Television Raised by wolves (TV series)

caid

Is it worth starting this? The thread seemed to have trailed off with 'it's shit' at the end.
First season starts a lot stronger than it ends. I enjoyed it despite the direction it went in.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is it worth starting this? The thread seemed to have trailed off with 'it's shit' at the end.
It’s good weird fun in the beginning, then has the predictable dip once the world-building is established. The end...well, I’ll let you make up your mind on that if you get that far.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks all for the feedback. I will put this on the back burner for now.

Andersons Dietician

Kind of enjoyed it and seems set up for a 2nd season but yeah the finish was a little hard to bare and at times I felt like I was watching Vikings. They might as well have just used some of the footage from that.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I watched the last 2 episodes on Friday and I still can't get over that ending ie
the snake birth
. The feck is that bollocks? Completely lost my interest with that.

Not only that but there's so much going on, it's hard to see where they're taking it. Plus I thought the CGI was crap at times. That fecking space ship they fly around in looks like a student designed 3d render and the
snake that she gives birth to
looks crap also.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Kind of enjoyed it and seems set up for a 2nd season but yeah the finish was a little hard to bare and at times I felt like I was watching Vikings. They might as well have just used some of the footage from that.
I've not watched Vikings but how is it comparable? Me and my brother were left scratching our heads after watching this. He's now started Vikings :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've not watched Vikings but how is it comparable? Me and my brother were left scratching our heads after watching this. He's now started Vikings :lol:
Because Ragnar, errr...Travis Fimmel I mean, in a remarkable feat plays the same character somehow in both shows.

Andersons Dietician

Because Ragnar, errr...Travis Fimmel I mean, in a remarkable feat plays the same character somehow in both shows.
This exactly. I can’t recall what season in to vikings it was but this was basically a mirror image of the character in that time period. Heck even before the breakdown he was giving serious strong Ragnar vibes.

Best character in the show is probably Father with his array of top notch jokes.

caid

+ 1 for Father.
I can get on board with the madness but the characters were very hit and miss in season 1 and it kind of needs that hook to keep me along for the ride elsewhere. Child actors are a hard sell.

justsomebloke

We binged our way through this during Christmas, and can't wait for the next season. I think it's astoundingly good - much better than Blade Runner and probably better than the Alien trilogy too. I love how it weaves a story that works on many levels at once - literal, symbolic, mythic, religious, psychological, technological. You can take it as entertainment, or as an intellectual stimulant, or almost as a kind of poetry. It's a masterpiece. Right up there with "Normal People" and "Patrick Melrose", as instant and obvious classics.

The storylines do multiply unsatisfyingly in the late episodes. But I suspect there'll turn out to be reasons for that.

Eriku

Could do with higher production values, but I really enjoyed that. Provoked a lot of thought for me, and one scene from episode 5 really floored me.

When Mother meets her creator, you glean a tiny bit of info of the plot beyond what we get told in the rest of the season, and you see what Necromancer really is. Her snapping the fake baby’s neck really jolted me :eek:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Could do with higher production values, but I really enjoyed that. Provoked a lot of thought for me, and one scene from episode 5 really floored me.

When Mother meets her creator, you glean a tiny bit of info of the plot beyond what we get told in the rest of the season, and you see what Necromancer really is. Her snapping the fake baby’s neck really jolted me :eek:
Care to elaborate on this? I've just watched the final episode and I'm feeling very ambivalent about it.
Basically there are a lot of good ideas but it's not really fleshed out. Like...
...in the beginning when Campion's siblings die off I didn't really care about it because no relationships had been established and for all we knew they had more frozen embryos ready to go.
Or the whole Mithraic gang is basically very one dimensional.
I would have loved for the devolving species to be more fleshed out as well. It was intriguing they were there but it just felt shallow.
Or when Mother got pregnant she initially thought it was her creator who had somehow planned to download a pregnancy to her on a planet far away with a machine that was from the Mithraic ark(?). And then Mother said it wasn't her creator but something else. What/who else? That left me a bit confused and brings me to my final point...
...It seemed like a lot of shit happened without much explanation or anything, but just happened because it had to. To create a sense of mystery or whatever. But it just felt a shallow and unexplored for the most part.

Mother and Father were played really well though. And I thought the less human-like androids were pretty funny as well.

Eriku

Care to elaborate on this? I've just watched the final episode and I'm feeling very ambivalent about it.
Basically there are a lot of good ideas but it's not really fleshed out. Like...
...in the beginning when Campion's siblings die off I didn't really care about it because no relationships had been established and for all we knew they had more frozen embryos ready to go.
Or the whole Mithraic gang is basically very one dimensional.
I would have loved for the devolving species to be more fleshed out as well. It was intriguing they were there but it just felt shallow.
Or when Mother got pregnant she initially thought it was her creator who had somehow planned to download a pregnancy to her on a planet far away with a machine that was from the Mithraic ark(?). And then Mother said it wasn't her creator but something else. What/who else? That left me a bit confused and brings me to my final point...
...It seemed like a lot of shit happened without much explanation or anything, but just happened because it had to. To create a sense of mystery or whatever. But it just felt a shallow and unexplored for the most part.

Mother and Father were played really well though. And I thought the less human-like androids were pretty funny as well.
Well, it is a first season of story that supposedly has been mapped out for several seasons. Not that I’ve not heard that before. A few points that I’ve gleaned from reddit, from people who’ve watched panels with the creators and whatnot:

Sol is an actual force, probably one of several "deities" manipulating life around the universe for their own ends.

It may have been Sol or indeed just some AI creature that managed to use mother as a 3D printer for their offspring. Sol is clearly technologically competent, as he bestowed technological advances through Mithraic texts.

This may never deliver in any way and have just turned out to be sci-fi held together with scotch tape, but for me I found the first season well worth watching. Even though it feels hollow and contrived in a lot of ways, as you say.

It illustrated issues in bringing up children, in questions of solace in hopeless situations without irrational beliefs. Mother and Father both had moments akin to Data in Star Trek, where their puzzled surface take on what they’re going through manages to highlight near-universally relatable experiences. I am also intrigued to see where this goes, and I find myself sympathising with and rooting for mother, despite what she originally was, and maybe always will be.

justsomebloke

I can't think of a word less applicable to it than "hollow" - it's absolutely permeated with mythical, archetypal and religious resonance. So much so that it's hardly possible to absorb it all in a single viewing. The multiplication of plotlines in the final episodes was heavy going, sure - but I would suppose that this is to set the scene for the next season. We're in the middle of the story, there's no reason why things would be resolved or moving towards resolution at this stage.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I can't think of a word less applicable to it than "hollow" - it's absolutely permeated with mythical, archetypal and religious resonance. So much so that it's hardly possible to absorb it all in a single viewing. The multiplication of plotlines in the final episodes was heavy going, sure - but I would suppose that this is to set the scene for the next season. We're in the middle of the story, there's no reason why things would be resolved or moving towards resolution at this stage.
I don't know. It might have been full of different things but they only really scratched the surface with most of it in my opinion. I might not have picked up on all the symbolism and such but the plot itself felt rushed and shallow.
I honestly think it would have been better if the first season was a bit shorter and was just about two androids bringing up six kids on a strange planet with the kids slowly dying off. And how that might lead even the staunchest atheist towards religious sentiments. Then they could end the season with
the arrival of the Mithraic ark.
Right now I'm not really interested to see what next season will bring.

Dante

Average bang
Is anybody else still watching this? The latest episode was brilliant. The second season is really ramping up.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Is anybody else still watching this? The latest episode was brilliant. The second season is really ramping up.
Definitely willing to give it another shot despite me wavering in the second half of the first season. Sci-Fi always gets a long leash.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't even know the second season had started, so cheers. I'm off to watch it now!

parkthebuslads

I'm enjoying this season more than the first but continue to find the guy playing Campion to be rather painful.

justsomebloke

I thought the first season was brilliant, perhaps the best thing Ridley Scott ever made. So I've waiting impatiently for the second season. I think it feels a little bit like it's in an awkward phase so far. Issues, themes and plotlines were snowballing rather than resolved in the final episodes in season 1, and the transition into the next phase in the narrative that we're seeing now doesn't feel complete yet. It'll be interesting to see how it develops. With all the mythical/religious/existential elements it throws out there, and its obvious use of symbolism and allegory, the plotline really needs to come together and work as a whole - it can't afford to twist and turn with no particular aim, like a lot of series do.

Dante

Average bang
Well, that was bat shit crazy. But I loved it in spite of that. Can understand why others might not. I personally can't wait for season 3.

Bole Top

it looked interesting enough to put it on my watchlist, and indeed it was... for about 6 episodes. after that I watched the rest of the first season the way I usually watch shows that are losing my focus, by watching and browsing player performance threads. I mean, there are only 8 episodes left so I can easily finish it, but I see no reason. it's not terrible, it just isn't interesting or rewarding enough. in general, you should never, ever struggle with a SF show or movie. I can see why it was canceled.

justsomebloke

it looked interesting enough to put it on my watchlist, and indeed it was... for about 6 episodes. after that I watched the rest of the first season the way I usually watch shows that are losing my focus, by watching and browsing player performance threads. I mean, there are only 8 episodes left so I can easily finish it, but I see no reason. it's not terrible, it just isn't interesting or rewarding enough. in general, you should never, ever struggle with a SF show or movie. I can see why it was canceled.
I thought it was absolutely brilliant, and was hugely disappointed it was cancelled. But that's taste I suppose.