Ralf Rangnick | 2021/22 Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus agrippa

I agree to an extent but days like today we really need that extra body pulling his weight too and he can’t. It’s like ibra all over again
I knew the instant I saw the line up that McTomminay-Matic would get dominated, and it's really concerning Rangnick seemed okay with that to the extent he didn't even replace either of them.

Replacing Greenwood was just criminal. I agree with bringing on Bruno. Bringing on Rashford was a waste of a sub.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Anyone else just not fond of his post matches? Guy talks with the blunt of Mourinho but without the accolades. Players must get tired of it.

MrBest

He is being told who and how to play, we got way too excited over him and he does not have the ability to manage a club like ours or these players are just a lost cause. I have no idea, but what we have seen in 5 games has been depressing, apart from the first 30 mins against palace which I had hoped would be the new us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He needs to grow a pair with his selections. Ronaldo is so blatantly not suited to whatever he's trying to do, at least not as a regular and for every minute. Players are just being shoe horned in so far.

sugar_kane

He needs to grow a pair with his selections. Ronaldo is so blatantly not suited to whatever he's trying to do, at least not as a regular and for every minute. Players are just being shoe horned in so far.
Mad thing is, unlike most managers he has a free shot as interim to do what he wants. He's no need to keep Ronaldo sweet for the sake of long term job security.

So either he believes he can make it work with Ronaldo (which, given that he made him captain suggests maybe he does) or he is being overruled by the powers the be within the club, which is equally conceivable.

AshRK

If he is actually smart like he claims then he should stop playing grandpa matic. I mean he talks about pressing but plays two 30 plus attackers and Matic. You don't need to be managing at a top level to figure out that's suicidal. I sometimes wonder how come players/managers after coming here start becoming shit. He has to bin the 4-2-2-2 and play to the team's strength.

Also ffs go and get a midfielder and not waste any time with the junks we have.

lawliet354

Is there any top teams that still use 2 strikers? Kinda weird that he persist with the formation given how shite the team plays since he came

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
What happened to the pressing? It's been nonexistent since the Palace game.

48 hours

Starting to think he’s not the brilliant tactician that I thought he was

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think he needs to revise his selections for sure. And his system. I have faith in the manager to make us better but he's made some silly mistakes. Cavani can't 2 play 90 minute games in 4 days, Ronaldo should have been rotated too I feel. 4222 doesn't really work and Matic in a midfield 2 is a problem.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Who would have thought that our best manager this season would be Michael Carrick?

Vaibhav Raj

The sheer inability displayed my most our players to execute simple passes with correct weight is baffling. These are not some line breaking or complex passes. These are simple, short passes. And this is not an issue that has crept in recently. This has been there since the time of Mourinho. It has only been further compounded by failure to buy players who are good, reliable passers I really believe that this Manchester United team combined together is one of the weaker ones in terms of passing and ability to carry the ball forward. Those two weaknesses combined together inevitably stagnate any kind of flow/style managers want to implement. Our opposition usually isn't better than our team in terms of overall flair and skill but we consistently give away the impetus to opposition teams by loose passing and by being unable to drop and shoulder and get past players in crowded midfield. The recruitment, from hereon, needs to be better and needs to particularly focused on fixing that bottleneck midfield.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
In hindsight you look at his managerial past and wonder if we have dropped a clanger here.

Please prove me wrong Ralf!
We haven't dropped a clanger. Once Ole was sacked we obviously needed a new manager. The club (for once) took the right decision in waiting if the top targets weren't available so that left the interim route. Ralf was my first choice. Not because of his managerial skills but because of his experience he can offer the club as a consultant in the DOF role. If the only way to achieve that was to give him the interim for 6 months then I don't have a problem with that.

Giving Ralf the role he can at least see first hand the changes that will be needed in the short/medium term to get us functioning again as a top level club. So even if he is a failure as a manager which could be a distinct possibility the experience he will have obtained will definitely benefit him as well as the club when his interim period ends.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

The sheer inability displayed my most our players to execute simple passes with correct weight is baffling. These are not some line breaking or complex passes. These are simple, short passes. And this is not an issue that has crept in recently. This has been there since the time of Mourinho. It has only been further compounded by failure to buy players who are good, reliable passers I really believe that this Manchester United team combined together is one of the weaker ones in terms of passing and ability to carry the ball forward. Those two weaknesses combined together inevitably stagnate any kind of flow/style managers want to implement. Our opposition usually isn't better than our team in terms of overall flair and skill but we consistently give away the impetus to opposition teams by loose passing and by being unable to drop and shoulder and get past players in crowded midfield. The recruitment, from hereon, needs to be better and needs to particularly focused on fixing that bottleneck midfield.
This is the same game.

RepardReece

We haven't dropped a clanger. Once Ole was sacked we obviously needed a new manager. The club (for once) took the right decision in waiting if the top targets weren't available so that left the interim route. Ralf was my first choice. Not because of his managerial skills but because of his experience he can offer the club as a consultant in the DOF role. If the only way to achieve that was to give him the interim for 6 months then I don't have a problem with that.

Giving Ralf the role he can at least see first hand the changes that will be needed in the short/medium term to get us functioning again as a top level club. So even if he is a failure as a manager which could be a distinct possibility the experience he will have obtained will definitely benefit him as well as the club when his interim period ends.
Agree with this. Our club is a complete mess and he's a guy that could turn it around up there.

Anyway, this meltdown from the fanbase on this forum is so enjoyable. We've won 3 of 4, all be it not playing well at all. The thing that concerns me the most is not Ralf, but rather the players, they are turning on Ralf according to reports. My guess is because they don't want to work hard, and they want to slouch around on a massive paycheck under a manager like Ole again. I'm willing to bet it's most of the english boys too (Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, Greenwood etc.), they're too busy being gangstas instead of actually training.

United in sin

Anyone else just not fond of his post matches? Guy talks with the blunt of Mourinho but without the accolades. Players must get tired of it.
He speaks honestly and I love it. He doesn't need Mourinho's accolades, he's literally built clubs from scratch with youth players and had them competing in Europe. He's quietly the most influencial manager in modern football

dpansheth

Agree with this. Our club is a complete mess and he's a guy that could turn it around up there.

Anyway, this meltdown from the fanbase on this forum is so enjoyable. We've won 3 of 4, all be it not playing well at all. The thing that concerns me the most is not Ralf, but rather the players, they are turning on Ralf according to reports. My guess is because they don't want to work hard, and they want to slouch around on a massive paycheck under a manager like Ole again. I'm willing to bet it's most of the english boys too (Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, Greenwood etc.), they're too busy being gangstas instead of actually training.
not just that;
The expectations (atleast a majority) was that “stop bandaids and reform this club like other modern clubs”.
What effectively that meant was we needed organizational changes across the board; management and playing staff. And it was accepted that we needed changes.
What past few weeks showed us was exactly that; management changes in progress and playing staff issues are emerging now which needed attention from last 9-10 years .

lets use this post to remind everyone, us fans, players and management, we are about a season away from completing “a decade since last championship”.

theres going to be pain along the way.

allen7

Results and tactics aside, he’s doing best by managing a toxic dressing room and horrible media speculations.
Most importantly he knows what the problem is with this squad, if someone is ready to accept the shortcomings I’m sure there will be a way they work to overcome that.

Foxbatt

We know that we can play pressing games as we showed in the first half against Palace. He needs to dump publicly any players who refuse to accept his tactics, be it Ronaldo, Rashford or Maguire or anyone else.

leon24

He has to banish CR7 to the reserves for not being able to press to his expectations, to show the rest he actually means business.

Mickson

Talks a good game, but has plenty to prove. Again, I expect us to be good tonight. Expect. But I'm not sure I believe that we will be and he has to fix that ASAP.

JB7

He has to banish CR7 to the reserves for not being able to press to his expectations, to show the rest he actually means business.
He's literally the only player that has been pressing over the past few games.

JB7

So he's made some comments on DDG - the second goalkeeper referenced is Neuer so that this makes sense.

Well, I think they are both definitely on the list of the top five goalkeepers in the world. Maybe even in the top three.
They are both in a fantastic shape, physically and, as well as on the line, when it’s about controlling the box, David De Gea is probably one of the best, if not the best, in the world and we are very happy to have him.
But, honestly, as a coach, I would prefer more of those games, for example, against Crystal Palace, where we don’t need him as much and, in order to achieve that, we just need to make sure we don’t have too many shots on goal.
We had too many shots on our goal, also in the first half against Wolves, and the same was true at Newcastle or even at Norwich. But again, on the other hand, it’s good to have someone like David in goal - a fantastic professional, a fantastic player and it’s great to work with a player like him.
Now I appreciate my view on DDG is somewhat different to many on here but the bolded part has to be incredibly concerning to anyone who watches our games. DDG is many things but surely there is nobody out there (seemingly other than Ralf) who thinks he controls his box at all, let alone thinks is the best in the world at it?

lex talionis

Interesting comment about Dave “controlling the box”. Dave’s positioning is outstanding and he has improved his commitment to coping with crosses, but it’s not correct to say he’s one of the best keepers at controlling the box.

Dave has been dealt shitty back lines during most of his time at United. Maguire, the captain, has played at a calamitous level for almost two years now. I’d like to see more from Dave working directly with his defenders, but he has improved his game in other areas beside shot stopping, the aspect of his game that is undeniably at the very highest level.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Has Rangnick given up trying to press, have the players given up trying to implement his ideas? Went for a classic Ole/Mourinho 4-2-3-1 tonight with classic Ole/Mourinho tactics: Broken team, deep behind the ball in defence. Increasingly looks like he won't be able to have any real impact. What a come down after that first hour against Crystal Palace...

united for life

Part of me is happy this shit show will force the board to search for a proper manager in summer and won't repeat Ole mistake by hiring Ralf permanently. He's only an interim and shouldn't be anything else.

The problem is still as an interim he's not even doing that well but that's something else. This season is a write off for me personally. I don't want us to feck up next season as well.
My worry is how much can we attract top talent if we miss out on champions league and if we continue being a mess of a club…

Kaos

My worry is how much can we attract top talent if we miss out on champions league and if we continue being a mess of a club…
Might be a blessing in disguise, hopefully it means we move away from our transfer strategy of hollywood signings irrespective of whether they fit the profile of what our manager wants, and actually look to signing lower profile signings that fit our proposed system better.

Lost bear

Yes, strongly agree with that.

united for life

yes, also send bruno for not performing well out of position. Maybe take henderson and vdb who asked to move. Who else? Rashford, sancho, awb, shaw, fred and greenwood. Send them all to the reserve to show that he has authority. Make mctominay captain and win the league

Walters_19_MuFc

If today's game pans out the same as the other day, then screw you Ralf for not changing anything, despite identifying that an extra midfielder changed the game for us.

Based Adnan

Serious lack of game management.

Also what the feck were those subs? Chasing a goal and he puts on Lingard and Donny for Bruno and Greenwood.

Ludens the Red

Unimpressed by him tbh. His game management has been dire. I'm not sure why Fred was being instructed to push ahead of our midfield and Cavani and pointlessly press.
Seems to take too long to make subs. Game was crying out for midfield control and he does nothing.
We go from one clueless coach to another. It's truly astonishing how people being paid thousands to do a job are incapable of seeing things hundreds in the match day thread can see and complain about.

I think we’ve played like 6 of the bottom eight in the league and basically had large spells in the game where we’ve been dominated. It’s just so fecking bad right now.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He needs to do something when he sees games being taken away from us.

I mean he must see it right?

UncleBob

He seems a bit fecking useless. Talks about being proactive on the pitch, but he's as fecking passive as it gets

Water Melon

Ralf slept today, missed the second half. Cost us the game. Not good enough.

BlueHaze

Thought when Ole left it would be the end of Fred but no, even this guy keeps playing him every game...

Status
Not open for further replies.