Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

frostbite

What he does with Austria is irrelevant. Moyes did well with West Ham. Still not suited for top clubs.

stevoc

He has had 6 months getting to know the club and players. This will make his consultancy work much easier to perform. A lot issues with players and structure he will be able to let ETH know and help change. Essentially we have saved ETH 6 months of getting to know all of this himself. He will be able to work much more efficiently in his first transfer window and will be able to go straight into fixing player issues during the summer break. I'd rather that then top 4 with Carrick and then a new manager beginning from scratch again.
I mean obviously none of this assessing or whatever the feck people thought Ralf was doing the last 6 months instead of his official job was actually happening but hypothetically Carrick could have filled ETH in on whatever he thoguht he needed to know. We didn't need to miss out on top 4 to pass some notes about the squad onto the next manager.

stevoc

People can’t seem to get it into their heads that Rangnick was brought in to assess the squad, handover to a new manager and then move upstairs. Exactly what he is doing.
Because some people don't like speculative fan fictions. Ralf wasn't and isn't doing any of that shit.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Because some people don't like speculative fan fictions. Ralf wasn't and isn't doing any of that shit.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.That post is over a month old!

Amarsdd

It's becoming clear - our board is playing 4D Chess. His advisor role is clearly still going on, but the board have allowed him to go undercover.

The players blamed Ralf and he blamed the players, which put us at a standstill in an undesired situation.

So now they've obviously sent Ralf to a different team to have them play well in order to put pressure on our players.

The players have now been cornered and their only move now is to show up once the season starts.

That's when the real confusion starts.
:lol: (not sure if serious)

stevoc

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.That post is over a month old!
Not a case of hindsight though. Been reading similar for months and saying for months that he was simply just the manager and that's it. There was no grand plan, no bigger pitcure, no assessments, no audits, no dossiers. Just a bad Interim hire that people created a fanciful narrative around.

Lyng

I mean obviously none of this assessing or whatever the feck people thought Ralf was doing the last 6 months instead of his official job was actually happening but hypothetically Carrick could have filled ETH in on whatever he thoguht he needed to know. We didn't need to miss out on top 4 to pass some notes about the squad onto the next manager.
I am sorry for not being Nostradamus. Feck me Rangnick lives rent free in some of your minds.

Lyng

Not a case of hindsight though. Been reading similar for months and saying for months that he was simply just the manager and that's it. There was no grand plan, no bigger pitcure, no assessments, no audits, no dossiers. Just a bad Interim hire that people created a fanciful narrative around.
I think it was fair for people to assume there was more to it, because of how incredibly stupid the other option was. He is known for building clubs and is among the best in the world at it, meanwhile he is known to only work as a manager in long term projects.
So with all the talk from United of a rebuild etc, the idea that they would get Rangnick, of all people, to come in only to be a interim and with a group of players that pretty much are the antithesis of his playing style, simply seemed to clueless and daft to be true. Yet here we are.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it was fair for people to assume there was more to it, because of how incredibly stupid the other option was. He is known for building clubs and is among the best in the world at it, meanwhile he is known to only work as a manager in long term projects.
So with all the talk from United of a rebuild etc, the idea that they would get Rangnick, of all people, to come in only to be a interim and with a group of players that pretty much are the antithesis of his playing style, simply seemed to clueless and daft to be true. Yet here we are.
I don't think so. This whole idea that United's DoF would hire Rangnick to basically do his own job, but on a consultancy level was always bordering on delusional.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
I don't think so. This whole idea that United's DoF would hire Rangnick to basically do his own job, but on a consultancy level was always bordering on delusional.
I might be remembering it wrong and be wide of the mark but wasn’t that exactly what the club said his role was? Maybe believing anything the club says is delusional at this point though I suppose!

Lyng

Read the rest. Hiring Rangnick only as a stop gap was so incredibly stupid of an idea that it seemed mad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Read the rest. Hiring Rangnick only as a stop gap was so incredibly stupid of an idea that it seemed mad.
When you have the options "stupid" and "completely illogical" for an explanation, then "stupid" almost always wins.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Bang on
I had to laugh when I was hearing or reading people say he was there to give notes on the players to ETH

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The problem with this speculation and most of the Rangnick 'support' here is that it required ignoring lots of stuff, actual statements made by people, reports in the press, etc.

Rangnick said he was hired because United were conceding too many goals, and his main goal as interim was to stop that. He said that for him to be successful they'd have to get top 4 and push far in the cups. It was reported earlier this year that consultancy plans were on hold so that he could focus on coaching, that the club asked him to focus on coaching and getting top 4. It was reported early on that he was the one who sought the consultancy, not United. It was reported that the details of the consultancy hadn't been figured out, and if I recall, Rangnick confirmed that he hadn't talked to the club about what this consultancy would entail.

There's no way to reconcile these statement with a 'Rangnick is hired to rebuild the club' narrative unless you claim he's just lying for no reason.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The problem with this speculation and most of the Rangnick 'support' here is that it required ignoring lots of stuff, actual statements made by people, reports in the press, etc.
This plus the fact all of those statements and reports were routinely posted to counter the speculation and those posters were ignored too (or belittled and basically told they were stupid and didn't understand football/ see the bigger picture).

I'm pretty sure you were pointing it out for months (amongst others).

It was mass delusion based on willful ignorance for the most part.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Rangnick said he was hired because United were conceding too many goals, and his main goal as interim was to stop that. He said that for him to be successful they'd have to get top 4 and push far in the cups. It was reported earlier this year that consultancy plans were on hold so that he could focus on coaching, that the club asked him to focus on coaching and getting top 4. It was reported early on that he was the one who sought the consultancy, not United. It was reported that the details of the consultancy hadn't been figured out, and if I recall, Rangnick confirmed that he hadn't talked to the club about what this consultancy would entail.

There's no way to reconcile these statement with a 'Rangnick is hired to rebuild the club' narrative unless you claim he's just lying for no reason.
The likeliest scenario was always that "the consultancy" was just a guaranteed paycheck for Rangnick, so he wouldn't be at risk of ending up unemployed after quitting his job for a few months at United.

stevoc

I am sorry for not being Nostradamus. Feck me Rangnick lives rent free in some of your minds.
Well he was certainly living in the minds of many on here the last 6 months with the amount of fan fictions people created about what he has been doing and what he will be doing based on feck all.

Not really, people didnt pay attention and let their imaginations run away from them.

When we were initially linked with him the reports said he'd only leave Moscow if he had a guaranteed longer term role to replace the one he was leaving (eg £££), couple that with United only confirming he would be a ''consultant'' in the official statement when he was hired. And it was obvious the consultancy only existed to get him on board as Interim manager and would likely not amount to much or peter out (as it has). Yet on here you had people thinking he would be the de facto DOF, he was rebuilding the club from the ground up, audits, assessments, dossiers. Nonsense repeated often enough that it became fact for some.

Last edited:

stevoc

I might be remembering it wrong and be wide of the mark but wasn’t that exactly what the club said his role was? Maybe believing anything the club says is delusional at this point though I suppose!
No when he was hired the official statement only stated he would be a consultant, but other than that his future role was pretty vague.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Thank feck for that. An end to that damn awful thread. Now they can focus on drooling over his Austria performances.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Not really, people didnt pay attention and let their imaginations run away from them.

When we were initially linked with him the reports said he'd only leave Moscow if he had a guaranteed longer term role to replace the one he was leaving (eg £££), couple that with United only confirming he would be a ''consultant'' in the official statement when he was hired. And it was obvious the consultancy only existed to get him on board as Interim manager and would likely not amount to much or peter out (as it has). Yet on here you had people thinking he would be the de facto DOF, he was rebuilding the club from the ground up, audits, assessments, dossiers. Nonsense repeated often often enough that it became fact.

The first time I posted in the other thread (because I don't really care that much about Ralf).

Was in response to this post.

"The consultancy thing - as reported at the time - was a sweetener to get him to leave his long term contract at Lokomotiv. Also, as reported at the time and since, nobody has any idea what Rangnick's "upstairs" gig will actually entail.

Rangnick himself has publicly stated that he has no idea what his consultancy role will involve or what his day-to-day will be, or how much weight his words will have. We'll more than likely be paying him 6 figures to pick up the phone twice a month a thousand miles from Manchester.

The idea that we got him as a consultant first and an interim second is not at all supported by reports, reason or Rangnick himself. And yet its the people who have paid attention to the reports and to reason and to Rangnick himself that "don't get it." "

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ral...ger-does-anyone-rate-him.467305/post-28768693

That was in late April but certain posters continued to ignore all sense (and reports and evidence to the contrary) to push their own fantastical narrative FOR WEEKS while simultaneously telling anyone who opposed their agenda that they were basically stupid.

stevoc

This plus the fact all of those statements and reports were routinely posted to counter the speculation and those posters were ignored too (or belittled and basically told they were stupid and didn't understand football/ see the bigger picture).

I'm pretty sure you were pointing it out for months (amongst others).

It was mass delusion based on willful ignorance for the most part.
Yeah it got pretty nasty at times if you didn't drink the Rangnick kool-aid and dared suggest he won't have much of a role beyond the season. You'd like to think some of those posters now realize they were actually the ones being a bit thick but I doubt it.

Lyng

Well he was certainly living in the minds of many on here the last 6 months with the amount of fan fictions people created about what he has been doing and what he will be doing based on feck all.

When we were initially linked with him the reports said he'd only leave Moscow if he had a guaranteed longer term role to replace the one he was leaving (eg £££), couple that with United only confirming he would be a ''consultant'' in the official statement when he was hired. And it was obvious the consultancy only existed to get him on board as Interim manager and would likely not amount to much or peter out (as it has). Yet on here you had people thinking he would be the de facto DOF, he was rebuilding the club from the ground up, audits, assessments, dossiers. Nonsense repeated often often enough that it became fact.
Which makes the decision even more baffling. Why go to such length to get him for this job, when he is a terrible fit for that job. Anyone with any knowledge of German football would know his strengths AND especially his weaknesses.
Makes Murtough seem completely clueless.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Fantasy: Rangnick is exposing all these players for the useless crap they are.
Reality: Rangnick saying he can see McTominay being United's captain in a few years.

stevoc

The first time I posted in the other thread (because I don't really care that much about Ralf).

Was in response to this post.

"The consultancy thing - as reported at the time - was a sweetener to get him to leave his long term contract at Lokomotiv. Also, as reported at the time and since, nobody has any idea what Rangnick's "upstairs" gig will actually entail.

Rangnick himself has publicly stated that he has no idea what his consultancy role will involve or what his day-to-day will be, or how much weight his words will have. We'll more than likely be paying him 6 figures to pick up the phone twice a month a thousand miles from Manchester.

The idea that we got him as a consultant first and an interim second is not at all supported by reports, reason or Rangnick himself. And yet its the people who have paid attention to the reports and to reason and to Rangnick himself that "don't get it." "

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ral...ger-does-anyone-rate-him.467305/post-28768693

That was in late April but certain posters continued to ignore all sense (and reports and evidence to the contrary) to push their own fantastical narrative FOR WEEKS while simultaneously telling anyone who opposed their agenda that they were basically stupid.
Yeah it took a while for it dawn on some of them that it was all nonsense.

They couldn't see the forest for the bigger picture.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So over the past decade, Rangnick spent, what, 2 years in a coaching job? And the rest he spent in a front office job, building up Hoffenheim and then the Red Bull monstrosity. By last winter he'd been a coach for like 2 months in the last, what 9 years? How exactly did United think this was the guy to rescue this season? The whole point of hiring him should have been the consultancy gig, whatever form that took - if United were smart, that's shadow DoF - instead they hired literally an EX manager to be only a manager?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So over the past decade, Rangnick spent, what, 2 years in a coaching job? And the rest he spent in a front office job, building up Hoffenheim and then the Red Bull monstrosity. By last winter he'd been a coach for like 2 months in the last, what 9 years? How exactly did United think this was the guy to rescue this season? The whole point of hiring him should have been the consultancy gig, whatever form that took - if United were smart, that's shadow DoF - instead they hired literally an EX manager to be only a manager?
He once shook the hands of Klopp, Tuchel and Nagelsmann though.

GazTheLegend

As I've said in other threads, if you think of things in a United States business sense, Rangnick was brought in as a hatchet man: figure out what role everyone has, how competent they are in it, and whether it's possible to improve it. And then fire everyone obsolete/underperforming before the next guy comes in, so that the air is clear for them and they can move forward and they then hire a nicer, more encouraging manager to try to get things moving in the right direction. Look at who was fired, and who "left" their roles over the season. It's pretty obvious what Rangnick did for us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sounds strange but this is United were talking about

Lyng

Like I said, baffling and makes one wonder if Murtough is completely clueless.

stevoc

As I've said in other threads, if you think of things in a United States business sense, Rangnick was brought in as a hatchet man: figure out what role everyone has, how competent they are in it, and whether it's possible to improve it. And then fire everyone obsolete/underperforming before the next guy comes in, so that the air is clear for them and they can move forward and they then hire a nicer, more encouraging manager to try to get things moving in the right direction. Look at who was fired, and who "left" their roles over the season. It's pretty obvious what Rangnick did for us.
You don't think all the structural changes had more to do with the new DoF who only really started in the last year and the new CEO who only started in what February?

It's been reported by a few reliable sources now that Rangnick had very little if any input on changes upstairs. And why would he he was simply the first team manager and nothing more.

After the abysmal season we just had it looks like Arnold and Murtagh decided to clean house and get rid of anyone who's underperformed in their role which of course included Rangnick.

Lyng

You don't think all the structural changes had more to do with the new DoF who only really started in the last year and the new CEO who only started in what February?

It's been reported by a few reliable sources now that Rangnick had very little if any input on changes upstairs. And why would he he was simply the first team manager and nothing more.

After the abysmal season we just had it looks like Arnold and Murtagh decided to clean house and get rid of anyone who's underperformed in their role which of course included Rangnick.
Murtough was the one who wanted Rangnick. Clearly he didn't do any homework .

phelans shorts

Murtough was the one who wanted Rangnick. Clearly he didn't do any homework .
Or he thought (wrongly) that Ralf would keep himself in check for 6 months, even Mourinho would have done that ffs

Nobody thinks hiring Rangnick wasn’t a mistake, it’s righted now let’s scrub him from memory. It’s what he deserves