand now?'.
Or use it as an excuse to squeeze 20% more seats (and get more money) into the same area.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves

Exactly that.

Our South Bank is almost exclusively standing already and we don't employ people to try and get everyone to sit down like you do (or used to at least) at Old Trafford!

All the articles have been keen to point out that "this move does not mean we condone standing" because it is still officially against the law. But the law will change in the near future.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Sorry if this has already been done to death but I've not seen it spoken about here for a while. Anyhow, Wolves have just announced that they're going to be the first club in the PL to have an entire stand of rail seating installed, after 97% of season ticket holders agreed with the idea.

Here's a link for anyone who wants a read....

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ounce-plan-to-introduce-molineux-rail-seating

It mentions City, Palace and Everton have consulted their fans about the idea but still nothing from United about the idea. Does anyone think this will take off now that Wolves seem to have gained approval?
Spurs already have this at their new ground

Jam

Totally against this.

I want to be able to sit and enjoy the sport while eating my sandwiches and drinking my J20. It would be abhorrent if I had some drunken louts stood around me all game shouting and blocking my view. My family simply will not stand for this attack on the civility and friendly atmosphere of the game.
Happy to see this step taken at more clubs now we have a Premier League club taking the plunge. Better regulations will be in place after we've learnt from the tragedies of the past.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Basically the only ones I can really see having an issue against it are Liverpool fans and that's totally understandable. Let them decide between themselves if that's an avenue they want to go down.

In the meantime it serves a purpose. Install it in every ground and then it's up to them if they want to allow standing or not and they can do it on a game by game basis,

Having the choice is always better than an outright ban and it's a long way removed from when the ban came into place. Stadiums and fans are virtually unrecognisable from back then so it's high time the powers that be realised that too and gave us what we want.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Or use it as an excuse to squeeze 20% more seats (and get more money) into the same area.
I didn't know they were smaller. If so, and you're planning to sit better hope you're not stuck in between a couple of rotund individuals.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Is it just me or there a giant bar in front of everyone at exactly head height? :lol: I know this is for standing really but it's not exactly convincing as sort of for sitting.
Anyway, good move forward.

beergod

It's long overdue. I hope it works out nicely for Wolves and their fans.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I've never understood the reluctance of clubs to install these. The law says you can't stand at top flight games. These are seats, albeit a different design to the majority in the Premier League but seats nonetheless and are perfectly legal to be installed.

duffer

Scout
I've never understood the reluctance of clubs to install these. The law says you can't stand at top flight games. These are seats, albeit a different design to the majority in the Premier League but seats nonetheless and are perfectly legal to be installed.
What is the point of them?

duffer

Scout
It means that when people are standing and jumping around (usually after a goal is scored) there is no risk of anyone going over the seat in front of them.
I've never, ever seen that happen at any ground (and I've been to most). I appreciate safety is paramount but they look like they'd restrict people's views just to cram more people in.

redshaw

Well if you can get 20% more in then I think it would be good for OT when it drops to 73k soon for the disabled sections.

Kit out the Stretford and maybe the second tier of the east stand to bump the attendance back up.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I've never, ever seen that happen at any ground (and I've been to most). I appreciate safety is paramount but they look like they'd restrict people's views just to cram more people in.
I haven't either but it's a risk and these seats aliveate it. In reality, the point of them is to get standing sections back at top flight football. No one wants a return to the old style terracing and the rail seating is perfect for bringing legal standing back to the game.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
According to the article they have a portion of seats that can be turned into these 'rail' seats, they'd have to be granted permission first, as it stands they're not actually installed.
They were in the away section for the CL

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Basically the only ones I can really see having an issue against it are Liverpool fans and that's totally understandable. Let them decide between themselves if that's an avenue they want to go down.

In the meantime it serves a purpose. Install it in every ground and then it's up to them if they want to allow standing or not and they can do it on a game by game basis,

Having the choice is always better than an outright ban and it's a long way removed from when the ban came into place. Stadiums and fans are virtually unrecognisable from back then so it's high time the powers that be realised that too and gave us what we want.
Look at Liverpool away ends, they all stand just as Man. United and many away ends do.

This feels inevitable now if likes of Spurs are adding sections in stadiums. Can see law change in next five years.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
If everyone is stood where they are allocated a seat and there’s railings like this there’s no reason not to allow standing, it’s not remotely close to the terraces of the old days.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Dont get the problem with this. The argument that is always brought up is Hillsborough but it’s hard to blame standing up for what occurred. Rail seats are a big leap forward, stops you from going flying down a few rows after a late winner :lol:

MAME DIOUF 32

Basically the only ones I can really see having an issue against it are Liverpool fans and that's totally understandable.
There is no remotely legitimate connection between the events of Hillsborough and the possibility of rail seating. If Liverpool fans have an issue then they're just wrong. Support the families and their fight for justice but there's no reason to indulge illogical ideas.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
There is no remotely legitimate connection between the events of Hillsborough and the possibility of rail seating. If Liverpool fans have an issue then they're just wrong. Support the families and their fight for justice but there's no reason to indulge illogical ideas.
The majority of Liverpool fans are in favour of it. Clearly, it's a very sensitive subject around Anfield but Spirit of Shankly ran a poll and like I say, the majority want it brought back in.
As others have said, this is a far cry from the old crumbling terraces of the 80's and would hopefully get atmospheres back to where they once were

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I’m in full agreement but they have emotional issues related to standing hence I mentioned it. Emotions aren’t rational. Many Liverpool fans want standing back but many don’t due to Hillsborough. There aren’t many other clubs with similar reasons.

There’s no logical argument against it now.