Raimond Van Der Gouw

FujiVice

Good little interview with him on the United official podcast, with Maysie, Helen Evans and the lad who looks like Marlon Dingle. Comes across as a really good guy and professional. Buries the shit out of Schmeichel, though. "Selfish" is the word he used. Thought it was all about him, would rather play injured at the expense of the team than allow the second choice to have a game (uses an example of playing with a torn hamstring and not being able to kick in the 97-98 season.) A few players have said this about Schmeichel to be fair, and Van Der Gouw does say sometimes he liked him.

Well worth a listen if you have an hour on the train or something. I liked Van Der Gouw. Thought he was the best number 2 you could have in that era. Its not like how where you'll happily earn £60,000 a week to hold the numbers board up. People wanted to play back then.

SirAF

Ageist
Good little interview with him on the United official podcast, with Maysie, Helen Evans and the lad who looks like Marlon Dingle. Comes across as a really good guy and professional. Buries the shit out of Schmeichel, though. "Selfish" is the word he used. Thought it was all about him, would rather play injured at the expense of the team than allow the second choice to have a game (uses an example of playing with a torn hamstring and not being able to kick in the 97-98 season.) A few players have said this about Schmeichel to be fair, and Van Der Gouw does say sometimes he liked him.

Well worth a listen if you have an hour on the train or something. I liked Van Der Gouw. Thought he was the best number 2 you could have in that era. Its not like how where you'll happily earn £60,000 a week to hold the numbers board up. People wanted to play back then.
Pleasantly surprised they would have that on the official podcast.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I always liked him. Not surprised about the Schmeichel comments. I could imagine that being the case, but then is it necessarily a terrible trait for someone in his position? Probably stemmed from what made him such a winner.

stubie

Top professional Van Der Gouw was and was always reliable when needed.

Always struck me as a down to earth guy

redmanx

I always liked him. Not surprised about the Schmeichel comments. I could imagine that being the case, but then is it necessarily a terrible trait for someone in his position? Probably stemmed from what made him such a winner.
And at his peak, even carrying an injury Schmeical was the best keeper in the prem

FujiVice

I could imagine that being the case, but then is it necessarily a terrible trait for someone in his position? Probably stemmed from what made him such a winner.
I'd say if you look at the end of a persons career and say "did he get the most out of it using those methods" then you cant really argue. Van Der Sar and Schmeichel couldnt be more different in their attitudes towards the game, but their honours at the end of their career will stand up against anyone.

Cant imagine you'd want to live next door to him, though.

mu4c_20le

I'm one of those who appreciated but never really liked him that much (Schmeichel).

lex talionis

Thanks for the tip on this one. I always liked Raymond but I was blown away by his courage on a goal line save when he took a knee to the face and he knew it was coming.

lysglimt

Scout
In fairness - you rarely hear people praise Peter Schmeichel the person :)

Raymond was an ideal back-up keeper - he was reliable rather than extraordinary. He did his job - he saved what he should.

GueRed

I'd say if you look at the end of a persons career and say "did he get the most out of it using those methods" then you cant really argue. Van Der Sar and Schmeichel couldnt be more different in their attitudes towards the game, but their honours at the end of their career will stand up against anyone.

Cant imagine you'd want to live next door to him, though.
Steve Bruce and Schmeichel were friends and good neighbours whilst together at United.

you'd never have guessed it with the consistent expletive shouting matches they used to have during games.

Winners.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It is kinda bad when you consider one of his rationales for leaving United was that there wasn't enough rest time between games and he felt like his body wasn't coping with the demands of being at United anymore.

Foxbatt

It is kinda bad when you consider one of his rationales for leaving United was that there wasn't enough rest time between games and he felt like his body wasn't coping with the demands of being at United anymore.
I think he also did say that he couldn't keep up the high standards required at United.

Tiber

I listented to the Rooney episode of the United podcast a couple of days ago. It's a much better podcast than I expected