Gaming Rain World

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I had another go of this weekend.

The world is gorgeous and I've started to get used to the platforming. However I have no idea what to do or where to go. I know that is kind of the point, but everytime I play it I explore for a bit (often going through the same areas time and again), find a predator, usually avoid them for a bit before they eventually catch me.
Unfortunately that's the common trajectory for the first few hours before the good stuff starts alleviating the frustrations. Even after that there are moments of huge annoyance for the entire first playthrough. However the pleasures increase exponentially from those first few hours.

The common direction tip for first time players is keep going left and then up when possible. The yellow guy will guide you but he can be confusing as hell.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I felt it close today. It rumbles before my eyes but I still don't see it. The warmth of the journey keeps me going. There's nothing like it.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Oh to be a Slugcat, where your only worries are 9 breeds of lizard, laser guided vultures and giant amorphous blobs all bent on your evisceration.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I just spent about 40 hours gathering 15 pearls and now I have to take them individually to another area so they can be deciphered.

One is lead to assume that Rain World adheres to the Aristotelian model of an eternal substratum, from which all proceeds.

You never finish.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Corrupted save file gone to the Garbage Wastes with all my pearls and vulture masks and neurons and echos and karma, but it's. alright. ma. I'm only memeing.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I just finished the final Hunter run, so that's everything done that can be done. It goes:
Rain World
Shadow of the Colossus
And that's it, nothing else measures up.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Tried some new games but all is vanity. I'm back doing a kill them all and let the iterators decide run and having a blast.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Make sure you’re well fed before daring to rest at a new hibernation chamber. Do a few quick reconnaissance runs (but get back before the rain!) Take it slowly. Focus on eating. If you’ve got empty food slots, make sure they’re bloody well full. I can’t stress enough: playing this game like it’s a rush through levels, is bad. Take your time. Focus on survival. Move on when you have to.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Make sure you’re well fed before daring to rest at a new hibernation chamber. Do a few quick reconnaissance runs (but get back before the rain!) Take it slowly. Focus on eating. If you’ve got empty food slots, make sure they’re bloody well full. I can’t stress enough: playing this game like it’s a rush through levels, is bad. Take your time. Focus on survival. Move on when you have to.
Good advice for the novice and intermediate slugcat. The advanced Hunter meta depends on preparing for starvation cycles as a means to travel further on the finite number of hibernation cycles.

I made it from Outskirts to Five Pebbles and back to Sky Islands on a single cycle, and that cycle was only used to access the gate for a second time.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
January 19 release date. It will have a co-op mode, so we can all do that. The new music sounds great so far. Looking good slugcat.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I had modest hopes for the Downpour DLC given that another team who weren't part of the original had been brought in to build it. I was expecting at best for it to be some fun fan fiction that cribbed from the original. It exceeds all my expectations. This expansion is exceptional.

The tone and ethos remains perfectly in line with the original. It seemlessly expands the world while staying true to the universe. The new cats are brilliantly designed, adding fresh challenges and new enjoyable ways to play. The music is great, the new creatures are stunning and having played the original in to the ground, these new additions have added a real freshness and spice, allowing my to enjoy the thing all over again.

The best game I've ever played. Again.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just came back to this thread because you mentioned Rain World in the PS5 thread and can't believe you re-tweeted Tate :lol:
Because it sounded like a dumbo post, surely you realise this :wenger: